Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

We don't know if Mount is a more capable defender than Eriksen in a deep midfield role because that's not been his role at Chelsea. He's had 2 of Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic behind him for basically his whole career. And for England 2 of Rice/Phillips/Henderson/Bellingham.

It's a fair concern. All we know is every manager he's had has played him in an attacking role... Which makes pairing him with Bruno seem a little risky.
I feel like you're one of the only ones in the real world here. This confidence and certainty of Mount being brought in to be an 8 here alongside Bruno is based on very little. Even if it does happen it raises several question marks which you have rightfully highlighted.

Mount is far and away better in the opponents half of the pitch. He's a hyper attacking 8 like KDB, Barella and Odegaard. All of these teams have two more defensive players playing behind these players.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Safe and solid option may work for knockout cup football but for the league we need creativity and imaginative play to open up teams. Don’t you think we already have so much of these safe and solid options? Why do we need one more?
I don’t know, maybe ETH already have other players in his mind doing the creative/imaginative stuffs - Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho and some other transfer targets perhaps. And he may see Mount as someone to do the other functional works required, keeping things in check, while capable of blending in with other creative sparks during the build up play. Maybe we can’t just play like loose cannon all the time, need to balance things out abit for tactical reasons.

Tarrou

I fear that getting this summer wrong, and I include signings like Mount who appears to be a large outlay for a player who probably won’t start most games, will be what gets Ten Hag sacked next season.

I hope I’m wrong but if we do go ahead with this he’ll have to hit the ground running otherwise people are going to ask questions about the players he’s choosing to bring in.
he’ll start most games I’m not sure why people think otherwise?

Mike Smalling

Mount and James have been the crown jewels of Cobham for years. I would be devastated to see him not only leave but to then join a rival club.
He's not joining Crystal Palace mate.

I'm sorry, but it was too tempting :angel:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I fear that getting this summer wrong, and I include signings like Mount who appears to be a large outlay for a player who probably won’t start most games, will be what gets Ten Hag sacked next season.

I hope I’m wrong but if we do go ahead with this he’ll have to hit the ground running otherwise people are going to ask questions about the players he’s choosing to bring in.
Except he will start most games, that's the point .

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we do sign him, in Antony, Mount and Bruno I think we’ll have three midfielders / attackers with the ability to press really well and tirelessly which will help us win the ball back quickly

the_cliff

I feel like you're one of the only ones in the real world here. This confidence and certainty of Mount being brought in to be an 8 here alongside Bruno is based on very little. Even if it does happen it raises several question marks which you have rightfully highlighted.

Mount is far and away better in the opponents half of the pitch. He's a hyper attacking 8 like KDB, Barella and Odegaard. All of these teams have two more defensive players playing behind these players.
Barella is not a hyper attacking 8...

City played the majority of last season with KDB and Bernardo as 8s in front of Rodri, I wouldn't call Bernardo a particularly defensive player. I understand the concern but I do think we're after another midfielder as well as Mount, hence the links to Rice/Rabiot. I'm sure ETH sees Mount as an option to partner Bruno in midfield in front of Casemiro especially against teams that sit deep and are tough to break down, I doubt ETH would start with Casemiro-Mount-Bruno against a Man City for example.

All I'm saying is the signing of Mount will bring a different type of dynamic in midfield for ETH as he offers something different to our existing options especially in terms of ball carrying and can see why ETH would want him.

amolbhatia50k

He’ll be first choice ahead of Eriksen and Fred

redIndianDevil

I don’t know, maybe ETH already have other players in his mind doing the creative/imaginative stuffs - Bruno, Rashford, Garnacho and some other transfer targets perhaps. And he may see Mount as someone to do the other functional works required, keeping things in check, while capable of blending in with other creative sparks during the build up play. Maybe we can’t just play like loose cannon all the time, need to balance things out abit for tactical reasons.
We don’t have enough transfer funds to waste 60m on Mount. It would be a good transfer if our playing 11 is well set and we need depth and options. We need a proper central midfielder. We have been crying out to sort out midfield since forever, this is not the time to waste money on Mount.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
If we do sign him, in Antony, Mount and Bruno I think we’ll have three midfielders / attackers with the ability to press really well and tirelessly which will help us win the ball back quickly
I see a lot of people think, that he is a quality player and he would even press well and win the ball quickly :lol:

Everybody is going to be in for a shock when they see what prat Mount is.

Tarrou

I see a lot of people think, that he is a quality player and he would even press well and win the ball quickly :lol:

tell us more about what prat he is?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If you've actually watched Mason Mount even semi-regularly and don't think he presses well then we can safely discount your opinions on football.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
With Tuchel? In CL he was very much part of the front 3, in and out of possession
That's just not true. At times he was, yes - but as often as not we were defending with a 5-3-2 shape. Especially against you lot Kante was regularly further forward since his job was to man-mark Kroos, with Mount dropping deeper on the left.

amolbhatia50k

Prats can press well too

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I can see this threads spread 50/50 on wether he’d be a good signing or not. It all comes down to if ETH can get the best out of him aswell or what role he’ll play. He’s played under about 6 different managers at Chelsea so that’s gonna be hard for anyone to develop.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't want to pick on you, but I think I've watched a lot more football than you, so take it easy.
I didn't say you haven't watched a lot of football.

I'm saying that if you've watched even a decent amount of Mason Mount in particular and come away thinking "he doesn't press well", then your understanding of football is really, really poor.

Because even assuming you haven't seen any of the stats that actually spell out how good he is at pressing (as below), it's still one of the most immediately evident positive aspects of his game.

So let's be generous and say you haven't actually seen much of Mount and you misjudged him.

El Jefe

Barella is not a hyper attacking 8...

City played the majority of last season with KDB and Bernardo as 8s in front of Rodri, I wouldn't call Bernardo a particularly defensive player. I understand the concern but I do think we're after another midfielder as well as Mount, hence the links to Rice/Rabiot. I'm sure ETH sees Mount as an option to partner Bruno in midfield in front of Casemiro especially against teams that sit deep and are tough to break down, I doubt ETH would start with Casemiro-Mount-Bruno against a Man City for example.

All I'm saying is the signing of Mount will bring a different type of dynamic in midfield for ETH as he offers something different to our existing options especially in terms of ball carrying and can see why ETH would want him.
He absolutely is. His fbref stats he scores extremely highly in touches in the final third and penalty area.

City had Rodri but also Stones stepping up into midfield which allowed KDB to push up further. They actually ended the season with Gundogan occupying that other midfield role and Bernardo wider. Gundogan is a true definition of a No.8. Mount is a lot closer to KDB.

Reading the rest of your post it does seem like we're in agreement as I also think a Rice/Rabiot/Caicedo signing is on the cards. There are some games Mount could play the MF role especially in home games I guess.

Personally I think he's being bought for his versatility in the short term but in the mid-long term as a Bruno replacement.

Blood Mage

To be fair, Mount is the type of player who'd probably be coached into a monster by Pep or Klopp if they got their hands on him.

Adamsk7

Really pleased if we sign him, especially if we can get him for close to £50m.

We played 60+ games this season so we need to increase competition for places and rotation. He will primarily be a 10, which is his best position, but a more modern 10 that’s not an out and out playmaker but rather a deeper member of midfield that’s more well rounded - great at pressing, winning the ball high and with a good level of technical proficiency.

His signing will give us multiple things - someone who’s young, homegrown and mouldable to Ten Hag’s style. A player who can rotate Bruno out without a massive drop off in the first 11. A player who can play as a competitive 10 and allow Bruno to play out wide against the teams where we may need to be more compact and aggressive. Someone who can cover as 8 or wide in a three.

As a starting 11 player, I agree he’s no superstar, but as someone who makes our squad more well rounded, he’s a brilliant pick up. Especially if we can offset some of his costs with a sale of Donny or McTominay, who he is infinitely better than.

Yes we need a striker and an 8 more BUT transfers aren’t linear - you don’t buy your number one target first, then your second and so on. There are lots of deals in the pipeline and sometimes the one that’s easiest to do gets done first.

romufc

I don't want to pick on you, but I think I've watched a lot more football than you, so take it easy.
Interesting that you have personal digs about watching more football than another poster without knowing how much football one watches.

I have mates who watch alot of football but still have no clue about certain things.

Watching alot of football does not make you a football expert.

Chelsea fans in here and other United fans who watch football with a tactics eye will tell you one thing, Mount is a pressing machine. He is very good at pressing and following the managers instruction, which is why he starts for most managers.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s like people don’t realise we need to increase the quality in the squad overall and to give ETH options. IF this rumour is true then I’ll support the coaching team to make it work

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can see this threads spread 50/50 on wether he’d be a good signing or not. It all comes down to if ETH can get the best out of him aswell or what role he’ll play. He’s played under about 6 different managers at Chelsea so that’s gonna be hard for anyone to develop.
He will sadly be an excellent signing for United. I haven't been saddened by a player's departure since we lost Robben to Real Madrid 20 years ago and this one is worse because he is going to a domestic rival so I'm going to have to see him competing against us for the same targets every single season. I'm still holding out hope (though it is fading) that he and the club can settle their differences and hash out a new deal that suits all parties.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He absolutely is. His fbref stats he scores extremely highly in touches in the final third and penalty area.

City had Rodri but also Stones stepping up into midfield which allowed KDB to push up further. They actually ended the season with Gundogan occupying that other midfield role and Bernardo wider. Gundogan is a true definition of a No.8. Mount is a lot closer to KDB.

Reading the rest of your post it does seem like we're in agreement as I also think a Rice/Rabiot/Caicedo signing is on the cards. There are some games Mount could play the MF role especially in home games I guess.

Personally I think he's being bought for his versatility in the short term but in the mid-long term as a Bruno replacement.
What is even hyper attacking 8? If we go by touches in attacking third and conclude Barella is hyper attacking 8 then so is Modric and even more attacking than Barella.

Modric averages more touches in attacking third and in penalty area than Barella.

Most of the midfielders playing for top teams will have high number of touches in attacking third as more often than not they dominate games and play in opponents half.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s like people don’t realise we need to increase the quality in the squad overall and to give ETH options. IF this rumour is true then I’ll support the coaching team to make it work
One thing I'll say about Mount is that he is very very coachable.

Redbandito

Although that’s a valid point, thing is Mount is known to be very versatile and capable of playing in number positions across midfield under different managers at Chelsea. He is also relatively very young as midfielder, don’t think that would be a big problem there.

Whereas for Bruno, I think he is quite familiar with no.8 role with Portugal, often partnering Silva and another DM there.

We just have to trust ETH on this one. Surely he has his own tactical plan in his mind.

I think this idea of playing double no.8 with Bruno and Mount in front of DM Casemiro, might work defensively, as Bruno and Mount are usually very good with their pressing/pressuring.
Well said. This was exactly my thought. Thank you saving me the time to write everything out! Haha!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
It says you are 23 on your profile. If that's the case you've probably watched a lot less football than everyone on here.

Plus the dude you're arguing with is right. Mount is a great presser of the ball and I can comfortably say I've watched a lot more of Mount playing for Chelsea than you.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Let's be honest, a couple of weeks ago nobody gave two shits about Mount on here. Nobody wanted him here in particular. Nobody ever saw his name on the Chelsea team sheet and was worried.

I think we can all agree it's a bit of a punt on our part, surely?

el3mel

He's our player now so moaning won't help.. Let's just hope he proves us wrong

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Let's be honest, a couple of weeks ago nobody gave two shits about Mount on here. Nobody wanted him here in particular. Nobody ever saw his name on the Chelsea team sheet and was worried.

I think for the fanbase - yeah it’s a punt; but Mount has been shown to be a player that managers value much more than the fanbase.

And for me, the managers know football more than the fanbase.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Gundogan is certainly a generally more rounded #8 than Mount. If one of them was to play in a pivot alongside a Rodri/Casemiro, you'd always pick Gundogan in terms of profile.

But in this case the comparison is specifically Gundogan when used as an advanced #8 alongside KDB, because that's what we're proposing the role for Mount will be. And in that comparison the fact that Gundogan is more rounded is irrelevant, because he's restricted to the same areas Mount would be operating in for us. With, as you note, Rodri receiving support from other positions.

The bigger question for us if we're going to play is a similar shape is less about Mount as that attacking advanced #8 alongside Bruno and more about whether the back four are providing enough support to the midfield to allow it. Do we have someone as good as Stones stepping into midfield alongside Casemiro and are the three behind them good enough in possession?

tidraKS

He's the closest player to Kevin de Bruyne I can imagine. He'll be great here. Hopefully he will not be too expensive.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's the closest player to Kevin de Bruyne I can imagine. He'll be great here. Hopefully he will not be too expensive.
I think Mount is a decent enough player and have no issues with us signing him but in no universe is he anywhere near De Bruyne.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I've always liked Mount but I certainly didn't think he'd be on our radar as a signing.

But tbf that's largely because most people assumed ETH would want that FDJ-style midfielder for his team. Which seemed a fair assumption given we spent all last summer chasing him and it seemed the easiest and most direct way to upgrade the team.

I didn't think ETH would be looking for a midfield more akin to his post-FDJ Ajax side that didn't have that profile of midfielder (if that is indeed what he's doing). Because to my eyes at least that set-up suits other parts of our team less.

But if we'd all known and accepted that more advanced #8 would be a priority then I think players like Mount and MacAllister would have been spoken about a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.