Mason Mount

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Quality player. Have spoke to some people involved in the game as coaches/scouts at namely Liverpool and Burnley and for the last couple years they’ve been raving about him. Always telling me, forget Foden, forget any other English name. Mount is the one and will be starting for England.

macheda14

Quality player. Have spoke to some people involved in the game as coaches/scouts at namely Liverpool and Burnley and for the last couple years they’ve been raving about him. Always telling me, forget Foden, forget any other English name. Mount is the one and will be starting for England.
Shame Chelsea seem to have recruited (or are in the process of) him out of the team. I don’t see where he fits once they have Werner, Ziyech and Havertz to play.

Robertd0803

Shame Chelsea seem to have recruited (or are in the process of) him out of the team. I don’t see where he fits once they have Werner, Ziyech and Havertz to play.
Off the wall prediction but I reckon he will keep one of them out of the team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He made 51 appearances, the most in the team. Werner doesn’t play the same position and Ziyech will play wide. Havertz hasn’t even signed yet. Mount isn’t going anywhere.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He'll play as the left sided 8 next year. What stood out to me today was that despite starting in 3-4-3 we were in a 4-3-3 shape in possession - James tucked in to play as the right sided 8 and Azpi was playing RB. It's pretty clear at this point that Lampard prefers to play 4-3-3 and word is he's already told Werner he'll be starting up top. That leaves a front 6 of Pulisic - Werner - Ziyech / Mount-Kante-Havertz.

Classical Mechanic

The England coaches love him too. I think he needs to get a bit stronger because he gets knocked off the ball too much. Needs to be a bit more composed too.

Last edited:

MadMike

Even if Chelsea get Havertz, Mount will get plenty of games and might be a starter ahead of Pulisic or Havertz.

With both Willian and Pedro going, Chelsea will have Mount, Pulisic, Ziyech and CHO (with the latter likely to be only cover) for 3 positions. That's thin. So a bit like we want to get Sancho despite having Rashford, Greenwood and James on the wings for more depth. Knowing they'll all get plenty of games anyway.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Foden is clearly a better player though.

Open Goal

Supports
Chelsea
Mason Mount is the new Mr. Chelsea. Theres absolutely no chance with him being dropped completely. He is Lampards undroppable from the team and the new Icon for our team coming from the youth, like Terry was.

Many might not know this about Lampard, but he is extremely superstitious (even though he is extremely smart). He has absolute faith on Mason to the point of even being detrimental to his own career. Mason really has become a man at Derby and that was all thanks to Lampards upmost faith in him.

Essentially they both started their professional careers together as player and manager. It really is a father and son situation, as close as it can get to in football (Fergie and Giggs are the best example I can think of that is similar). We can’t forget how young Mason is (21), and this year he has played 51 games for Chelsea. Last year he was playing in the Championship!!!
Lampard will play a 4-3-3. The dream is for Kante in the holding midfield with Havertz (if it goes through) and Mount ahead. Havertz and Mount have a playstyle that absolutely complements each other. (Refer to my extremely long and thorough Analysis of Havertz in his thread to better understand this).

(PS: I have 0 posts, so I can no further reply. If you have questions, private message me)

izec

He will have a hard time nailing down a spot. Ziyech and especially Havertz will be the players dangerous to him for the starting spot. Once Havertz finds his groove, i doubt Mount will stand a chance.

Righteous Steps

Mason Mount is the new Mr. Chelsea. Theres absolutely no chance with him being dropped completely. He is Lampards undroppable from the team and the new Icon for our team coming from the youth, like Terry was.

Many might not know this about Lampard, but he is extremely superstitious (even though he is extremely smart). He has absolute faith on Mason to the point of even being detrimental to his own career. Mason really has become a man at Derby and that was all thanks to Lampards upmost faith in him.

Essentially they both started their professional careers together as player and manager. It really is a father and son situation, as close as it can get to in football (Fergie and Giggs are the best example I can think of that is similar). We can’t forget how young Mason is (21), and this year he has played 51 games for Chelsea. Last year he was playing in the Championship!!!
Lampard will play a 4-3-3. The dream is for Kante in the holding midfield with Havertz (if it goes through) and Mount ahead. Havertz and Mount have a playstyle that absolutely complements each other. (Refer to my extremely long and thorough Analysis of Havertz in his thread to better understand this).

(PS: I have 0 posts, so I can no further reply. If you have questions, private message me)
That midfield would get absolutely torn apart, i mean Kante is barely a competent 6 as it is. Kovacic would need to start.

CaptainBirdseye

Mount, Maddison, Foden, Grealish. Looking forward to the wingerless formation Southgate will have to use to squeeze this lot into an England team

nav_10

Funnily enough, I happened to meet a Chelsea youth player and have a conversation with him.

I asked him about training with the first team and asked him, who stood out in training. Like you watch them during matches but you don't fully understand or appreciate how good they are.

First name he said straight away without hesitation was Mason Mount.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t think it’s clear at all, nor do professional coaches and scouts.
Are we meant to ignore Foden's performances because some scout or coach from Burnley thinks Mason Mount is the only young English player worth mentioning?

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
He will have a hard time nailing down a spot. Ziyech and especially Havertz will be the players dangerous to him for the starting spot. Once Havertz finds his groove, i doubt Mount will stand a chance.
Mount will be fighting with Kovacic as the left cm in a 3.

We've already had a run of games where we play with 2 8's. Typically Kovacic was dropped and we play Barkley Kante Mount. We've even started Barkley Gilmour Mount against Liverpool in the Cup and Everton at home the next game. Played it at Leicester too in the cup but Gilmour was poor (as was mount) but we have in fact played a few games with Barkley and Mount in midfield and haven't been overrun.

I expect mount Kante Havertz to play against the weaker teams and kovacic Kante Havertz to play against the big boys

RooneyLegend

That lot are clueless, there's nothing special about Mount at all.
Not much in it
Wait what?
I don’t think it’s clear at all, nor do professional coaches and scouts.
I don't even think there's a special attribute that Mount has, maybe you could enlighten me?

macheda14

He'll play as the left sided 8 next year. What stood out to me today was that despite starting in 3-4-3 we were in a 4-3-3 shape in possession - James tucked in to play as the right sided 8 and Azpi was playing RB. It's pretty clear at this point that Lampard prefers to play 4-3-3 and word is he's already told Werner he'll be starting up top. That leaves a front 6 of Pulisic - Werner - Ziyech / Mount-Kante-Havertz.
I don’t think Kante can play as a lone CDM, he works best with someone next to him to lay the ball off to and that would mean deploying Havertz too far away from goal. Surely
Werner
Pulisic - Havertz - Ziyech
Kante - Kovacic
looks more likely

RooneyLegend

I really hope Lampard has a lot of faith in him as that'll ultimately hold them back. Nothing special about him at all. You can't even look at him and think he'll develop into something special. Btw, has he always been an attacker? Just like Jesse Lingard, he'll end up in midtable soon enough.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think Kante can play as a lone CDM, he works best with someone next to him to lay the ball off to and that would mean deploying Havertz too far away from goal. Surely
Werner
Pulisic - Havertz - Ziyech
Kante - Kovacic
looks more likely
It's pretty clear Lampard prefers 4-3-3 - before Kante got hurt it's what we were consistently using and even when we line up differently it's the formation we use when in possession. If we can beat City using a midfield 3 of Mount - Kante - Barkley there's no reason Havertz can't step in as he's better than Barkley at literally everything except maybe taking his top off in nightclubs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Mount will no doubt still have his uses in this Chelsea squad (he's better than Barkley for example) but he's no where near good enough to be playing week in week out for a title winning side and it no where near the level of the players Chelsea are signing

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't even think there's a special attribute that Mount has, maybe you could enlighten me?
He's got the best pressing numbers out of any player in the top 4 (12th overall) while also being 10th in the league in shot creation. That's an exceedingly rare and valuable combination.

RooneyLegend

He's got the best pressing numbers out of any player in the top 4 (12th overall) while also being 10th in the league in shot creation. That's an exceedingly rare and valuable combination.
Huh? What are pressing numbers? You're fishing here. Pressing is a coordinated team effort, there's a reason Pep and Klopp sides are traditionally great at pressing. Pep doesn't even need a bunch of athletic hard workers to do it either.

Shot what? Come on now. Let's talk a football language that matters. He's 25th in big chances created. He averages 2 shots a game which yielded 6 goals for him this season. We can't accuse him of intangibles either, he's only got 1.1 dribbles a game so he's not really creating space for anyone. 1.1 tackles and 0.4 interceptions, so hardly a physical presence out there. Average numbers for an average player.

Most importantly he fails the eye test. Technically he's nothing special, he's got decent off the ball movement and decent ball striking but that's about it. Has poor balance, mediocre awareness and really isn't outrunning players of this league. Can't say we've seen great vision from him or quality passing. Another Lingard in the making I tell ya.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Lampard also failed the eye test and ended up an EPL legend. Not saying the same will happen with Mount but you can see why he sees him as a pet project.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Huh? What are pressing numbers? You're fishing here. Pressing is a coordinated team effort, there's a reason Pep and Klopp sides are traditionally great at pressing. Pep doesn't even need a bunch of athletic hard workers to do it either.

Shot what? Come on now. Let's talk a football language that matters. He's 25th in big chances created. He averages 2 shots a game which yielded 6 goals for him this season. We can't accuse him of intangibles either, he's only got 1.1 dribbles a game so he's not really creating space for anyone. 1.1 tackles and 0.4 interceptions, so hardly a physical presence out there. Average numbers for an average player.

Most importantly he fails the eye test. Technically he's nothing special, he's got decent off the ball movement and decent ball striking but that's about it. Has poor balance, mediocre awareness and really isn't outrunning players of this league. Can't say we've seen great vision from him or quality passing. Another Lingard in the making I tell ya.
Of course it's a coordinated team effort that is usually coordinated by a single player who leads the press. Mount is 12th in total pressures, 15th in successful pressures, 10th in attacking third pressures. These are elite numbers, especially for a team with as much possession as Chelsea. If you watch us week-in week-out it's obvious how good he is at it - I'd argue the press that he led was the key to Chelsea winning the semi-final against United.

Shot creation = the 2 actions immediately proceeding shot attempts. Dribbles, fouls drawn, or passes. He's got 111 this year, same as Sterling. Seems silly to use something far more nebulous like big chances which is much more dependent on teammates.

Also you're going on about how he fails the eye test when there are multiple accounts from professionals in this thread who disagree. Hardly as clear cut as you're making out.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Must be Chelsea fan sign up day in here. So much shit being posted

Prodigal7

Mount is a good all rounder but I don’t see him as top level. He’s better than Lingard but he’s not the threat that Foden, Sancho etc are in the attacking midfield positions. He looks like a good character though in terms of mentality, similar to Bruno, and that in itself can boost an entire teams performance.

can’t understand why CHO has fallen down the pecking order as I think he’s got a lot more to him game than Mount.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Mount is a good all rounder but I don’t see him as top level. He’s better than Lingard but he’s not the threat that Foden, Sancho etc are in the attacking midfield positions. He looks like a good character though in terms of mentality, similar to Bruno, and that in itself can boost an entire teams performance.

can’t understand why CHO has fallen down the pecking order as I think he’s got a lot more to him game than Mount.
He hasn't simply just fallen down the pecking order. He returned from a very serious injury and struggled to regain his pre-injury sharpness. His whole season has been one niggly injury after another.