Mason Melia - the next Evan Ferguson?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Youngest player ever to start for his LOI club? Tick

Youngest player ever to score for his LOI club? Tick.

Big for his age? Tick.

So far, so Evan Ferguson…

Currently taking U17 Euros by storm with two goals and two assists in a 4-2 win over Hungary that put Ireland through to the QF. Born in 2007. Apparently Liverpool (spit) want to sign him but can’t do anything until 2026 (cos Brexit) so some big German clubs sniffing round.

Getting this thread started early so I can look like some kind of football scouting genius in a few years time. Safe in the knowledge that none of you cnuts will remember it if he disappears into obscurity.

On a more serious note recruiting talent from Ireland is a hell of a lot more difficult after Brexit. Evan Ferguson wouldn’t be playing for Brighton right now if it wasn’t for his English mum. So we can expect a lot of the next generation of Irish PL talent to either stay in Ireland much longer or learn their game on the continent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Youngest player ever to start for his LOI club? Tick

Youngest player ever to score for his LOI club? Tick.

Big for his age? Tick.

So far, so Evan Ferguson…

Currently taking U17 Euros by storm with two goals and two assists in a 4-2 win over Hungary that put Ireland through to the QF. Born in 2007. Apparently Liverpool (spit) want to sign him but can’t do anything until 2026 (cos Brexit) so some big German clubs sniffing round.

Getting this thread started early so I can look like some kind of football scouting genius in a few years time. Safe in the knowledge that none of you cnuts will remember it if he disappears into obscurity.

On a more serious note recruiting talent from Ireland is a hell of a lot more difficult after Brexit. Evan Ferguson wouldn’t be playing for Brighton right now if it wasn’t for his English mum. So we can expect a lot of the next generation of Irish PL talent to either stay in Ireland much longer or learn their game on the continent.
Probably better for Irish football though, no? I think Scotland is benefitting from a lot of their young lads playing on the continent first.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Probably better for Irish football though, no? I think Scotland is benefitting from a lot of their young lads playing on the continent first.
It has definitely been better for our league. We are now seeing more young players breakthrough and play a season or two before moving to England, usually to a lower league team but the player is then straight into a first team rather than a loan merry-go-round for a couple of seasons.

cyberman

Lot of young, Irish players heading off to Italy.
We have some serious talent coming through.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ireland would be mad with Grealish, Rice, Ferguson, Bazunu and all these lot.

Great to see develop.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why is this though given the UK and Ireland still have free movement? Cause they're under 18?

Fr. Todd Unctious

Had been saying for years I wish a lot of our younger lads would look beyond England and Scotland as the be all and end all. You look at some of the Scandinavian countries you see them with players playing in Spain/Italy for random teams like e.g Celta Vigo/Udinese/Verona etc..

Thanks to Brexit there's been a good few gone to the continent particularly Italy.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It has definitely been better for our league. We are now seeing more young players breakthrough and play a season or two before moving to England, usually to a lower league team but the player is then straight into a first team rather than a loan merry-go-round for a couple of seasons.
I think it's better that the Prem money doesn't allow teams to just hoard youth players now, there's plenty of talent here we should focus on and on the flip side there is a steadier progression path for younger players from other leagues, that seems to be resulting in longer term success.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Had been saying for years I wish a lot of our younger lads would look beyond England and Scotland as the be all and end all. You look at some of the Scandinavian countries you them with players playing in Spain/Italy for random teams like e.g Celta Vigo/Udinese etc..

Thanks to Brexit there's been a good few gone to the continent particularly Italy.
I even think the same about English players, cut your teeth by soaking up a different footballing culture. You'll no doubt be richer from the experience and will set you apart from others.

KiD MoYeS

I think it's better that the Prem money doesn't allow teams to just hoard youth players now, there's plenty of talent here we should focus on and on the flip side there is a steadier progression path for younger players from other leagues, that seems to be resulting in longer term success.
Our best younger players are now getting a taste for Europa League and Europa Conference too. It will hopefully result in better long-term development. There was a time when all the best young players in this country were littered around the bigger English academies, usually leading to these players becoming lost amongst the talent and ironically returning to League of Ireland to restart their careers.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our best younger players are now getting a taste for Europa League and Europa Conference too. It will hopefully result in better long-term development. There was a time when all the best young players in this country were littered around the bigger English academies, usually leading to these players becoming lost amongst the talent and ironically returning to League of Ireland to restart their careers.
Precisely and the path will become more well-trodden, so it will likely be emulated. Good news for all involved!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Why is this though given the UK and Ireland still have free movement? Cause they're under 18?
Because no one has legally challenged it yet. FIFA have a rule that international transfers below 18 aren’t allowed except for in the EU because FIFA doesn’t actually have any legal right to infringe on local employment laws. The same applies to Ireland and England and all it will take is someone challenging it and it will be allowed again.

Oscar Bonavena

Lot of young, Irish players heading off to Italy.
We have some serious talent coming through.
I think Irish underage football is also benefiting from the emergence of the 2nd generation kids of African, South American and European migrants that have moved to the country in the last 20 years.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Wow, what an amazing goal! wish Australia had a young player who could score goals like that. I'm going to send this to all my mates.

I think the best thing that can happen to this young man is if Pogue's not the agent trying to spruik him to the big clubs. :smirk:

Last edited:

sugar_kane

Now we've found the next Evan Ferguson can we move onto the real business of finding the next Mason Melia?

USREDEVIL

I've coached 2 masons in my coaching career (boys). They've both been epic. One is like a budding superstar. Sign him up asap.

Brophs

The One and Only
Bring him in. Then get some cockney to do the intro video, holding up three fingers and saying “Freemasons” into the camera.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Nobody in the UK can sign him until he's 18 so chances are he'll end up in Italy or Germany at least until he's older.

KiD MoYeS

Think he'll either stay one more season or sign for an EU team in January. He looks very good.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Nah, let’s do the usual: wait till he signs for a club like Ajax so we can then pay around £80m for him.

Last edited: