Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Sarcasm ? related to previous posts in this thread ? chill out man! no need to be agressive.
Gotcha. Didn't mean to be aggressive. To be fair had you meant it it would have deserved that response

fitzmertz

It was great of Ole to take him down to Selhurst Park even though he was injured. This will make Mason believe that he would have been involved if he was fit. Ole is great at man management.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It was great of Ole to take him down to Selhurst Park even though he was injured. This will make Mason believe that he would have been involved if he was fit. Ole is great at man management.
No need to play those games,Ole stated before the game that he'd be involved if it wasn't for the injury

Red00012

He will probably be on the bench , squad of 20 so 2 won’t make the bench. Grant will be 1 and Williams will probably be the 2nd.

MPTutd

The more and more I read about Mason, the more I get excited. Having watched him play a lot on MUTV, I don't think I have ever been this excited about a youth player before. And I went through the Ravel, Pogba, Keane and Rossi years.....

meamth

The more and more I read about Mason, the more I get excited. Having watched him play a lot on MUTV, I don't think I have ever been this excited about a youth player before. And I went through the Ravel, Pogba, Keane and Rossi years.....
It's exciting because the lad looks like a proper mannered kid. Down to earth, humble and looking determined to be a United player.

meamth

Stumbled upon this on YouTube..

I'm so bored, let's talk about this kid again.
Let's make a bet, how high can this kid go?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

If he keeps grounded and doesn't get bad injuries I fully believe he will become one of the top 4 or 5 players in the world. He's absolutely incredible. Lethal finisher. Both footed, skillful and takes a mean set piece too.

I went to see him when he bagged a hatrick vs Chelsea in the youth cup. Chelsea hadn't lost a youth cup tie for 4 years at that point but he single handedly knocked them out. He was out of this world. You could see he had superstar quality back then. His start in the first team has been nothing short of frightening. He just scores goals.

romufc

You can see he has wonderful ability... He will get game time. Ole has handled him brilliantly so far IMO.

All the talk of Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Bruno, we are forgetting this guy is coming through.

He is one I cannot wait to see flourish.

kidbob

I think that at his 'lowest' development he'll become a very good player. At his 'top' development then he can surpass a RVP level. I think regardless of what level of development he reaches he will be wanted here and an important player, that's how good he is. If anything his debut season hasn't been appreciated enough in my opinion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he keeps focused he could be anything he wants.

His footballing brain is very good, he sees a pass and his technique is almost perfect. If he can keep up his ambidextrous ability and work on his heading he could be the complete striker.

georgipep

His footballing brain is very good, he sees a pass and his technique is almost perfect. If he can keep up his ambidextrous ability and work on his heading he could be the complete striker.
Pretty much this. All you can hope for from a young talent is to keep focused, work hard and avoid heavy injuries.

If his progress curve continues in the same manner next season, by the end of it Martial will most likely find his starting spot under huge pressure.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think that at his 'lowest' development he'll become a very good player. At his 'top' development then he can surpass a RVP level. I think regardless of what level of development he reaches he will be wanted here and an important player, that's how good he is. If anything his debut season hasn't been appreciated enough in my opinion.
Credit to OGS on that one, he's managed to keep him wrapped in cotton wool, and away from a lot of the hype that would have been heading his way, had he featured even more.

SambaBoy

I don't think he will be a top 4-5 player in the world. His stats are amazing for such a young player in a tough league whilst not really starting games. I haven't seen anything in his first team games to suggest he's got enough of an all round game to reach that sort of level however it's only a judgment on a short sample size. His finishing is top class already and he's two footed which is a massive benefit for a striker.

I'm not sure what position he will play in the long run, he's too slight to play as a number 9 and I know people will say he's young and he will grow into his body but he's not going to turn into a massive beast like Ronaldo did or even Rashford has done in the last 1-2 years. He lacks pace to be a proper out and out winger. His dribbling is excellent in terms of keeping the ball close to his body and being able to confuse a defender, but you need some sort of strength and pace to make the most of it. A number 10 is probably his best position but not many teams play with them now so it's difficult to say he will play there.

He lacks a bit of pace. I think that will hold him back slightly, the league is a lot faster than when other slower players like RVP/RVN were up and coming. He will need to develop all his other abilities to the maximum potential to be a real star.

Drainy

He lacks a bit of pace. I think that will hold him back slightly, the league is a lot faster than when other slower players like RVP/RVN were up and coming. He will need to develop all his other abilities to the maximum potential to be a real star.
He is quicker than you think and will get quicker and more explosive when his body matures and strengthens.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Yet his top speed this season is quicker than any other United player...

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's not a particularly powerful runner, but he is quicker than you'd think. The habit of ghosting into a position rather than busting a gut is also a massive skill on its own, and Greenwood is already looking like one of the best in the squad at it!

Yet his top speed this season is quicker than any other United player...
Top speed means very little in football. It's obvious from watching him he does not have the explosive pace of Rashford or James. As @Drainy says he might develop some of it and it will make his life a lot easier if he does.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He needs to develop a lot of the center forward skill set than his pace if he wants to mature into a #9. He's such a great finisher with a crisp strike that he needs to be in and around the box every time an attack develops. He goes missing way too often when he is tasked with that role.

There's plenty of players who like the ball at their feet, very few have his finishing ability and given the number of creators behind him, he'll cement himself quicker if he becomes a pure striker.

El Zoido

He needs to develop a lot of the center forward skill set than his pace if he wants to mature into a #9. He's such a great finisher with a crisp strike that he needs to be in and around the box every time an attack develops. He goes missing way too often when he is tasked with that role.

There's plenty of players who like the ball at their feet, very few have his finishing ability and given the number of creators behind him, he'll cement himself quicker if he becomes a pure striker.
Good job we have Ole in charge then. There’s barely a better person to learn from when it comes to putting yourself in position to score easy goals. Mason’s other attributes are solid, I’ve absolutely no doubt Ole will be great for his development. I think next season will be big for him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He genuinely doesn't, he is actually very quick he just struggled with his stamina bit playing on the wing, it's completely different than standing up front and getting your breathe back.

Greenwood is fast enough, look at the goal against Watford when he was full of energy, and he never lacked pace at youth level either.

Eventually when his body fills out he is going to be very quick, and already has a good top speed.

georgipep

Other users have commented already on Greenwood's pace so I'll only focus on the rest. While RvN may not have been the quickest, RVP was quite the pacy player and actually started as a winger.

Even searching through the redcafe archives can prove that: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/top-5-fastest-footballers-in-the-world.278583/post-7271087

romufc

I find it quite weird
“I think he turned up at a Great Britain under-13 100m sprint race and broke the Great Britain record. All the athletics people were after him at one point. Athletically he’s unbelievable.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-mason-greenwood-psg-15936458
Alot of posters questioning his pace and also mentioning his lack of all round ability from short sample size. He isnt the type of player that wants to run past players, he prefers ball to his feet and make movements.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that he is not quick enough on the pitch.

He isn't but it's also prove that he is not slow. His acceleration is what holds him back.
Which is what counts as a striker. Top speed is mostly irrelevant, I'm not sure why so many seem hung up on it. Players like Aguero might not have electric top speed but his ability to burst away from defenders made him what he is. Same with Messi, same with R9, and a million other great forwards. Acceleration is what matters.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
“I think he turned up at a Great Britain under-13 100m sprint race and broke the Great Britain record. All the athletics people were after him at one point. Athletically he’s unbelievable.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-mason-greenwood-psg-15936458
Not that I'm saying he is slow but sprinting and running at a defense with the ball at your feet are different things, the latter requires a lot more football skill and technique. Dan James has pace in abundance but his overall package is nothing close to Greenwood even if you compare them as wide players.

Brightonian

His target should be to replace Lewandowski at the top of the 'best proper CF in the world' tree. Great all round game but a central focus on just banging in an absurd amount of goals.

My only fear is a bad or persistent injury.

Utdstar01

I don't think he will be a top 4-5 player in the world. His stats are amazing for such a young player in a tough league whilst not really starting games. I haven't seen anything in his first team games to suggest he's got enough of an all round game to reach that sort of level however it's only a judgment on a short sample size. His finishing is top class already and he's two footed which is a massive benefit for a striker.

I'm not sure what position he will play in the long run, he's too slight to play as a number 9 and I know people will say he's young and he will grow into his body but he's not going to turn into a massive beast like Ronaldo did or even Rashford has done in the last 1-2 years. He lacks pace to be a proper out and out winger. His dribbling is excellent in terms of keeping the ball close to his body and being able to confuse a defender, but you need some sort of strength and pace to make the most of it. A number 10 is probably his best position but not many teams play with them now so it's difficult to say he will play there.
Basically, you're making some assumptions here on the basis of nothing?

romufc

Basically, you're making some assumptions here on the basis of nothing?
I sometimes wonder what the expectations for a 17 year old is.

In my view, get some game time - get a feel of the league and first team football. He starts cup / EL games and has shown at that level what he can do.

With respects to his all round game, I have seen glimpses of what he can do, fast forward a year or two when he gets to start games, we will see him impacting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.