Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainoldo

Would argue that Maddison has been brilliant at times this season, consistently good or better performances in a team that is underperforming, whereas Mount has not been that good in a team full of quality,

I don't know about which clubs prefer, this is what I prefer... I think Maddison is the better player and also fits our needs better as covers the width of the pitch whereas Mount occupies the left where we have Rashford and Garnacho....

if we were offered either for the same price, my answer would be Maddison hands down, all day long and twice on a sunday
But he’s crap off the ball and lacks an engine. What makes Man City great is all there players are brilliant off the ball. That alone is why we will not be going for James Maddison under ETH.

croadyman

I think he makes more sense than Maddison. They're not very similar. Maddison strikes me as a bit old school, more like the old number 10 even though he can play wide too. He seems to float around. He has undoubted quality, his creation and ability to bag a goal is very good, but he only seems switched on when the ball is at his feet. There was a time when Leicester were routinely subbing him later in games as he doesn't run particularly hard or press.

If ETH wants Mount it's probably for some tactical reasons and for a particular profile.
Like I said in my previous post his ability to play multiple positions is key,also feel Erik may have changed his idea of CM he wants with De Jong now fully committed to Barca

crossy1686

career ending
The bold part makes no sense. Why can't ETH know a player unless it's this last season? I think it's much more about the type of player he wants rather then this/last seasons performance.
Why would Ten Hag, manager of Ajax, spend any time scouting or watching Mason Mount, Chelsea player, closely outside of some Champions League games or games when Chelsea played against Ajax? You think he had a chance to sign him or something? Do Ajax usually drop £100m bids/£350k a week contracts on English Champions League winners?

I'm willing to bet you that this isn't a Ten Hag player and it's an easy situation for the dweebs at United who don't know how to do transfers properly, and they think Mount looks a bit like De Jong.

Prodigal7

Mount is criminally underrated on this forum that seems to recognise flair and pace and not much else.
Mount is one of the most complete players in Europe. The guy got 11 goals and 10 assists last season in the PL alone and would have got at least the same this season no doubt if he wasn't unsettled about his future.
He would be a big upgrade on Mctominay and Fred whilst providing a more dynamic option to Bruno. He could also play next to Casemiro in the home matches against the likes of Bournemouth etc.

My only concern is the price we'd have to pay.

croadyman

Mount is criminally underrated on this forum that seems to recognise flair and pace and not much else.
Mount is one of the most complete players in Europe. The guy got 11 goals and 10 assists last season in the PL alone and would have got the same this season no doubt if he wasn't unsettled about his future.
He would be a big upgrade on Mctominay and Fred whilst providing a more dynamic option to Bruno. He could also play next to Casemiro in the home matches against the likes of Bournemouth etc.

My only concern is the price we'd have to pay.
Oh yeah he works next to Casa in those kind of games,however still need a Rice/Caicedo when we face the likes of City/Arsenal or scousers whether home or away

Prodigal7

Oh yeah he works next to Casa in those kind of games,however still need a Rice/Caicedo when we face the likes of City/Arsenal or scousers whether home or away
Yeah for sure. That's no reason not to get Mount though as we need a stronger squad to compete with the likes of City. In fact given the fact they're best mates, getting Mount would massively increase the chances of getting Rice.

croadyman

Yeah for sure. That's no reason not to get Mount though as we need a stronger squad to compete with the likes of City. In fact given the fact they're best mates, getting Mount would massively increase the chances of getting Rice.
Yeah but still unconvinced that Rice and his young family want to leave London. However like you say having his best mate there could certainly give him food for thought

jackal&hyde

Why would Ten Hag, manager of Ajax, spend any time scouting or watching Mason Mount, Chelsea player, closely outside of some Champions League games or games when Chelsea played against Ajax? You think he had a chance to sign him or something? Do Ajax usually drop £100m bids/£350k a week contracts on English Champions League winners?

I'm willing to bet you that this isn't a Ten Hag player and it's an easy situation for the dweebs at United who don't know how to do transfers properly, and they think Mount looks a bit like De Jong.
A manager of Ajax or most managers in top football, I am sure they know much about players at top clubs. This is a key player from Chelsea FC at one point, not some player from the North Korean league. This is the PL; if you and I know about it, then a top manager knows much, much more.

LuckyScout78

Definitely a good attacking player. But i am not sure where he fits in. As a CAM or CM player?

CAM = nr 10 role = Bruno's rotation?

CM = get to be box to box cm player. Not sure

Mainoldo

Yeah but still unconvinced that Rice and his young family want to leave London. However like you say having his best mate there could certainly give him food for thought
He probably doesn’t. But if Lingard stays down south I’m sure living in his place will help him settle in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we add Rabiot and Mount to our midfield, we will have 5 midfielders who are good enough to play for top 4 teams or teams that want to challenge the league (May be Eriksen slightly on declined). But the point is we will make a massive upgrade to our midfield quality depth if we sign those two.

Rabiot is a starting XI French midfielder for years, surely someone like that is good enough to play for any top teams. Mount won Champions league and chelsea player of the year in 2 seasons under Tuchel, that alone is enough to tell me he has the talent and potential for top teams player.

LuckyScout78

Mount is more of Lampard type of player. Mount is best known for timing his run into the box like Lampard. A really good and sharp finisher.

Sancho - Mount - Rashford + Kane/Martial

zbcrow15

Would argue that Maddison has been brilliant at times this season, consistently good or better performances in a team that is underperforming, whereas Mount has not been that good in a team full of quality,

I don't know about which clubs prefer, this is what I prefer... I think Maddison is the better player and also fits our needs better as covers the width of the pitch whereas Mount occupies the left where we have Rashford and Garnacho....

if we were offered either for the same price, my answer would be Maddison hands down, all day long and twice on a sunday
I agree with you. I think he will be available for a cheaper price than Mount and the fact that he can play RW is the boost for me. He gives cover to Bruno and we can play them both if we are going after a win or a goal at the end of a game.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Mount is not about playing 1 position in this ‘world class’ way that the fans have analyzed.

He is a player that can play multiple positions at once.

Mount can play LW/LAM/False 9/RAM/RW, CAM, LCM, RCM and arguably as a secondary CDM as well.

Just because we start a game with a 433 doesn’t mean have to play the whole 90 mins stuck in those positions.

If Ten Hag sees the opposition RB giving space/ getting tired then soon as he sees it he can utelize Mount’s flexibility to stop playing as a CAM and start playing as a secondary LW to target the space together with Rashford. This is why the fans are surprised seeing Wan Bissaka on the left yesterday - because ten Hag uses his runs and positions to target a particular tactic of an attack.

If he wants to stop playing 433 and play a 352 then he can use Mount as a temporary double sitter before he decides to switch the formation back in to a 4231 - all dependent on Mount’s positions.

I never rated him but the managers love him and I’m starting to see why. He gives flexibility, giving us the ability to have a temporary extra player to change our tactics, formation and targets with the different flexible positioning of Mount.

He is going to be amazing under Ten Hag and apparently he has always wanted to manage him.
Your argument for playing as a secondary CDM would be weak as feck. Versatility as a plus should be why you sign someone for a decent fee, not a big one and big wages.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Your argument for playing as a secondary CDM would be weak as feck. Versatility as a plus should be why you sign someone for a decent fee, not a big one and big wages.
That doesn’t mean he plays as a 2nd CDM all game though just because he starts there.

Why can’t he temporarily play like a makeshift energetic Fred in a 4231 or a 433 inwith Casemiro just to break down an attack before turning in to a temporary LW to overlap Rashford as he decided to make a run inwards.

People look at Mount and think - he is not a world class as a CAM because he doesn’t play like De Bruyne and gets all these assist.

Mason Mount is the jack of all trades - master of none. He can play anywhere, even temporarily just to outsmart the opposition.

The fanbase see he isn’t a master of anything and therefore don’t rate him - when the managers love him because he can play anywhere and play all these positions momentarily with technical ability & with energy.

Having the jack of all trades is more valuable to the coaches so than to the fans.

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That doesn’t mean he plays as a 2nd CDM all game though just because he starts there.

Why can’t he temporarily play like a makeshift energetic Fred in a 4231 or a 433 inwith Casemiro just to break down an attack before turning in to a temporary LW to overlap Rashford as he decided to make a run inwards.

People look at Mount and think - he is not a world class as a CAM because he doesn’t play like De Bruyne and gets all these assist.

Mason Mount is the jack of all trades - master of none. He can play anywhere, even temporarily just to outsmart the opposition.

The fanbase see he isn’t a master of anything and therefore don’t rate him - when the managers love him because he can play anywhere and play all these positions temporarily and with energy.

Having the jack of all trades is more valuable to the coaches so than to the fans.
I think you have be disingenuous in your criticism if you actually think he's a bad player, he has some extremely good traits and is that "managers dream" because he will play in a system extremely well to instruction. In no way should that translate for him coming in for a large fee and be one of our top earners. It's absurd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I would rather sign Lee Mason to play instead of Mason Mount ffs. What a terrible signing it would be, can't even make a terrible Chelsea side. Signing rejects.
He was Chelsea's player of the season for two years running before this season where their club was destroyed by a psychopath.

Bebestation

I think you have be disingenuous in your criticism if you actually think he's a bad player, he has some extremely good traits and is that "managers dream" because he will play in a system extremely well to instruction. In no way should that translate for him coming in for a large fee and be one of our top earners. It's absurd.
Ten Hag wants the jack of all trades to be his mobile transporting number 8. That’s why Ten Hag apparently always wanted to manage him.

He gets to learn passing from Eriksen- who can pass but is not very mobile.

I think he’s bringing Rice to learn from Casemiro and learn passing from Eriksen as well.

If I’ve got this right - then I think what he’s planned to do is fantastic.

He has targeted experienced players close to how he wants to play and then buying the best young players of the league he thinks can overtake them or at least learn and improve under them.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Maybe just wanting to know what his profile is in case he plays against him is enough?

Ten Hag saw him in footage preparing for any future matches against Chelsea, made a mental note of "this lad isn't bad". And then Chelsea imploded, lots of players aren't happy, his agent floats the idea to several clubs, and Ten Hag thinks "I remember this lad not being bad"

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ten Hag wants the jack of all trades to be his mobile transporting number 8. That’s why Ten Hag apparently always wanted to manage him.

I think he’s bringing Rice to learn from Casemiro and learn passing from Eriksen as well.

He has targeted experienced players close to how he wants to play and then buying the best young players of the league he thinks can overtake them or at least learn and improve under them.
Does it work that way? "I'll learn xyz skills off this player and just add that to my locker"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Does it work that way? "I'll learn xyz skills off this player and just add that to my locker"
No, it doesn't. Especially passing, it comes from years of training and repetitions with coaches that are able to not only understand a player weakness/strength but also communicate in a way that allows a player to approve.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
ETH has done a great job so far but somebody drill some sense into him. I thought he was a possession oriented manager!?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

This is probably the biggest reach I've seen off the back of a couple of tweets.

I think we'll sign neither of them, personally. Mount will probably will extend his contract and Rice will end up at Arsenal.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He would be a decent signing who would add depth to our midfield. I would like to see a CM brought in as well this summer but not got a problem with seeing Mount and Casemiro doing synchronised "Just won a tenner at the bingo" fist pumps at some point next season.

It worked in Heroes...

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

You buy Mount and tweak the system away from needing a player like de Jong, not to turn him into de Jong.

Did he try and turn Berghuis or Gravenberch into de Jong?

Hoof the ball

Just realising that if we're in for Rice this summer too, then getting Mount would massively sway Rice in our favour. Those two are joined at the hip.

Anyone thinking the Mount acquisition could be to the larger end of getting Rice to favour us over Liverpool and Arsenal?

Bebestation

Well you don’t just get to pass like Eriksen just because you play with him - but you learn things about things like positioning and energy.

Consider this - will a young striker like Ferguson learn his positioning to play deeper through training with Kane?

I say so it probably does.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well you don’t just get to pass like Eriksen just because you play with him - but you learn things about things like positioning and energy.

Consider this - will a young striker like Ferguson learn his positioning to play deeper through training with Kane?

I say so it probably does.
Learning yes but you posted it in a manner which suggested the impact from learning from them is a given. We dont really know that.

jesperjaap

Mount barring this season, wasnt he player of the year the last two seasons in a side packed with quality players?

Can understand a preference for Maddison but the narrative on this thread of Mount not being a good player in this thread is a little surprising. Dont get me wrong I agree with some of the points you are making and no guarantees either a success. Mata was player of the season at CHelsea and nevere replicated the form here as moved positions to accomodate him. Personally I think either are great signings for certain clubs and top clubs, but not great signings in terms of what we need here, but its hardly like either would be bad signings which a lot of people seem to be alluding to in the case of Mount especially

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
ETH has done a great job so far but somebody drill some sense into him. I thought he was a possession oriented manager!?
He’s not really a possession oriented manager like Pep because I remember his team has less possession in UCL semi final against Pochettino Spurs. He’s more like mix of Pep and Klopp. Pep is obsessed with his keeper and defenders to be very good on the ball to play from the back as part of his philosophy to build up the play to score goals which something ten Hag wants to do. Klopp is obsessed with high energy and aggression to play his gengen pressing, which also something that ETH is demanding.

This is probably why you see similarity in ETH’s defenders and keeper criteria when at Ajax to Pep’s. But you see more similarity in ETH’s midfield criteria to Klopp. It’s no wonder both klopp and ten Hag are interested in Mac Alister and Mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.