Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It depends what we see in Mount as a profile, for me ETH has clearly used a 6 (Defensive, sits deep and slots into the back 2 in transition) Casemiro, we have a DLP (Eriksen) or a B2B (Fred/ Sabitzer) depending on availability where Eriksen looks to create from deep and the B2B carry the ball and get in the box for attacks but equally get back to help out. We then play with a 10 that works hard and tries to create and takes risks, I don't see Mount as any of them as we are very much a 1 behind 2 in the midfield and Mount is far better profile with 2 other players like him where it's a midfield 3 perhaps with a back 5 so perhaps ETH has seen something about him that he feels he can change his style a little bit.

SATA

That’s an insane amount of pages jumped considering we haven’t even put a bid in yet for the player. Imagine if we did :lol:

FerociousCorgis

I just can’t get my head around this one
i mean the only way i can maybe understand this if EtH is viewing rashford as more a CF, and plans on buying a younger, more developmental CF to back him up. Then you have rash more central and bruno becomes his tadic out wide and he wants mount in the middle i guess? Idk havent seen much of mount tbh. But even if he wants to push bruno wide as his new Ajax tadic role if you dont move rashford central there just arent enough spaces for it.

croadyman

i mean the only way i can maybe understand this if EtH is viewing rashford as more a CF, and plans on buying a younger, more developmental CF to back him up. Then you have rash more central and bruno becomes his tadic out wide and he wants mount in the middle i guess? Idk havent seen much of mount tbh. But even if he wants to push bruno wide as his new Ajax tadic role if you dont move rashford central there just arent enough spaces for it.
I could understand it with Rice & Kane because see where they fit into team but not him

SirScholes

If you look at it that way then pretty much. He's basically Thomas Muller, no playmaking and no dribbling. Offering good end of product, pair of legs, versatility, off ball movement, pressing, and link-up play. Mount and Muller are the player that we wish VDB will become but never become.
Absolute disgrace to Muller!
I’m not convinced he has a end product that’s better than the average pl player

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mount is a decent player. However I don't understand why we have to be so predictable and part with £50 million for him (and pay him something in the region of £200,000 per week, in all likelihood) when we could instead construct awesome playmaking depth for the foreseeable future with a similar-ish investment by signing 2-3 cheaper talents with comparable or better technical conditions — like Martin Baturina at Dinamo Zagreb (widely considered the best young midfielder at the club since Kovacić), Kang-in Lee at Mallorca (one of the most effective ball-carriers in La Liga and has a €17 million release clause), Xavi Simons at PSV (versatile, and probably the most dominant player at the club since Robben (buyback complications with Paris Saint-Germain notwithstanding)), Alberto Moleiro at Las Palmas (pocket-sized dynamo who is 2nd for assists in the Segunda División), Arda Güler at Fenerbahçe (adapts to different roles and has a knack for killer passes), Alex Scott at Bristol City (wonderfully press resistant, shades of Frenkie de Jong) and others, no doubt (I'm by no means a professional scout with access to top-of-the-line archives and databases). Maybe players like that will not amount to much in the Premier League (whereas Mount is proven to a reasonably good level), but every season we see clubs making astute signings that pay dividends — we won't know until we get creative and take the proverbial plunge, will we?
Because we are still stuck in the stone ages with how we recruit and it's fecking embarassing. I'm really reading comments in this thread of people shrugging their shoulders and saying "uh what players can we really sign for 50m that are better than Mount though?"

It's fine, we'll get taken to the cleaners and then laughed at in a year

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Also Bruno wide is just idiotic if that's what ETH wants. Tadic is a miles better dribbler than him and was even more so when ETH was there. It's a fecking stupid idea
You can find comfort in the idea that it's likely not an actual target for the club.

NK86

Because we are still stuck in the stone ages with how we recruit and it's fecking embarassing. I'm really reading comments in this thread of people shrugging their shoulders and saying "uh what players can we really sign for 50m that are better than Mount though?"

It's fine, we'll get taken to the cleaners and then laughed at in a year
And then the same posters will crib that the club's scouting is crap

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Mount is a decent player. However I don't understand why we have to be so predictable and part with £50 million for him (and pay him something in the region of £200,000 per week, in all likelihood) when we could instead construct awesome playmaking depth for the foreseeable future with a similar-ish investment by signing 2-3 cheaper talents with comparable or better technical conditions — like Martin Baturina at Dinamo Zagreb (widely considered the best young midfielder at the club since Kovacić), Kang-in Lee at Mallorca (one of the most effective ball-carriers in La Liga and has a €17 million release clause), Xavi Simons at PSV (versatile, and probably the most dominant player at the club since Robben (buyback complications with Paris Saint-Germain notwithstanding)), Alberto Moleiro at Las Palmas (pocket-sized dynamo who is 2nd for assists in the Segunda División), Arda Güler at Fenerbahçe (adapts to different roles and has a knack for killer passes), Alex Scott at Bristol City (wonderfully press resistant, shades of Frenkie de Jong) and others, no doubt (I'm by no means a professional scout with access to top-of-the-line archives and databases). Maybe players like that will not amount to much in the Premier League (whereas Mount is proven to a reasonably good level), but every season we see clubs making astute signings that pay dividends — we won't know until we get creative and take the proverbial plunge, will we?
Bingo. Especially as we have Casemiro and Eriksen as known quantities. They wouldn't need to start immediately and with their ages/suspension record they'd get plenty of opportunities.

The bolded part is what is really frustrating what I was talking about earlier in the thread, we can only suggest so much from the limited tools and data we have access too and the lack of time to pair that with video analysis to give a full picture. I can suggest players, with not enough depth of knowledge to really argue my preference for one or the other.

ColvaleGoa

City have like 3/4 top players who are only on bench most weeks. We need to bolster our ranks.

There's strong rumours we are after Rice Kane and Mount now too so there's clearly a ton of money coming in very soon.

Wow if he comes along Kane and Rice..than it's okay. As long as we don't spunk silly money on Chelsea Reject

Big_Bro

I'm hoping it's just a joke or the media just making up stories cos I don't see why we should be going for MM.

I'd rather we throw our weight trying to sign James Madison. I'm not just comfortable with this Mason Mount and the amount of money we are willing to part with for his signing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Wow if he comes along Kane and Rice..than it's okay. As long as we don't spunk silly money on Chelsea Reject
Not a reject. He's refusing to sign a new deal because Chelsea are trying to get their wage bill down. They don't want to lose him

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
based on what, what is he better at exactly?
I'd agree that he's better than Wijnaldum (as long as this season was the exception and Mount gets back to the form he was in previously). Certainly wouldn't take him ahead of Henderson in the deeper role though, I think Henderson was quite a lot better than he gets credit for on here.

RedRoach

Such as average player. He is another player who I watch with England and he is there on the pitch but I don't know what he does and why he is consistently selected. We need players with spark in the Garnacho mould not this guy.

luke511

If you look at the under the radar signings we have made I cannot bring to mind any that have been successful, even broken into the first team, a few through the you scheme, notably Garnacho from Atleti which at 420k seems like a great deal, especially compared to the fees mentioned in regards to Amad and Pelistri.

I think the last player we signed I had no idea of, who actually turned out to be successful would be Vidic, I am not accepting Martial as a success

So I have no faith in our scouting team
I think Amad and Pellestri were good, with potential to be great, signings but Solskjaer didn't give them a sniff because they weren't his signings and he wanted Sancho. I'm a firm believer if we had invested game time into them when we first bought them, we could've saved the fees of Sancho and Antony and invested that into the centre midfielder and forward position instead. We scouted the likes of Caicedo and Alvarez but again, the power lies in the manager and Murtough's hands and we didn't chase them as hard as we should have, the same goes for Bellingham.

redIndianDevil

Not a reject. He's refusing to sign a new deal because Chelsea are trying to get their wage bill down. They don't want to lose him
If they don't want to lose him, then they'd pay up. He is a reject because they are sure they can compete without him.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Also Bruno wide is just idiotic if that's what ETH wants. Tadic is a miles better dribbler than him and was even more so when ETH was there. It's a fecking stupid idea
The comparison with Ziyech would be better, who used to be a midfielder too. Also RW, where Bruno would play on the wide. Hate the idea as well, think it's not going to happen though. Surely Bruno will be our 8 if Mount were to come in.

CallyRed

I wish you was our Sporting Director

monkfish

I hope this isn't true. I thought we were looking for a highly technical 8 who can carry the ball well and has a good passing range?

Laurencio

If this means we get him and rice for our midfield I'd be chuffed. Quality players who work incredibly hard and are good professionals is not bad thing to have.

Even without Rice he's a very useful player to have, maybe not an automatic starter, but certainly a great option to have.

cyberman

What top side operates like this? I remember when teams were supposed to follow the West Ham or Southampton model and look at them now

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
When people are saying Klopp wants him, so he must see something… just remember

Jeffthered

You don’t pay £80m for a rotation player ffs. How many players have Bayern EVER paid £80m for? And he’s shown he’s not good enough at Chelsea, why the feck would paying that much for him be a good deal?
You need to think about whether you want to improve your squad or manage pure strings. Mason Mount, if signed, would play plenty of games.. we need another quality, two at least in fact, top quality Premiership midfielders. We play almost 70 games a season, that's close to two Premiership campaigns.

He offers variety, across a number of positions.

We all know the Premiership is crazy money, but it seems it's the likes of Brighton, Wolves, Villa who are picking up players, so called under-the-radar, and I have stated on many occasions that we need to improve our scouting of lower league players across Europe and beyond. There are v v good players out there to be had.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You need to think about whether you want to improve your squad or manage pure strings. Mason Mount, if signed, would play plenty of games.. we need another quality, two at least in fact, top quality Premiership midfielders. We play almost 70 games a season, that's close to two Premiership campaigns.

He offers variety, across a number of positions.

We all know the Premiership is crazy money, but it seems it's the likes of Brighton, Wolves, Villa who are picking up players, so called under-the-radar, and I have stated on many occasions that we need to improve our scouting of lower league players across Europe and beyond. There are v v good players out there to be had.
For the record Mount is even less of a midfielder than Bruno is in terms of positioning.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If this means we get him and rice for our midfield I'd be chuffed. Quality players who work incredibly hard and are good professionals is not bad thing to have.

Even without Rice he's a very useful player to have, maybe not an automatic starter, but certainly a great option to have.
If Rice is signed then he'll end up on the bench. There's no way that Mount will play ahead of Bruno, Casemiro and Rice. Unless.....Bruno is moved as RW which I very much doubt.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think people are overthinking where Mount would fit in if he came.

The Athletic's article makes their perception of it clear:

United manager Erik ten Hag has highlighted two positions as his priority this summer: a centre-forward and a No 8. Regarding the latter, he has wanted an energetic midfielder who can excel in both the defensive and attacking work, which — as discussed above — is something Mount can do.
That #8 role is also what Mount himself considers his best position.

And he has previously played that role in a 4-3-3 under Lampard alongside Kovacic, with Kante as the defensive presence.

And there's a very obvious overlap in profile between Mount and Eriksen, who ETH has played as an #8 all season. Despite many here thinking Erisken wouldn't be used that way last summer, wasn't defensively secure enough, would be a rotation player, or would take Bruno's place. The exact same arguments in regard to Mount.

Using Casemiro/Mount/Bruno as the midfield in a 4-3-3 isn't what I'd do. But it seems pretty obviously something ETH is more likely to do than displacing one of Bruno, Rashford and Antony, three of his key and favoured players. If we sign Mount for that kind of starting player money, that's almost certainly how we set up, for good or ill.

Stacks

Can you please reach out to United with these ideas? Maybe put in an application because we spent far too much so far on average players

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think people are overthinking where Mount would fit in if he came.

The Athletic's article makes their perception of it clear:

That #8 role is also what Mount himself considers his best position.

And he has previously played that role in a 4-3-3 under Lampard alongside Kovacic, with Kante as the defensive presence.

And there's a very obvious overlap in profile between Mount and Eriksen, who ETH has played as an #8 all season. Despite many here thinking Erisken wouldn't be used that way last summer, wasn't defensively secure enough, would be a rotation player, or would take Bruno's place. The exact same arguments in regard to Mount.

Using Casemiro/Mount/Bruno as the midfield in a 4-3-3 isn't what I'd do. But it seems pretty obviously something ETH is more likely to do than displacing one of Bruno, Rashford and Antony, three of his key and favoured players. If we sign Mount for that kind of starting player money, that's almost certainly how we set up, for good or ill.
That's what people will use against your point. :D

Unathletic FFS, what are you on about?
From Chelsea fans:

Runs around a lot, high amount of final third presses albeit with a low success rate but he's another slow, weak player to add to our collection.

Standard Mason Mount performance:

Status
Not open for further replies.