Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Unlikely. Maybe if I’ll end up with him at some point.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Has anyone ever made an all touch compilation on Guti? I know a few have raved about him in the past, but would be nice to be able to highlight his strengths even more.

harms

Staff
Has anyone ever made an all touch compilation on Guti? I know a few have raved about him in the past, but would be nice to be able to highlight his strengths even more.
Not on this forum, no. He doesn't get picked very often, but he certainly is an intriguing player. Magnificent passer of the ball, even though overall he failed to fulfill his potential.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

God i love this man, human size Coccolino:angel:

Šjor Bepo

If anyone doubts Facchetti's wingback credentials he should watch this game.....Suarez though, class above :drool:

Šjor Bepo

:drool:
The reason i was doing a compilation is purely because i was interested how does he compare with other defensive forwards such as Elkjaer, Seeler, Tevez etc. Stands tall IMO, what impresses the most is not even his workrate(guy never stops running, even when the team is 3 up) but his understanding of the game, when to press, when to block paths toward midfielders, its actually incredible to watch a striker that positions himself that well in defensive setup.

Enigma_87

You know who
Solid defensive performance that!

I've seen couple of highlights from his sweeper days and one thing I noticed is sometimes the unnecessary trying of a hoofball to play out from the back, whereas many simple options are available. Could be managerial instructions, but almost every deep pass he makes is a long one.

Indnyc

:drool:
The reason i was doing a compilation is purely because i was interested how does he compare with other defensive forwards such as Elkjaer, Seeler, Tevez etc. Stands tall IMO, what impresses the most is not even his workrate(guy never stops running, even when the team is 3 up) but his understanding of the game, when to press, when to block paths toward midfielders, its actually incredible to watch a striker that positions himself that well in defensive setup.
Thanks for doing this. He is an incredible player

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Sjor made this compilation of De Bruyne running the show against Chelsea:

And here's Enzo vs Scotland in the 1986 WC. For context, Uruguay needed a draw to qualify for the next stage, and Scotland needed to win. Uruguay managed to get a player red carded in less than a minute, so Enzo was left playing as a lone forward. Some quotes from his opponents stolen from @Joga Bonito :

Sir Alex Ferguson said:
As soon as the Uruguayans were down to ten men, we became nervous and revealed the old Scottish inability to produce the killer thrust. Enzo Francescoli was magnificent for them, playing up front on his own with endless resourcefulness and composure He stood out in a team notable mainly for their malice and shamelessness of their tactics.
Craig Brown said:
A player who gave the greatest performance I've ever seen. Francescoli played our entire back four on his own and, although we finally managed to put some pressure on the Uruguayans later on in the game, we were eliminated.

Tagging @antohan as he might enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
One last time on Overath. People said they only trust moving pictures, so I thought I provide some on Overath's defensive contributions. Two matches here: the 1971 DFB cup final, and Germany - Yugoslavia at the 1974 WC.

1. 1971 DFB cup final against Bayern
The only other Overath match compilation I know of in addition to the one already posted in the match thread.

Here's a list of Overath's defensive actions in that video, including Opta style stats:
0:09 interception + shot

0:18 tackle (unsucc., foul)

1:04 clearance after corner

1:27 interception

1:59 tackle (succ.) in counterpressing

2:15 tackle (unsucc.)

2:19 clearance + interception in the box

2:46 tackle (succ.) & struggle for the ball while down

3:14 blocked pass

3:51 tries to block a shot

4:36 intercepts a cross + pass

4:43 tackle (unsucc.) as last man in the box + clearance

4:52 fights for loose ball at LB position, fouled

5:01 interception in CM

5:37 blocks cross at LB position

6:15 tackle (succ.) in CM

7:05 tackle (succ.) + pass

7:22 picks up Müller's run & stops advance

7:51 secures loose ball at own box

--------------------------

Stats after 90 of 120 minutes:

tackles (att./succ.)....7 / 4

interceptions.. .... ......5

blocks.............. ... ......2

clearances...... . . .......3

So by my count (some instances are always matters of opinion) that's 17 direct actions against the ball + some more that don't feature statistically. No footage of overtime exists except for a short highlight reel, which means complete game stats were likely higher.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
2. 1974 WC second round match against Yugoslavia

No compilation, but the game can be watched on Footballia; time marks refer to that video. I made this one before I found the video above. Since it has more focus on movement (which is usually missing in match compilations), I thought I still post it for a fuller picture.

I have noted down Overath's behaviour against the ball during the first 20 minutes of the game as I see it.
High pressing
0:05 pressing run right after kick off YUG

4:35 YUG defender dispossesses Hölzenbein (?), Overath goes into counter pressing, winning a corner

Positional defending inside defensive formation
0:45 - 1:05 closes down space / passing lanes around ball carrier to protect the center; increasingly moves closer

3:35 - 4:05 defends up front with Müller - shifts position to limit ball carrier's options - finally attempts a tackle, opponent commits a bad pass - then a short dash to help out pressurised teammates playing out of the back (not needed because Müller gets there first)

7:50 defensive position close to the ball in half-left CM/DM - collects the ball after Vogts's tackle

10:50 interception in RMF, chases loose ball, tackle and ball retention

15:10 blocks a long ball in RDM and continues to cover that zone

Tracking runs
6:58 long defensive sprint from CM into the box to help containing Acimovic after long ball (note the pace on that run)

8:40 falls back into midfield during defensive transition - tracks Acimovic's run after long ball at 8:55, but leaves him for Beckenbauer

9:45 tracks back into his own box after free kick situation

14:00 casually shadows Acimovic, makes sure he can't move forward uncovered

14:50 defensive sprint and duel in RMF, prevents Acimovic from breaking through on the wing, fouls the player in the process. Overath pissed off, yelling at the ref

19:00 man marks Acimovic's backwards run into the Yugoslav half, then tracks his deep sprint towards Germany's box

Defensive transition
6:40 moves back into central midfield, scanning the situation

13:40 - 13:50 far away from the ball during the counter, jogs back into CM

16:00 - 16:35 same as above, starts to get active once behind the ball

19:15 covers the Yugoslav ball carrier on the left wing during a counter; reduces passing angles towards the center with his positioning

Miscellaneous
note the pace on the offensive run at 1:32

stays back in DM to provide cover for Beckenbauer's forward movement at 19:40

Outside the timeframe, but Overath's defending on the counter at 22:45 is practically identical with the one at 19:15

These 20 minutes feature many characteristics of Overath in and out of possession. Since the focus here is on defense: We see him defending inside the opposition half, in CM, back into his own box, and on the wings; at the top of the defensive structure as well as deeper inside; he tracks runs (seems to part time man mark the Yugoslav #10, Acimovic); his pace and acceleration are visible in some situations, as are his general determination and situational awareness.

He always seeks to get involved in offense and defense, and positions himself flexibly and intelligently according to each situation and the game's structure. If the relevant opponents are covered, he positions himself in space, within reach of the situation; if the situation requires him to intervene, he does.

------------------

P.S.: Overthinking my earlier posts once again: "perma-angry" was a bit overdramatic. But "committed and intense in offense and defense" is fair, imo.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Tagging @antohan as he might enjoy the trip down memory lane.
Thanks, but more than enjoying it I mostly feel sorry for him. I would give my left nut to have him in our current/recent side which cried out for someone like him.

This picture is a good exec summary. Just earned a corner, keeper and back four been pinned down all game, two midfielders returning for the corner and still no sight of any support :lol:

That's why I loved watching him at River, where he had the company he deserved. He got them their first Libertadores in his first spell, their second Libertadores in his second spell, and now another beating Boca in the final as DoF :eek:

Mind you, in a setting not too dissimilar to the one in this game he managed to deliver three Copa Américas and a runner up out of four outings.

Absolute fecking legend.

harms

Staff
Finally did a big Streltsov compilation. This is my first true career highlights video, so any feedback is welcome.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Superb performance.:drool: Good job as usual

It was really frustrating to have picked him 2 times and not being able to.

By the way, what is the best way to make a video like this? Is it necessary to download something?

I know how to make a streamabale video for example but it doesn't seem this kind of website offer the opportunity to aggregate several videos

harms

Staff
By the way, what is the best way to make a video like this? Is it necessary to download something?
Yeah. They use Windows Movie Maker iirc, if you're a PC guy. iMovie/Final Cut if you're working on Mac.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah. They use Windows Movie Maker iirc, if you're a PC guy. iMovie/Final Cut if you're working on Mac.
Good to know. thanks

Thanks, but more than enjoying it I mostly feel sorry for him. I would give my left nut to have him in our current/recent side which cried out for someone like him.

This picture is a good exec summary. Just earned a corner, keeper and back four been pinned down all game, two midfielders returning for the corner and still no sight of any support :lol:

That's why I loved watching him at River, where he had the company he deserved. He got them their first Libertadores in his first spell, their second Libertadores in his second spell, and now another beating Boca in the final as DoF :eek:

Mind you, in a setting not too dissimilar to the one in this game he managed to deliver three Copa Américas and a runner up out of four outings.

Absolute fecking legend.

I do remember Papin saying the best Olympique Marseille he was part of the following team (1989/90) which was something like that

---------------------Papin
---------- Francescoli-------Waddle
----------- Tigana---- Deschamps --- Germain
Di Meco--- Mozer----Sauzée ----- Amoros

Semi-final of the Champions League against Benfica. Marseille missed so many opportunities to score goals and destroy Benfica of which Vato scored a goal with this hand...

I mean that Francescoli might have won the Champions League in 1990 against the giant Milan.

Šjor Bepo

not a game compilation but im sure a few will enjoy this.
Aspire4sport - Johan Cruyff | Stars Chat

harms

Staff

@Joga Bonito actually had it (it's uploaded on my dailymotion account), but I decided to make Voronin my next big project, so I've been doing compilations of some of his games in a better quality — more to come. When I'll have time, I'll edit my West Germany compilation from the same tournament to fit through youtube's copyright censor.

It's absolutely incredible, the way he completely nullified Eusebio at the very peak of his game. The only positive thing Eusebio ended up doing was scoring a penalty (a brilliant finish that left Yashin no chance) that came from an odd handball — unexplainable moment of Khurtsilava's stupidity.

edit:
one of the Soviet players said:
Voronin had a very good relationship with Eusebio. The latter even left a hefty sum at our hotel bar so that Voronin and his friends could've had a drink
Obviously they didn't have much money and I'm pretty sure that it was forbidden for any of them to change it to pounds. For every Soviet player the delegation had a separate KGB agent — in case they would want to switch sides during the tournament.

harms

Staff
And another one — as different as it can be. Fully unleashed Voronin showcases his flair and creativity in the 1964 Euros final.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Great work harms. Voronin has such a sad story. I'd love to have seen him play with Muntyan in midfield.

Between injuries and disciplinary issues the team that was put together from 65-67 didn't last as long as it should have. You look at the lineup against Italy for Euro '68 where it should have been at its best and it's a depleted one with Voronin, Chislenko, Streltsov, Sabo, Khurtsilava all missing and never really playing together in nt again. Banishevsky and Byshovets did play that game, but neither quite moved on afterward to what was expected.

harms

Staff
Great work harms. Voronin has such a sad story. I'd love to have seen him play with Muntyan in midfield.

Between injuries and disciplinary issues the team that was put together from 65-67 didn't last as long as it should have. You look at the lineup against Italy for Euro '68 where it should have been at its best and it's a depleted one with Voronin, Chislenko, Streltsov, Sabo, Khurtsilava all missing and never really playing together in nt again. Banishevsky and Byshovets did play that game, but neither quite moved on afterward to what was expected.
Chislenko is another one who often gets overlooked. Probably the best natural winger in USSR history. He was great in 1966 aside from the Schnelinger brainfart, but in 1967 he was simply unstoppable. 10 goals for the national team in a year as a winger/wing forward, including 2 goals at Wembley! And then the Czechs busted his knee :( Facchetti was so lucky that he missed him in 1968, Chislenko was one of the few wingers that performed well against him.

harms

Staff

That's pretty much it. Will make a big highlights compilation from all of that groundwork at some point.

harms

Staff

BOBBY MURDOCH went through all sorts of agonies as Celtic gatecrashed the European big-time in Lisbon. Murdoch, thoughtful with a delightful touch as well as possessing a shot of sledgehammer proportions, had his right foot stamped on by a desperate Inter Milan defender early in the game.

The midfielder would later say: “The pain shot right through me. It was probably an accident, but it was a dull one. If there had been outfield substitutes available back then, I might have had to go off. However, as it was, we only had substitute goalkeeper John Fallon on the bench that day. Big Jock told me: “Run it off, Bobby, you’ll be fine.” As the game progressed towards half-time, I looked down and my right ankle seemed to be twice the size it was at the kick-off.

“People must have wondered why I was favouring my left foot that day. Fortunately, I was two-footed, but my right was undoubtedly the stronger of the two. I even managed to get a couple of left-footed shots on target that day, but both were saved.”

Billy McNeill recalls: “As Bobby said at the time, we didn’t have a substitute to cover for him if he had gone off. Listen, there was no way Bobby was going off that day. No chance. He would have played on with his leg hanging off if need be!”