Match Compilations

Yagami

Good post resistant
Loved that video on Olsen

It actually wasn't that long ago I tried searching for videos of him on YouTube and there was nowt. Already the best vid of him on there.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Aerial domination, think he lost his first aerial duel late in the second half seconds after he got injured.....

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

MotM performance against West Germany at the 1986 World Cup. Flawless defensively, brilliant in the build-up & won the game-winning penalty in one of his famous forward runs.
Bossed it. I forget how dominant Denmark were against top opposition at the time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

It's certainly became harder to enjoy him like I did before all the stuff that came up but what a player young Ryan Giggs was! You can see that he's been quite involved in the game even by the length of it alone. Cool outside-of-the-boot finish to put United 1:0, brilliant outside-of-the-boot through-ball to Irwin who crossed it to Cole who made it 2:0... and all of that while running like the Energizer Bunny for the entire 90 minutes, forward and back, forward and back.

Ferguson enthused:
Fergie said:
I was pleased by how some players distinguished themselves and I thought Ryan Giggs was absolutely wonderful. I think he's getting better all the time. He has the balance to penetrate anywhere on the pitch and we have got him to alternate his role, sometimes going wide and sometimes going through the middle which is excellent for us.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

It's certainly became harder to enjoy him like I did before all the stuff that came up but what a player young Ryan Giggs was! You can see that he's been quite involved in the game even by the length of it alone. Cool outside-of-the-boot finish to put United 1:0, brilliant outside-of-the-boot through-ball to Irwin who crossed it to Cole who made it 2:0... and all of that while running like the Energizer Bunny for the entire 90 minutes, forward and back, forward and back.

Ferguson enthused:
Wow, Fergie knew all those years ago that he could penetrate anywhere.

harms

Staff

Probably the best Guti's game for Real Madrid. It was August the 1st 2000 & Real Madrid was playing against AC Milan at San Siro. They weren't able to face their brightest stars like Raul or the newest addition to the squad, Luis Figo. Guti, switching his number 14 shirt for Figo's 10 for this game, led the inexperienced squad against the rossoneri that fielded some of the greatest players in the world at the time — Maldini, Shevchenko, Costacurta, Gattuso, Albertini... Yet it was Guti who shined the brightest — scoring 2 brilliant goals, providing a marvelous assist after a one-two with Morientes and finishing up with arguably his greatest move of the entire game that led to young Samuel Eto'o scoring for Real Madrid.

AC Milan were humiliated at home — the reserve Madrid team won by 5 goals to 1. Berlusconi had only one thought after he game though — he needed to sign that magical Spaniard. He offered to pay him the double of what Madrid was paying him at the time, but Guti refused — a young Madridista was desperate to succeed at his homeclub. He'll end up appearing in 542 official games for them and serving as vice-captain – helping the club to win 15 trophies, most notably three Champions League titles and five La Liga championships, but he never truly fulfil his early promise. Who knows how it all would've turned out if he was to accept Silvio's offer that night.

Šjor Bepo

Probably the best Guti's game for Real Madrid. It was August the 1st 2000 & Real Madrid was playing against AC Milan at San Siro. They weren't able to face their brightest stars like Raul or the newest addition to the squad, Luis Figo. Guti, switching his number 14 shirt for Figo's 10 for this game, led the inexperienced squad against the rossoneri that fielded some of the greatest players in the world at the time — Maldini, Shevchenko, Costacurta, Gattuso, Albertini... Yet it was Guti who shined the brightest — scoring 2 brilliant goals, providing a marvelous assist after a one-two with Morientes and finishing up with arguably his greatest move of the entire game that led to young Samuel Eto'o scoring for Real Madrid.

AC Milan were humiliated at home — the reserve Madrid team won by 5 goals to 1. Berlusconi had only one thought after he game though — he needed to sign that magical Spaniard. He offered to pay him the double of what Madrid was paying him at the time, but Guti refused — a young Madridista was desperate to succeed at his homeclub. He'll end up appearing in 542 official games for them and serving as vice-captain – helping the club to win 15 trophies, most notably three Champions League titles and five La Liga championships, but he never truly fulfil his early promise. Who knows how it all would've turned out if he was to accept Silvio's offer that night.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lovely video and lovely post though just had to....Guti was sensational to watch, one of the best final ball providers i ever saw and thats including oldies as well.

harms

Staff
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lovely video and lovely post though just had to....Guti was sensational to watch, one of the best final ball providers i ever saw and thats including oldies as well.
Yeah, fair enough, originally I only listed Maldini & Sheva :)

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I never liked Albertini either for most of his career, but he did eventually become a midfielder with much more efficient passing decision making, and positioning in the late 90s. He was often really good at that time, but Milan were past their 90s best, and he declined physically quite quickly. Boban played some of his best Milan midfield football at that time too, the three foreigner rule and Capello's simple midfield tactics really held him back.

harms

Staff

Don't mind the clickbait! This is the big Elkjær video.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

brilliant as always, just too short :(
What a player though, pretty much everything i like in football.

harms

Staff
brilliant as always, just too short :(
What a player though, pretty much everything i like in football.
If you want a treat…

If my 1 hour long video won’t be too heavy I can upload it to google-drive or something similar.

Šjor Bepo

If you want a treat…

If my 1 hour long video won’t be too heavy I can upload it to google-drive or something similar.
christmas came early :drool:
just post the link in the convo :)

harms

Staff
An weird thing that I’ve noticed about him is that his technique seemingly improved when he played in Serie A as opposed to his international games (during the same season, so it wasn’t a time-based development) — I guess there was more space in international games so he relied more on his pace while in Italy he had to dribble/do flicks and stuff more often.

His technique was a bit clumsy on the eye but when you look closely & especially when you see him doing the same move again and again, you realize that it’s 100% skill and 0% luck (well, maybe a little more). A bit like it is with Thomas Müller nowadays.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Don't mind the clickbait! This is the big Elkjær video.
His style of playing is a bit similar to Darwin Nunez today. Like you said his technique was a bit clumsy and didn’t look elegant on the ball. His games would be translate well in today games, the ability to drift wide, enormous workrate and athleticism. For me, he fit most in fast-tempo football( or counter attacking team like 07-09 United).

Great clip as always

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Mehmed Bazdarevic in uefa cup semi-final against Videoton and some other clips. A seemingly widely forgotten player internationally,but he's a player i really like and you can see in the Videoton game why this guy has had over 50 caps and was a regular for almost a decade in an era when Yugoslavia strength was its midfielders; he's an excellent neat and tidy central midfielder with vision, technique and tactical intelligence. I've been watching some of the late 80s national team games, especially the 1990 qualifiers, and he's usually at the heart of the midfield in any formation that Osim uses, be it 5-3-2, 4-4-2 or the odd lopsided 5-4-1'ish thing he often uses with Bazdarevic-katanec-Susic central trio and stojkovic off to the right. He's usually the glue that holds everything together, especially if the more defensive Katanec isn't playing and he was still playing the role up until the end of the 92 qualifiers when the national team was banned.

However, he got also banned for a year for spitting on the referee in the second last world cup qualifier against Norway and missed the entire tournament. Add in the 92 ban and the team going through a less than the sum of the parts period in the mid-80s, and you get a really good player that could easily have been a 4-5 tournament stalwart, yet ends up only playing in one. Also had the sort of relatively low visibility club career that was easily possible in those times for even excellent players. Never played for any of the biggest Yugo clubs, then when allowed to move abroad at 27-28'ish didn't exactly secure the ideal move for an international regular player...going to France like a lot of Yugoslav league players did in that era, specifically to Sochaux, a club that had just been relegated. He helped bring them straight back up and into two 4th place finishes, a great result for a smaller club, but it was never a move that was going to bring much glamour.

harms

Staff

A sublime performance in one of the most important games of the season. Juventus and Inter were tied for the first place on 48 points each. Del Piero was injured for Juve & Inter also had issues with fitness but still produced a very impressive line up featuring a formidable defense (Toldo, Zanetti, Cannavaro, Materazzi & Cordoba) and a shiny attack with Vieri, Batistuta & Recoba (midfield was a bit shit though).

Nedved didn't wait long to set the mood for the night — after his free kick Toldo & Guly set up an own goal only 4 minutes in. Inter defenders responded by trying to kick him off the pitch — and nearly succeeding, at some point Nedved even gestured to Lippi that he needs to be subbed off but ended up staying on the pitch. He soon followed with a wonderful goal that caught Toldo completely by surprise. And in the dying moments of the game, with Juve comfortably dominating possession, he set up the last goal of the night — after leaving Zanetti lying on the ground he crossed the ball towards Camoranesi who slotted it in, 3:0.

Šjor Bepo

first time seeing Mozer struggle a bit, poor first half but recovered quickly and went back to being dominant force in the second half

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

first time seeing Mozer struggle a bit, poor first half but recovered quickly and went back to being dominant force in the second half
Finally some chinks in his armour, although he still looked impressive at some points. Let it never be forgotten that I was the first one to ever pick him in drafts*. How did Luc Nilis play?

*possibly.

Šjor Bepo

Finally some chinks in his armour, although he still looked impressive at some points. Let it never be forgotten that I was the first one to ever pick him in drafts*. How did Luc Nilis play?

*possibly.
mixture of my blindness, camera high and picture a bit in the mud had me focus 101% on Mozer so cant tell you really, would say he was okay but not sure really.....Gudjohnsen was their best attacker though, but the fact he is blond could play a big part in that statement.

Pat_Mustard

mixture of my blindness, camera high and picture a bit in the mud had me focus 101% on Mozer so cant tell you really, would say he was okay but not sure really.....Gudjohnsen was their best attacker though, but the fact he is blond could play a big part in that statement.
:lol: Cheers man. Every time I've dabbled with making a video lately it has been shite picture quality that has stopped me in my tracks.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Another one for the Kempes project:

Valencia plays away at Nantes in the 79/80 CWC semis. More info in the description. Kempes scores from a powerful run on the break.

Kempes' on-the-ball game not much to write home about this time, it's in general a "grinding out an away result" performance from Valencia. My takeaways are 1) enormous defensive workrate 2) the midfielder/target man dual role 3) clinicality. I think Kempes gets only three shots the entire game: one from an indirect freekick, the two open game ones he puts away. (Although his late would-be equaliser is falsely flagged offside.)

Different players, but in some ways pretty similar to a typical mid-70s Gerd Müller big game performance.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Valencia plays away at Nantes in the 79/80 CWC semis. More info in the description. Kempes scores from a powerful run on the break.

Kempes' on-the-ball game not much to write home about this time, it's in general a "grinding out an away result" performance from Valencia. My takeaways are 1) enormous defensive workrate 2) the midfielder/target man dual role 3) clinicality. I think Kempes gets only three shots the entire game: one from an indirect freekick, the two open game ones he puts away. (Although his late would-be equaliser is falsely flagged offside.)

Different players, but in some ways pretty similar to a typical mid-70s Gerd Müller big game performance.
Absolute top class player
From I’ve seen, he performed superbly in almost every match of CWC that season. I‘m impressed his work rate a lot.

GodShaveTheQueen

I am guessing you have seen a lot of the Valencia games by now. Did you find the Kempes-Bonhof partnership anything special. It looks good from highlights but would be nice to know from someone who watched the full games.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I am guessing you have seen a lot of the Valencia games by now. Did you find the Kempes-Bonhof partnership anything special. It looks good from highlights but would be nice to know from someone who watched the full games.
Can't say with certainty, tbh. In many older games, all these footballers look the same to me, and I'm happy if I can halfway identify my main research object.

But I didn't really notice a clear partnership between these two. Would have to especially focus on that in the future. Kempes links up well with more or less everyone, and Valencia's late-70s team seems a very collective minded side in general. Lots of interplay, everyone can take the initiative, everyone does defensive work.

I must say in that 1979 CdR final, both Real and Valencia play out from the back more than what I've seen in some 2000s Serie A games. Same goes for Nantes, who look a fast-paced and technical side (and had lots of domestic success around that time). Valencia play more hoof ball there, probably owing to away game tactics.

Šjor Bepo

Pitch like you would expect from Burnley, atrocious and they won the battle(lost the war as HSV beat them in the second leg) tbf as the germans tried to play football in the mud. Uwe classy as ever but struggled cause of the pitch though from all HSV players reckon he enjoyed the game the most, was like pig in the mud. Think he did at least 4 overhead kicks in the game :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Good lord, what a mess. Baffling how none of these chances from close range have gone in. Marquee header at 4:52.

Commentator's banter at HSV docs :lol:
reckon he enjoyed the game the most, was like pig in the mud
:nono: :lol:

Here's Hamburg's comeback win, turning around the 1-3 deficit. Several nice goals, Seeler with a brace and an assist.

Šjor Bepo

Good lord, what a mess. Baffling how none of these chances from close range have gone in. Marquee header at 4:52.

Commentator's banter at HSV docs :lol:

:nono: :lol:

Here's Hamburg's comeback win, turning around the 1-3 deficit. Several nice goals, Seeler with a brace and an assist.
great header in the second leg as well :drool:

GodShaveTheQueen

But I didn't really notice a clear partnership between these two. Would have to especially focus on that in the future.
Cool, do share if you find any interesting insights on the subject in future.

P. S: My Apologies for not responding earlier, didn't get the notification somehow

harms

Staff

First Manchester derby for Roy Keane. He was everywhere and his offensive contribution stood out the most. Also scored the last-minute winner in one of Fergie's trademark comebacks.

Pat_Mustard

First Manchester derby for Roy Keane. He was everywhere and his offensive contribution stood out the most. Also scored the last-minute winner in one of Fergie's trademark comebacks.
Tremendous. He was so powerful and purposeful with his forward runs earlier in his career. Never a particularly natural finisher, but I imagine he'd have scored quite a few more goals if he'd retained that attacking B2B style rather than working on becoming more of a controlling midfielder.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

A bit of peak Figo, taken from Barca's wins in both Clásicos of the 97/98 season. (La Liga says it has to be watched on Youtube.)

Two assists, one goal, and a pre-assist after moving into AM. Note how 3/4 of Figo's final balls are made with his left foot.