Mason Mount

AgentSmith

Ah ok, make's sense. It really depends if he continues with the 5 at the back nonsense. But I'd probably have a similar line up maybe having Foden or Mount slightly deeper. For me the point of Rice is that he's basically an extra CB, so you need energy next to him but not as defensive as a Henderson.
Rice
Mount - - - Foden
Sterling - - - - Kane - - - - Grealish​

Has a nice look to it. Might make sense given Henderson’s injuries as well.

Probably too bold for Southgate though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah 100% in the squad. His versatility, like you say, and his work rate make him ideal for a squad in a tournament scenario.

If we go with a midfield 3 it seems like Rice and Henderson (injury permitting) are the two definites for Southgate. Leaving room for a creative attacking midfielder.

I’d just struggle to fit Mount into that position ahead of someone like Foden who I think has a higher ceiling:

Henderson - Rice
Sterling - Foden - Grealish
Kane​

with Mount the first choice option to replace any of the midfielders seems a reasonable selection of roles. A lot can change between now and the end of the season though.

Mount really is a manager’s dream of a player; hard-working, tactically switched on, skilful, productive and able to play a few different positions.
Yeah I think what you've said makes sense. Foden is probably the better choice with a double pivot behind him that'd free him to focus on attacking only. It might be interesting to see Mount and Foden either side of Rice - Grealish is certainly a hard worker who can help track back in that scenario, but if Rashford is playing on that left wing more cover in midfield is needed I'd reckon.

Hard to go wrong though given how deep and talented the team is likely to be. Not that I'd put it past Southgate to cock it up somehow, mind!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Ah ok, make's sense. It really depends if he continues with the 5 at the back nonsense. But I'd probably have a similar line up maybe having Foden or Mount slightly deeper. For me the point of Rice is that he's basically an extra CB, so you need energy next to him but not as defensive as a Henderson.
Rice
Mount - - - Foden

Great minds think alike!

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah I think what you've said makes sense. Foden is probably the better choice with a double pivot behind him that'd free him to focus on attacking only. It might be interesting to see Mount and Foden either side of Rice - Grealish is certainly a hard worker who can help track back in that scenario, but if Rashford is playing on that left wing more cover in midfield is needed I'd reckon.

Hard to go wrong though given how deep and talented the team is likely to be. Not that I'd put it past Southgate to cock it up somehow, mind!
Great minds think alike!
Yeah, Lingard will no doubt get another call up before this all happens.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Tbh if England are going to fail in the Euro's it's probably best they fail hard and force the FA to act. A comfortable group progression followed by a tame 1-0 to a big nation that barely go above 2nd gear will give us the false illusion we're on the right track.

This generation are perfectly set up for a hipster manager but instead they may be wasted under Southgate .

simplyared

In order
DM 1. Rice 2. Phillips
CM 1. Grealish
LM 1. Mount 2. Foden 3. Barnes
RW 1. Sancho
FW 1. Kane
LW. 1. Sterling 2. Rashford
Have we ever had it as good as this?

RooneyLegend

He's 3rd in shot creating actions in the whole league, behind only Grealish and Bruno. He's also 3rd in pressures in the league, behind only Hojberg and Bruno. Those other 3 mentioned all probably have a higher ceiling attacking-wise, but Mount's all around game and versatility are what makes him so valuable.
He's joint 22nd on the big chances created stats. Nothing impressive about that. The sort of not so impressive stat that leads to not so impressive assist numbers. Under Lampard he had impressive 'pressures' stats, whatever that is, under Tuchel it's the same. Chelsea under Lampard couldn't defend, under Tuchel they look the best team defensively in all of Europe.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He’s be in a SAF team easily. Very good but not utterly amazing player that contributes and is versatile.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's joint 22nd on the big chances created stats. Nothing impressive about that. The sort of not so impressive stat that leads to not so impressive assist numbers. Under Lampard he had impressive 'pressures' stats, whatever that is, under Tuchel it's the same. Chelsea under Lampard couldn't defend, under Tuchel they look the best team defensively in all of Europe.
Big chances created has quite a bit to do with the positioning of your teammates as well and has a lot of variance. If you're looking for something more robust, he's 10th in the league in expected assists (with the 8th highest figure of expected assists minus actual assists). You could easily argue that Mount is underrated as a creator because he's been let down by his teammates.

Classical Mechanic

Big chances created has quite a bit to do with the positioning of your teammates as well and has a lot of variance. If you're looking for something more robust, he's 10th in the league in expected assists (with the 8th highest figure of expected assists minus actual assists). You could easily argue that Mount is underrated as a creator because he's been let down by his teammates.
I don’t think that’s entirely true. He’s a brilliant corner taker and a lot of his corners end up in a chance, although they are low probability chances they add up. He’s more of a link player who picks up intelligent positions and progresses the move to the attacker, the player he passes to often plays the final pass.

He just needs to work on his end product more but I think he’s more likely to become a goalscorer than an assist king.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think that’s entirely true. He’s a brilliant corner taker and a lot of his corners end up in a chance, although they are low probability chances they add up. He’s more of a link player who picks up intelligent positions and progresses the move to the attacker, the player he passes to often plays the final pass.

He just needs to work on his end product more but I think he’s more likely to become a goalscorer than an assist king.
I agree with that and your point about his corners is a very good one that warrants consideration. He definitely can improve on his final ball from open play - the 1v1 that he created for Werner that was saved by Alisson mid-way through the second half comes to mind. He should have been more decisive in playing the ball inside rather than taking the safer option and pushing Werner further wide.

I just take issue with the (oddly prevalent) notion that he's some sort of water carrier / teacher's pet who isn't in the team on merit. He's been easily our best player this season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I just take issue with the (oddly prevalent) notion that he's some sort of water carrier / teacher's pet who isn't in the team on merit. He's been easily our best player this season.
Well that or that he is a number 10 with poor goals/assists tallies.

I think it’s just proof that as a modern player he doesn’t quite fit into old categories and people who think they know everything want to give him a label.

Sylar

Really good again.
He seems to be good every time I see him or Chelsea play

I don't get why people were saying he's overrated or not good? Is it because Lampard kept picking him? But that's weird because a manager would have been crazy not to play him

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Well that or that he is a number 10 with poor goals/assists tallies.

I think it’s just proof that as a modern player he doesn’t quite fit into old categories and people who think they know everything want to give him a label.
The modern player is defined more by goals / assists than ever before so it seems you've got things in reverse. #10s in the past that had limited productivity (purely in goals / assists) but exerted a lot of influence over the team were adored by fans and pundits in the decades prior to the era of statistical footy. There's really no shortage of examples there.

Mount doesn't control the play nor does he play the final ball well enough to succeed at the top level, in his current role, if neither change. Being a good linkup player isn't enough for a #10, he needs to control the tempo and the focus of the attack and he's never been able to do that, which is why he's so often moved out wide or in midfield. He can't justify a place out wide without more productivity in the long run, so that leaves him with being a supporting midfielder. He can do that well but that's a far cry from what he's been hyped up to be. Which seems silly given it's so easy to compare him to Grealish and see the limitations in his game that should disqualify him from being talked about as an exceptional talent and someone who's carrying his team.

When you start describing a player as someone who can't be defined by conventional roles, who offers all of these intangible benefits that aren't easily categorised or even recognised by the typical fan, and who is exempt from typical criticism of players in his role because he's judged by different standards, it's usually a good indication that you're making excuses for critical deficiencies to justify a flawed overall assessment. The best players today can be judged by most of the same core criteria that were relevant decades ago and they'll still be recognised as the best players today. There are other criteria that are now relevant and new skills that can bolster that assessment further, but players that are poor at many of the main criteria that applied decades ago end up being assessed poorly in this era too. Things haven't changed that much.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He seems to be good every time I see him or Chelsea play

I don't get why people were saying he's overrated or not good? Is it because Lampard kept picking him? But that's weird because a manager would have been crazy not to play him
The overrated thing is very subjective I guess. Is he the best player in the country? No. Has he been Chelsea's most consistent player for a while now? Yes.

Anyone saying he is not a good player either does not watch Chelsea or is utterly clueless.

He's one of the first names on the team sheet for Tuchel, as he was for a totally different type of manager in Lampard.

RooneyLegend

The modern player is defined more by goals / assists than ever before so it seems you've got things in reverse. #10s in the past that had limited productivity (purely in goals / assists) but exerted a lot of influence over the team were adored by fans and pundits in the decades prior to the era of statistical footy. There's really no shortage of examples there.

Mount doesn't control the play nor does he play the final ball well enough to succeed at the top level, in his current role, if neither change. Being a good linkup player isn't enough for a #10, he needs to control the tempo and the focus of the attack and he's never been able to do that, which is why he's so often moved out wide or in midfield. He can't justify a place out wide without more productivity in the long run, so that leaves him with being a supporting midfielder. He can do that well but that's a far cry from what he's been hyped up to be. Which seems silly given it's so easy to compare him to Grealish and see the limitations in his game that should disqualify him from being talked about as an exceptional talent and someone who's carrying his team.

When you start describing a player as someone who can't be defined by conventional roles, who offers all of these intangible benefits that aren't easily categorised or even recognised by the typical fan, and who is exempt from typical criticism of players in his role because he's judged by different standards, it's usually a good indication that you're making excuses for critical deficiencies to justify a flawed overall assessment. The best players today can be judged by most of the same core criteria that were relevant decades ago and they'll still be recognised as the best players today. There are other criteria that are now relevant and new skills that can bolster that assessment further, but players that are poor at many of the main criteria that applied decades ago end up being assessed poorly in this era too. Things haven't changed that much.
:nono: I've been reliably informed that he has the most pressures and is top 3 in xg shot creation or something like that.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Really? I thought he was quite poor in a shite team performance and he was subbed off.

Don't get the hype with this kid he has no real standout qualities.
First half neither Mount or Chelsea were shite in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he’s ace, and crucial to how his team play. When he’s not in the side it simply doesn’t knit together well enough. He’s effective all over the pitch, can dribble away from the press, press well himself, and link play well too. He has a good goalscoring record too. I can see why he’s the sort of player manager’s love, as he’s very economic with his usage of the ball in all phases, and works hard off it.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I think Mount is great, he has a huge repertoire of things he's good or very good at, with and against the ball. What Chelsea lacks atm is a forward/striker who's a consistent difference maker. I guess the good things Mount does for general attacking play will get more recognition when there's someone to top off these plays.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Would find his way into almost any team in Europe, I think. Great energy, technical, tactically flexible, scores goals.

CM

He's a very good player. Mount undeservedly took the flak when Southgate wasn't starting Grealish but nearly every time I watch Chelsea he's their best player by quite a distance.

Makes it even weirder Chelsea spent all that money on attacking midfielders last summer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Would find his way into almost any team in Europe, I think. Great energy, technical, tactically flexible, scores goals.
Think that’s a slight exaggeration which makes him sound world class. He’s a good player but not enough of a game changer for the absolute top level yet. It may still come into his game though.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Think that’s a slight exaggeration which makes him sound world class. He’s a good player but not enough of a game changer for the absolute top level yet. It may still come into his game though.
Don’t mean to make him sound world class, don’t think he is, but think he’d get games at Juventus, PSG, United and others. I mean get regular games, rather than being their best midfielder. You could say the same about a few other English midfielders though.

SirMarcusRashford

I think he's great, underrated a lot in England or was a few months ago (hence why Southgate was getting abuse for picking him), but i do think people in England are starting to see how good he is now though.

During the Athletico/Chelsea match, i typed his name on Twitter and was seeing a lot of Spanish people talking about him and out of interest (and boredom) was sticking these Tweets into Google translator to see what they had to say and all was positive, i think he would be a lot more appreciated in Spain than in England, but in England i think he would be a lot more appreciated if he was Spanish :/

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
There is a hierarchy of nerds without a doubt. In order of cool to uncool...

Actual scientists
Gamers
Adults who watch cartoons
Film buffs
Gym/fitness nerds
LARPers
Bronies
Football stat nerds. The xGers.
I think football stat nerds are the uncoolest but you forgot to put professional data scientists and software developers somewhere

ForeverRed1

I was watching a video earlier, super 6, hold the L. It was a few lads (DT from arsenal) and a couple others discussing who was better, mount, grealish, Maddison or Foden. Mount was seriously overlooked but I think he’s proving himself now, I think he has really shown his capabilities and would get into any premier league side. Good player, top attitude. Really likeable bloke. Unfortunately Chelsea got a good one on their hands.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Thought he would be another Ross Barkley when he broke through, but he's really proven himself. On the way to being a "top, top" player.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Rice
Mount - - - Foden

on current form I'd probably put Sancho on the right wing (hes been great second half of the season) and left wing could be stirling, Rashford or Graelish ... but that is for sure the idfield three I would like to see - at least in games where we expect to have a lot of the ball (possibly putting in a 2nd DM for tougher games)