Match Compilations

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Suarez, Di Stefano & Kubala :drool: . Di Stefano was commanding and brilliant but one player was equally impressive or even more so perhaps.

Next up Kubala.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Suarez, Di Stefano & Kubala :drool: . Di Stefano was commanding and brilliant but one player was equally impressive or even more so perhaps.

Next up Kubala.
Why not the one who was as impressive?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Next up Kubala.
This will have to wait for now.

We've all read about Müller playing as a midfielder in important away matches etc but I'd never quite been able to find footage of that, till now, and that too against Liverpool at Anfield!

Needless to say, after helping his side secure an important scoreless draw at Anfield, he'd go on to score a brace and lead Bayern to a 3-1 win in the 2nd leg. Just amazing.

@Synco (recall you making a post about it)

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I knew you'd do that game one day :drool:

I love that Müller's only shot comes when, in the final minute, he essentially tries to get rid of the ball, fails to find anybody, and proceeds to make a really bad attempt from 30 yards out. More of a clearance, in spirit :lol:
We've all read about Müller playing as a midfielder in important away matches etc but I'd never quite been able to find footage of that, till now, and that too against Liverpool at Anfield!
You mostly did 60s and NT stuff comps until now, but most of Müller's (semi-)midfield stuff happened for Bayern in the 70s. If you're looking for another one with Müller playing deep (not quite as extreme as this one, though), you can do the 1975 final against Leeds. Besides doing lots of dirty work in midfield & defense again, Müller scores the second goal & pre-assists the first one with a left-back-like move and a false-footed diagonal pass to Torstensson, who assists Roth for the opener.
Gonna repost it later. I also did stats for Müller's games, so I can add the ones for this. But I'll have to rewatch the game before posting, as I'd count them differently now & also include recoveries.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
love that Müller's only shot comes when, in the last minute, he essentially tries to get rid of the ball, fails to find anybody, and proceeds to make a really bad attempt from 30 yards out. More of a clearance, in spirit :lol:
:lol:

You mostly did 60s and NT stuff comps until now, but most of Müller's (semi-)midfield stuff happened for Bayern in the 70s. If you're looking for another one with Müller playing deep (not quite as extreme as this one, though), you can do the 1975 final against Leeds. Besides doing lots of dirty work in midfield & defense again, Müller scores the second goal & pre-assists the first one with a left-back-like move and a false-footed diagonal pass to Torstensson, who assists Roth for the opener.
Interesting. Watched that match ages ago but probably forgot about it.

Will make it one day but trying my best to go in a chronological order as much as I can. It's interesting to see the progression of a player as his career goes on .

Gonna repost it later. I also did stats for Müller's games, so I can add the ones for this. But I'll have to rewatch the game before posting, as I'd count them differently now & also include recoveries.
That would be great, looking forward to it.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

His dribbling is just :drool:

The match had a charged political background with the friendly taking place a month after Boban's famous kick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Yugoslavia_v_Netherlands_football_match
Could watch him all day when he was in form and focused (which was often the case in his early days). People look at his numbers and say it is nothing special, but he would feck up the whole shape of the other team with the way he played constantly oppening them up.

Brilliant work Joga! :)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Could watch him all day when he was in form and focused (which was often the case in his early days). People look at his numbers and say it is nothing special, but he would feck up the whole shape of the other team with the way he played constantly oppening them up.

Brilliant work Joga! :)
Cheers

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A classic. I do recall this match being used as a stick to beat Stam with (turning like a truck against the agile Edmundo & Romario duo)* but he was the only United defender who fared well in this match imo. Neville gave a performance that would make Gerrard swoon and Silvestre was just lost.

Romario though, just deadly.

*I myself had used that against him in draft matches but it seems harsh, lazy and baseless thinking about it now

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Müller's stats for this game:
touches......................... 76
passes........................... 47/49 (96%)
key passes/assists....... -
shots/on target............. 1/0
goals.............................. -
off. aerial duels............. -
dribblings...................... 2/3 (if you can call them dribblings)
turnovers....................... 3

defensive duels............. 7/16 (44%) - ground 4/11 - aerial 3/5
interceptions.................. -
clearances..................... 6
recoveries...................... 7
blocks............................. -
fouls................................ -
Bits & pieces:
According to the commentator, Müller was half-injured and close to missing the game, so he was put in that defensive role to make it easier for him. (A parallel to the 1968 Milan game, where Bayern & the semi-injured Müller played a bit similar in the first half.) But Müller's immense movement, workrate & hustle, and the fact that Bayern & Müller later replicated these tactics many times, make me doubtful this was the only reason.

It really must be emphasized how much more Müller does in that role than stats and compilations can capture. He constantly alternates between DM/CM/RB/LB/CB positions, including lots of defensive sprints and challenges. The only way to capture his movement and workrate is to watch the full 90 minutes.

Bayern's negativity was really something to behold, their offensive game was absolutely terrible, and by design. Combined with the rain and Liverpool's inability to break through the defensive block, it made for an awful match. Breitner and Hoeness were totally consumed by their man-marking jobs and contributed nothing offensively.

Defensively, Bayern's stars were great though, including Beckenbauer, whose performance reminds me of the 1974 World Cup.
Needless to say, after helping his side secure an important scoreless draw at Anfield, he'd go on to score a brace and lead Bayern to a 3-1 win in the 2nd leg. Just amazing.
Great slowmo of his heading technique and reaction time for the opening goal:
The post is here, and a follow up here.

They are attempts to describe the different basic modes of Müller's game, and the ways he could recombine them from game to game.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Travesty this guy is completely ignored by drafters, absolute genius and a pure joy to watch! @Physiocrat as a proper winger junkie should check him out!

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Šjor Bepo I very nearly picked Gray in the last draft, I was a big fan of his from some of the videos I'd seen, some including yours. It was just last draft I wanted someone with proven defensive work so went Zagallo. Will watch later. Always interested in a bit of Gray

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A great game to see Beckenbauer's defensive credentials in isolation, as Bayern play with their backs to the wall at Anfield.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

One of football's unsolvable mysteries- how the feck does he move that fast in slow mo whilst the others are like statues stuck in quick sand?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One of football's unsolvable mysteries- how the feck does he move that fast in slow mo whilst the others are like statues stuck in quick sand?
My favourite one is this, where the linesman decided that no player can be that quick and ruled it offside - in reality, he was about 3 yards in when the defenders tried their offside trap on him:

[Edit, since the video is deleted: It's Müller's disallowed second goal in the WC final 1974]

Müller's coordination from first touch to turnaround shot against his running direction is amazing there. Would have been his second brace in his second NT final, with his second shot of the game. This time not against an overwhelmed USSR, but one of the best sides in history. (He ended up with one shot, that one).

------

Some more context for the game in Liverpool:
Dude scored 64 goals for club and country that season, and is credited with 17 assist in the BL alone (transfermarkt only, tbf). In the month of October he scored 10 in 6 outside of the Liverpool game, where he threw in this Mascherano-style performance with 96% passing precision as if it's nothing, while playing with a knock.

Insane, insane, insane player.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
FIFA will probably decline my appeal, but there'll be a few days at least that this video is going to be available for anyone who is interested. Scores an early goal in the 1966 World Cup quarter-final against Albert's Hungary, and then proceeds to create multiple chances for his teammates alternating between different tactical roles – right winger, attacking midfielder and even one of 2 forwards.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Müller's stats for this game:
touches......................... 76
passes........................... 47/49 (96%)
key passes/assists....... -
shots/on target............. 1/0
goals.............................. -
off. aerial duels............. -
dribblings...................... 2/3 (if you can call them dribblings)
turnovers....................... 3

defensive duels............. 7/16 (44%) - ground 4/11 - aerial 3/5
interceptions.................. -
clearances..................... 6
recoveries...................... 7
blocks............................. -
fouls................................ -
Bits & pieces:
According to the commentator, Müller was half-injured and close to missing the game, so he was put in that defensive role to make it easier for him. (A parallel to the 1968 Milan game, where Bayern & the semi-injured Müller played a bit similar in the first half.) But Müller's immense movement, workrate & hustle, and the fact that Bayern & Müller later replicated these tactics many times, make me doubtful this was the only reason.

It really must be emphasized how much more Müller does in that role than stats and compilations can capture. He constantly alternates between DM/CM/RB/LB/CB positions, including lots of defensive sprints and challenges. The only way to capture his movement and workrate is to watch the full 90 minutes.

Bayern's negativity was really something to behold, their offensive game was absolutely terrible, and by design. Combined with the rain and Liverpool's inability to break through the defensive block, it made for an awful match. Breitner and Hoeness were totally consumed by their man-marking jobs and contributed nothing offensively.

Defensively, Bayern's stars were great though, including Beckenbauer, whose performance reminds me of the 1974 World Cup.

The post is here, and a follow up here.

They are attempts to describe the different basic modes of Müller's game, and the ways he could recombine them from game to game.
It's criminal the way most fans of the sport see Muller as simply a goalscorer and little else.

Šjor Bepo

Chelsea mainly focused on Gray and they managed to stop him though that open the space for others but some shocker performances let them down....
But the football was just amazing, reckon if that game was played today there would at least be 10 red cards without exaggerations, most of the criteria im behind it but some of it was just insane :lol:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Chelsea mainly focused on Gray and they managed to stop him though that open the space for others but some shocker performances let them down....
But the football was just amazing, reckon if that game was played today there would at least be 10 red cards without exaggerations, most of the criteria im behind it but some of it was just insane :lol:
I've just finished watching UFC 253 and I think that match topped it for brutality :lol:. Pure bloodbath.

Šjor Bepo

I've just finished watching UFC 253 and I think that match topped it for brutality :lol:. Pure bloodbath.
had a talk week ago with joga and harms how i find Bremner a bit overrated on Caf, specially compared to Giles and Gray so to continue "Bremner bashing" i was surprised how nobody really took him seriously, he was agressive like pretty much everyone(bar Gray) but they just laughed at him in "fights" and there were a lot of them! As someone who has a reputation of proper enforcer it was a major surprise and that Mackay picture all of the sudden made a lot of sense.
Real enforcers were Charlton and Hunter, both absolute mad man.

Šjor Bepo

sadness :(
post peak at 22 years of age....showing glimpses but relatively weak display at Bernabeu, saying relatively cause pretty much all players of that ilk struggled at the day. Hagi was much worse, Laudrup turned it on for 2 actions and then went to Ozil mode for entire game, Stoichkov was bad as well.
Pretty much the only ones that played well from the creative/forward line were Pep and Butragueno(who shouldnt really count as he was against Koeman so it was almost cheating).

harms

Staff
Check it out until FIFA inevitably gets to my appeal and heartlessly rejects it. 19 years old Ronaldinho puts an absolute masterclass in Confederations Cup semi-final against Saudi Arabia – 3 goals, 1 fantastic assist and, well, Ronaldinho stuff. It's so fascinating watching him play as a youngster, not knowing just how great he would become at his peak.

Šjor Bepo

Just one more sadness after this :(
But also a shocking(or not as Capello was their manager) performance from Real Madrid as well, in the end they won 4:2 with a stoppage time goal to make it look like it was an easy game but they were really poor, names wise it was a dream team with the likes of Hierro, Illgner, Roberto Carlos, Redondo, Seedorf, Suker, Mijatovic, Ze Roberto, Raul on the pitch but reality is that only Mijatovic(probably next in line for few compilations) really performed and showed his class while others were generally poor with a flash of brilliance here and there like Seedorf with an amazing assist for the last goal.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Last one :D
Slightly better performance individually but a proper smash and grab win(performance, result wise they battered them) from a good Betis side(Alfonso, Jarni, Finidi).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Very nearly recreates an exact replica of 'that' back-heeled goal. A fantastic performance as he runs Arsenal ragged.

Šjor Bepo

Don Pedja :drool:
Misleading title though as Fenomeno played like Zaha on a bad hangover, absolutely shocking performance from him.
Redondo was phenomenal whileLuis Enrique was by far the best in Barca side as Figo was also disappointing.

harms

Staff

So good :drool:
I love how he seamlessly changes his roles throughout games.

Colombia, Brazil & Chile were all tied for the first place in the group before the final match day. All Colombia needed was not to lose 7:0 or more :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Not his greatest game but as always his decisiveness is ridiculous. A great individual battle between him and Baresi too.

harms

Staff

As usual with those kind of compilations, I'd really appreciate your feedback – positive and negative one :)

Šjor Bepo

fantastic:drool:
ideally id highlight actions against GOAT players, not sure how maybe pause the clip for less then a second and put a name under the player. I do that to highlight my player in match compilations and 0,4 of a second is a perfect length as you keep the flow but its more then enough to see the highlight.

harms

Staff
Georgie was clearly hangover on that day, but picked himself up and produced 2 assists (and created a few other chances as well).

Šjor Bepo

When ever i was casually(not focusing only on him) watching the game he always looked more like a attacking midfielder rather then a box2box one so decided to do a mini series of him starting with this to see the proper version. Wasnt Robbo or Keano esque but a proper all-action display. Playing much deeper then where he usually played when i watched, passing was a bit meh but kept it simple most of the time after few passes ala Fred so that shows intelligence. Defensive wise he was very active, not the best defender(as we already know from his fullback days) but very active and most often in correct positions.