Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal7

I can’t speak on behalf of all other sides but I know that under Ten Hag when Eriksen and Casemiro are fit Bruno is instructed to pin the CB or exploit half spaces. It’s a common Ten Hag tactic and something I think he’s going to try to do even more with the introduction of Mason Mount.

I dont think we’re going to sign a traditional controlling midfielder I think we’re going to give Martinez space to build up by moving Mount and Bruno up and deeper into opponents halves.

In that context Mount and Bruno work fine as players who will track back when needed and who can operate deeper be it through a progressive pass (Bruno) or carry (Mount)
Yeah agreed. If we sign A defensive midfielder like Rice they may also get involved with the playmaking side of things when Casemiro isn't playing.
But Martinez is a great player to dictate out from the back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Martin Baturina is equally versatile (if not more so), and will not cost more than €20 million (and will probably be chuffed with wages of £75,000 per week, as that figure is considerably higher than his current wages). Folk will point and laugh at the suggestion that he is almost as good as Mount right now or will realistically attain a higher level in the near future (probably a fair argument as he has only played in the HNL, is a relative nobody in the grand scheme of things and hasn't even made his debut for the Croatian national team...for all we know, he could crash and burn), but Joško Gvardiol (to cite one example) became an €80 million rated player after only a year and a half of leaving the very same club and very same league for €16 million (to provide a frame of reference, we had recently acquired Harry Maguire (a more experienced and battle-ready player) for £80 million). And Baturina is not the only talented and versatile midfielder out there, either.

There's just no need to overcompensate (and overpay for) someone who is not a top, top player (and is not expected to develop into a top, top player), when a smaller investment will suffice — employing the former approach is precisely how a club ends up in a situation where it has one of the highest wage bills in world football but not the highest performance levels on the pitch or where it cannot afford to meaningfully reinforce the team in the winter window. Unless we're being bankrolled by a philanthropic multi-billionaire, spending £50 million on Mount (upwards of £70 million if Chelsea get their way?) and then handing him a £300,000 per week contract represents fairly poor value for money when there's no dearth of playmaking options in the mercato (if we look hard enough and cast a wide enough net). Lessons need to be learned from our past misadventures and follies, and we need to be smarter with our dealings.

In saying that, if Mount joins United, I sincerely hope he proves me (and other detractors) wrong and cements himself as one of the best performers in the team; United bossing it would be infinitely more gratifying than being “proven right”. :)
The guy you’ve named is not English. We are going to have a problem with homegrown quota this summer especially if we release Jones, Tuanzebe, heaton, butland, sell McTominay, Maguire

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The guy you’ve named is not English. We are going to have a problem with homegrown quota this summer especially if we release Jones, Tuanzebe, heaton, butland, sell McTominay, Maguire
How many we need? We have Shaw, Rashy, Jadon, AWB and Garnacho. Amad doesn't count, right?

TheRedHearted

I was just very confused about the made up scenario :lol: :)
Haha yeah, people think he’s some type of villian when imo he didn’t do anything terrible. I Think ** some said the tour was lackluster and therefore he made a mistake but to draw him out to be some villian is insane, he didn’t force anyone anything and he didn’t steal passports as i joked.

Stes pov is clear, we need possibly two strikers, and 60 million for a player who didnt start in a team that finished 12th is insane, when an 8 is almost last on our priority behind LW

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I thought the quota is more no more than 17 non homegrown, rather than a specific amount of home grown.

golden_blunder

Staff
I thought the quota is more no more than 17 non homegrown, rather than a specific amount of home grown.
We only have around 7 so I think we need to bare that in mind. That’s why it will cost us more as we add more English players

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Surely we will just promote someone from the academy. They don’t necessarily have to play too many games/minutes anyway.
55 mil is a very high price to pay just to fill some quota.

OrcaFat

Haha yeah, people think he’s some type of villian when imo he didn’t do anything terrible. I Think ** some said the tour was lackluster and therefore he made a mistake but to draw him out to be some villian is insane, he didn’t force anyone anything and he didn’t steal passports as i joked.

Stes pov is clear, we need possibly two strikers, and 60 million for a player who didnt start in a team that finished 12th is insane, when an 8 is almost last on our priority behind LW
Since Eriksen has (it seems) lost a lot of stamina and physical acuity (hesitate to say his legs are gone but it doesn’t look good), no8 is, imo, near the top of the priorities. CM is a key part of the team and only ever looked decent when both Eriksen and Case were fit and firing. Other than that it’s been pretty shocking.

meninred

The first thing that came to my mind is where does Mount play . ? He is a no 10 and we already have Eriskon (whom he plays as no 8) and bruno fernadez for that. Maybe Ten haag has different strategy ..or maybe it is just a rumor.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The first thing that came to my mind is where does Mount play . ? He is a no 10 and we already have Eriskon (whom he plays as no 8) and bruno fernadez for that. Maybe Ten haag has different strategy ..or maybe it is just a rumor.
The feck?

golden_blunder

Staff
Surely we will just promote someone from the academy. They don’t necessarily have to play too many games/minutes anyway.
ETH has constantly said the squad isn’t strong enough. We are not going to fill it with players who won’t play much, he needs choice

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We only have around 7 so I think we need to bare that in mind. That’s why it will cost us more as we add more English players
I do think that's why Mount is being targeted. Contract situation, homegrown, obvious qualities and good age to pay a premium for that, considering. I just don't think it's essential with our squad, but it certainly helps.

zaafi

I've read a lot of different names for Eriksen, but that one :lol: what the feck is that

bucky

That might work for a year, but won't for the long-term. We can't just promote players from the academy that won't contribute to the first team to fill the quota. Most academy players also don't need to be registered like Garnacho, but if they aren't good enough for the first team by the age of 21, when they need to be registered, then there is little point having multiple players on the first team that don't do much. We might not move on from Wan-Bissaka and Sancho this year, but there is a possibility that we do in the future. Coupled with the players that are already leaving this summer, it will leave us short eventually. Which is why signing a 24 proven homegrown player makes a lot of sense, even if he isn't the most ideal profile of a player.

saik

How many we need? We have Shaw, Rashy, Jadon, AWB and Garnacho. Amad doesn't count, right?
As far as I'm aware, we need 8 home grown players in nation(should be trained in England for atleast 3 years before their 21st birthday) out of which 4 of them should be homegrown at club (trained at United specifically). These spots should be left empty if we cannot fill them.

El-Manos

You’re surely doing this on purpose ? Eriskon/fernadez/ten haag. A hattrick

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Unless I am completely misunderstanding and misinterpreting the rules, we should be fine on the homegrown quota front, even with a spate of departures this summer; recent United squads have been too bloated and carried a lot of deadweight anyway (relative to clubs that seriously competed on all fronts with streamlined collectives, like Manchester City or Real Madrid).
The rules state that each club may (i.e., not compulsorily) register 25 first-team players aged over 21, with a minimum of eight of these 25 first-team players aged over 21 classified as 'homegrown'. Any number of under-21 players can also supplement the squad.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-premier-league-squad-confirmed-for-2021-22
  • A maximum of 17 senior non-homegrown players — those slots should be more than enough, methinks.
  • Homegrown players (we only need 8 of these if we want the full contingent of 25 senior players, and could get by with fewer) like Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Nathan Bishop (or another budget-friendly homegrown goalkeeper), possibly Kane to arrive at a total of 23-ish senior players (excluding U-21s)?
  • Unlimited number of U-21s (i.e., under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences) like Alejandro Garnacho, Amad Diallo, Hannibal Mejbri, Kobbie Mainoo, Álvaro Fernandez (who will qualify as homegrown players in the years to come), Martin Baturina from Dinamo Zagreb (in the hypothetical scenario where we sign him), possibly Alex Scott from Bristol City (who will qualify as a homegrown player in the years to come, too).
Constructing a robust and competitive squad (with additional depth provided by U-21 players) should not be too hard, even with the homegrown stipulations and the possibility of a severe injury crisis.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
80 mill would be simply too much but is Chelsea in any serious position to haggle about the price point? a bloated squad, out of European and overall just a mess.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not hung up on names, I'm hung up on the qualities players have and whether they complement each other, as well as the positions on the field they do most of their work. To suggest there's no difference between Mount partnering Kante/Kovacic and partnering a pure attacking midfielder like Bruno is just crazy.

Sofascore won't let me link specific games but if we find the ties and click average positions for those CL knockout games, we find Mount was far more advanced than his midfield partners, playing an AM/wing hybrid role. Absolutely nothing like the role we'll be asking him to play at United.

https://www.sofascore.com/tournament/football/europe/uefa-champions-league/7
Who is suggesting there is no difference? Of course there will be an adaptation, but there's no reason Mount can't do it. He's never played in front of a do-it-all DM of Casemiro's class - the point I'm continually making is that when Chelsea were functioning at their highest level over the past few years, Mount routinely played as a 10 in possession and an 8 off the ball.

The average position is calculated through tracking of isolated events - yes Mount looks higher because he tended to receive the ball in more advanced areas. If you do a viz of defensive events only, you'll see he was playing as a true midfielder off the ball - which is the relevant bit here given that's where so many are questioning his suitability as an 8.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Martin Baturina is equally versatile (if not more so), and will not cost more than €20 million (and will probably be chuffed with wages of £75,000 per week, as that figure is considerably higher than his current wages). Folk will point and laugh at the suggestion that he is almost as good as Mount right now or will realistically attain a higher level in the near future (probably a fair argument as he has only played in the HNL, is a relative nobody in the grand scheme of things and hasn't even made his debut for the Croatian national team...for all we know, he could crash and burn), but Joško Gvardiol (to cite one example) became an €80 million rated player after only a year and a half of leaving the very same club and very same league for €16 million (to provide a frame of reference, we had recently acquired Harry Maguire (a more experienced and battle-ready player) for £80 million). And Baturina is not the only talented and versatile midfielder out there, either.

There's just no need to overcompensate (and overpay for) someone who is not a top, top player (and is not expected to develop into a top, top player), when a smaller investment will suffice — employing the former approach is precisely how a club ends up in a situation where it has one of the highest wage bills in world football but not the highest performance levels on the pitch or where it cannot afford to meaningfully reinforce the team in the winter window. Unless we're being bankrolled by a philanthropic multi-billionaire, spending £50 million on Mount (upwards of £70 million if Chelsea get their way?) and then handing him a £300,000 per week contract represents fairly poor value for money when there's no dearth of playmaking options in the mercato (if we look hard enough and cast a wide enough net). Lessons need to be learned from our past misadventures and follies, and we need to be smarter with our dealings.

In saying that, if Mount joins United, I sincerely hope he proves me (and other detractors) wrong and cements himself as one of the best performers in the team; United bossing it would be infinitely more gratifying than being “proven right”. :)
I don't know anything about Baturina but I would doubt that we're pushing through with giving Mount 300K a week after we've just made that mistake with Sancho. This club - with Ole at the helm - was rushing to upgrade both Maguire's and Bruno's contracts. Incredible really, when there's no one sniffing around and they're locked down. Thankfully the club did not raise Maguire's 190K wage, but this club did go and give Sancho something ludicrous (rumoured between 250-320K).

We obviously won't be able to hold wages back with that rumoured 200K max wage structure that was talked about prior to the Glazers inviting bids for the club. But I just cannot imagine this club - with some semblance of a professional structure now (whether or not it's anywhere close to best in class) deciding to grant 300K deals to players that aren't a sure bets in terms of world class here-and-now talent.

I'm with you in doubting the move for Mount more for footballing reasons - I'd still prefer to see more technical ability in that midfield whilst simultaneously improving the energy and endurance, but it's not like there's a young Luka Modric available, unless the player you're putting forth is that player in waiting.

I gather Rashford is waiting to commit to a new deal until the ownership situation is clear so that he can request a higher wage presumably, but it would be wise to cap him at 250K and incentivise him besides that through sporting merit while thinking long and hard about whether we can keep a mediocre performing Sancho at the club on such high wages with regards to dressing room morale and the risk of players asking for parity.

I'd be surprised if Mount would get 200K here (before bonuses) and the same would apply to Rice.

bucky

Unless I am completely misunderstanding and misinterpreting the rules, we should be fine on the homegrown quota front, even with a spate of departures; recent United squads have been too bloated and carried a lot of deadweight anyway (relative to clubs that seriously competed on all fronts with streamlined collectives, like Manchester City or Real Madrid).

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-premier-league-squad-confirmed-for-2021-22
  • A maximum of 17 senior non-homegrown players — those slots should be more than enough, methinks.
  • Homegrown players like Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Nathan Bishop (or another budget-friendly homegrown goalkeeper), possibly Kane, and so forth to reach a total of 21-25 senior players (excluding U-21s)?
  • Unlimited number of U-21s (i.e., under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences) like Alejandro Garnacho, Amad Diallo, Hannibal Mejbri, Kobbie Mainoo, Álvaro Fernandez (who will qualify as homegrown players in the years to come), Martin Baturina from Dinamo Zagreb (in the hypothetical scenario where we sign him), possibly Alex Scott from Bristol City (who will qualify as a homegrown player in the years to come).
Constructing a robust and competitive squad (with additional depth provided by U-21 players) should not be too hard, even with the homegrown stipulations and the possibility of a severe injury crisis.
The key there is a mininum of 8 homegrown players. Kane isn't happening this summer. That leaves Rashford, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho and one or two homegrown goalkeepers, if de Gea becomes our #2. Butland is already talking with another club. Jones has already been confirmed, Tuanzebe, as well. Elanga, McTominay, Maguire, Williams and Henderson are rumored to be sold. I don't know what the plan for Mengi is, but he could be another homegrown player. The player who shall not be named would count, too, but there is no telling whether he will be a United player again.

The fact that I had to include Mengi, the other Mason, the 3rd and 4th choice keeper to come up with enough players, should tell you that this is an issue that we need to address (or that you had to include Kane). And for the record I don't want to see the other Mason playing for us again. I'm all for complaining about our transfer business and how we wasted money, I've made plenty of posts in that vein on here. In this case though, it does make sense to go for Mount. He's 24, has his best years ahead of him, and isn't just someone who would only be there to help with the quota.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The key there is a mininum of 8 homegrown players. Kane isn't happening this summer. That leaves Rashford, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Sancho and one or two homegrown goalkeepers, if de Gea becomes our #2. Butland is already talking with another club. Jones has already been confirmed, Tuanzebe, as well. Elanga, McTominay, Maguire, Williams and Henderson are rumored to be sold. I don't know what the plan for Mengi is, but he could be another homegrown player. The player who shall not be named would count, too, but there is no telling whether he will be United player again.

The fact that I had to include Mengi, the other Mason, the 3rd and 4th choice keeper to come up with enough players, should tell you that this is an issue that we need to address (or that you had to include Kane). And for the record I don't want to see the other Mason playing for us again. I'm all for complaining about our transfer business and how we wasted money, I've made plenty of posts in that vein on here. In this case though, it does make sense to go for Mount. He's 24, has his best years ahead of him, and isn't just someone who would only be there to help with the quota.
Garnacho counts as homegrown.

OrcaFat

tenpoless

The guy whose constantly on podcast with rio, on good terms and respected.

Ah I see you’re upset about a Mancunian offering a tour around old trafford.

I forgot the part when he took a machine gun and held it to the tourist head, stealing their passports and laughing about his British privilege.

Oh yeah that didn’t happen.
Its funny that you have to bring Mancunian into this. He can be from any part of the world and I will still see him the same way. Yeah he is with Rio, the same guy who milked Ronaldo saga for Youtube subs when he had just started his channel. Stephen Howson rarely says insightful information on his own. And that video is no different, clickbaity title and the content is.. well, nothing he said that we didnt know already.

He is a good comedian though I'll give you that "If he costs 20 million, take him". I'd rather trust Ten Hag than this person who thinks 20 million gets you a decent player from PL :lol:

redIndianDevil

I don't know anything about Baturina but I would doubt that we're pushing through with giving Mount 300K a week after we've just made that mistake with Sancho. This club - with Ole at the helm - was rushing to upgrade both Maguire's and Bruno's contracts. Incredible really, when there's no one sniffing around and they're locked down. Thankfully the club did not raise Maguire's 190K wage, but this club did go and give Sancho something ludicrous (rumoured between 250-320K).

We obviously won't be able to hold wages back with that rumoured 200K max wage structure that was talked about prior to the Glazers inviting bids for the club. But I just cannot imagine this club - with some semblance of a professional structure now (whether or not it's anywhere close to best in class) deciding to grant 300K deals to players that aren't a sure bets in terms of world class here-and-now talent.

I'm with you in doubting the move for Mount more for footballing reasons - I'd still prefer to see more technical ability in that midfield whilst simultaneously improving the energy and endurance, but it's not like there's a young Luka Modric available, unless the player you're putting forth is that player in waiting.

I gather Rashford is waiting to commit to a new deal until the ownership situation is clear so that he can request a higher wage presumably, but it would be wise to cap him at 250K and incentivise him besides that through sporting merit while thinking long and hard about whether we can keep a mediocre performing Sancho at the club on such high wages with regards to dressing room morale and the risk of players asking for parity.

I'd be surprised if Mount would get 200K here (before bonuses) and the same would apply to Rice.
The reason he is rejecting Chelsea offer is because he wants 250k, why would he move here for less?

redIndianDevil

Do you really believe this clubs has the structure in place to make these signings? We are only fit for forking out 80m or more a year after such players move to a decent club. We can laugh at Chelsea all we want and think we are much better off but watch them sell all their unwanted players for decent money and coming back stronger.

zaafi

The reason he is rejecting Chelsea offer is because he wants 250k, why would he move here for less?
Guess he has to quit football then because there is not a single club in the world that is going to pay him that. He knows it himself, so this is obviously bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.