Gaming Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

Bojan11

He has corrected the article. It’s a remaster not a remake before people get more excited. Not that I would be because I wouldn’t trust current BioWare with a remake.

Would be great to play the first two classics all over again.

AaronRedDevil

Been waiting for a ME collection for years. Finally! Though this basically kills any future ME games, unless they bring back Shepherd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah yes, it'll be great to play a modern version of that really old game series that I haven't seen since... Eight years ago. I can't wait to play through it all again knowing that I'll be bitterly disappointed with the final hour of it all. That's the best part; the crushing reminder every five minutes that this is being done purely because they fecked Andromeda up and want to build the hype back up for whatever new entry comes after it. I'll enjoy saving the Geth and Quarians, and proving that organics and synthetics can coexist, before being told by a random asshole that organics and synthetics can't coexist. It'll really hit the point home that those choices have the same effect as a Walking Dead game where "Kenny will remember that".

....who am I kidding. I'm going to fecking but it anyway.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m currently playing through Andromeda and have been itching to play the original trilogy.

Hope they don’t make a mess of it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looking back, they made such a mistake with the tone of ME3. The player is constantly told Earth is being ravaged, millions are dying daily but side quests include fetch quests for artifacts and pissing about on The Citadel.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Mining the planets sucked balls. Was that the 1st one? But iirc, my order of favorites went in chronological order 1-3.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mining the planets sucked balls. Was that the 1st one? But iirc, my order of favorites went in chronological order 1-3.
1 was patrolling planets with crazy mako physics and the same cave or installation to explore each time. There were some minerals to find, so I’m not sure if you meant that or the awful planet scanning that came later.

I know it gets a lot of hate, but I’m Pro-Mako.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
1 was patrolling planets with crazy mako physics and the same cave or installation to explore each time. There were some minerals to find, so I’m not sure if you meant that or the awful planet scanning that came later.

I know it gets a lot of hate, but I’m Pro-Mako.
Yah the fecking planet scanning, hated doing that. Loved everything else about the game though.

Ainu

Scanning planets was in ME2. Maybe 3 as well? Just can't seem to remember much about that game. ME1 was where you actually got to drive the Mako around on planets.

I'd love this to be honest. I played the first two games several times back in the day, never replayed the third. I've wanted to replay the entire thing for a long time now, this would be the perfect excuse. Yeah the ending sucks but the journey was still great.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I replayed them all maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the first was a real slog. It's aged so badly. I mean the story is still great (best of the three) but the graphics are so grainy, the combat sucks and the planet exploring was a big mess. So a remaster of that definitely makes sense

I'm not even sure 2 and 3 need remasters, though, the combat still holds up well and you can run them at 2k or 4k on PC anyway, I guess for next gen console and switch owners? It would be fecking great to have them on Switch, should they decide to.

b82REZ

Looking back, they made such a mistake with the tone of ME3. The player is constantly told Earth is being ravaged, millions are dying daily but side quests include fetch quests for artifacts and pissing about on The Citadel.
This absolutely killed it for me and I never finished three.

Mass Effect 2 was one of the few games I felt I was actually role playing as a space adventurer to save the universe. That agency was taken away from us the third installment and it ruined the whole game.

evil_geko

I thought I was the only one who liked Mass Effect 1 the most. I also love the Mako parts which is universally hated I guess. So yeah, first Mass Effect will always be my favorite by far.

This is my favorite game series of all time. Played countless times through first three games (mostly first two). I am still scared to play Andromeda, just can't get myself to play that thing.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I replayed them all maybe 4 or 5 years ago and the first was a real slog. It's aged so badly. I mean the story is still great (best of the three) but the graphics are so grainy, the combat sucks and the planet exploring was a big mess. So a remaster of that definitely makes sense

I'm not even sure 2 and 3 need remasters, though, the combat still holds up well and you can run them at 2k or 4k on PC anyway, I guess for next gen console and switch owners? It would be fecking great to have them on Switch, should they decide to.
Yeah, I played through them all last year and I didn't realise how bad all of the side quests were in the game. For the time they were enjoyable but I think releases of games like The Witcher have really hampered by views of a lot of games and their additional content. A graphic update, improvements to the side quests (The base model they had for them was good, they were just really basic) and I would be relatively happy.

Ainu

I thought I was the only one who liked Mass Effect 1 the most. I also love the Mako parts which is universally hated I guess. So yeah, first Mass Effect will always be my favorite by far.

This is my favorite game series of all time. Played countless times through first three games (mostly first two). I am still scared to play Andromeda, just can't get myself to play that thing.
It's still very close between ME1 and 2 for me. In general I enjoyed ME1 more but the companion missions in ME2 were great. ME1 really needs a thourough overhaul of its inventory management system, probably the weakest part of the game.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This absolutely killed it for me and I never finished three.

Mass Effect 2 was one of the few games I felt I was actually role playing as a space adventurer to save the universe. That agency was taken away from us the third installment and it ruined the whole game.
Yeah ME2 is the best in the series. I replayed that several times whilst ignoring 1 & 3 for the most part.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I just love the whole setting. I think the races and the interactions with each other is my favourite setting of all time.

Art Vandelay

I'd need confirmation they are fixing the ending before I'd even consider it, even then I'd need them to specifically detail the new ending and decide from there. The first two were two of my favourite games of all time, until the third game decided nothing actually mattered and it was all just a big waste of time. We're killing you to stop you killing yourselves...fecking hell.

The mind still boggles how they thought that ending was a good idea. I still remember the claims that Mac "shit writer" Walters and Casey "it won't be an ABC ending" Hudson locked the other writers out of writing the ending and wouldn't let them peer review it or even read it. I think it was Patrick Weekes that said that in the aftermath of it all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wonder if they'll redo the combat of ME1... Might be a bit jarring playing it now.

Coxy

I wonder if they'll redo the combat of ME1... Might be a bit jarring playing it now.
depends if it is a remake or a remaster.

Been praying for this ever since the developer hinted at it on neogaf.

Desperate for this!

hubbuh

Andromeda is only a 5er on eBay for xbox one! Surely worth a pop for that?!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'd need confirmation they are fixing the ending before I'd even consider it, even then I'd need them to specifically detail the new ending and decide from there. The first two were two of my favourite games of all time, until the third game decided nothing actually mattered and it was all just a big waste of time. We're killing you to stop you killing yourselves...fecking hell.

The mind still boggles how they thought that ending was a good idea. I still remember the claims that Mac "shit writer" Walters and Casey "it won't be an ABC ending" Hudson locked the other writers out of writing the ending and wouldn't let them peer review it or even read it. I think it was Patrick Weekes that said that in the aftermath of it all.
It sucks but I find it hard to blame them for rushing the ending in isolation from the rest of the team when EA turned around and cut their already short development time, for whatever arbitrary reason it was at the time.

I'd love it if they did rework the ending this time around but it's EA at the end of the day and it'll probably just be a cash grab from some backup team who are just replacing textures. Hope I'm wrong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes please! God I loved the ME trilogy.

Never played Andromeda though, should I?

Art Vandelay

It sucks but I find it hard to blame them for rushing the ending in isolation from the rest of the team when EA turned around and cut their already short development time, for whatever arbitrary reason it was at the time.

I'd love it if they did rework the ending this time around but it's EA at the end of the day and it'll probably just be a cash grab from some backup team who are just replacing textures. Hope I'm wrong.
Surely there's money to be made in fixing the ending though. It's a chance to fix one of gamings biggest bed shitting moments. EA though so feck knows.

AaronRedDevil

Nah. Your not missing much. The cast is ok but not even close to the original. And the character you play isn't really interesting. Choices didnt matter either.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Surely there's money to be made in fixing the ending though. It's a chance to fix one of gamings biggest bed shitting moments. EA though so feck knows.
There’s no chance they’re fixing the ending. The best you can hope for is the extended ending being included along with the fan-service Citadel DLC. And maybe the ability to combat roll in ME1, but even there I’m not holding my hopes up.

Last edited:

SirAnderson

Hope they do it well, would love to play all 3 even though 1 and 3 were my favorite. 3 just about edges it for its beginning and end.
That fall of earth intro...just pure goosebumps. Really fully immersed me in the game and the fight against the Reapers.
These guys really knew how to make a game!

Headphones advised! :drool:

Tiber

the last 5 mins sucked, but aside from that ME3 was the most enjoyable experience I have ever had with a video game. I played the entire game in two sittings. I even like the DLC which is nothing other than the crew having a party.

I have replayed the entire series a couple of times over the last few years, ME1 has aged horribly outside of the story, but 2 and 3 are still great

Tiber

Hope they do it well, would love to play all 3 even though 1 and 3 were my favorite. 3 just about edges it for its beginning and end.
That fall of earth intro...just pure goosebumps. Really fully immersed me in the game and the fight against the Reapers.
These guys really knew how to make a game!

Headphones advised! :drool:
That was an incredible trailer

SirAnderson

Nah, its like trying to make another season of Breaking Bad, or The Wire. Don't mess with perfection.
The trilogy was perfect for me. Andromeda just felt like a way to make more money for the franchise cause they knew die hard fans would cream to play it again, but sadly it didn't match up for me.

Art Vandelay

There’s no chance they’re fixing the ending. The best you can hope for is the extended ending being included along with the fan-service Citadel DLC. And maybe the ability to combat roll in ME1, but even there I’m no holding my hopes up.
I know, but they finally have the opportunity. Most likely the only change will be them somehow shoehorning multiplayer into the first game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nah. Your not missing much. The cast is ok but not even close to the original. And the character you play isn't really interesting. Choices didnt matter either.
Nah, its like trying to make another season of Breaking Bad, or The Wire. Don't mess with perfection.
The trilogy was perfect for me. Andromeda just felt like a way to make more money for the franchise cause they knew die hard fans would cream to play it again, but sadly it didn't match up for me.
Yeah that's what I read around the launch too. Nevermind that then.