Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

BlahRules

Allegri would do well in the EPL but his issue is the cup matches- he has failed numerous time at the champions league due to his pragmatic approach.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Allegri would do well in the EPL but his issue is the cup matches- he has failed numerous time at the champions league due to his pragmatic approach.
Reached 2 finals, which youl struggle to beat in the open market when we replace Ole.

redshaw

I remember Spurs going to Allegri's Juve a couple of years back and dominated the game in Turin. Was embarrassing for the home team, long periods Juve just couldn't get out of their own half, home fans whistling while Spurs just out passed and pressed them and were camped in their half.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I remember Spurs going to Allegri's Juve a couple of years back and dominated the game in Turin. Was embarrassing for the home team, long periods Juve just couldn't get out of their own half, home fans whistling while Spurs just out passed and pressed them and were camped in their half.
Yeah, one of his worse performances. Interestingly Juve had an early chance to get a goal and it could have been a different tie.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Saw the likes of Fiorentina do the same to them too. He'd be a pretty uninspiring pick if/when we change manager really. He'd steady the ship no doubt this season but beyond that, i think we can all agree that we want more than pragmatic football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Of all the 4 years, you come up with one of his worst games , that too a CL match. CL games are always a lottery.If Napoli had finished that chance in the last minute , there would have been another CL winner last year. Moments define the outcome in Europe.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
For me it's rather amusing how we're focusing on acquiring British players and then there's talk of us hiring a manager who cannot speak English properly.

Anyway, I'm not sure how true the Allegri rumours are in the first place to be honest. We'll see I guess...

::sonny::

His classic lineup

scnzny

barzagli bonucci chiellini

cuadrado khedira pjanic matoudi alex sandro

ronaldo mandzukic​

::sonny::

End result?
Spurs out after 180 mins

KC91

The other side of that coin is the brilliant changes he made in the 2nd half of leg two that helped Juve turn that whole tie on its head.

Interval

Level
If true, this smacks of another band aid solution in the long line of moronic decisions by the powers to be. First, get fooled by near term momentum, then look for a band aid to fix the problem in the near term. Rinse, repeat.

Either take a long term approach or seek immediate results with strong backing. Cant have both. Especially not in 1 season

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't know if others will disagree but for me he is a mix between Deschamps and Ancelotti, his teams control the pace of the game(it can be extremely slow but also extremely fast), he likes a mix of technical players supported by workhorses, he loves his workhorses. The attack is generally narrow with wide fullbacks or even wingbacks. Now the issue is that he does what he has to do, he always think about nullifying the opposition, so anyone that is looking for a Pep like approach will be disappointed.

I'm trying to remember his last ten years, so I could be wrong. @devilish @::sonny::
Its difficult to say what Allegri teams do as he changes tactics all the time. He himself said that he builds teams bottom up ie he analyse his players and he then build his tactics according to that. There isn't a tactic that Allegri hasn't used at Juventus from Conte's 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 (narrow and wide). In general I agree with what you said although one must ask were Allegri's ideology ended and Paratici/Marotta started. After all the latter brought the players and as said Allegri builds sides according to the players he's got.

Last edited:

Marcus

What we need is a leader. Ole's personality is more akin to some of our past assistant managers. The nice guy, rather than the demanding task-master. Some of our past assistant managers who failed at being the numero uno include, Queiroz, McClaren, Kidd, Phelan. This is because they no longer had a Sir Alex to keep the team in check.

SweetRightFoot

His classic lineup

scnzny

ronaldo mandzukic​
De Gea

Anyone Maguire Lindelof

AWB Mctom Pogba Anyone Shaw

Rashford Martial​

Ship out Rojo, Bailly, Jones & Smalling to bring in a defender who doesn't have a double digit IQ and with Tuanzebe as back up

Buy literally any midfielder who isn't garbage (Ndombele would have been great, important to note the only average-or-better mid we've brought since Fergie was Herrera, let that sink in. Fellaini, Matic, BFS, Fred... jesus christ) to slot in the midfield. Doesn't have to be a world beater, just someone who can run, tackle AND pass (me and my high standards, I know) with a proper head on their shoulders.

I think that team would do pretty well.

Caesar2290

Are you talking about that 2-2 game?
Hardly impressive considering they failed to win.
Also Juve bounced back in the return leg and dumped Tottenham while securing a 2-1 away win.
From what I remember they did something similar to Real, but were knocked out by “that” Ronaldo penalty.
Pretty impressive for a coward and a defensive coach.

ILC

His classic lineup

scnzny

ronaldo mandzukic​
He never once used that lineup last season, players or formation. He doesn't really like 3 at the back. Even when Juve fans were calling for it in some moments he stuck with 4 at the back.

With current team, no signings, my guess is he would play either 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2:

DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
McTominay-Matić-Pogba
James-Martial-Rashford​

or Mata behind Martial and Rashford.

Its difficult to say what Allegri teams do as he changes tactics all the time. He himself said that he builds teams bottom up ie he analyse his players and he then build his tactics according to that. There isn't a tactic that Allegri hasn't used at Juventus from Conte's 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 (narrow and wide). In general I agree with what you said although one must ask were Allegri's ideology ended and Paratici/Marotta started. After all the latter brought the players and as said Allegri builds sides according to the players he's got.
If you want to read more about Allegri, there was an excellent interview yesterday at a conference in Poland with him. It's in Polish, but very easy to understand through Google Translate.

I posted it in another thread yesterday but it got lost 2-3 pages back while waiting for mod approval.

Here it is:
Reports from Italy saying Allegri's already in serious negotiations with Woodward and has 7.5m€ net on the table to become the next manager. Not the most reliable source (Tuttosport), but they've been first on Ronaldo to Juve story and in general there's too much smoke in this Allegri-United thing.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-now-close-manchester-united-concrete-negotiation-taking-place/

Also this: http://sportwitness.co.uk/manager-j...e-continues-to-be-linked-with-man-united-job/

He was asked yesterday in Poland at a conference about United rumors. He just joked about his English level. Not exactly a denial.

This is the original link to everything he said during the AEFC in Warszawa yesterday: https://www.przegladsportowy.pl/pil...jciechu-szczesnym-or-reportaz-tomasza/3nywt24

Put it in google translate, it's very easy to understand. Allegri goes into amazing detail on his philosophy, mental approach, how he coaches etc. Excellent read.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
4231 could possibly be seen as his preferred option. But he changes to suit his players preferences and strengths.
As a Milan fan I'd say his preferred option is 4312.
That was his formation in Cagliari. That was also his main formation in Milan until the final season when Ibra and the support strikers left. He only dropped it after multiple failed attempts with Pazzini and El Shaarawy.

He introduced the 4312 also to Juventus, although he also decided to go with Conte's 352 at times.
The 4231 only became their main formation in the last half of his 3rd season when he needed to include all 3 of Mandzukic, Higuain and Dybala somehow.

Allegri's teams have different shapes, but what they all have in common is the emphasis on defensive balance and positional fluidity at the front. He likes his forwards to go wide or drop deep and let the midfielders run into their space.

Reactions: Penna

devilish

He never once used that lineup last season, players or formation. He doesn't really like 3 at the back. Even when Juve fans were calling for it in some moments he stuck with 4 at the back.

With current team, no signings, my guess is he would play either 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2:

DDG
AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
McTominay-Matić-Pogba
James-Martial-Rashford​

or Mata behind Martial and Rashford.

If you want to read more about Allegri, there was an excellent interview yesterday at a conference in Poland with him. It's in Polish, but very easy to understand through Google Translate.

I posted it in another thread yesterday but it got lost 2-3 pages back while waiting for mod approval.

Here it is:
Thanks. However I've been following Allegri since his time at Milan. What irks people is specifically why big clubs love him. Allegri is a scavenger who adapts tactics to the players he's got, whose not afraid to change system and play players out of position when its suits him and who don't give a feck about what fans say and instead focus on the results. That pisses of the fans who wants a well defined way of playing football that they can relate to, who sees his versatility as indecision and who want to see their team hammering opposition even if that translates in less points

If you ask me Allegri will use plenty of formations while with us from this formation

-----------------------DDG-----------------------
AWB-----------Lindelof-----Maguire--------Shaw

----------------------Mctominay----------------------

------------------Fred----------Pogba-----------------

Jesse/James-------------------------------------------Rashford/Martial

-------------------------Martial/Martial----------------------------

Allegri loves movement and workrate in CM. He also love a hardworking inside forward (Mandzukic/Teves) alongside a more creative winger (Costa for example)

However he could easily go to this formation

-------------------------DDG------------------------

-------------AWB--------Lindelof--------Maguire------------

Dalot------Mctominay-----Fred------Pogba--------James

---------------Martial--------Rashford

or even a narrow 4-4-2

-----------------DDG--------------

AWB-----Lindelof-------Maguire---------Shaw

-------------------Periera----------------

------------Fred-------------Pogba--------------

-------------------Jesse/James-----------------------

--------------Martial--------Rashford------------

or a narrow 4-2-3-1

-------------DDG-------------------------

AWB-----Lindelof-----Maguire--------Shaw

----------Fred-------McT---------------------------

----Jesse---------------------James/Martial----

---------------Pogba------------------------

--------------Martial/Rashford-----------------------------

His first transfer will probably be a powerful striker upfront. He always had those whether its Ibra, Higuian, Mandzukic, Ronaldo etc. Its important to have a forward whose able to attract attention so he can create space for the inside forwards (one is usually a converted striker whether its Tevez, Dybala or Mandzukic) to go in the box and score goals.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Mourinho will be laughing his nuts off if we bring in a similar manager to him.
So much for changing direction.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If we were to hire him I'd seriously wonder what this club has against good football.

ROFLUTION

There's absolutely no reason to bring in another Mourinho type of manager. Don't think we will neither - If we do, it reeks of no-direction long term and no understanding of our legacy as an attacking/entertaining club.

Crashoutcassius

No reason to panic and step backwards. There are plenty of attacking managers out there that would love the chance to come.

I'd be okay with a deal until season end, pay him over the odds and put a very fat bonus on cl qualification. Like 10m if he wants. And line up somebody else

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I mean, he's objectively better than Ole and he's not insane like Jose and LvG. Might as well sign him up.
And he's also proven to be a complete idiot at times especially if his team isn't good
Some of the stuff he was doing at Milan in his last season :houllier:
https://acmilan.theoffside.com/2015/11/21/9753256/looking-back-allegri-at-milan

In Allegri's fourth season, the team was in utter shambles. The return of prodigal son Kaka couldn't save Milan. With El Shaarawy injured for most of the year and Balotelli unable to repeat his heroics from last season, Milan struggled mightily, and an embarrassing home loss to Sassuolo led to Allegri getting the sack.

Just like in Serie A, Allegri's results in the Champions League throughout his tenure were a mixed bag. Memorable victories like those against Arsenal and Barcelona were followed up by shambolic return legs. There was the puzzling decision to play Thiago Silva, fresh off an injury, in Serie A with a knockout game against Barcelona on the horizon. Thiago Silva re-injured himself against Roma, and missed an important fixture against Barcelona.

Allegri also made some crazy player usage decisions, like playing Urby Emanuelson, capped by the Dutch national team at left back, as a trequartista, or playing box-to-box midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng on the wing, or converting mediocre midfielder Kevin Constant into a shambolic left back. The list goes on and on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

AlwaysRed66

Allegri would be dead man walking if appointed. tumescent defence ridden football, coupled with no challenge for league would ensure fans would soon turn on him. We have been bored to death for last seven years, so wont want it continuing. I can just see the shouts of he needs 3-4 transfer periods & another couple of years to achieve top four, from his supporters. No thanks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I get that he’s an experienced coach and would probably get some kind of reaction from the players but that Italian style of play is not suited to the PL. generally speaking, the teams who score the most goals are the most successful. We dont need another Jose. We need a Pep/Shiny teeth type

GifLord

You can take bizzare decisions from most top managers to be fair. There are many more examples of Allegri getting the best out of his players than the ones where he fell flat in experimenting.
You can go through all the top managers in history and pick out stupid mistakes.
Look at our team. He'd need to been majorly backed like 200-300mil to even compete for top 4 or we'd be having the same discussion as we have now with Ole. There's no squad depth and we have players that shouldn't be anywhere near a team that's supposed to be in for the top 4 spots.

Looking at that squad we maybe have 3-4 players that are 1st team quality while the rest are backup suited - wouldn't even have them as a squad rotation option.

devilish

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Look at our team. He'd need to been majorly backed like 200-300mil to even compete for top 4 or we'd be having the same discussion as we have now with Ole. There's no squad depth and we have players that shouldn't be anywhere near a team that's supposed to be in for the top 4 spots.

Looking at that squad we maybe have 3-4 players that are 1st team quality while the rest are backup suited - wouldn't even have them as a squad rotation option.
I hate taking numbers in and saying "x amount is required" because I think average players can do a lot more from proper coaching. Truth is, I don't know how bad Matic or Fred REALLY are because they aren't coached. Maybe Matic is better with runners around him in a 5 man midfield. Maybe Fred is great when he's given clear instructions to be
a ball winning midfielder. Who knows? Allegri can potentially make the team far more functional. If we believe the smoke from the shitty sources, he was linked to bring in Can and Mandzukic who are upgrades, like it or not, and would be next to free transfers.

Then you can start looking at the 200-300million, which I think Allegri would allocate far better than Ole.

Allegri also has pedigree of dragging average sides with little depth to multiple positions up the table. He did it pre AC Milan.

GifLord

I hate taking numbers in and saying "x amount is required" because I think average players can do a lot more from proper coaching. Allegri can potentially make the team far more functional. If we believe the smoke from the shitty sources, he was linked to bring in Can and Mandzukic who are upgrades, like it or not, and would be next to free transfers.

Then you can start looking at the 200-300million, which I think Allegri would allocate far better than Ole.
I've heard the same things about Mourinho. He will fail if he doesn't get backed just like he did at Milan when Ibra and Thiago left the club and they had no money for proper replacements.

TBF Allegri was the last manager at AC Milan to win the league and the first name AC Milan wanted to replace Pioli. After 2011 they literally dismantled his team but still expected him to do well.
When he won the league with Milan

Inter were absolute shambles with Benitez
Juve were still horrible
Roma had one of the worst seasons in the past 20 years
Napoli were just starting out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've heard the same things about Mourinho. He will fail if he doesn't get backed just like he did at Milan when Ibra and Thiago left the club and they had no money for proper replacements.
Anyone will fail if they aren't backed. That's not a reason to be against Allegri.

Kappa123

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
With Allegri incoming does this mean #Pogstay now?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I hate taking numbers in and saying "x amount is required" because I think average players can do a lot more from proper coaching. Truth is, I don't know how bad Matic or Fred REALLY are because they aren't coached. Maybe Matic is better with runners around him in a 5 man midfield. Maybe Fred is great when he's given clear instructions to be
a ball winning midfielder. Who knows? Allegri can potentially make the team far more functional. If we believe the smoke from the shitty sources, he was linked to bring in Can and Mandzukic who are upgrades, like it or not, and would be next to free transfers.

Allegri also has pedigree of dragging average sides with little depth to multiple positions up the table. He did it pre AC Milan.
How did he do at AC Milan once the top players like Ibra, Silva etc left?