Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Marcello Lippi claims Max Allegri is “the best choice” for Manchester United and that the ex-Juventus boss is “ready” for the role.

Allegri has emerged as a sudden contender for the Bayern Munich vacancy, but Lippi – like fellow elder statesman Fabio Capello – believes he should wait for United.

“Allegri would be good everywhere and as a great admirer of the English club I would be happy to see him take over,” the 71-year-old told The Daily Mail.

“Manchester United is the history of English football. There have been dark years but the club is fantastic, from the backroom to the players, everyone can say what it means to play at Old Trafford.

“First of all, I think Solskjaer was an exceptional striker and a good coach. For Allegri, I consider him an exemplary professional who has the style of Juventus in his blood.

“My deep friendship with [Sir Alex] Ferguson allows me to say that he would be the best choice for United.

“Allegri studies English and is perfect for the British style. He is prepared and shrewd. He reads the game with great ease.

“He loves challenges and I respect him a lot, I think he is serious and prepared, I think he is a humble person. A great Italian who would do very well in England.

“I can tell you that he is ready for United.”

Capello and Lippi both saying Allegri should sign ManUtd/ManUtd should sign Allegri.

TrustInOle

Does he understand Rashy Beans though?
What would be your thoughts on this? Seen the Juve tag and guessed you'd have abit more knowledge on his game. Is he as defensive minded as most make out? How would you expect us to play under him?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Italian managers seem to have a pretty decent record in the Premier League.

Mancini, Conte, Ranieri, Ancelotti all league winners...and Allegri's pedigree is certainly decent.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45582990

As for the football, can't be more dire than it is now
Well I wrote a decent post about him a while back

Good points about Allegri

a- He's got plenty of experience in dealing with a flawed owner. If you think the Glazers are bad then you haven't heard about Berlusconi. Imagine a scenario were one of the Glazers suddenly thinks that he's Sir Alex Ferguson but doesn't bother taking the job himself for fear of having to sack himself out of it. That is Berlusconi in his latter years at Milan.

b- Unlike LVG/Mou, Allegri doesn't have a philosophy. He builds his strategy by speaking his players, learn their strengths and weaknesses and build the team around him. In fact his formations changed regularly throughout the years. The guy isn't afraid to play players out of position either. He's the master of versatility.

c- No one organise a defence better then he does.

d- He's a superb man manager. One of the best in the job on that.

e- His teams nearly always punch above their weight. Cagliari, Sassuolo, AC Milan (until they sold him everyone). Conte ridiculed Juventus with his you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant for 10 euros jab (to justify his poor record in the CL). Allegri came in and nearly won the treble

f- I (and half of those watching Italian tv at the time) had a crush at his girlfriend when she was young.

g- He's a genuinely nice guy. He will joke around players, in interviews etc. However don't try and piss him off though. The guy held his ground against both Sacchi and Adani. If Gaz comes with crap on him he'll answer back

Bad points about Allegri

a- he would always prefer workrate & attitude over technique.

b- because of A, he tends to play the older players. Kids might showboat something Allegri doesn't like

c- That doesn't mean that he doesn't rate kids. He does rate them. Unlike Conte who couldn't bother knowing their name and used to just call them 'boys', Allegri cares about the young generation. Just don't expect him to build around 17 year olds. He won't

Conclusion

Allegri is not LVG or Mourinho. Rather then a rigid manager who thinks that everything rotates around his brilliance, Allegr is more like the Mcgyver of football who would scavenge around trying to sort his problems with the limited resources he's got. That what he did at Milan, Cagliari, Sassuolo etc were he had to punch over his weight with the limited resources given. Having said that, this usually result into a team built around players who are hard working and have great attitude. That doesn't mean he's scared of superstars. He did well with the likes of Ibra, Pogba and Ronaldo as well.

Can he cover Sir Alex job? I very much doubt it. There again no one can. These days managers rely on DOFs and great football CEOs as much as a human being rely on oxygen to breathe. Allegri had worked with Paratici/Marotta whom I think are among the best in the job. However, if we get Allegri we will get a solid manager, whose a great man manager and whose extremely versatile in terms of tactics. On that regard he's the closest manager we've had to Sir Alex since this very day. In many ways he does remind me of Sir Alex during his last years.

Sterling Archer

Well I wrote a decent post about him a while back

Good points about Allegri

a- He's got plenty of experience in dealing with a flawed owner. If you think the Glazers are bad then you haven't heard about Berlusconi. Imagine a scenario were one of the Glazers suddenly thinks that he's Sir Alex Ferguson but doesn't bother taking the job himself for fear of having to sack himself out of it. That is Berlusconi in his latter years at Milan.

b- Unlike LVG/Mou, Allegri doesn't have a philosophy. He builds his strategy by speaking his players, learn their strengths and weaknesses and build the team around him. In fact his formations changed regularly throughout the years. The guy isn't afraid to play players out of position either. He's the master of versatility.

c- No one organise a defence better then he does.

d- He's a superb man manager. One of the best in the job on that.

e- His teams nearly always punch above their weight. Cagliari, Sassuolo, AC Milan (until they sold him everyone). Conte ridiculed Juventus with his you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant for 10 euros jab (to justify his poor record in the CL). Allegri came in and nearly won the treble

f- I (and half of those watching Italian tv at the time) had a crush at his girlfriend when she was young.

g- He's a genuinely nice guy. He will joke around players, in interviews etc. However don't try and piss him off though. The guy held his ground against both Sacchi and Adani. If Gaz comes with crap on him he'll answer back

Bad points about Allegri

a- he would always prefer workrate & attitude over technique.

b- because of A, he tends to play the older players. Kids might showboat something Allegri doesn't like

c- That doesn't mean that he doesn't rate kids. He does rate them. Unlike Conte who couldn't bother knowing their name and used to just call them 'boys', Allegri cares about the young generation. Just don't expect him to build around 17 year olds. He won't

Conclusion

Allegri is not LVG or Mourinho. Rather then a rigid manager who thinks that everything rotates around his brilliance, Allegr is more like the Mcgyver of football who would scavenge around trying to sort his problems with the limited resources he's got. That what he did at Milan, Cagliari, Sassuolo etc were he had to punch over his weight with the limited resources given. Having said that, this usually result into a team built around players who are hard working and have great attitude. That doesn't mean he's scared of superstars. He did well with the likes of Ibra, Pogba and Ronaldo as well.

Can he cover Sir Alex job? I very much doubt it. There again no one can. These days managers rely on DOFs and great football CEOs as much as a human being rely on oxygen to breathe. Allegri had worked with Paratici/Marotta whom I think are among the best in the job. However, if we get Allegri we will get a solid manager, whose a great man manager and whose extremely versatile in terms of tactics. On that regard he's the closest manager we've had to Sir Alex since this very day. In many ways he does remind me of Sir Alex during his last years.
Nice summary of Allegri. It's high high expectations to be even comparing him to Sir Alex. I'd take the gamble, if not for any reason other than how awful this season has been.

SirAF

Ageist
Nice summary of Allegri. It's high high expectations to be even comparing him to Sir Alex. I'd take the gamble, if not for any reason other than how awful this season has been.
Agreed. Allegri would not be a natural continuation of the style United want Solskjaer to implement, but then again the current style is almost non existent. I like what I've seen and read about Allegri and I'd happily take a punt.

SATA

I think both Lippi and Capello should shut up and keep those comments to themselves while Ole is still in the job. It’s hugely disrespectful in my opinion. They can express what they want when and after Ole is not in it. Just me though

norm87cro

After all the stick Jose got here we really should not settle for the mini me version of him. Pass

Sterling Archer

I think both Lippi and Capello should shut up and keep those comments to themselves while Ole is still in the job. It’s hugely disrespectful in my opinion. They can express what they want when and after Ole is not in it. Just me though
Its disrespectful to Manchester United and the fanz that a manager with the current record is still here and the numbskull CEO that has overseen six seasons of missteps is still sitting pretty.

devilish

Actually I said that Allegri is not Sir Alex. Sure there's some aspects of him that are similar. For example they both share this bottom up approach to tactics were they build their strategy not because of their 'philosophy' but because of the players they have at their disposal. Which explains why they were able to punch above their weight with smaller clubs like Aberdeen, St Mirren, Sassuolo and Cagliari. Many at Juve criticised Allegri for playing players out of their position. Does that ring a bell? (Jones, Scholes, Giggs and Rafael in CM, Smalling as RB, Gaz and Keane as CB etc). Both are exceptional man managers as well and are not shy in delegating aspects of their game to experts. Sir Alex called himself a tactical dinosaur (which I disagree) while Allegri had delegated tactics to Dolcetti.

However the buck stops there. Sir Alex had shown great ability in shifting to an attacking side team when he had the talent to do so. Allegri had never had that wealth of talent at his disposal (Scholes, Beckham/Ronaldo, Giggs, Rooney, RVN) but while he did a good job with Pogba and Ibra he did struggle accommodating both Dybala and Ronaldo in the same team. Secondly Allegri's peak of career came when he had exceptional people at board level to support him. You can't really ask for better people then Marotta and Paratici.

devilish

Do you really think that Capello/Lippi care about Ole and his feelings? They spent their entire career in a football world were results and reputation matter and were few bad results is enough for a manager to get the chop. They are probably scratching their heads trying to understand how Ole was able to survive this long. Manchester United is a top club in their books.

devilish

Going by the forums, Juventus fans couldn't stand his brand of football
Well Juventus fans had always had problems with former Milan managers managing them. They made Ancelotti's life a living hell and Allegri was always treated in a cold way. The only Milan manager they accepted was Capello. He back stabbed them by resigning in their time of most need (ie during calciopoli)

Ah and I almost forgot. They are obsessed with the CL and someone needs to get the blame for not winning it for them.

Anyway according to this

https://jmania.it/sarri-vs-allegri-anno-scorso-piu-tiri-gol-fatti-meno-reti-subite/

After 13 matches Sarriball has created less chances then Allegri's team and is struggling more defensively. Sarriball is more cynical though (34,14% al 35,56%,) however opponents are more cynical against them as well.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Do you really think that Capello/Lippi care about Ole and his feelings? They spent their entire career in a football world were results and reputation matter and were few bad results is enough for a manager to get the chop. They are probably scratching their heads trying to understand how Ole was able to survive this long. Manchester United is a top club in their books.
Except in their day and age, unless you were at Madrid, it really wasn't.

devilish

Not really. If that was the case then Lippi would have had no career as he never managed Real. These two managers treat united as a top top club. Capello loves English football and Lippi is Sir Alex close friend

Last edited:
Erm.. yes it was. None of the clubs they managed would have accepted our start to the season, in any day and age since 1980.
Lippi actually got fired like a day into the season at Inter after a defeat cause they thought he already wasn’t doing good enough from the previous season.

el3mel

Nothing wrong in what Lippi said. He did not even criticize Ole, just backed his mate Allegri for the job if he gets it.

Lippi added: 'First of all, I think Solskjaer was an exceptional striker and a good coach. For Allegri, I consider him an exemplary professional who has the style of Juventus in his blood.

'My deep friendship with (Sir Alex) Ferguson allows me to say that he would be the best choice for United.'

roonster09

Scout
Going by the forums, Juventus fans couldn't stand his brand of football
Not surprising, at least you can say ManUtd lack quality players to play good football, Juventus have some excellent players and plays such a boring football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be such a underwhelming appointment as far as i'm concerned. I personally hope we nab one of Rose, Nagelsmann or Ten Hag, and all three would be a better fit at the club in comparison to Allegri IMO.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not surprising, at least you can say ManUtd lack quality players to play good football, Juventus have some excellent players and plays such a boring football.
Bet the would rather Allegri football than what they are being served up now

roonster09

Scout
Bet the would rather Allegri football than what they are being served up now
It's not just black or white, Sarri is known for setting up team to play good football, it takes time and when it clicks it will be beautiful to watch.

Cassidy

Would be such a underwhelming appointment as far as i'm concerned. I personally hope we nab one of Rose, Nagelsmann or Ten Hag, and all three would be a better fit at the club in comparison to Allegri IMO.

Something about Ten Hag that bothers me. Ajax always so naive.

Certainly take Naglesmann, but I wouldnt rule out Allegri. Although not my first choice I think he is a better manager than he is getting credit for. He took Juve to 2 champions league finals and they were a great watch during that run

Cassidy

It's not just black or white, Sarri is known for setting up team to play good football, it takes time and when it clicks it will be beautiful to watch.
Allegris football wasn’t always boring at Juve. I feel like there is a bit of revisonism going on

roonster09

Scout
Allegris football wasn’t always boring at Juve. I feel like there is a bit of revisonism going on
It wasn't always boring but for most of the time it was boring. Such a lifeless/joyless football it was.

With the team they had and how much better they were compared to rest of the league, they should have played much better football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Certainly take Naglesmann, but I wouldnt rule out Allegri. Although not my first choice I think he is a better manager than he is getting credit for. He took Juve to 2 champions league finals and they were a great watch during that run
Allegri is a good coach no question. But my preference would be someone who implements a play style that will excite the fans, and the three I mentioned would potentially provide that. Rose would be my first choice.

Cloud7

What one person might call naive someone else would call fearless. A good parallel is how Pep never really changes his game plan, he sends his team out there to execute his same plan which he believes is good enough to beat anyone. For better or worse, I like and respect that approach.

Cassidy

What one person might call naive someone else would call fearless. A good parallel is how Pep never really changes his game plan, he sends his team out there to execute his same plan which he believes is good enough to beat anyone. For better or worse, I like and respect that approach.

Pep does change his game plan, especially vs Liverpool these days. He even came to OT and was cautious i the first game vs Jose

Lemansky

I agree wholeheartedly. A competent DOF/ Technical Director above for example Rose or Nagelsmann would be a dream. Can we trust Woodward to do something right though? No.

Cloud7

Pep does change his game plan, especially vs Liverpool these days. He even came to OT and was cautious i the first game vs Jose
Doesn't seem that way to me, though of course I could be wrong.

Cassidy

Doesn't seem that way to me, though of course I could be wrong.
The main reason they lost to Spurs last season in the UCL is that they were far too cautious in the away leg. Its a myth that he is tactically inflexible. He uses many different setups

Mr Smith

I agree about Ten Hag. But he's got next Barca manager written all over him so not to worry.

lsd

The Oracle
While i don't believe the current Saudi story i do think its only a matter of time till we do get taken over .

Therefore our next Manager needs to be expierenced at attracting big money players and getting the best out of them .

Is that something Allegri is good at ?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I would take Allegri now on the basis that he will instil some tactical discipline to this side. He may bring some players who may not have the fans on the edge of their seats with their dribbles, their passion and their pace/hard work but they will help the team in all the phases of the game. You know, players like Carrick. Once we've established that, we can approach someone like Nagelsmann to continue the project and take it to the next level. Allegri has the experience of working under Berlusconi, so he knows what a madhouse looks like. The crucial point is how much good faith he will be afforded by a fanbase that is willing to clap happily as long as the manager talks about the United way after they've witnessed their beloved legend being axed in favour of a pragmatic Italian. Oh, and they also believe that we have to marry any manager when we hire him, that this is a relationship that will last a lifetime or something.

But if you think that Nagelsmann would come here now, you're living in Lala land. We're talking about a guy who puts a lot of emphasis on science and technology to get his message through. At Hoffenheim, he'd put a huge screen above the training ground and he used to stop the training exercises with the ball every five seconds just to chastise his players' bad positioning. He gives each player a personal file with his movement and his stats on/off the ball and he expects the player to study it. And much more. Leipzig get better results under him not because they create more but because they've become more efficient. A part of this boils down to the importance of xG stats which are used by many German managers to create attacking patterns and to improve their players' individual stats. Which again leads us to meticulous teaching and necessary studying.

Put him in charge of this group of overpaid and/or overhyped primadonnas who have managed to kick managers with LvG and Mou's CV out of the club while they get away with murder week in and week out and we'll be discussing what a fraud Nagelsmann is in no time. And yeah, they are the same players who have been pampered by the fans (sometimes by the board too) to no end and they're the same players who Solskjaer decided to rely upon for this season. Sadly, we're not ready for someone like Nagelsmann (or Ten Hag for that matter). First, you get your shite together and then you approach them. He'll not come here to tow the party line, he's actually a manager that can have a great career and he'll not just sit and get fecked by Woodward while being all smiles because he knows he won't get a decent job elsewhere. By the way, i see a lot of newfound love for Nagelsmann lately. You know that his first nickname was "baby Mourinho", right?

OleTheGreat

I'd rather keep Ole in comparison to Max because i think he knows better about the United way. Given the right type of squad, i think Ole can manage to win the league in a year or two. We absolutely have to be patient with this squad because not just Ole but i don't think anybody can really make a difference. I think he's doing a good job with what he has and given a couple more transfer windows, i think he can bring about a change in this team and their overall performances.

lsd

The Oracle
I would take Allegri now on the basis that he will instil some tactical discipline to this side. He may bring some players who may not have the fans on the edge of their seats with their dribbles, their passion and their pace/hard work but they will help the team in all the phases of the game. You know, players like Carrick. Once we've established that, we can approach someone like Nagelsmann to continue the project and take it to the next level. Allegri has the experience of working under Berlusconi, so he knows what a madhouse looks like. The crucial point is how much good faith he will be afforded by a fanbase that is willing to clap happily as long as the manager talks about the United way after they've witnessed their beloved legend being axed in favour of a pragmatic Italian. Oh, and they also believe that we have to marry any manager when we hire him, that this is a relationship that will last a lifetime or something.

But if you think that Nagelsmann would come here now, you're living in Lala land. We're talking about a guy who puts a lot of emphasis on science and technology to get his message through. At Hoffenheim, he'd put a huge screen above the training ground and he used to stop the training exercises with the ball every five seconds just to chastise his players' bad positioning. He gives each player a personal file with his movement and his stats on/off the ball and he expects the player to study it. And much more. Leipzig get better results under him not because they create more but because they've become more efficient. A part of this boils down to the importance of xG stats which are used by many German managers to create attacking patterns and to improve their players' individual stats. Which again leads us to meticulous teaching and necessary studying.

Put him in charge of this group of overpaid and/or overhyped primadonnas who have managed to kick managers with LvG and Mou's CV out of the club while they get away with murder week in and week out and we'll be discussing what a fraud Nagelsmann is in no time. And yeah, they are the same players who have been pampered by the fans (sometimes by the board too) to no end and they're the same players who Solskjaer decided to rely upon for this season. Sadly, we're not ready for someone like Nagelsmann (or Ten Hag for that matter). First, you get your shite together and then you approach them. He'll not come here to tow the party line, he's actually a manager that can have a great career and he'll not just sit and get fecked by Woodward while being all smiles because he knows he won't get a decent job elsewhere. By the way, i see a lot of newfound love for Nagelsmann lately. You know that his first nickname was "baby Mourinho", right?

So hes.no good then ?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

So hes.no good then ?
Nagelsmann? Of course, he's good. But he's way more pragmatic than what the "young, modern and upcoming manager" etiquette suggests. At least here on the Caf. And his move to Leipzig was a very calculated one. They are a well-run club and he went there to help them push for even better things. He's probably eyeing the Bayern Munich job a few years down the line and Bayern Munich are keeping an eye on him too. When he will start looking to take the big step and manage a club with the highest expectations, he'll have better offers than Woodward's current United. And he won't come without reassurances regarding the squad. It's well documented that many of these players get better and more lucrative deals while the club is struggling and his methods are going to cause some disturbance in the dressing room.

::sonny::

Rejected the United job, now he is waiting for the end of the season.
AC Milan interest as well

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Rejected the United job, now he is waiting for the end of the season.
AC Milan interest as well
he is not rejecting anything man.
It's clear he wants all the money from Juventus and only after his contract expires he'll move forward.
But he'll never pick an half season job. Too risky.
He'll prolly go to United but it will be only in Summer when he can actually manage something before the new Premier