Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Whilst I am all for giving him a go, it should be from the bench. There is no need to rush the lad, he's only 17. It would be better if we started someone like Chong, to actually see if he's worth keeping around, where as I think we all know Mason will be around for a while if he keeps netting at every age group. Even if he isn't fantastic in the cameo appearances he might get in the coming weeks, he has time to introspect and train the parts he's missing.

SteveW

If we need to play one of them it should be Greenwood over Chong.

He may be a couple years younger but he's a lot stronger and a much more intelligent, well rounded footballer. Chong would really struggle in the first team right now. He's far too weak and his decision making and touch aren't at that level yet.

Greenwood on the other hand is already quite big and strong and a very polished footballer. I think he'd settle in easily.

Aloysius's Back 3

The reason that Greenwood should play over Chong is simple.

Greenwood is on paper a carbon copy of Rashford & Martial - the finishing, the dribbling, the fact of being a forward more so than a winger & most importantly; his left foot is something we lack on the right side of our attack.

Martial doing what he does with his right foot & Greenwood doing what he does with his left at the same time? Has the potential to cause trouble never mind dealing with Rashford somewhere in between clearing up the defence.

SteveW

I don't think he has. I feel like he's struggled more with finishing because the bus was parked, and Sbragia's entire side was struggling to create anything. His general play was really good as it always is. A bad performance for the standards he has set is just not scoring.

I know Chong is more likely for the very reason you stated, but I struggle to see how he's more ready than Greenwood other than the fact that he's older. And it's not like playing at 17 is some huge no no. Sessegnon played at 17 for example.
Completely agree. Greenwood hasn't struggled. His finishing has been off for a couple of games but he's still looked the best player on the pitch in pretty much all other aspects. He's been fouled a lot but nobody's actually even looked like shrugging him off a ball or beating him for strength.

Chong on the other hand has been struggling.

mav_9me

If we need to play one of them it should be Greenwood over Chong.

He may be a couple years younger but he's a lot stronger and a much more intelligent, well rounded footballer. Chong would really struggle in the first team right now. He's far too weak and his decision making and touch aren't at that level yet.

Greenwood on the other hand is already quite big and strong and a very polished footballer. I think he'd settle in easily.
Always has felt that way when I have seen him. That's what makes me think he ultimately wont make it with us.

SteveW

Here's Mason "struggling" with the physicality of the u23s a couple of weeks ago. Except he didn't. He's actually one of the biggest, strongest lads on the pitch

jb8521

Get a fecking grip. Prior to the PSG defeat we had actually won all our games bar one and the draw wasn't down to lack of youth in the team. Has that actually passed you by? The injuries occurred during the PSG game so no justification for Greenwood's inclusion on the bench ahead of senior players.His time will come and bear in mind he was marked out of the Youth Cup defeat what makes you think he'd have success against proven internationals in PSG?

As for Southampton and Palace, you write as if a win is a given!!! Two teams who are resurgent and one which has beaten City away, and drew with us at home.

This isn't the forum for Ole bashing
He wasn't marked out of the Youth Cup game, the ball didn't go in for him, they fouled him at every opportunity & they packed their box with players but he wasn't even close to being marked out of it

Gordon S

I think everyone at the club knows that Mason is the golden boy and is as ready as anyone else in the reserves.
But i would guess they are protecting him from media hype, or something like that now. Can't see no other reason to not start playing him now.

BootsyCollins

He was set to play against Reading(?) but then got injured.
Chelsea away and Liverpool in the league might be stupid to let him have his debut on, but then again our current young forwards did great against top teams on theirs.

gregor

He’s more ready than Chong in my opinion.
I just don't see it with Chong.

Greenwood on the other hand is ready for first team football imo. Of course he shouldn't be thrown in tough games, but against lesser opostion he is more than capable to play some minutes. Maybe on the wing simillar to what SAF was doing with Welbeck and others.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentP

At least with Solskjaer, we know that he'll play the kid when he feels he's ready. If only we got an easier team in the FA cup, we could have seen him play for us sooner.

TsuWave

Here's Mason "struggling" with the physicality of the u23s a couple of weeks ago. Except he didn't. He's actually one of the biggest, strongest lads on the pitch
Man I love the way this kid plays

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

This kids got everything....on a side note, what a lousy performance from Southampton, at that level what are they learning playing like that :houllier:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wind your neck in and take a breath before you go on uncessary rants with invented claims.

- Our back up options have been poor (Lukaku central, Mata right) and the team has been weaker for it. We scraped a draw v Burnley, struggled at Newcastle, were able to coast with limited input against a poor Fulham and looked very poor 2nd half v PSG. There will be ganes where the margins are tight and having a sub or a rotation option capable of high performance, could be the difference

- PSG was not a game for Greenwood and Co due to the lack of playing time before. Cultivation is key and my criticism of OGS is the failure to offer starts or serious mins v Burnley and Fulham. They could have proven themselves as bench options for the PSG games and beyond, instead of us relying on the usual Plan B that many predicted would fail

- Saints and Palace are our relatively easy games this month, but remain a challenge. I agree that it is a risk playing youth, but so is playing a central Lukkaku and right sided Mata. At least with youth, there is a greater chance of something different happening, while there is nothing to suggest that the failed Plan B will be any different

- as for 'OGS bashing', you have gone of tangent. My only main criticism on OGS is persisting with the same failed selections, instead of giving youth an oppurtunity to succeed where they have failed. If you think that OGS should be beyond any criticism, then maybe you should create a thread for positive comments only
This is the youth forum pal. You started the Ole argument.

So if anyone should create a thread about Ole, maybe you should!

Er...Saints and Palace are easy games? mind boggles:rolleyes:

PS: Check your grammar and spelling a bit more. It wouldn't lend credibility to your posts but at least show that you're literate;)

SoCross

I just don't see it with Chong.

Greenwood on the other hand is ready for first team football imo. Of course he shouldn't be thrown in tough games, but against lesser opostion he is more than capable to play some minutes. Maybe on the wing simillar to what SAF was doing with Welbeck and others.
Same. I don’t think Chong will make it but naturally want to see him given an opportunity to do so. If Greenwood doesn’t establish himself with us, I’m giving up on the youth system.

Bola

PS: Check your grammar and spelling a bit more. It wouldn't lend credibility to your posts but at least show that you're literate;)
Shame you used that post to make ad hominems and also show poor comprehension (easy and easier), rather than contribute constructively to the discussion.

SteveW

I hate posts like this. A couple of typos in a post hardly show someone isn't literate. You just didn't want to discuss his points so you attacking his grammar.

The guy is clearly well spoken and has a good grasp of the language. Hate to think what you say to posters who have English as a 2nd or 3rd language.

Inigo Montoya

I hate posts like this. A couple of typos in a post hardly show someone isn't literate. You just didn't want to discuss his points so you attacking his grammar.

The guy is clearly well spoken and has a good grasp of the language. Hate to think what you say to posters who have English as a 2nd or 3rd language.
That’s quite a leap. :lol:
English isn’t my first language either and I’m not making fun of that so stop with the sanctimony

Inigo Montoya

Same. I don’t think Chong will make it but naturally want to see him given an opportunity to do so. If Greenwood doesn’t establish himself with us, I’m giving up on the youth system.
If he doesn’t establish himself it will be because of number of reasons: injury, moves on like Sancho, temperament,maybe ultimately not good enough. Who knows?

The kid looks amazing and I’d love for him to make it here but after Ravel crashed out,I’m no longer getting over excited. The disappointment is too much

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So Ole says that he'd have gotten a chance against Chelsea cos Lingard and Martial are injured but he himself is injured for two weeks.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The lad must be cursed, two opportunities and he's been injured for both.

Bola

Arrse.

Just hope OGS sticks to his sentiments when Greenwood is fit

SteveW

FFS. Guess we're stuck with slow motion football for the next few weeks. Mason was the last decent option imo.

Bola

FFS. Guess we're stuck with slow motion football for the next few weeks. Mason was the last decent option imo.
It's annoying

There is always Chong and/ or Gomes. If they do a good job, it will hopefully pave a way for Greenwood and others

macheda14

Well that final sentence is a nightmare.

‘It wouldn’t lend credibility to your posts[,] but [it would] at least show that you’re literate.’

If you’re going to tell someone to check their grammar, then perhaps you should get it right yourself?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
That’s quite a leap. :lol:
English isn’t my first language either and I’m not making fun of that so stop with the sanctimony
Always the insecure ones correcting others...

Fixing someone's spelling or grammar on the internet as a point to bring them down is one of the most clingiest things I see online. Something I expect from highschoolers who just find out the difference between you're and your and start pasting it wherever they can.

SteveW

It's annoying

There is always Chong and/ or Gomes. If they do a good job, it will hopefully pave a way for Greenwood and others
Is that any use though?

Gomes is a CM. Chong frustrates the life out of me in the reserves so I have little to no interest in seeing him in the first team.

SteveW

Always the insecure ones correcting others...

Fixing someone's spelling or grammar on the internet as a point to bring them down is one of the most clingiest things I see online. Something I expect from highschoolers who just find out the difference between you're and your and start pasting it wherever they can.
I do it myself at times. We all have pet peeves. It bothers me when people say "irregardless" or "less" instead of "fewer"

But there's few things more pathetic than people actually critiquing grammar in place of an argument. Or doing is as point scoring when they can't think of a response.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I do it myself at times. We all have pet peeves. It bothers me when people say "irregardless" or "less" instead of "fewer"

But there's few things more pathetic than people actually critiquing grammar in place of an argument. Or doing is as point scoring when they can't think of a response.
Irregardless is part of the dictionary now btw

Bola

Is that any use though?

Gomes is a CM. Chong frustrates the life out of me in the reserves so I have little to no interest in seeing him in the first team.
Gomes would work best at the tip of the diamond, but could also perform the inside forward role. When we consider that Lingard is currently first choice on the right flank, he plays more like an attacking mid than a winger. This suggests both could do a job

Chong is raw, but can at least perform the functions of a wide player in getting behind defenders and running at them.

I'm at the point now where I'm utterly sick of seeing Mata played put wide, Lukaku take the piss centrally and could be a game away from losing my patience with Sanchez. Having youth is a shot in the arm and privides hope of something different.

Still gutted that Greenwood got injured, just can't wait until he gets his chance as he looks something special

Last edited:

Rossa

I don't mind the occasional grammar mistake or even spelling mistake. Let's face it, many of us type on phones that autocorrect all over the place.

However, when people neglect any use of punctuation, it gets a little harder to read. Mumbo Jumbo worked, but few of us here are novellists.

Attacking someone's post because of their writing is neither here nor there. A friendly suggestion, on the other hand:D

SteveW

I don't mind the occasional grammar mistake or even spelling mistake. Let's face it, many of us type on phones that autocorrect all over the place.

However, when people neglect any use of punctuation, it gets a little harder to read. Mumbo Jumbo worked, but few of us here are novellists.

Attacking someone's post because of their writing is neither here nor there. A friendly suggestion, on the other hand:D
I got the highest marks in English in school and was always encouraged to go into writing. Yet Id say I rarely if ever manage a fully grammatically correct post on here. Mainly from typing on a phone. That's why the whole idea of using a couple of typos to take someone down is so fecking stupid. It's a football forum at the end of the day.

SteveW

Gomes would work best at the tip of the diamond, but could also perform the inside forward role. When we consider that Lingard is currently first choice on the right flank, he plays more like an attacking mid than a winger. This suggests both could do a job

Chong is raw, but can at least perform the functions of a wide player in getting behind defenders and running at them.

I'm at the point now where I'm utterly sick of seeing Mata played put wide, Lukaku take the piss centrally and could be a game away from losing my patience with Sanchez. Having youth is a shot in the arm and privides hope of something different.

Still gutted that Greenwood got injured, just can't wait until he gets his chance as he looks something special
I hear you. The idea of watching mata and Sanchez shuffle around again is not something I relish. I can understand why people would want something g different. I just wonder how they'll feel when Chong keeps giving the ball to Chelsea which he inevitably will. He's not talentless , he's just not ready.

Greenwood would have been a much better option. I think ole needs to find another system for the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.