Gaming Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Now you’re moving the goalposts. You said your decisions had no bearing on the game when they could leave you without some of the best teammates for a good portion of the game in which you made those decisions. How is that not an impact? That makes no sense, because there is actually less impact later as they basically just get replaced.
I said the bulk of your decisions which is true. I'm not moving any goalposts. You gave an example of some decisions that do have an impact in the first game but still have more of an impact on the other 2. Plus, I pointed out that ME2 let's you kill your entire squad, not just 2 of them.

Bebe

It's so interesting to see the way people's opinions split over which of the 3 they like best. Personally playing through ME1 right now is making me weep for all the ways in which it towers over the other two. It's a downer remembering that, as great as ME2 was, the sense of awe and incredible storytelling in this first game was never seen again in the series.

Revan

Assumptionman
I haven't replayed them since launch, but my feeling back then was that ME1 just edged ME2 (actually liked the gameplay of ME1 more cause it was more RPG), with ME3 being comfortably the worst in the series.

Siorac

Better lore? Maybe. Better main plot? Yeah. But that's it
Those are pretty big things though, for an RPG. I'm nearing the end of Mass Effect now and after experiencing the story, I'm not that eager to start ME2 because its main story is basically Pokémon in space. And I'll miss looting and modding my stuff. Also, I will have to worry about ammo... ugh.

I'm sure it will draw me in again once I start playing it and I can't say I'm broken up about losing the Mako and the dozens of identical bunkers/research stations on desolate planets.
What’s everyone’s preference for loot/upgrading gear? There’s a huge difference between ME1's 'shoot and loot' style and ME2's 'upgrade the few weapons/armor you can get' approach. I think I prefer ME2 personally. I found that I preferred AC Valhalla's style of focusing on upgrading the few weapons/armor the game gives you access to, vs Odyssey which gave you endless amounts of stuff to sort though.

The inventory and sorting through it is something I found so painful in ME1.
I much prefer ME1's system - once you know what you're doing, you don't have to spend a lot of time in the inventory, the name of the manufacturer alone will tell you if you want a certain piece of gear or not. Just convert everything you don't need into omni-gel.

I wish they'd improved this system in ME2 instead of scrapping it entirely.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Those are pretty big things though, for an RPG. I'm nearing the end of Mass Effect now and after experiencing the story, I'm not that eager to start ME2 because its main story is basically Pokémon in space. And I'll miss looting and modding my stuff. Also, I will have to worry about ammo... ugh.

I'm sure it will draw me in again once I start playing it and I can't say I'm broken up about losing the Mako and the dozens of identical bunkers/research stations on desolate planets.

I much prefer ME1's system - once you know what you're doing, you don't have to spend a lot of time in the inventory, the name of the manufacturer alone will tell you if you want a certain piece of gear or not. Just convert everything you don't need into omni-gel.

Heh, I actually prefer that they have ammo capacity in ME2. In ME if you have the right gun and mods I can basically just shoot infinitely without having any cooldown!

Look, I agree, the main story in ME2 just is not great at all, no doubt, but I still much prefer it as an RPG to ME1. The cutscenes are miles better, the dialogue and facial expressions are way improved, and the relationship building with your companions is miles and miles ahead of ME1. Plus the companions in general are better (Jack, Thane, Miranda are all great). Oh and the Illusive Man is a much better villain than Saren who was pretty run of the mill.

I think people tend to focus a bit too much on the RPG elements that were taken out, as if it's some massive insult to RPGs, which seems weird to me as most of what they took out was a bit crap anyway and made the game far more streamlined. It's sort of like saying Divinity 2 is a weaker CRPG than much older ones just because it made the turn based combat much more accessible to a modern audience.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
So what is the consensus in here. I initially thought that 1 was okay but I’m not struggling abit and it feels very dated. Am I going to miss out significantly if I skip it and jump straight into 2?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So what is the consensus in here. I initially thought that 1 was okay but I’m not struggling abit and it feels very dated. Am I going to miss out significantly if I skip it and jump straight into 2?
You do miss out on a great story and some fantastic world building. On the other hand part 2 will feel that much better after struggling through the clunky shooting of the 1st one. Perhaps you can just skip the side stuff and rush to the end? I think there are some bonuses if you have a save file that carries over and without the side stuff it isn't a very long game.

Siorac

You do miss out on a great story and some fantastic world building. On the other hand part 2 will feel that much better after struggling through the clunky shooting of the 1st one. Perhaps you can just skip the side stuff and rush to the end? I think there are some bonuses if you have a save file that carries over and without the side stuff it isn't a very long game.
Yeah if you don't want to go for all achievements, Mass Effect is quite short. Planet-hopping in the Mako pad out the game quite a bit.

@TrustInJanuzaj Don't skip it. You will feel that much more invested in the story and the characters. A lot of events in ME2 and 3 lose a bit of their impact if you didn't go through the first game yourself but merely read a re-cap.

Siorac

Look, I agree, the main story in ME2 just is not great at all, no doubt, but I still much prefer it as an RPG to ME1. The cutscenes are miles better, the dialogue and facial expressions are way improved, and the relationship building with your companions is miles and miles ahead of ME1. Plus the companions in general are better (Jack, Thane, Miranda are all great). Oh and the Illusive Man is a much better villain than Saren who was pretty run of the mill.
I will always be more attached to Liara, Tali, and Garrus than to Jack or Thane. For the rest... let's get back to it once I played the second game again so I have fresh memories of it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I will always be more attached to Liara, Tali, and Garrus than to Jack or Thane. For the rest... let's get back to it once I played the second game again so I have fresh memories of it.
Liara is a giant bore and everyone knows it.

Siorac

fecking hell, I can't get the last ME1 trophy because during the very first conversation in the game, I did not 'Investigate' Captain Anderson about the Protheans so I didn't get their primary codex entry. Doing it in NG+ or another character is not good enough, apparently.

Oh well. Once I'm finished with the trilogy, I'll just need to play through Eden Prime once more and get to the Citadel to get all the entries.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
ME2 Omega level is one of my all time faves
Agreed. Stunning to look at. Illium is pretty nice as well in terms of lighting. They set it at a sunset I think. ME2 is stunning throughout.

Shark

@NotShark
Those are pretty big things though, for an RPG. I'm nearing the end of Mass Effect now and after experiencing the story, I'm not that eager to start ME2 because its main story is basically Pokémon in space. And I'll miss looting and modding my stuff.

Agree with this part completely. They could of easily improved it instead of scrapping that feature entirely.

ME2 Omega level is one of my all time faves
It's truly beautiful, don't really remember what the overall Omega atmosphere was like in the original cause it's been a good while but they nailed it here.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I remember thinking the fight outside the Shadow Broker's ship looked incredible and that was 10 years ago on the PS3. Can't wait to see it remastered.

AaronRedDevil

Just nearly finishing ME 2, I’m at this part. “I enjoy seeing humans on there knees”. Love the look on Jokers face :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He “can’t cook a good haggis to save his life.”
—“Yeah, but haggis tastes like ass anyway.”
”Aye, but in the right hands it can taste like mighty fine ass.” :p

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just nearly finishing ME 2, I’m at this part. “I enjoy seeing humans on there knees”. Love the look on Jokers face :lol:
AM I the only one who prefers EDI in ME2, rather than what they do with her in ME3?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I tried to remember why I didn't like Jacob other than him be a boring fecker and then I remembered why. He gives my boy, Thane, shit when he joins the squad. If I wasn't such a perfectionist and had to have everyone survive, Jacob would be Collector chow.

AM I the only one who prefers EDI in ME2, rather than what they do with her in ME3?
I like sexdroid EDI. Wonder if they removed her camel toe.

AaronRedDevil

Ah just finished ME2 and was one trophy away from Platinum. Needed the tactician trophy. You can get the plat in one playthrough. Anyways it was brilliant as usual. Story is a bit weak in this one but the character development was top notch. On to 3

Minkaro

Ah just finished ME2 and was one trophy away from Platinum. Needed the tactician trophy. You can get the plat in one playthrough. Anyways it was brilliant as usual. Story is a bit weak in this one but the character development was top notch. On to 3
That’s the one where you have to combine powers? That one seems really temperamental, requiring very specific timing. Only got it because I focused on doing it, but took way longer than it should.

AaronRedDevil

That’s the one where you have to combine powers? That one seems really temperamental, requiring very specific timing. Only got it because I focused on doing it, but took way longer than it should.
Yeah only started doing it after I finished the game. Was already picking up every trophy on the way. there's no one to use powers on because I did everything. 2nd playthrough I supposed.

Siorac

Horizon as a vanguard on insanity is torture. Why did I do this to myself?
I honestly don't think it's worth playing Mass Effect at higher difficulty levels. The gameplay is adequate, nothing more, and even at Veteran, ME2 enemies are a bit more bullet sponge-y than I'd like.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I honestly don't think it's worth playing Mass Effect at higher difficulty levels. The gameplay is adequate, nothing more, and even at Veteran, ME2 enemies are a bit more bullet sponge-y than I'd like.
Huh…I wouldn’t recommend playing it on anything lower than hardcore. And insanity is the only fair challenge, unless you’re the poor soul above playing Vanguard in 2 which is the highest risk and most demanding role in maybe the whole series and can be overwhelming.

Siorac

Huh…I wouldn’t recommend playing it on anything lower than hardcore. And insanity is the only fair challenge, unless you’re the poor soul above playing Vanguard in 2 which is the highest risk and most demanding role in maybe the whole series and can be overwhelming.
Higher difficulty levels aren't implemented in a particularly creative way in ME: enemies just have a shitton of health so it becomes a boring slog. I hate having to empty my entire weapon into a single enemy. It's the opposite of my idea of fun.

If anything, Insanity difficulty should be like Fallout 4's Survival mode. Both you AND enemies take increased damage so a single shot can be lethal. High risk, high reward.

Also, I'm not on PC this time. Aiming with a controller is challenging enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I picked Soldier as its a class one never gone for before (always had some biotic stuff)... I'm find it, kind of boring at first? Can only assume it'll get bet as I level up.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Higher difficulty levels aren't implemented in a particularly creative way in ME: enemies just have a shitton of health so it becomes a boring slog. I hate having to empty my entire weapon into a single enemy. It's the opposite of my idea of fun.
They aren’t bullet spongey at all, at least in the remaster. You just die immediately and have to use specific tools to take down defenses.
I'm sure that works well for you, but keep in mind 99% of Mass Effect players don't do that and still enjoy it.
99% of players are just playing it for the story then or don’t like third-person shooters.
The only Mass Effect with actually good combat is Andromeda, ironically. Soldier in particular is pretty boring in the other games.
ME3 definitely has good combat, it’s well known to be its main redeeming factor.

nimic

something nice
Scout
There’s hot takes like ME1>ME2, and there’s just being wrong. 99% is an absurd number for such an easy video game.
Everything I've seen from widely popular games like this suggests that the vast majority of people play on normal or lower difficulty settings. Hardcore isn't even the "hard" setting, it's the "very hard" setting. Clearly you're just a gaming god who is finding it hard to relate to the inadequacies of regular gamers.

Edit: here's an example from Hearts of Iron 4 by Paradox. Grand strategy is much more of a niche than third person shooter, so if anything you would expect the smaller, more dedicated audience to lead to more people playing on higher difficulties than most types of games. This isn't even % of people, it's % of total games played, meaning it's skewed in favour of super-dedicated players, who tend to play on higher difficulties.

Last edited:

Bebe

I've been playing ME1 on Veteran after having only played on normal back in the day. I've found its made the combat more enjoyable than I expected, making me explore my abilities and those of squadmates more thoroughly. It does feel a bit bullet spongey already though and I shudder to think what higher difficulties would be like in that regard.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Everything I've seen from widely popular games like this suggests that the vast majority of people play on normal or lower difficulty settings. Hardcore isn't even the "hard" setting, it's the "very hard" setting. Clearly you're just a gaming god who is finding it hard to relate to the inadequacies of regular gamers.

Edit: here's an example from Hearts of Iron 4 by Paradox. Grand strategy is much more of a niche than third person shooter, so if anything you would expect the smaller, more dedicated audience to lead to more people playing on higher difficulties than most types of games. This isn't even % of people, it's % of total games played, meaning it's skewed in favour of super-dedicated players, who tend to play on higher difficulties.

:lol: I’m no gaming god: I’m the worst of the off-forum RedCaf team if anything. And I wasn’t trying to gatekeep with my previous statement, which was tongue in cheek. I just found your previous remark dismissive, as though I was aggrandizing myself by recommending a harder difficulty. I honestly think people would have more fun with these games in particular if they push their limits a bit.