Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Safe at the back (including a goal-line clearance), quite comfortable on the overlap, surprisingly creates 2 of his best chances with long passes. Not bad.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Safe at the back (including a goal-line clearance), quite comfortable on the overlap, surprisingly creates 2 of his best chances with long passes. Not bad.
Insta-blocked :(

Which player was it?

harms

Staff
Insta-blocked :(

Which player was it?
Reaney. I waited a bit, but a block came a bit later than I expected. I'll try to appeal it, let's see how FA reacts, although they have a 3rd party representing them and a full game uploaded somewhere, which isn't a good sign :(

harms

Staff
Yeah, they should’ve been banned from any international competition whatsoever. Having Beckenbauer, Müller and Netzer at their absolute best with telepathic understanding between each other surely constitutes as cheating. Not to mention Breitner, Maier and the likes of them.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

What a feckin player :drool: . Just phenomenal.
The reactions and instincts to get back off the deck before anyone else there for the second makes it look like he reads the game quicker than anyone else in those areas. Cracking header too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The reactions and instincts to get back off the deck before anyone else there for the second makes it look like he reads the game quicker than anyone else in those areas. Cracking header too.
His reactions in the box are just insane.

I just love his movement outside the box and the sheer timing of his runs. He's also the perfect centre forward for Netzer & Kaiser imo, always on the move, making himself available for the pass, drops deep to take part in the build up without being overly individualistic, plays those trademark deft one-twos in the final third and theose decisive and incisive defense splitting runs :drool:

He was just intelligent enough to balance all these off the ball aspects of his game in fine balance, making him an unpredictable menace off the ball for defenders. And when you combine that with his peerless game in the box, it's just ridiculous and obvious why he scored goals for fun.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Netzer's 4-0 (starting at 4:58) was the goal of year in Germany 1972 and is still quite famous today.

The buildup is quintessential Müller: He drops deep into left midfield, plays a simple pass into midfield and starts a 50m diagonal sprint straight towards goal, finally shaking off his marker by simply stopping at the right spot and letting him run on. He has created the pocket of space to receive the ball from Netzer at just the right time.

The ensuing backheel assist is one of my favourite details of Müller's career: watched closely, he kicks it towards the ground, giving it a backspin. It comes to a rest exactly in Netzer's running path, who can take it like a penalty.

Now, that could have been a lucky coincidence - Müller's ball handling wasn't always squeaky clean. Or one of these little pieces of technical genius that he produced randomly but steadily throughout his career. I know what I think :drool:

(Sorry for being overly geeky, but it's the stuff I enjoy so much.)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Netzer's 4-0 (starting at 4:58) was the goal of year in Germany 1972 and is still quite famous today.

The buildup is quintessential Müller: He drops deep into left midfield, plays a simple pass into midfield and starts a 50m diagonal sprint straight towards goal, finally shaking off his marker by simply stopping at the right spot and letting him run on. He has created the pocket of space to receive the ball from Netzer at just the right time.

The ensuing backheel assist is one of my favourite details of Müller's career: watched closely, he kicks it towards the ground, giving it a backspin. It comes to a rest exactly in Netzer's running path, who can take it like a penalty.

Now, that could have been a lucky coincidence - Müller's ball handling wasn't always squeaky clean. Or one of these little pieces of technical genius that he produced randomly but steadily throughout his career. I know what I think :drool:

(Sorry for being overly geeky, but it's the stuff I enjoy so much.)
Good observation that. It's Müller, I'd give him the benefit of doubt :lol: .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good observation that. It's Müller, I'd give him the benefit of doubt :lol: .
The way he hits the ball seen in slow-mo, I'm 100% sure he meant to do that. Also fits with other stuff I have seen. I think I'll post a collection in the general discussion thread at some time.

Btw, love you guys. Thought these things were only my nutty private hobby which no one gives a toss about. But there are actually people I can share this with :D

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who

Awesome stuff. It's a pity that with the test of time Muller's perception of the general fans and public(not here of course) is that he was a pure striker and a poacher. His link up, movement, hold up play and general team work is criminally underrated.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The way he hits the ball seen in slow-mo, I'm 100% sure he meant to do that. Also fits with other stuff I have seen. I think I'll post a collection in the general discussion thread at some time.

Btw, love you guys. Thought these things were only my nutty private hobby which no one gives a toss about. But there are actually people I can share this with :D
You'd like this bit of trivia too then, if you didn't know about it already.

https://footballpink.net/gunter-netzer-the-uncanny-and-the-awe-inspiring/

It appears that in running onto the ball he has tripped over. Someone unfamiliar with the goal would reasonably surmise by looking at the freeze frame that the forward would not only fail to score, but would be lucky to stay on his feet. Netzer did neither.

Disguising his stumble in an instant by simply allowing the ball to run across him, he lifts a strong shot into the top corner of the goal to the keeper’s right-hand side. Only someone with such intuitive balance and footballing intelligence could perform an implausible act such as this.

No wonder Netzer celebrated with such unrestrained joy – even if his celebratory leap into the air is effortless. The strike won the German Cup for the Foals. The goal cemented his love by all Foals fans and countless other Germans. Not for nothing is he still known by many today as ‘Son of God’.

Later, to convince myself his trip was real and not perceived I searched for quotes by him admitting the fact. I found one. “I hit the ball incorrectly as I stumbled. The goal was an accident”. Germany didn’t care. His strike was still voted goal of the season
Awesome stuff. It's a pity that with the test of time Muller's perception of the general fans and public(not here of course) is that he was a pure striker and a poacher. His link up, movement, hold up play and general team work is criminally underrated.
Agreed.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Miss watching those Milan derbies. Having Nesta, Maldini and Cafu at the back is akin to cheating :drool: .

One more player's comp from this game to follow :wenger:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
You'd like this bit of trivia too then, if you didn't know about it already.

https://footballpink.net/gunter-netzer-the-uncanny-and-the-awe-inspiring/
Didn't know that, very nice :D

Found this account from Netzer himself, emphasizing how none of this should have happened:
Everything was wrong there. I practised one-twos with Rainer Bonhof for years, it never worked. But it worked just in that moment. Then, if you look closely, the ball takes an unfortunate bounce. If I hit it correctly, textbook style, it becomes a harmless roller and there's no goal.
(He definitely likes a good story about himself.)

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Marvellous performance by maestro Murdoch against West Germany in 1969. Due to Murdoch Scotland, surprisingly, looked better than their glamorous opposition (Beckenbauer, Overath, Müller, Vogts), although the latter still went ahead after Gerd Müller's trademark unexplainable trickery inside the box. Murdoch's Netzer-esque equaliser came quite late in the game, but it was well-earned, as well as his harmsTV™ MotM award that found its recipient a little more than 50 years after the game.

I really like John Greig from the 60's. I think that he had lost a lot of his mobility later (or so it seems by those games from the 70's that I've seen on him), but when you combine his tactical intelligence and ability on the ball with young man's physique, you really get a near-perfect defensive midfielder :drool:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Marvellous performance by maestro Murdoch against West Germany in 1969. Due to Murdoch Scotland, surprisingly, looked better than their glamorous opposition (Beckenbauer, Overath, Müller, Vogts), although the latter still went ahead after Gerd Müller's trademark unexplainable trickery inside the box. Murdoch's Netzer-esque equaliser came quite late in the game, but it was well-earned, as well as his harmsTV™ MotM award that found its recipient a little more than 50 years after the game.

I really like John Greig from the 60's. I think that he had lost a lot of his mobility later (or so it seems by those games from the 70's that I've seen on him), but when you combine his tactical intelligence and ability on the ball with young man's physique, you really get a near-perfect defensive midfielder :drool:

Thanks for this, really enlightening window into the careers of these players. That was a tight group for qualifying for the World Cup and became a straight shoot-out between Scotland and West Germany with both teams winning all other games - until West Germany edged Scotland 3-2 with a late winner in their last game. What was your assessment of the quality of the two teams in the Hampden game?

harms

Staff
Thanks for this, really enlightening window into the careers of these players. That was a tight group for qualifying for the World Cup and became a straight shoot-out between Scotland and West Germany with both teams winning all other games - until West Germany edged Scotland 3-2 with a late winner in their last game. What was your assessment of the quality of the two teams in the Hampden game?
I’d say that Scotland were the better side – although not by that much, of course. Müller bailed Germany out with his magic – another jaw-dropping piece of intuitive acrobatics that left everyone confused while he had scored.

It was a really lovely midfield by them (Murdoch, Bremner & Greig coming from behind). Bremner looked quite nice as well – nothing spectacular, but very energetic & kept the ball well. Law was obviously a usual menace up front. Overath wasn’t very influential (mostly thanks to them); Beckenbauer was quality, but he didn’t dominate the game in his usual fashion.

Although my perception was probably slightly tilted towards Scotland since I was focused on their players mostly.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Great compilations. What a goal that was by Murdoch though :drool: .

I’d say that Scotland were the better side – although not by that much, of course. Müller bailed Germany out with his magic – another jaw-dropping piece of intuitive acrobatics that left everyone confused while he had scored.

It was a really lovely midfield by them (Murdoch, Bremner & Greig coming from behind). Bremner looked quite nice as well – nothing spectacular, but very energetic & kept the ball well. Law was obviously a usual menace up front. Overath wasn’t very influential (mostly thanks to them); Beckenbauer was quality, but he didn’t dominate the game in his usual fashion.

Although my perception was probably slightly tilted towards Scotland since I was focused on their players mostly.
Agreed with that summary. Scotland were the more dominant side but the German defense was fairly steadfast and Kaiser was personally keeping an eye out on Law.

Still have no idea why Beckenbauer just had one glove on though :lol:. Also this was the game in which Gemmell booted Haller was it not?

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I did post these in the newbie forum's but I will share them here if anyone is interested in watching them. Not made by me these videos btw.

Anderson vs Valencia 10/11

Park Ji Sung vs AC Milan 09/10

harms

Staff
Yeah. That's the best compilation I have seen of him
That’s certainly the best individual performance by him that I’ve seen as well (not that there was a plethora of options to choose from, sadly).

harms

Staff
I know that it sounds like a backhanded compliment nowadays, but he reminds me of Paul Pogba at the top of his game (and I mean it in the best possible way). Same flair and elegance on the verge of cockiness, dribbling, passing (and short lapses of concentration in the defensive phase). @Gio