Massimiliano Allegri targets Manchester United job

lsd

The Oracle

There's not a chance Utd have offered him the job at this point .

They may go to him in the future if Ole goes on a disaster run but there is no way they have been offering anyone the post now

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Well I wrote a decent post about him a while back

Good points about Allegri

a- He's got plenty of experience in dealing with a flawed owner. If you think the Glazers are bad then you haven't heard about Berlusconi. Imagine a scenario were one of the Glazers suddenly thinks that he's Sir Alex Ferguson but doesn't bother taking the job himself for fear of having to sack himself out of it. That is Berlusconi in his latter years at Milan.

b- Unlike LVG/Mou, Allegri doesn't have a philosophy. He builds his strategy by speaking his players, learn their strengths and weaknesses and build the team around him. In fact his formations changed regularly throughout the years. The guy isn't afraid to play players out of position either. He's the master of versatility.

c- No one organise a defence better then he does.

d- He's a superb man manager. One of the best in the job on that.

e- His teams nearly always punch above their weight. Cagliari, Sassuolo, AC Milan (until they sold him everyone). Conte ridiculed Juventus with his you can't eat in a 100 euro restaurant for 10 euros jab (to justify his poor record in the CL). Allegri came in and nearly won the treble

f- I (and half of those watching Italian tv at the time) had a crush at his girlfriend when she was young.

g- He's a genuinely nice guy. He will joke around players, in interviews etc. However don't try and piss him off though. The guy held his ground against both Sacchi and Adani. If Gaz comes with crap on him he'll answer back

Bad points about Allegri

a- he would always prefer workrate & attitude over technique.

b- because of A, he tends to play the older players. Kids might showboat something Allegri doesn't like

c- That doesn't mean that he doesn't rate kids. He does rate them. Unlike Conte who couldn't bother knowing their name and used to just call them 'boys', Allegri cares about the young generation. Just don't expect him to build around 17 year olds. He won't

Conclusion

Allegri is not LVG or Mourinho. Rather then a rigid manager who thinks that everything rotates around his brilliance, Allegr is more like the Mcgyver of football who would scavenge around trying to sort his problems with the limited resources he's got. That what he did at Milan, Cagliari, Sassuolo etc were he had to punch over his weight with the limited resources given. Having said that, this usually result into a team built around players who are hard working and have great attitude. That doesn't mean he's scared of superstars. He did well with the likes of Ibra, Pogba and Ronaldo as well.

Can he cover Sir Alex job? I very much doubt it. There again no one can. These days managers rely on DOFs and great football CEOs as much as a human being rely on oxygen to breathe. Allegri had worked with Paratici/Marotta whom I think are among the best in the job. However, if we get Allegri we will get a solid manager, whose a great man manager and whose extremely versatile in terms of tactics. On that regard he's the closest manager we've had to Sir Alex since this very day. In many ways he does remind me of Sir Alex during his last years.
I don't think our defenders are good enough on the ball for his system to work well, which is something his philosophy relies a lot. The defenders and side backs spend a lot of time with the ball under Allegri, and I can easily see most of our defenders to break under pressure.

The good thing is that Pogba would be back to playing his best football again under him, but players who are poor on offball contribution would be shown the bench or worst.

El Zoido

I don't think our defenders are good enough on the ball for his system to work well, which is something his philosophy relies a lot. The defenders and side backs spend a lot of time with the ball under Allegri, and I can easily see most of our defenders to break under pressure.

The good thing is that Pogba would be back to playing his best football again under him, but players who are poor on offball contribution would be shown the bench or worst.
Pogba will already be gone by the time we have a new manager.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Pogba will already be gone by the time we have a new manager.
Unfortunately. People fail to realize how sub-par we are simply because overall everyone is underachieving. Last season at this point we had 44 points. That's a 14 points difference!

Caesar2290

Unfortunately. People fail to realize how sub-par we are simply because overall everyone is underachieving. Last season at this point we had 44 points. That's a 14 points difference!
And the scary thing is that we considered last season a write off. A blip so to speak before we are back to where we belong.

And yet this year we are even worse, and the fans think we have "improved" and are still buying this whole "this season is a write off, we need another year" bs.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
And the scary thing is that we considered last season a write off. A blip so to speak before we are back to where we belong.

And yet this year we are even worse, and the fans think we have "improved" and are still buying this whole "this season is a write off, we need another year" bs.
If we end 6th minimum, Ole will stay one more season. You can quote this later :D

Smores

They may go to him in the future if Ole goes on a disaster run but there is no way they have been offering anyone the post now
I mean we lined up our replacement managers before sacking the last 3 managers so i don't see why it would be any different now.

If they've decided Ole is going in the summer (or sooner) they'll be doing the groundwork now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
38, and you were overachieving, too(better results than performances). This season you've been underachieving on the other hand

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
38, and you were overachieving, too(better results than performances). This season you've been underachieving on the other hand
We were 38 at round 17 last season, if I'm not mistaken. 44 at round 21. Could be wrong, though.

Classical Mechanic

Agree. There's never been the slightest hint anywhere that Ole's position was being considered. This just seems like Allegri saving face after his overtures came to naught.

Classical Mechanic

We were 38 at round 17 last season, if I'm not mistaken. 44 at round 21. Could be wrong, though.
You can look at it another way in that the lesser sides have been stronger this season.

At this point last season

1. Liverpool are +1 point
2. Leicester + 14 but 3 points behind last seasons 3rd placed team and 8 points behind 2nd
3. City -9 points
4. Chelsea -11 points
5. United -10 points
6. Spurs -18 points

SATA

I doubt we are going for him. It’s either Poch or no one else which means we are stuck with Ole. Choosing Poch over Allegri is the correct decision anyway i feel

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
You refer to United in the first person so what's your real club?

Let me guess: Académica the local team, Benfica in the league and United in Europe? :D

Champagne Football

Allegri would be a disaster. He'd try really hard for 1 year, then like all Italian managers, he would down tools in his second season until we paid him 20 million to split. Then he'd retire where he's most happy, in charge of AC Milan or Napoli, with an extra 20 million in his bank for 1 years work

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
he is not rejecting anything man.
It's clear he wants all the money from Juventus and only after his contract expires he'll move forward.
But he'll never pick an half season job. Too risky.
He'll prolly go to United but it will be only in Summer when he can actually manage something before the new Premier
Would prefer someone who is more of a tactically radial/advanced than Allegri. We are at a very different stage than Juventus. We don't need a little reorganisation/refinment. We need someone who can genuinely redefine how we play.

::sonny::

Interesting to see how Allegri is bad rated
2 ucl finals
1 seria a title with ac milan (yes ac milan)
Tons of titles with Juve

Lynty

Would prefer someone who is more of a tactically radial/advanced than Allegri. We are at a very different stage than Juventus. We don't need a little reorganisation/refinment. We need someone who can genuinely redefine how we play.
Agreed. Very few of those about.

This would be such a poor decision from the club, yet another direction /style.

Pick a direction and stick to it. If Ole isn't up for the job, double down and find a replacement who shares his vision.

Zero consistency and not committing to a philosophy is hurting us
Quoting myself because I still strongly hold this view.

ravi2

2 ucl finals
Tons of titles with Juve
Ive no problem with Allegri, I just don't think he is the manager that we need at this moment time.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You refer to United in the first person so what's your real club?

Let me guess: Académica the local team, Benfica in the league and United in Europe? :D
Ehehe, you are correct. I pretty much support a team for each league I watched since I was a kid. In the old days where thePortuguese League was at RTP 1 (I think SIC bought the transmission rights for a couple of seasons too), the Premier League was at RTP 2, the Brasileirão, Serie A and La Liga at TVI first year of existence. Good old days when football was accessible to everyone.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
2 ucl finals
Tons of titles with Juve
I also don't get how anyone may think that a top italian manager isn't tactically savvy, that he is just good at making small tweaks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
if only... if only. best bet of anyone out there who is truly available. but we won't want him until it's too late

Velvet Revolver

If our players are so weak mentally and technically then it's a good thing we get rid of. Having bad players is not going to help any Manager

stepic

i think it's a given Allegri would be a better choice than Ole. the question is whether there's someone else who is a better choice than both.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If our players are so weak mentally and technically then it's a good thing we get rid of. Having bad players is not going to help any Manager
Problem is: can you really get better options at the market that will have immediate impact at the club? We have to eventually pick our battles on the squad engineering, no team can cover all issues.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The other day someone posted on this very forum that he would prefer Solskjaer over Klopp and Guardiola because the club needs a "structural rebuild".
The club does need a structural rebuild.

Getting behind Ole, specifically, based on that alone is dubious at best, though (obviously).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You can look at it another way in that the lesser sides have been stronger this season.

At this point last season

1. Liverpool are +1 point
2. Leicester + 14 but 3 points behind last seasons 3rd placed team and 8 points behind 2nd
3. City -9 points
4. Chelsea -11 points
5. United -10 points
6. Spurs -18 points
This doesn't add up.

billybee99

Ole IS on a disastrous run. He's won something like 27% or 29% of his games since being named permanent manager. That is disastrous by any definition of the word. The fact that so many people on the Cafe refuse to acknowledge this is even more troubling.

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The club does need a structural rebuild.

Getting behind Ole, specifically, based on that alone is dubious at best, though (obviously).
By saying dubious you mean either a WUM or an opposition fan taking the piss? If that's the case, it crossed my mind. On the other hand, despite it being an extreme version, it's still a view that resonates with more than a few posters on here.

And i agree that we need changes from top to bottom. I put the structural rebuild within quotes not because i find the notion silly but because we have appointed a manager in Solskjaer (not a DoF or a member of the board) and there are so many people who want to hold him accountable for basically... nothing that has to do with the manager's job: Tactics, gameplan, in-game management etc. Apparently, we should all wait and see what will happen in three years time. I've already said (about a month ago) how much i enjoy reading your posts and i know where you stand on the matter. It just scares me that in such a competitive business we (from Ed to the fans) are willing to write off whole seasons with the hope that we will somehow get it right in the near future.

When Klopp admitted that they were thinking about sacking him at the end of his first year, and he asked for patience and, allegedly, to have one more year as a cushion (which he didn't need in the end because he got top-four), he had his CV to speak for him. We're (not you but many posters) just dismissing astute tacticians with the hope that a - not so good tactically (i'm not suggesting that he's clueless) - manager will be able to assemble some of the best talents to play for him. Then another manager will come to sweep all the trophies. Call me a pessimist but I don't think it's going to happen. We may see it that way but most of our primary targets will not. They want to play for managers who actually... manage a team on the pitch and give proof that they can take it places.

billybee99

It is madness to me that arguably 2 of the top 5 managers in world football were available and we end up with a manager who isn't in the top 100. All Woodward had to do was stick to the original plan and have Ole see out the season as caretaker manager, do due diligence, conduct a search and interviews and then reassess. But no, we get the PSG result (in which, less be honest, we had our asses handed to us in chances and possession and quality), he jumps the gun, shoots his wad so to speak, hires Ole on the spot as permanent manager and here we are.

Velvet Revolver

Problem is: can you really get better options at the market that will have immediate impact at the club? We have to eventually pick our battles on the squad engineering, no team can cover all issues.
Yes of course you can get better options in the market. We need a good management system for that. Take pool's case. They didn't invest big money for all their players. They had a good coach and a good system to identify targets. Apart from VVD ( who immediately transformed their defense) all other signings have been quite under the radar and not so heavy on the cost either. Their midfield of Henderson and Milner is better than our midfield that speaks volume!

Ed wants to swing his you know what and proclaim to the world he wants to buy players, constant leaks, incompetent negotiations time and again. Of course there will never be value in the market!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It is madness to me that arguably 2 of the top 5 managers in world football were available and we end up with a manager who isn't in the top 100. All Woodward had to do was stick to the original plan and have Ole see out the season as caretaker manager, do due diligence, conduct a search and interviews and then reassess. But no, we get the PSG result (in which, less be honest, we had our asses handed to us in chances and possession and quality), he jumps the gun, shoots his wad so to speak, hires Ole on the spot as permanent manager and here we are.
I think Ole would have got the job in any case. It wasn't like we were expected to beat them.