Gaming Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
ME1 is all about the brilliant story. The combat is horrible and repetive but the story, world, lore, characters are all epic. It’s an amazing space opera. I’m surprised it hasn’t been picked up for a tv show yet with the amount of adaptations going around.

2 is a much better “game” (with a bit of a weaker story as the awkward middle child), you’ll love it.
Don't Amazon have the rights?

But yeh the overall story of one could be adapted well... They'd have to change where the Reaper storyline goes after the first game as that becomes a bit of a mess in two and then a huge mess in three. But then should a Mass Effect TV show be the characters/crew exploring worlds/meeting races/doing jobs on an episode by episode basis? With the Repears a background plot that runs throughout.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just finished all these. A very good remake. I forgot how bad ME3 was at the end / in the first mission it feels so different to the others but overall it’s a bloody good game. Loved playing through them all again and excited for the new one.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
New teaser...

It's only a 30 second teaser and a promo image but it gives the feel of a more stealth-focused game rather than action cover shooter.

Bebe

I have zero faith in Bioware making a competent Mass Effect sequel/spinoff/whatever, let alone one that comes anywhere close to the original trilogy.

Kaos

I have zero faith in Bioware making a competent Mass Effect sequel/spinoff/whatever, let alone one that comes anywhere close to the original trilogy.
Yeah thats where I'm at too unfortunately.

The BioWare we knew and loved are pretty much dead these days, and their EA-ification is pretty much complete. Andromeda made me suspect as much, and Anthem pretty much confirmed it. Which is a shame considering the Mass Effect trilogy, KOTOR, NWN and DAO are amongst my favourite ever games.

Bebe

Yeah thats where I'm at too unfortunately.

The BioWare we knew and loved are pretty much dead these days, and their EA-ification is pretty much complete. Andromeda made me suspect as much, and Anthem pretty much confirmed it. Which is a shame considering the Mass Effect trilogy, KOTOR, NWN and DAO are amongst my favourite ever games.
It's become a case study in how to destroy an excellent, creative developer.

Out of curiosity, where would you say the decline started? My history with Bioware began at Mass Effect 1, and then DA:O which remain two of my favourite games of all time. In the mid 2010s I went back and played KOTOR, also amazing. All three are games that prioritized great story, great characters and combat emphasizing tactical depth.

Mass Effect 2 was brilliant, and in many ways the best of the trilogy. But I also feel that it's the first game where "streamlining" became a big thing, and so weirdly I think the first seeds of Bioware's fall were sown with what many consider to be their best game.

Dragon Age 2 very clearly continued that trend and was the first game from Bioware I could consider "bad", even though it did a lot of things very well (story with its time periods, characters, interesting moral dilemmas). Combat was entirely dumbed down from DA:O and the less said about the recycled dungeon areas, the better.

Mass Effect 3 showed even more "streamlining" and introduced a multiplayer mode that was surprisingly good, but also utterly unnecessary and took away resources from the single player story, which is all prior Bioware games had focused on. The integration of that multiplayer into the main story was obnoxious as feck. And the Prothean squadmate being an add on, extra charge DLC was simply reprehensible for anyone who understood the story implications of a Prothean character. While I don't hate Mass Effect 3 and think it's a pretty great game for the first 80%, I think it's also the game that makes abundantly clear to anyone still not convinced that Bioware were accelerating down a path that leads to ruin.

Dragon Age: Inquisition just furthered the trend. Massive world with a bunch of collectathon bs, incredibly bare bones main story (again, what Bioware were known for). Combat looked cool but wasn't fun, and all semblance of tactical gameplay had gone entirely out the window. This is also the game where it seems Bioware started believing that their core audience cares about which party members can be fecked more than whether those characters are interesting or relevant to the plot. It's something that still plagues RPGs today (see some of the reception to BG3). Romance in games is great and has come a long way, but I'm trying to play an epic adventure, not a dating simulator. Again, this wasn't necessarily a bad game (I think it garnered some GOTY awards or nominations etc, which is just shocking to me), but it was soulless and further evidenced Bioware's now rather apparent decline.

I never played Andromeda or Anthem and don't feel I need to in order to say that Bioware is dead, in the sense that the studio has long departed from everything (in particular story, characters and combat depth) that made them so beloved in the 00s.

/end rant

Kaos

It's become a case study in how to destroy an excellent, creative developer.

Out of curiosity, where would you say the decline started? My history with Bioware began at Mass Effect 1, and then DA:O which remain two of my favourite games of all time. In the mid 2010s I went back and played KOTOR, also amazing. All three are games that prioritized great story, great characters and combat emphasizing tactical depth.

Mass Effect 2 was brilliant, and in many ways the best of the trilogy. But I also feel that it's the first game where "streamlining" became a big thing, and so weirdly I think the first seeds of Bioware's fall were sown with what many consider to be their best game.

Dragon Age 2 very clearly continued that trend and was the first game from Bioware I could consider "bad", even though it did a lot of things very well (story with its time periods, characters, interesting moral dilemmas). Combat was entirely dumbed down from DA:O and the less said about the recycled dungeon areas, the better.

Mass Effect 3 showed even more "streamlining" and introduced a multiplayer mode that was surprisingly good, but also utterly unnecessary and took away resources from the single player story, which is all prior Bioware games had focused on. The integration of that multiplayer into the main story was obnoxious as feck. And the Prothean squadmate being an add on, extra charge DLC was simply reprehensible for anyone who understood the story implications of a Prothean character. While I don't hate Mass Effect 3 and think it's a pretty great game for the first 80%, I think it's also the game that makes abundantly clear to anyone still not convinced that Bioware were accelerating down a path that leads to ruin.

Dragon Age: Inquisition just furthered the trend. Massive world with a bunch of collectathon bs, incredibly bare bones main story (again, what Bioware were known for). Combat looked cool but wasn't fun, and all semblance of tactical gameplay had gone entirely out the window. This is also the game where it seems Bioware started believing that their core audience cares about which party members can be fecked more than whether those characters are interesting or relevant to the plot. It's something that still plagues RPGs today (see some of the reception to BG3). Romance in games is great and has come a long way, but I'm trying to play an epic adventure, not a dating simulator. Again, this wasn't necessarily a bad game (I think it garnered some GOTY awards or nominations etc, which is just shocking to me), but it was soulless and further evidenced Bioware's now rather apparent decline.

I never played Andromeda or Anthem and don't feel I need to in order to say that Bioware is dead, in the sense that the studio has long departed from everything (in particular story, characters and combat depth) that made them so beloved in the 00s.

/end rant
Its a good question. Dragon Age 2 was probably the first BioWare game I played and felt very underwhelmed by considering the standards I had for them back then. But Mass Effect 3 was when I started to feel the EA scummy practices we all dreaded finally rearing their ugly head. For what its worth I actually loved ME3 despite the shite ending, its just the pathetic day one DLC gatekeeping with a key side character, and like you mention the multiplayer which was clearly shoehorned in for EA to tease their own monetisation of a single a player game. However it wasn't until DA:I when I finally accepted they were no longer the BioWare I knew and loved. Since then I've pretty much avoided their big releases, and it appears I've been dignified in doing so.

I just don't see how they can restore themselves to what they once were, not with the EA albatross around their neck, but also the fact that all the best talents - notably the doctor founders, writers like Karpyshyn and various other key devs and producers have been long gone.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Sad to see the fall of BioWare. I’ve been playing their games since KOTOR and Baldurs Gate 1. Mass effect is my favourite console game series.

Sad but not surprising. Great developers invariably get swallowed up by big corporations like EA. The best people move on and the developer becomes a shell of what they were. Just the name remains.

Larian are the new BioWare :devil:

Bebe

Its a good question. Dragon Age 2 was probably the first BioWare game I played and felt very underwhelmed by considering the standards I had for them back then. But Mass Effect 3 was when I started to feel the EA scummy practices we all dreaded finally rearing their ugly head. For what its worth I actually loved ME3 despite the shite ending, its just the pathetic day one DLC gatekeeping with a key side character, and like you mention the multiplayer which was clearly shoehorned in for EA to tease their own monetisation of a single a player game. However it wasn't until DA:I when I finally accepted they were no longer the BioWare I knew and loved. Since then I've pretty much avoided their big releases, and it appears I've been dignified in doing so.

I just don't see how they can restore themselves to what they once were, not with the EA albatross around their neck, but also the fact that all the best talents - notably the doctor founders, writers like Karpyshyn and various other key devs and producers have been long gone.
I'd agree with everything you've said here, and I also don't see any way back. Everything and everyone that made Bioware "Bioware" is gone, and in most cases left a decade ago or more.

I hate to say this about a western canadian developer that created it's own incredible IPs, but at this point my best case scenario would be the IPs sold or given to another studio. Dragon Age in particular, as we at least got a brilliant trilogy with Mass Effect, whereas I think Dragon Age had one incredible game, setting up an incredible world, and then two games that oscillate somewhere between half assed and shite.

Larian are the new BioWare :devil:
God bless em

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I actually enjoyed Andromeda at the time once the bugs were fixed. and DA:Inquisition, but if either came out now they’d rightly be slandered for being bloated messes of open world games, I’d probably hate them. I hope BioWare can still deliver a good ME game but it’s unlikely.

mad to think the original trilogy released over the space of just five years!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Oh man - I remember getting KOTOR at Christmas and having to switch rooms with my little brother so I could stay up and get further in the story. Best gaming memory ever

AaronRedDevil

Swear to god if this ain't a game about Shepards crew scouting the galaxy trying to find him or bring him back in some way. We can't have a game without my boy Shepard.