Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just a reminder that City have a pool of at least 8 Midfielders, they obviously can't all be 'starters' some you might consider 'bench' players but they all get plenty of opportunity through a busy season.
Rodri 54 appearances
Bernardo 53 appearances
Gundogan 49 appearances
Grealish 48 appearances
De Bruyne 47 appearances
Foden 46 appearances
Palmer 25 appearances
Phillips 21 appearances

ETH, needs options and quality to choose from.

El Jefe

What is even hyper attacking 8? If we go by touches in attacking third and conclude Barella is hyper attacking 8 then so is Modric and even more attacking than Barella.

Modric averages more touches in attacking third and in penalty area than Barella.

Most of the midfielders playing for top teams will have high number of touches in attacking third as more often than not they dominate games and play in opponents half.
It's just something I made up but watching Barella and looking at his stats its clear that he's one of the more attacking 8s you'll see in football and his stats show that. Mount is very similar to him.

Your Modric point is a good one and in some games he does play very high up but there's a big difference betweem him and Barella. Modric is in 86% for touches in the midfield zones and 91% in attacking zones. This matches with what we see of Modric he gets a high number of touches everywhere. In Barella's case his touches rank 35% in the midfield and 91% in the final third. That clearly shows he's a midfielder that does his work closer to the opponents box.

Unlike Modric he ranks middle of the park in overall touches because Inter are a counter attacking team so Barella very much is an attacking 8. Inter rank 19th in possession (55.7%) in the top 5 leagues compared to Real who are 7th (60.3%).

Interesting tidbit we are 26th with 53.7% which really isn't good. We really need to get closer to the top 10. Signings like Mount will help but its important we also sign players in deeper positions that are better on the ball.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A couple of years ago I thought he looked quality. Waned for me since then. But I’m not upset with the signing if it happens, we need more legs in midfield

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It’s like people don’t realise we need to increase the quality in the squad overall and to give ETH options. IF this rumour is true then I’ll support the coaching team to make it work
I don't think people don't realise that, but they acknowledge that there are bigger gaps in the squad right now and this signing is disproportianate to our budget and squad necesseties.

el3mel

I can see you as a great motivational speaker, or maybe someone who writes Hallmark cards.
I'm not going to hide the fact that this is a fecking underwhelming signing to start our quest to challenge for the league, especially for the reported sum of money, but since he's our player now complaining won't change the fact we're both stuck with each other, so better to support him for now, and hope he proves us wrong.

Hester_manc

I see Mason Mount as overrated and I cannot see who he should replace in United`s starting line-up. He has his moments, but he has too many games, where he is out of the game and looks more like a spectator. Romano claims that Chelsea want €80m for Mount - try half of that.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
More than decent player but "British hype and tax" written all over it.
He has the talent to be as good as Lampard but lack the mentality.
Lampard, in fact most of that Mou's Chelsea always turned up week in, week out and ready to be counted.
Mount tends to shy away from decisive touch, be it passes or shots.
He scored their UCL winning goal so it's not that he's not capable of it.
50-ish mil is fair but 70+ mil is mad.

PS: his aerial ability is rubbish

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
More than decent player but "British hype and tax" written all over it.
He has the talent to be as good as Lampard but lack the mentality.
Lampard, in fact most of that Mou's Chelsea always turned up week in, week out and ready to be counted.
Mount tends to shy away from decisive touch, be it passes or shots.
He scored their UCL winning goal so it's not that he's not capable of it.
50-ish mil is fair but 70+ mil is mad.

PS: his aerial ability is rubbish
Wasn't that Havertz?

SER19

I wouldnt sign him, but not getting worked up over transfers. Get ten hag whoever he thinks will improve us

Ibrahimorich

I really don't understand this. 1 year on a contract and the player seemingly wants to leave, yet they want more than it cost for Haaland...They should be happy to take £30m frankly. If they won't sell for less than £50m we should move on and try to agree a pre-contract if ETH really wants him. Let's not get fleeced here. Chelsea have no bargaining power in this situation.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
He will sadly be an excellent signing for United. I haven't been saddened by a player's departure since we lost Robben to Real Madrid 20 years ago and this one is worse because he is going to a domestic rival so I'm going to have to see him competing against us for the same targets every single season. I'm still holding out hope (though it is fading) that he and the club can settle their differences and hash out a new deal that suits all parties.
So do you think we’ll sign him? And if so how much is it likely going to be?

RedorDead21

I really don't understand this. 1 year on a contract and the player seemingly wants to leave, yet they want more than it cost for Haaland...They should be happy to take £30m frankly. If they won't sell for less than £50m we should move on and try to agree a pre-contract if ETH really wants him. Let's not get fleeced here. Chelsea have no bargaining power in this situation.
Yeah I mean if the rumours are true re the amount that’s what I’d expect to pay if he was 1 year into a 5 year deal. No one is quite sure on him on here it seems and for 40 plus million it only makes if we have a lot of £ to spend

gza the genius

I think ETH is hoping he'll be a hybrid of Fred/Eriksen - i.e. the mobility and pressing of Fred and the passing of Eriksen. It's clear that we do well with Fred in some games and Eriksen in others because they both have very defined weaknesses. I've never been super impressed by Mount individually but he does seem the type that coaches would love and if we're moving away/can't find an FDJ replacement then Mount would probably make sense. His pressing will allow us to be on the front foot more often and he still has plenty of quality on the ball. A Casemiro/Bruno/Mount midfield would be a very, very annoying midfield to play against.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's just something I made up but watching Barella and looking at his stats its clear that he's one of the more attacking 8s you'll see in football and his stats show that. Mount is very similar to him.

Your Modric point is a good one and in some games he does play very high up but there's a big difference betweem him and Barella. Modric is in 86% for touches in the midfield zones and 91% in attacking zones. This matches with what we see of Modric he gets a high number of touches everywhere. In Barella's case his touches rank 35% in the midfield and 91% in the final third. That clearly shows he's a midfielder that does his work closer to the opponents box.

Unlike Modric he ranks middle of the park in overall touches because Inter are a counter attacking team so Barella very much is an attacking 8. Inter rank 19th in possession (55.7%) in the top 5 leagues compared to Real who are 7th (60.3%).

Interesting tidbit we are 26th with 53.7% which really isn't good. We really need to get closer to the top 10. Signings like Mount will help but its important we also sign players in deeper positions that are better on the ball.
Not sure about the math there, anyways I compared few of the midfielders who doesn't play very attacking role in the team to see how they rank when it comes to their involvement in different zones (sorted by attacking third %), so among the total touches, Barella is behind Modric, Pedri, Mount, Gundogan in attacking third %. (not sure why I added Mount, maybe just to see how he ranks). Even in middle third he is behind Pedri, Gundogan, Modric, Xhaka. But in defensive third he is only behind Fred and Xhaka.

Barella and Xhaka are very close when it comes to touch map, this is something you can see in their heat map too. They are exact same, Xhaka from left side and Barella from right side.

Total TouchesDefensive PenaltyDefensive Penalty %Defensive thirdDefensive third %Middle ThirdMiddle Third %Attacking thirdAttacking third %Attacking PenaltyAttacking Penalty %
Modric84.51.281.51%12.3214.58%44.4252.57%28.2833.47%2.112.50%
Pedri74.520.60.81%79.39%42.5257.06%26.0734.98%2.643.54%
Mount56.70.861.52%6.1210.79%25.4644.90%25.7245.36%3.325.86%
Gundogan71.651.271.77%9.8613.76%39.3854.96%22.8231.85%3.234.51%
Barella60.71.42.31%10.216.80%29.9149.28%21.6135.60%1.943.20%
Fred69.122.433.52%15.5622.51%33.4548.39%20.8830.21%2.433.52%
Xhaka59.62.323.89%10.2617.21%29.649.66%20.5434.46%3.185.34%

UpWithRivers

If he's being sold for 60/70 mill in the last year of his contract, after a poor season and wanting to leave then what would he be worth if he had 3 years contract, wanted to stay and was coming off a good season? 90/100 mill?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So do you think we’ll sign him? And if so how much is it likely going to be?
To me it sounds like Mount has made his mind up and wants to join United. Not sure about price. He has 12 months left on his deal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's the closest player to Kevin de Bruyne I can imagine. He'll be great here. Hopefully he will not be too expensive.
Do you use crayons to imagine things?

Mike Smalling

As someone who has probably watched 95% of Mount's games going back to 2018, I'd say you will love him if you get him.
To be fair, my disdain for Mount is mostly based on two things. First, a few Chelsea mates consistently raving about him, which is annoying. Two, his extremely questionable facial hair choices in the past.

Maybe I'll give ham a chance.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Just a reminder that City have a pool of at least 8 Midfielders, they obviously can't all be 'starters' some you might consider 'bench' players but they all get plenty of opportunity through a busy season.
Rodri 54 appearances
Bernardo 53 appearances
Gundogan 49 appearances
Grealish 48 appearances
De Bruyne 47 appearances
Foden 46 appearances
Palmer 25 appearances
Phillips 21 appearances

ETH, needs options and quality to choose from.
To be fair if Grealish and Foden are included we could count Rashford and Sancho as midfielders too.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
I think City's got the better deal with Kovacic.
I rate this guy since forever.
Look what they did with Gundogan this past 4-5 years.
Not many club have the luxury of adding icing on top, year after year.
That initial 800mil did help a little.

But hey, Mount's got the age in his side so who knows?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
To me it sounds like Mount has made his mind up and wants to join United. Not sure about price. He has 12 months left on his deal.
Don’t you want like 80m for him or something like that. Think we’ll only pay about 50.

El Jefe

Not sure about the math there, anyways I compared few of the midfielders who doesn't play very attacking role in the team to see how they rank when it comes to their involvement in different zones (sorted by attacking third %), so among the total touches, Barella is behind Modric, Pedri, Mount, Gundogan in attacking third %. (not sure why I added Mount, maybe just to see how he ranks). Even in middle third he is behind Pedri, Gundogan, Modric, Xhaka. But in defensive third he is only behind Fred and Xhaka.

Barella and Xhaka are very close when it comes to touch map, this is something you can see in their heat map too. They are exact same, Xhaka from left side and Barella from right side.

Total TouchesDefensive PenaltyDefensive Penalty %Defensive thirdDefensive third %Middle ThirdMiddle Third %Attacking thirdAttacking third %Attacking PenaltyAttacking Penalty %
Modric84.51.281.51%12.3214.58%44.4252.57%28.2833.47%2.112.50%
Pedri74.520.60.81%79.39%42.5257.06%26.0734.98%2.643.54%
Mount56.70.861.52%6.1210.79%25.4644.90%25.7245.36%3.325.86%
Gundogan71.651.271.77%9.8613.76%39.3854.96%22.8231.85%3.234.51%
Barella60.71.42.31%10.216.80%29.9149.28%21.6135.60%1.943.20%
Fred69.122.433.52%15.5622.51%33.4548.39%20.8830.21%2.433.52%
Xhaka59.62.323.89%10.2617.21%29.649.66%20.5434.46%3.185.34%
I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make or whether you just want to disagree with me.

Xhaka plays in an attacking team that dominates possession and allows him to push forward. Barella plays in a more counter-attacking team which has less possession. You've just shown the limitation in using stats that don't factor in style of play.

The more like for like comparison would be Fred and Fred has been pushed high up in many games this season and you can still see a difference between their touches in the defensive third and the attacking third.

Not sure how this even went so far off tangent. Barella is one of the more attacking No.8s. Mount is closer in style to him than any other player you've listed when utilised centrally. I'm not even sure how that's up for debate.

Wezzaldo

Klopp wants him, EtH wants him, but Steve from Swinton who works in carphone warehouse (who could of made it if it wasn’t for an injury he tells everyone when drunk) doesn’t rate him.

Best avoid then

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make or whether you just want to disagree with me.

Xhaka plays in an attacking team that dominates possession and allows him to push forward. Barella plays in a more counter-attacking team which has less possession. You've just shown the limitation in using stats that don't factor in style of play.

The more like for like comparison would be Fred and Fred has been pushed high up in many games this season and you can still see a difference between their touches in the defensive third and the attacking third.

Not sure how this even went so far off tangent. Barella is one of the more attacking No.8s. Mount is closer in style to him than any other player you've listed when utilised centrally. I'm not even sure how that's up for debate.
Inter dominates most games they play in Serie A, they are 3rd in possession stats in Serie A. Arsenal averages 59.7%, Inter averages 55.6%.

Also I didn't take raw numbers, I took their percentages which actually shows the percentage of their touches in each area.

Also no, Barella is not the hyper attacking 8, he is a proper box to box player which is evident in his touch map, heat map.

I agree with the misuse of stats part, it started when you came up with " His fbref stats he scores extremely highly in touches in the final third and penalty area." Inter plays with 3 CBs and 1 pure DM, ofcourse their CMs will be more advanced than usual CMs who play in 2 CB system.

Kante also averages 26 touches in final third (97th percentile) and that's 40% of his total touches, do you conclude he is also hyper attacking 8 because of his volume of touches in final third?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not going to hide the fact that this is a fecking underwhelming signing to start our quest to challenge for the league, especially for the reported sum of money, but since he's our player now complaining won't change the fact we're both stuck with each other, so better to support him for now, and hope he proves us wrong.
Why are people assuming this is a done deal? Don’t we have the small matter of negotiating with Chelsea left?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I was looking forward to this signing and expecting it to be a good one since the guy has been Chelsea's best player in two of the last three years, but now I think it's the worst signing ever because Bobby No-mark on the Caf thinks he's shit. I mean, he thinks everything the club does it shit but this time it is true.

jackal&hyde

I see Mason Mount as overrated and I cannot see who he should replace in United`s starting line-up. He has his moments, but he has too many games, where he is out of the game and looks more like a spectator. Romano claims that Chelsea want €80m for Mount - try half of that.
If the rumors are true, it means ETH is moving to a double 8/10 hybrid system with Casemiro and an inverted full back, Shaw, for cover. Kind of like City with KDB and Gundogan. If this is true, then Mount is one of the few perfect players for this system. Before Chelsea imploded, Mount was only behind Bruno and KDB in creativity and his defensive stats are top level.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
To be fair if Grealish and Foden are included we could count Rashford and Sancho as midfielders too.
Fine, then they could then add Mahrez, and arguably Stones too... :rolleyes:

Point is, Pep has so many quality options and different ways to play, it feels like ETH has one arm behind his back with his options.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He has a year left. They aren’t getting 80m.

He’s a good player - highly intelligent, good on the ball and fantastic off the ball. I’d like to see a great passer/ playmaker added but I think Mount is someone who at a young age has done a lot and is at the right stage to make a bigger step up. He’d easily replace Eriksen of ETH gets him firing.

Hester_manc

He has a year left. They aren’t getting 80m.

He’s a good player - highly intelligent, good on the ball and fantastic off the ball. I’d like to see a great passer/ playmaker added but I think Mount is someone who at a young age has done a lot and is at the right stage to make a bigger step up. He’d easily replace Eriksen of ETH gets him firing.
When you talk about intelligence in a football player, Eriksen is way ahead of Mount. Eriksen has by far the best passes in difficult situations on our team. Even if he was better in the autumn than in the spring. He is the United player who has made the most assists in the league. Mount will not be able to offer the same game overview and technique that Eriksen can

El Jefe

Inter dominates most games they play in Serie A, they are 3rd in possession stats in Serie A. Arsenal averages 59.7%, Inter averages 55.6%.

Also I didn't take raw numbers, I took their percentages which actually shows the percentage of their touches in each area.

Also no, Barella is not the hyper attacking 8, he is a proper box to box player which is evident in his touch map, heat map.

I agree with the misuse of stats part, it started when you came up with " His fbref stats he scores extremely highly in touches in the final third and penalty area." Inter plays with 3 CBs and 1 pure DM, ofcourse their CMs will be more advanced than usual CMs who play in 2 CB system.

Kante also averages 26 touches in final third (97th percentile) and that's 40% of his total touches, do you conclude he is also hyper attacking 8 because of his volume of touches in final third?
Again you're having a convo I'm not interested in having.

Save your stats, my initial point was Mount is in the mould of attacking No.8s like KDB, Barella and Odegaard. Positionally these are all players that push high up especially on the right hand side of midfield. Whether you see them as hyper attacking or not is being pedantic, point is they are attacking No.8s.

There's a difference between the aforementioned 8s and the likes of Kovacic, Gundogan, Kroos who dictate deeper or the more box to box defensive types like Fred, Goretzka, Kante.

I have no interest in a Barella debate because it's pointless. My only question to you is which of the three types of No.8s I've listed above would you group Mount in?

Status
Not open for further replies.