Mason Greenwood (Please post respectfully)

Do you want Mason Greenwood to return next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryBerryShrew

It’d be interesting to know how many of the people that have voted yes have daughters of their own.
I haven't voted and I haven't really given the situation much thought since MG got suspended, but I wonder how many of the people who voted no had no problem with CR7 "coming home" to us.

BarstoolProphet

Many voting no because of what he did, sure have a looser moral compass when it comes to the potential Qatari Royal ownership. Especially when we know which is worse.

Either have a strong ethical view on both or neither.
Does that apply to life in general or just United-related stuff? Because most people would struggle to uphold that.

NLunited

I did not hear the audio. From what I‘ve heard, he is back with the woman who forgave him and they are having a child.

If the club want to give him a chance, it‘s ok with me

pauldyson1uk

I do find it a little amusing that there are some who fret about the club's debt repayments and claim it's ruining the club (hence the twerking for Qatar), yet some of the very same people are on this thread casually calling for the club to throw away a ~£120m asset (4 years of debt repayments!)

All I can say is thank God they aren't in positions of power over the club!
where the feck have you got £120m from ?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think the club are gonna be looking a lot online over the views of the fans and go with the majority. They won’t want any bad reputation on the club. Don’t know how he’ll cope with rival fans chanting every week about him though.

Withnail

Whether we think it appropriate or not, the sentiment of not being able to cheer him on would fade once he scores a few goals.
Not for me it wouldn't. I'd seriously have to consider whether I could continue watching the team. At the moment I don't think I would.

Mainoldo

I think that's highly unlikely because he's never gonna admit he abused or raped her in public.
Bro. There is literally zero evidence to ever say he raped her. I don’t know why that still circulates.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I guess all those that have voted ‘no’ also think that prisoners should not be allowed to work when released from prison. In fact… no… all people that have been arrested (and had charges dropped) should have no future either?
That is a very poor assumption to make. One thing doesn't follow from the other.

stw2022

He was a developing player who has missed so much football that it cannot not have a negative impact on his development. I'd rather get rid than factor him in preying he's going to get back to his best and finding ourselves short when almost inevitably he doesn't.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Think the club are gonna be looking a lot online over the views of the fans and go with the majority. They won’t want any bad reputation on the club. Don’t know how he’ll cope with rival fans chanting every week about him though.
I think the decision has been made, they were waiting until the end of the season, or perhaps the sale, before announcing it

macheda14

Bro. There is literally zero evidence to ever say he raped her. I don’t know why that still circulates.
Did you listen to the audio? There’s no concrete evidence but there is audio of him saying he will have sex with her if he wants to and her saying no.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Question For the people that voted NO

.... If we sell him and use the money to further the clubs goals, is that just as bad or nearly as bad as making him play for us again?

Kinda like blood money? Or is it fine to use the money.
I'd feel uncomfortable about us using the money. If we could guarantee that they'd accept it, I'd want us to donate it to charities but they might see it as tainted and reject it. I've seen charities turn down money before when they've felt is come from questionable people/sources.

Ideal scenario might be to invite bids of £0. Definitely don't want him to play for us again.

Red Star One

For the "second chance" crew, and I anyhow understand your sentiment - do you take into account the context and the fact we are a global enterprise, with hundreds of millions of fans globally and a very diverse following? Even if you don't condemn Greenwood on the moral grounds, do you see that for PR reasons it would be very risky to bring him back? Sure there are second chances, but we're talking poster boy for one of the biggest sports institutions in the world - there are mistakes you don't come back from, even if at times it feels unfair.
Didn’t get an answer to this and I’m genuinely curious

I’m so shocked it’s not a landslide in the poll

Phil Jones Face

I'm not even sure some of his team mates, especially those with daughters themselves, would want him back.

They would have seen the audio and pictures too. No self respecting man could look at him the same way again.

Giggsy13

Yes but with a number of caveats and conditions. For one and if/when the club permits, the player to speak to show actual regret and contrition; and donate a years worth of salary and percentage moving forward to various charities chosen by the club with a focus on women and other vulnerable groups.

I can appreciate for many that these sort of actions by him or the club will never be good enough nor will it matter to the sponsors and parties with a vested interest in the club. Sadly, money will dictate how this will ultimately end.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Opposition fans were singing those types of chants at Ronaldo every week last season. It wasn't something that the club or the player found difficult to cope with.

DJ_21

I think the decision has been made, they were waiting until the end of the season, or perhaps the sale, before announcing it
I don’t think we’ll have him back. Don’t think the woman team will be comfortable with him back either.

DJ_21

Opposition fans were singing those types of chants at Ronaldo every week last season. It wasn't something that the club or the player found difficult to cope with.
Ronaldos a lot older though. Could affect a young player.

GL21

Young people make mistakes, especially those such as footballers who aren't in touch with the real world. If the whole thing was a fact he was being convicted with then its too big a mistake to forgive and would learn the hard way behind bars. But because this is not the case I feel he does deserve a second chance. Thank God I had people gave me 2nd chances when my life could have went another direction

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
Voted no, but less so based on my verdict, which is rather insignificant given the distance between me and the truth in all its aspects, and more so based on the PR nightmare handling a continuing collaboration would mean, as I see it.

I'd clearly back the club taking the entire financial hit and ending the contract, or selling to spend the money to charity, with both being useful PR wise, which would be well deserved from my point of view. Yet, I'd also back them asking for a (presumably lowered) transfer fee, since none of this was the fault of anyone at the club other than the player as a private person.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'd feel uncomfortable about us using the money. If we could guarantee that they'd accept it, I'd want us to donate it to charities but they might see it as tainted and reject it. I've seen charities turn down money before when they've felt is come from questionable people/sources.

Ideal scenario might be to invite bids of £0. Definitely don't want him to play for us again.
why?

BarstoolProphet

Murderers and war criminals are given second chances, not sure why MG is being held to a higher standard. He’s not been found guilty and has borne the weight of public judgment. Time to get him in the field where he belongs.
I'm pretty sure if a high-profile player gets suspected, nevermind convicted of war crimes or murder, then I'm pretty sure said player would never play at a high-profile club again. Also they aren't being given second chances because everyone thinks they deserve it, but because of the law. Utterly weird comparison and I suspect you will acknowledge that when thinking it a bit more through.

Thiagoal

Fans are very fickle though. I’d imagine the majority of people that have voted no on this poll will forget as soon as Mason smashes one in the net.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don’t think we’ll have him back. Don’t think the woman team will be comfortable with him back either.
If the club had any sense they will have been asked for their views, and they will have been given a lot more information than any of us on here have

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Try to sell him abroad if we can. So let down by him. Was the most excited I'd been about an academy talent for years and years. I do believe in second chances but a harder, less glamorous one, not waltzing straight back in to Manchester United, wouldn't sit right at all. Someone in Italy will hopefully take him.
Roma probably.

For me it's a 100% no. Just no.

bludsucker

What was the situation here? It feels very important in assessing the situation but I've not really kept up with things
Well the last i heard was that greenwood and the lady in question are having a child and will get married in due time. The news might be untrue but they had been living together for months before the case was dropped. In fact that was one of the reasons why the prosecution dropped the case.

Someone

Something
We've all heard the tape. Maybe she forgave him, but we don't have to.

There must be more to football than just winning. We can't keep singing songs for someone who did something like that. The poll is shocking to be honest.

HarryP

Nobody knows the true context of the video or audio clip. They look and sound bad but lots of things do look worse when absent of their true context.

Relationships are incredibly complex and I find it unnerving that so many feel they know exactly what happened and what the context was. As said before, couples regularly engage in all sorts of sexual roleplay and that's a possibility in this instance. We just don't know.

What we do know is that Mason Greenwood was investigated in depth and the Police concluded in the end that he had no case to answer. We are supposed to live in a society governed by laws with police and courts used to enforce them, while we respect and abide by the outcomes decided (even if we disagree sometimes)

I think it's incredibly arrogant and frankly outrageous that so many on here think they are effectively above the law and think the club ought to instead adhere to a trial by social media. Shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.