Mata | Mourinho says it's just a Mata of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorenzy

Silva is of similar level to Ozil.

Mata just a level below. And Cazorla a level below still.
IMO there's not a lot between the three of them (Silva, Mata, Cazorla)... last season I would even say that Cazorla was probably the best out of the three Spanish playmakers in the league. Silva didn't have a particularly impressive season and Cazorla matched Mata for goals, assists and key passes and surpassed him completely in dribbles, through balls and shots while doing twice the work off the ball (tackles, interceptions). I also fail to see how Özil is ahead of them in any obvious way other than his assist count, and that is easily explained by him having played for Real Madrid feeding the likes of Cristiano, Higuaín and Benzema.

Cazorla and Silva are the more rounded build-up men, Özil and Mata more advanced, very direct and dependent on their "stats". With that in mind I don't think you can really say one significantly stands out above the others, save for form.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Silva is better than Mata IMO though there isn't much to choose. Silva gets usually picked ahead of Mata for Spain as well which is a good indicator.

I think Silva along with a lot of other Man City players let themselves down last season but the quality is undoubted.

One thing that impresses me about Mata is that he managed to shine at Chelsea even when they were going through a bad patch and in transition. It points to a guy with the right attitude. He's also done well on occasion this season despite being marginalized.

Castia

Silva is quality but he's had large periods of poor form, he tends to go months sometimes looking tired and uneffective. There's not much between the 3 but Cazorla is a step down for sure.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I haven't trawled through the last 5 or 6 pages since I last logged on. I assume it's been discussed that Pellegrini now has his knickers in a twist because we're buying Mata, like Wenger yesterday?

surf

Not comparing with Silva and Ozil here, but Mata doesn't get injured much and can and does play 60 games a season and remains consistent. On the other hand, I always felt he was lazy defensively in games against us, which we were able to exploit.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
We should sign Castolo...good old PES times.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I have no problem with people saying anybody is better than Mata.. I'm still happy we're close to getting him, and will be more than satisfied if we get him.

Also, it would be much easier to compare those three if we waited another 4 months.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So, out of curiosity, where do ye think Kagawa ranks in this discussion of AMs? There were people on this site saying he was better than Ozil during the summer...
Overrated and needs to establish himself above the Coutinhos and Eriksens of this league before thinking of the Spaniards.

mufcwarm92

Ozil just shades Mata, who just shades Silva for me. Cazorla and Oscar both brilliant but some way off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I need your formations, people!
-------De Gea-------
---Smalling-Jones---
Rafael--------Coentrao
---Carrick--Fellaini----
--------Kagawa-------
--Mata-------Rooney
---------RvP----------

Or Mata for Kagawa and Januzaj on the right? :drool:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mata reminds me of Scholes for some reason. That alone makes him better than any of the others.

I need your formations, people!
De Gea

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Evra

Carrick - Fletcher

Mata

Rooney - Kagawa

RvP​

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
This isn't me being a dick...but on a serious note do you still believe this?
Some of it. obviously the respectable figure part. Results are more important though and in that respect we have been better and more solid without Mata. Less attractive of course, but I didnt want us to regress down Arsenals route(before this season) of attractiveness over substance. If he were going to PSG or back to Spain I would be sad on a personal level but not on a competitive one. The fact he is going to United, especially after the Rooney saga is a bit bothersome though, he will take you up a level that IMO makes you favourites for the top 4.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Has there been any pictures of the medical?

Status
Not open for further replies.