Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
If the net effect of this transfer is Mount-in McT/Fred-out, United has done well.
United doing 55+5m and 250kpw for this kind of signing is not unheard of, kind of norm even.
They can afford it.
Get it over with and work in goalie, striker, and CB.
Good striker/CF is hard to come by these days.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If this is not BS, this is further the theory that EtH promised him of no. 10 position. Arteta has Odegaard as main one there, and Klopp doesn't play a 10.
Arteta doesn't intend on playing a No10 this season. Mount has also said he prefers No 8.
We played without a 10 for much of last season. Bruno in most games, played deeper. I think that will continue.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What is not true? I've said severally midfield area is where our main problem is. ETH has vindicate that by all his signings. He has signed more midfielders than any other positions. Even now, before a striker a midfielder has already been signed.

If you think ETH is drunk then okay but I will stand by my position 2 midfielders + a striker will elevate this team immensely. Add Onana it becomes an all round elevation of the team.
We have very poor footballers in midfield and goalkeeping to achieve any meaningful success.

We average 53.4% possession closer to Newacastle 52%, Spurs 50% & far away from Brighton 60%, City 64%, Arsenal % Pool 60%. We are 6th in the metric.

We average 14k carries, closer to Spurs 13k, 12k (Newcastle, Fulham, Wolves, Villa) far away from 19k City, 17k Liverpool, 16k Arsenal & Chelsea. We are 7th in the metric.

In total distribution we are 7th on the metric.

Look at the stats here
https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/possession/Premier-League-Stats

All this point to a need in change for structure of the team, we can't be a ball over the top team, transition team forever. It has achieved nothing for us while other teams who don't play like us achieve greater success.
I fully agree about the bolded part, but isn't Mount more suited to playing in transition? He's good at pressing, not really excelling at build up play from the deep and keeping possession. Looks more "vertical" player than Eriksen as well.

I see posters are trying to make him look like all-rounder but still seems like an attacking midfielder to me (the clips shared before also show him in the most advanced midfield position).

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His biggest problem is finding a position to suit him. At his age he really should have a settled position, similar to Havertz and you then have to accommodate them somewhere. Mount was used wide, cereal and even deeper. He’s probably best ahead of the midfield but no chance he replaces Bruno Fernandes so it’s a strange signing.
So talented you can even eat him.

cyberman

I fully agree about the bolded part, but isn't Mount more suited to playing in transition? He's good at pressing, not really excelling at build up play from the deep and keeping possession. Looks more "vertical" player than Eriksen as well.

I see posters are trying to make him look like all-rounder but still seems like an attacking midfielder to me (the clips shared before also show him in the most advanced midfield position).
He was at his best under Tuchel and they were as far away from a transition team as you can get.
He also played deep in that team with Kante being the player getting forward if I remember correctly

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Are Bruno, Eriksen the only players to play in the team? You are using team stats to make some conclusion on 2 individuals.
How can I answer you without sounding like a broken record.

1. Strikers shouldn't stay with the ball for far to long before hitting the target, generally. So in essence strikers should have minimal contact with the ball but have deadly effect with it. Halland as prove this very well.

2. Goalkeepers shouldn't be having too much of the ball, because essentially you want to be near the opposition goalkeeper as much as possible as a big team.

3. Defenders should at first instance defend. That's primarily their job. Then at second instance be able to play from the back, and even for them they need the ball to be close to the opposition defenders as much as possible, meaning if a game ended with our defenders being the ones with most touches then something is fundamentally wrong.

4. Midfielders, or midfield is the engine of the game. Where most of the game is played at. Football is a game of few chances, it's not a basketball. Meaning before the few chances crop up the game is played at the middle of the park. So in essence alot of football is played in the 80% of the middle of the pitch.

So in short I'm saying, when you have poor midfielders all your metrics will be poor because most of the game is played there. And the inverse is true when you have good midfielders your metrics will be very good.

City won the league in 2022 without a striker,
Arsenal led the league for big duration without it's first choice striker. all that was helped by having very good midfielders.

So many of our detailed metric like carries etc are fundamentals of poor midfielders.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

EtH's team moves the ball quickly and forward, we are work in progress. We are a mess in possession, so takes bit of time to get everything right. Right now you can see the vertical passing, we see all of our midfielders goes for forward passes, layoff and one touch pass forward pattern, we are long way from how Ajax used to play.

Couple of articles, this one is from 2021 and the other from 2023
Johan Cruyff heavily influenced his philosophy, and his time working with Pep Guardiola shaped him into the man he is today. Ten Hag has combined Cruyff’s style with elements of German-influenced Gegen-pressing gained during his time at Bayern Munich to create a unique style of vertical tiki-taka. His Ajax side plays with a strong focus on possession, pressing, and movement between the lines, all of which are hallmarks of Guardiola’s style.

One of the clear ways Guardiola has influenced ten Hag is through the concept of establishing passing triangles and gaining superiority through a spare man, which is emphasized heavily in his style. This showed a lot in the type of goals Ajax scored in that campaign. Ten Hag’s team destroyed many of Europe’s finest by controlling possession and cutting through the opposition’s lines with fast vertical passes, underlapping movements, and the third man runs.

Dusan Tadic played as a false nine, which helped Ajax add an additional man in midfield during their build-up, building fast and vertically through the opposition lines
Before we dive in, it’s worth briefly summarising Ten Hag’s tactics and what we should be looking for. In broad terms, his Ajax team were about purposeful possession: Guardiola-like control with extremely detailed coaching of where players should position themselves, but with a greater emphasis on verticality and direct running in the final third. Ten Hag seeks to press from the front and pen teams in, but when building from the back wants to draw the opponent forward before breaking quickly into the spaces left behind

So, Manchester United are getting better at playing vertically through the lines, but clearly they are not yet the finished article: it is telling that they are eighth in the Premier League for progressive passes (556), some way off the standard set by the top clubs. What we see here is a club still occasionally stuck moving sideways as they learn the intricacies of Ten Hag’s positional demands.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How can I answer you without sounding like a broken record.

1. Strikers shouldn't stay with the ball for far to long before hitting the target, generally. So in essence strikers should have minimal contact with the ball but have deadly effect with it. Halland as prove this very well.

2. Goalkeepers shouldn't be having too much of the ball, because essentially you want to be near the opposition goalkeeper as much as possible as a big team.

3. Defenders should at first instance defend. That's primarily their job. Then at second instance be able to play from the back, and even for them they need the ball to be close to the opposition defenders as much as possible, meaning if a game ended with our defenders being the ones with most touches then something is fundamentally wrong.

4. Midfielders, or midfield is the engine of the game. Where most of the game is played at. Football is a game of few chances, it's not a basketball. Meaning before the few chances crop up the game is played at the middle of the park. So in essence alot of football is played in the 80% of the middle of the pitch.

So in short I'm saying, when you have poor midfielders all your metrics will be poor because most of the game is played there. And the inverse is true when you have good midfielders your metrics will be very good.

City won the league in 2022 without a striker,
Arsenal led the league for big duration without it's first choice striker. all that was helped by having very good midfielders.

So many of our detailed metric like carries etc are fundamentals of poor midfielders.
This post would have been accepted probably 6-8 years ago I guess. Football is a team game, where teams are compact out of possession controlling the space and then you have movement all over the pitch to control the game without the ball, by giving option to the player in possession. You have Fullbacks, CBs pushing up to midfield position to be an option for midfield and midfielders occupying spaces between defenders for the numerical advantage in the attack.

When the game is played in the middle of the park, it's not only midfielders who will be playing 1v1. It's played with 10 outfield players playing in tandem carrying out instructions with and without the ball, to create space, to be an option for player in possession, to be a third runner and also work hard to give numerical advantage as per the tactical plan.

Coming up with Good midfield = good metrics is just simpleton take.

Status
Not open for further replies.