Match Compilations

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
good work and fair play, no chance id be doing anything with this camera angles....
as for Djalma, for me he looks like a perfect RCB in a back three.
Yeah. I'd love to see more of Nilton and Djalma in Brazil's back 3 in 1954. Caught the odd snippet where they looked tremendous in those chaotic end-to-end games you got with the old WM systems.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You guys looked good this game, McCoist was a bit shit up front(no clue how he usually played but given he is pretty famous i expected something) but the midfield was pretty good. Looking forward to the second BVB game and Juve games:drool:
One of our better performances that campaign, we were normally fecked with injuries and had too many hairy-arsed Scotsmen on the park when we came up against Juventus. McCoist would have been 33 by that point and was certainly on the way down (never the same after his leg break against Portugal in 1993), although you'd always back him to bury a good chance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

It was a shit Brazil team, but he ran through them like a hot knife through butter :drool:
Should've had a hat-trick.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Mustard will be happy, impressive performance by Neeskens even though the opposition was utter shit but best game(half) so far!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It's weird as Dunga is so unfairly associated with the death of, ironically enough :D, Joga Bonito,
Agreed with that. Brazilians were spoilt after the likes of Didi, Gerson, Falcao etc though, and it must have been tough coming through after the 1982 vintage. I do think he'd have slotted in rather well in any of the '58, '70, '82 sides and I'd rate him higher than the likes of Zito, Clodoaldo and Cerezo myself (can see a fair few disagreeing with that). In fact a midfielder like him could have been the perfect midpoint between the likes of Cerezo and Mauro Silva. Unfortunately he played in an era where all the flair had been sucked out of the Brazilian midfield (exaggerating here but mostly relative to the generations gone by), with the midfield more or less functioning as a counterweight to the Brazilian forward line.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I know with tiers of greatness and all that shite, but when I watch Zico I find it hard to imagine that there's ever been a better footballer.
Agreed. It just seems so implausible.

For reference

:drool: My preferred Brazilian player too.

Agreed with that. Brazilians were spoilt after the likes of Didi, Gerson, Falcao etc though, and it must have been tough coming through after the 1982 vintage. I do think he'd have slotted in rather well in any of the '58, '70, '82 sides and I'd rate him higher than the likes of Zito, Clodoaldo and Cerezo myself (can see a fair few disagreeing with that). In fact a midfielder like him could have been the perfect midpoint between the likes of Cerezo and Mauro Silva.
I agree. These 3 are a bit light in terms of physical impact and work rate.

Unfortunately he played in an era where all the flair had been sucked out of the Brazilian midfield (exaggerating here but mostly relative to the generations gone by), with the midfield more or less functioning as a counterweight to the Brazilian forward line.
I view Dunga as an equivalent of Deschamps: successful players, not glamourous but they make the team balanced and successful.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nice videos about Neeskens. Not seen the other recent ones

Cheers. I think it’s unlikely that anyone from pre-50’s had a comparable physique to Gullit, which is something that separates him from the next tier of all-rounded geniuses like Beckenbauer/Cruyff/Di Stéfano...

Sarosi & Valentino Mazzola are players that I would’ve been the most interested in though from the pre-TV era if we’re talking about potentially all-time great all-rounders.
Yeah, he would have been a succesfull central defender too if he had wanted

Šjor Bepo

Have to say that im never really impressed with Del Piero when i watch him, loved him before but also realizing i overrated him a fair bit. Not based on this game as he is only 20 here but just another one of many where he failed to impress.

Šjor Bepo

@Gio yeah, a bit worse then the BVB game but not as bad as result would suggest.

harms

Staff

The chemistry between them was really something else. I haven't included every typical interaction, but:
  • Breitner's long ball to find Kalle in a dangerous position
  • One-two to put one or the other in front of a goal
  • Kalle being fouled only for Breitner to score a penalty
  • Either one peels out wide only to make a perfect cross for the other to score a header
and many, many others.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio yeah, a bit worse then the BVB game but not as bad as result would suggest.
Yeah, not as bad as I remembered. Game was in the balance until later in the second half. Gazza looked like the main midfielder doing all the probing, but not much space left to hit from Juve's compactness.

Agree on Del Piero in this game, his hold-up game was pretty poor at times. He was a lot better in Turin.

Šjor Bepo

Yeah, not as bad as I remembered. Game was in the balance until later in the second half. Gazza looked like the main midfielder doing all the probing, but not much space left to hit from Juve's compactness.

Agree on Del Piero in this game, his hold-up game was pretty poor at times. He was a lot better in Turin.
that long hair midfielder is pretty good. Started watching Steaua game last night, he is not playing and was replaced by some dodgy n10 - completely different team, only half an hour in but you guys were awful.

Šjor Bepo

bad day in the office for Gazza but what a winner from Steaua!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
that long hair midfielder is pretty good. Started watching Steaua game last night, he is not playing and was replaced by some dodgy n10 - completely different team, only half an hour in but you guys were awful.
That’ll be Stuart McCall. Solid and pretty tidy midfielder for Everton and Rangers, good engine too. Certainly missed him in Bucharest.

harms

Staff

Quite a few of new Georgie's videos are incoming...

harms

Staff
I'm doing games of Best that haven't been covered on YouTube yet, but there are going to be some side-compilations as a result of this. For example, this one — Sir Bobby with a mesmerising performance at Anfield, leading United to a 4:1 win. Best also played, but Charlton was the main star that night — and his goal was a cherry on the cake.

Well, you've certainly seen your own goal, but I doubt that Tommy Lawrence did
:drool:

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

I'm doing games of Best that haven't been covered on YouTube yet, but there are going to be some side-compilations as a result of this. For example, this one — Sir Bobby with a mesmerising performance at Anfield, leading United to a 4:1 win. Best also played, but Charlton was the main star that night — and his goal was a cherry on the cake.

why is the vid so short? is it from a highlights?

harms

Staff
why is the vid so short? is it from a highlights?
Yeah, sadly — there are quite a few BBC highlights from the 60’s that are usually about 40-45 minutes long. It’s not as good as a full game, obviously, but it gives you a decent picture.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Lovely stuff. Cracking goal too. I remember watching that series at the time on Sky Sports Gold, there was a lot of good footage and easy-going insight from the players of the 60s and 70s.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

The chemistry between them was really something else. I haven't included every typical interaction, but:
  • Breitner's long ball to find Kalle in a dangerous position
  • One-two to put one or the other in front of a goal
  • Kalle being fouled only for Breitner to score a penalty
  • Either one peels out wide only to make a perfect cross for the other to score a header
and many, many others.
Nice video :D I recently discovered a week ago when I was analysing Breitner.

That ridiculous volley prompted us to sign Prodan. Spunked £4m and he never played a game.
Ouch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Semak

He scored 3 goals against PSG in a UEFA cup game, then joined the French club and scored 1 goal in a season.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Semak was a good versatile midfielder with a great workrate, he should have able to do a good job for PSG looking at the players they had back then, but well...Russian players moving abroad. Typical of the era that he came straight back after an initial struggle, albeit he must have been about 29-30 already by that move. It was an odd one as cska were probably better than psg at the time and he has ended up missing their Uefa cup win because of it, having been the captain and leading player for a few seasons.

He had a suprisingly good last part of his career after the psg flop when Hiddink suddenly brought him back to the national team as defensive midfielder, after about two years missing for the friendlies before Euro 2008. He tied the midfield together just in time, after lots of lineup shifts in qualifying trying to find a good balance due to a lot of veteran players like Titov, Smertin and Khokhlov retiring. Then played a big part in Rubin Kazan surprise league wins.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Semak was a good versatile midfielder with a great workrate, he should have able to do a good job for PSG looking at the players they had back then, but well...Russian players moving abroad. Typical of the era that he came straight back after an initial struggle, albeit he must have been about 29-30 already by that move. It was an odd one as cska were probably better than psg at the time and he has ended up missing their Uefa cup win because of it, having been the captain and leading player for a few seasons.

He had a suprisingly good last part of his career after the psg flop when Hiddink suddenly brought him back to the national team as defensive midfielder, after about two years missing for the friendlies before Euro 2008. He tied the midfield together just in time, after lots of lineup shifts in qualifying trying to find a good balance due to a lot of veteran players like Titov, Smertin and Khokhlov retiring. Then played a big part in Rubin Kazan surprise league wins.
Quality post.

PSG was very poor these days for sure, no real tactical plan IIRC

I was just thinking about the case of the player recruited following a great performance against his future employer.

Sylvain Distin (player in 2nd division) was also recruited by PSG following his performance in the final of the France's cup against the Parisian club.

Laurent Robert was a relatively similar story I think

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Great performance. Fantastic goal, and almost scored another brilliant one right after that :drool:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

Enjoyed both the footage and the comments section :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Apparently it was -15c that night in Dortmund. I miss the days when playing in Europe in winter presented a variety of conditions to overcome. You can see how slippy it was and it’s rare for players to be wearing full-leg tights.

Some nice through balls there. I’m obviously biased, but the red card looked a joke.

harms

Staff

One of the best performances by Man United's Holy Trinity — after conceding 2 penalties in the first 9 minutes ( :lol: ) we went ahead and scored 4 goals: 2 by Denis Law, 1 by George Best and 1 by David Herd (with an assist from Best).

Weirdly enough, a year beforehand, also in the FA Cup, we were 2 goals down against Wolves after the first 15 minutes of the game only to win it 3:5, with 2 goals from Denis Law, a goal from George Best and a goal from David Herd (Paddy scored the fifth one though).

Piss poor performance from Manchester United in general and especially from our defense — we have conceded 5 goals, although 3 of them were disallowed, and Chelsea was by far the best side on the pitch. Law & Charlton were uncharacteristically poor and Best was the only United player who had managed to consistently create chances — sadly, he had left his shooting boots at home. Still got an assist when Morgan scored a rebound after one of Best' shots.

Šjor Bepo

could watch this guy all day <3
But what a team, even without Iniesta they destroyed Madrid at Bernabeu. Messi and Xavi were in God mode.

harms

Staff
You can really see that Law was a huge Di Stéfano fan boy (just like that whole United generation to be fair) — works his ass off, tracking back all the way to his own box, always keeps the ball going, plays those quick one-twos... and, of course, scores a brace to put United level with Wolves after we've conceded 2 penalties in the first 9 minutes of the game.

btw, I've promised it to you in the YouTube comments @Joga Bonito, you're certainly going to enjoy it :drool:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
You can really see that Law was a huge Di Stéfano fan boy (just like that whole United generation to be fair) — works his ass off, tracking back all the way to his own box, always keeps the ball going, plays those quick one-twos... and, of course, scores a brace to put United level with Wolves after we've conceded 2 penalties in the first 9 minutes of the game.

btw, I've promised it to you in the YouTube comments @Joga Bonito, you're certainly going to enjoy it :drool:
:drool:. Classic game from Law - predatory instincts and a complete performance. Should have had an assist for Herd and a lovely assist from Crerand for his first.