Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

ash_86

Quite sure he didn't win his titles with 2 different clubs and bring lesser teams into Serie A prominence without having a distinct playing style.
Well nobody seems to know what it is in this thread atleast. Did Juventus have pattern of play? I'm asking because i can see the same set of questions being asked a year after Allegri takes over us.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well nobody seems to know what it is in this thread atleast. Did Juventus have pattern of play? I'm asking because i can see the same set of questions being asked a year after Allegri takes over us.
They did have a pattern of play. It's difficult to reach the final of the champions league twice without one.

ash_86

They did have a pattern of play. It's difficult to reach the final of the champions league twice without one.
Great. This annoying question wouldn't arise next time then.

Red_toad

Did not have the best squad? Did it not win the league before Jose's disastrous final season? We could say that Conte's first season was a new manager bounce after getting rid of the toxic one, and he got Hazard firing again. And I dont believe Barca hired any other British managers since Robson managed them.
I believe translators did the same jobs in the 80’s as they do right now. Also players needed managing and motivating just the same. Having a manager who’s learning a language isn’t a massive barrier and people are giving examples, which for whatever reason you’re dismissing as it happened too long ago. Robson was a wonderful coach and man manager, I’m sure he had a skilled translator while he picked up the lingo and he was very very highly regarded at Barca.
As Allegri is currently learning English, he’ll obviously have a base to start from. I believe the language argument isn’t a valid reason to dismiss a managerial appointment.

Red_toad

4231 could possibly be seen as his preferred option. But he changes to suit his players preferences and strengths.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Now I am reading rumours about how Allegri wants to sign Emre Can if he takes the United job.

mu4c_20le

I believe translators did the same jobs in the 80’s as they do right now. Also players needed managing and motivating just the same. Having a manager who’s learning a language isn’t a massive barrier and people are giving examples, which for whatever reason you’re dismissing as it happened too long ago. Robson was a wonderful coach and man manager, I’m sure he had a skilled translator while he picked up the lingo and he was very very highly regarded at Barca.
As Allegri is currently learning English, he’ll obviously have a base to start from. I believe the language argument isn’t a valid reason to dismiss a managerial appointment.
Allegri is no Robson, is what i'm getting at. Also the guy has never managed outside of Italy, are we really the right environment for someone to acclimatize to the culture and the league, while rebuilding the mess left behind by the previous managers?

ColvaleGoa

This would be such a poor decision from the club, yet another direction /style.

Pick a direction and stick to it. If Ole isn't up for the job, double down and find a replacement who shares his vision.

Zero consistency and not committing to a philosophy is hurting us
This is a good point. This season is down the drain anyways. The Board needs to find out what our philosophy is and stick to it . Find someone who can deliver that , not just which big name is available . If Ole goes than I would like Poch(Not Happening though)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if others will disagree but for me he is a mix between Deschamps and Ancelotti, his teams control the pace of the game(it can be extremely slow but also extremely fast), he likes a mix of technical players supported by workhorses, he loves his workhorses. The attack is generally narrow with wide fullbacks or even wingbacks. Now the issue is that he does what he has to do, he always think about nullifying the opposition, so anyone that is looking for a Pep like approach will be disappointed.

I'm trying to remember his last ten years, so I could be wrong. @devilish @::sonny::

Chipper

Adulterer.
The second part sounds lot like Jose which worries me.
Does it? I think it sounds quite good either way.

Better to have someone who will come in and assess the squad, think about how they might achieve the best results in each game rather than someone with just one plan. The one plan guy with his lack of adaptability will either have to force square pegs into round holes or be given a lot of money to buy the players he needs to fit his system.

If you're capable of being successful while being adaptable you're doing something very right imo. That's not to be mistaken with someone flip-flopping all over the place and constantly changing tactics because nothing is really working and they don't know what they're doing of course.

hn4manunited

Allegri may not be the right manager for us long term but any pragmatic manager will help steady the ship a little. We’re sinking and sinking hard.

I would personally look for a caretaker manager who is pragmatic enough to get us somewhat stable and move us up the table. Slow the bleed to get us to a good point in time to appoint someone suitable for the job.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I can only go by what i saw when Juve played us at Old Trafford in the CL. They controlled the game. I remember it well because i was impressed.

Cannot remember did they repeat that performance in Turin because all i remember is us scoring from a free kick and then another free kick near the end that smalling put in i think. Ronaldo scored a gem if i remember correctly.

ash_86

I don't know if others will disagree but for me he is a mix between Deschamps and Ancelotti, his teams control the pace of the game(it can be extremely slow but also extremely fast), he likes a mix of technical players supported by workhorses, he loves his workhorses. The attack is generally narrow with wide fullbacks or even wingbacks. Now the issue is that he does what he has to do, he always think about nullifying the opposition, so anyone that is looking for a Pep like approach will be disappointed.

I'm trying to remember his last ten years, so I could be wrong. @devilish @::sonny::
That's what i was also thinking about. That is classic Jose 2.0. Few bad results and the caf will be screaming to get him out for not going on the front foot and instead look to neutralize the opponent.

ash_86

Does it? I think it sounds quite good either way.

Better to have someone who will come in and assess the squad, think about how they might achieve the best results in each game rather than someone with just one plan. The one plan guy with his lack of adaptability will either have to force square pegs into round holes or be given a lot of money to buy the players he needs to fit his system.

If you're capable of being successful while being adaptable you're doing something very right imo. That's not to be mistaken with someone flip-flopping all over the place and constantly changing tactics because nothing is really working and they don't know what they're doing of course.
I don't mind it actually. I even supported Jose until he went gungho blaming our squad. But i can see many of people here be very disappointed especially after watching City and Liverpool take the game on the scruff of the neck and change it while we sit back and neutralize the opponents. I think that is what we will get with Allagri. Good results but sour on the eyes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's what i was also thinking about. That is classic Jose 2.0. Few bad results and the caf will be screaming to get him out for not going on the front foot and instead look to neutralize the opponent.
I know that he would frustrate me if he was managing United, the same way I have been frustrated by the likes of Deschamps and Ancelotti. Now, when these managers actually understand their team and have a good connection with their players, they can dominate anyone, something that Guardiola can't do and his demonstrated in Champions League. At their best these italian managers, and I put Mourinho in that category, can drag you to their level, if they have the better team you are most likely done. And they can play great expensive football too but they need to trust their players which isn't easy since in Italy players are tested tactically on a weekly basis with drills like shadow play.

mu4c_20le

I can only go by what i saw when Juve played us at Old Trafford in the CL. They controlled the game. I remember it well because i was impressed.

Cannot remember did they repeat that performance in Turin because all i remember is us scoring from a free kick and then another free kick near the end that smalling put in i think. Ronaldo scored a gem if i remember correctly.
They dominated us at OT against a defense with Smalling and Young, and scored one goal. In the away match the juve fans blasted him for his game management and cowardice by trying to defend a 1-0 lead at home, a consistent criticism throughout his years at Juventus despite a respectable trophy haul and reaching two cl finals. They were very happy to see the back of him, although part of that could be that they have higher standards than us. I suppose we could do alot worse if we just need to steady the ship, but I don't see him as a long term solution, if it even works out at all.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't mind it actually. I even supported Jose until he went gungho blaming our squad. But i can see many of people here be very disappointed especially after watching City and Liverpool take the game on the scruff of the neck and change it while we sit back and neutralize the opponents. I think that is what we will get with Allagri. Good results but sour on the eyes.
I fall very much into the category of fan who would be dissatisfied with that. Not only am I sick of watching City and Liverpool win trophies, I'm sick of watching them do so while playing exciting, pro-active football. "Pragmatic" managers offer no guarantee of better results in the long run anyway, so we might as well aim for the best possible long-term outcome. Which is us getting results while also playing good football. I don't see any reason to settle for the less than that when doing so provides no long term benefit.

Maybe someone of that ilk would provide better results in the short term but, really, feck the short term. This season is dead to me anyway. We're into the seventh year of our collapse as a club and I'm a hell of a lot more concerned about where we'll be in five years than whether we scrape top four this year. Solskjaer was never the answer but that doesn't mean that short-termism is.

Pscholes18

I fall very much into the category of fan who would be dissatisfied with that. Not only am I sick of watching City and Liverpool win trophies, I'm sick of watching them do so while playing exciting, pro-active football. "Pragmatic" managers offer no guarantee of better results in the long run anyway, so we might as well aim for the best possible long-term outcome. Which is us getting results while also playing good football. I don't see any reason to settle for the less than that when doing so provides no long term benefit.

Maybe someone of that ilk would provide better results in the short term but, really, feck the short term. This season is dead to me anyway. We're into the seventh year of our collapse as a club and I'm a hell of a lot more concerned about where we'll be in five years than whether we scrape top four this year. Solskjaer was never the answer but that doesn't mean that short-termism is.

This. United need a Klopp type....fun exciting football while winning.

Jibbs

If we want to steady the ship instantly and bring us back to top 4 this year on next, Allegri is the man, but if we want to return to United ways and build a team which can accomplish sustainable success following United's traditional blueprint, then I can't think beyond Pochettino and Nagelsmann, you may say they haven't had success or haven't being tried at the highest level, but the way they play, the way the setup their sides and innovation that they bring to their sides convinces me that they are the perfect candidates for United job long-term. Ole I am afraid to say is not a very good tactician and manager. We can't achieve much with just his passion and love for the club.

::sonny::

Tactical manager, he uses the 352, 433
He is a motivator, he can be considered similar to Conte and Mourinho

With this current United side he would play

De Gea

Lindelof Maguire Tuanzebe

Lingard McTominay Matic Pogba Young

Rashford Martial​

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

De Gea

Rashford Martial​
He'd leave Wan Bissaka out?
And play Lingard as a right wing back, a position I think he's played for about 20mins before, in Van Gaal's first or second game?
And ask a 33/34 Young to play left wing back!?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There's not a shadow of a doubt that he's a far better manager than Ole is.

However in saying that......he's a pragmatic manager who is far more like Jose than most mangers are and he doesn't exactly fit the bill for the direction we are supposed to be heading in.

It would certainly be a huge upgrade on Ole but at the same time send out a confusing message.

Bottom line is we can't afford to not be around the top 6 of the league and all this United DNA stuff will be pushed to one side. Results are what matters most.

::sonny::

He'd leave Wan Bissaka out?
And play Lingard as a right wing back, a position I think he's played for about 20mins before, in Van Gaal's first or second game?
And ask a 33/34 Young to play left wing back!?
It was an example, you can swap young with Shaw, Lingard with AWB

Surely players like James, Pereira would play much less under him

Xaviboy

Watch Juventus documentary on netflix. You can clearly see he demands alot on the training ground from the players. Some parts of documentary you see he works hard on tactical training coming up to different games. He takes no shit from the media as well in it with way he conducts himself in press conferences. Think he will steady ship and he will be flexible tactically in our games to try and win them may not be pretty in some games but if he tactically outclasses managers and wins games then at this point we can't complain.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

De Gea

Rashford Martial​
I think that team is way too defensive. I don't believe that would be realistic. Where are the goals coming from?

I remember Allegri playing some wonderful football at Juve when he had the chance. He's not set to any formation is he? I've seen Juve use 3 at the back, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 & diamond under him.

Under our current squad, I could see us using a 4-3-3, that gives us many options to be tactically flexible during the match. I think he would love AWB, Shaw & James. Fred would feature much more i suspect too.

Something like this:
De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

McTominay
Fred -------------- Pogba

James ------------------------------- Rashford
Martial
Turning into this maybe:
De Gea

AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw

James - Fred - McTominay - Pogba

Martial - Rashford​

I think we would look good under him to be honest.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am not that optimistic about him being the next man utd manager when both Conte and Sarri failed in the EPL and both of them are great managers. Allegri just like Conte and Sarri has no experience outside of Serie A.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Conte won the league. How exactly did he fail?
Allegri is an excellent manager, but my concern would be that whoever comes in, if the club lacks the proper ambition, then we’d continue sinking.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I am not that optimistic about him being the next man utd manager when both Conte and Sarri failed in the EPL and both of them are great managers. Allegri just like Conte and Sarri has no experience outside of Serie A.
I don't want Allegri but......

Conte was in the PL for two seasons, finishing first one year and fifth in the other. Sign me up for that sort of failure.

mu4c_20le

Conte was in the PL for two seasons, finishing first one year and fifth in the other. Sign me up for that sort of failure.
Chelsea were a top 3 team when he took over. Our equivalent would be finishing 3rd or 4th, then 8th the next year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

De Gea

Rashford Martial​
He's not similar to Jose and Conte personality wise, he is fairly mellow and allows players to express themselves quite a lot. He'd benefit a lot from vocal leaders in the dressing room who do the talking and setting the standard.

Maguire and Pogba could thrive under him if they take leadership seriously.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

What i refered to failure is about his fallout with Chelsea. Conte needs full control just like Mourinho. I shouldn't have said "failed in EPL".

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Opinion very split in here. Seems like only a matter of time though, wonder whether the board prefer him or Poch.

TrustInOle

Has he actually said something or is this all just speculation? United get used alot for publicity so wouldn't surprise me, just curious?

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal