Mount’s kick out at Fred

Zoo

Why is this being ignored? Will Chelsea mention it on their website the next time we play them?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t think there’s a lot in that if I’m being honest, but I can’t help but think if that was a united player. :lol:

NinjaFletch

Such a non issue, and would generate reams of laughing emojis if we found Chelsea fans blowing up a similarly tiny issue.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I really don't think there is enough in this to deserve its own thread.... had a bit of conversation about it in the VAR thread (Or was it the CHO thread... or the Shaw thread, who knows at this point).

But really it's a yellow at most... so yeah, nothing incident.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Its a red card. Freds honesty keeps him on the field,

NinjaFletch

Players have been sent off for less.
And plenty of players haven't. I can think of Maguire and Bruno being involved in incidents as minor as this in recent games and we rightly took the piss out of rival fans demanding reds and penalties for them.

We should have had a penalty yesterday. Let's not dilute the validity of that point by blowing up every tiny incident.

SATA

Why did he pretend to writhe in pain after kicking out at Fred? Be a man if you wanna do that kind of thing

El Zoido

And plenty of players haven't. I can think of Maguire and Bruno being involved in incidents as minor as this in recent games and we rightly took the piss out of rival fans demanding reds and penalties for them.

We should have had a penalty yesterday. Let's not dilute the validity of that point by blowing up every tiny incident.
I don’t agree that players should be sent off for this kind of petty nonsense. But by the laws of the game it is a red.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

I'm not a Utd fan but think that's a pretty clear red.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s a clear red card. And odd that, with the benefit of VAR, it was not reviewed. Son was sent off against Chelsea last season for similar - Becks against the Argies etc. If Fred goes down he’s off.

CM10

It's the kind of thing that VAR might've looked at if Fred goes down in the same way Mount does in the clip. Maybe a more wily team or player would've done that but play acting isn't really the kind of thing you want to be encouraging either.

El Zoido

This. It’s a nothing really but you bet your house on it being a big deal if that’s one of our players.
BT would abandon their evening schedule to talk about it. Program would be called “we hate to talk about VAR again but this is important”.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I don't think Fred even feels it, or if he does, the force is so minimal he probably just think its Mount rolling over and not a kick out

That's why it's not a red, there there isn't any "excessive force" or "brutality" in that (it's why I and others believe Martial was wrongly sent off vs. Spurs)

acnumber9

Why is this being ignored? Will Chelsea mention it on their website the next time we play them?
I mentioned it in the match day thread. I knew Sky wouldn’t mention it again. Mount is an English darling. Can’t have that highlighted.

redrobed

If I did that to someone in the street I’d be arrested and yet it happens to a Utd player on the pitch and everyone just turns a blind eye

NinjaFletch

I don’t agree that players should be sent off for this kind of petty nonsense. But by the laws of the game it is a red.
You can make an argument for it (kicks or attempts to kick is definitely covered in the laws), but players are never routinely sent off for such things unless they make significant contact (and even then Maguire’s got away with 2 (I think?) against Chelsea).

It’s petulant and stupid from Mount, but there’s very little in it and I think it’s better for the game to have a higher bar than that.

ShinjiNinja26

Seen that at the time and was surprised no one mentioned it. I think if Fred made a big deal about it Mount could’ve been in trouble, they would’ve checked it at the very least.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
You can make an argument for it (kicks or attempts to kick is definitely covered in the laws), but players are never routinely sent off for such things.

It’s petulant and stupid from Mount, but there’s very little in it and I think it’s better for the game to have a higher bar than that.
I don't think the simple act of kicking out are? It's just "Violent Conduct" which is defined as:

Violent conduct
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

And like you, I don't think this incident ticks any of those boxes.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think the simple act of kicking out are? It's just "Violent Conduct" which is defined as:

Violent conduct
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

The bar should be lower for Mount to take into account intent. He’s not really capable of conjuring up enough force to reach these conditions otherwise.

NinjaFletch

Violent conduct

It’s under the direct free-kick section of law 12, but it has to hit the bar of excessive force to be a red. I can see the argument, but I don’t think it really reaches that bar.

tomaldinho1

I said this in the match day thread because there's two part for this.

1) it's a definite kick out and contact is made, however soft, I don't think anyone can watch the second angle in slow mo and defend Mount. That should be a red card.
2) There was angle of it where it looked like Fred goes studs up through Mount's achilles/heel before scissoring him, which would also be a red for me. I can't really tell if his right foot makes contact with Mount as it comes through from the above so a yellow is probably ok but, if there is contact from Fred there, he should probably have seen red as well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I quite honestly don't get the point of Mason Mount. He sees more of the ball than any Chelsea player and his creativity isn't really worth the profile of a #10 for a top 6 club. I can understand him at a cub like Southampton or Palace but honestly Havertz must be kicking himself for being unable to dislodge this lad from the starting XI.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Respect to Fred for not making a meal of it, perhaps he didn't even notice as it didn't connect.

Imagine if it was someone like Lamela on the end of it, would definitely have been a red as he'd be acting like he'd been shot.

The Original

And people are still showing it a year later. It didn’t get completely brushed under the carpet.
Which people? Random social media users? It's up to utd fans to do the same if they wish.

But from the quarters that matter, it was not even considered.

acnumber9

Which people? Random social media users? It's up to utd fans to do the same if they wish.

But from the quarters that matter, it was not even considered.
The media in general. Wasn’t it on Chelsea’s website yesterday?

saivet

Not really much in it to be honest, but it does demonstrate the benefit of diving.

rotherham_red

I saw that at the time and was screaming at the telly. I thought I was being gaslighted by everyone. How the feck didn't Neville or the commentators mention it? Or even the HT or FT analysis I will never know.

desertegil

Supports
ODDs Ballklubb
It does look like Mount deliberately tries to kick Fred, which would warrant a red card.