Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

After Man City scored 2 goals in the first half, Cantona took the game by the scruff of the neck, scoring twice and leading United to an unlikely victory (Roy Keane would grab the winner right before the final whistle as you may have already seen in my previous video). Speaking about the real King :drool:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

After Man City scored 2 goals in the first half, Cantona took the game by the scruff of the neck, scoring twice and leading United to an unlikely victory (Roy Keane would grab the winner right before the final whistle as you may have already seen in my previous video). Speaking about the real King :drool:
:lol:

Some king would get mad at it.

harms

Staff

Some wonderful skills by young Michael Laudrup — I only took the footage from the 1980's.

harms

Staff

Outstanding performance by Stanley Matthews and one of the rare opportunities to enjoy him at a relatively young age of 38 :lol:
On the field full of well-performing world stars — Nordahl, Kubala, Ocwirk, Boniperti, Zebec, Vukas, Beara — he had shone the brightest.

The game itself is a must-watch. Illegal substitution that was almost made without the referee noticing, ref getting KO'd by Čajkovski's thunderball, Beara bossing it, Nordahl showing the level of technical ability and build-up play that I haven't expected from him at all, Ocwirk, Čajkovski, Boniperti, Zebec & Vukas all performing brilliantly...

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Outstanding performance by Stanley Matthews and one of the rare opportunities to enjoy him at a relatively young age of 38 :lol:
On the field full of well-performing world stars — Nordahl, Kubala, Ocwirk, Boniperti, Zebec, Vukas, Beara — he had shone the brightest.

The game itself is a must-watch. Illegal substitution that was almost made without the referee noticing, ref getting KO'd by Čajkovski's thunderball, Beara bossing it, Nordahl showing the level of technical ability and build-up play that I haven't expected from him at all, Ocwirk, Čajkovski, Boniperti, Zebec & Vukas all performing brilliantly...
any chance a blind man can do a comp for Vukas? for some reason i reckon it would be impossible

harms

Staff
any chance a blind man can do a comp for Vukas? for some reason i reckon it would be impossible
It actually won't be that hard but I've only done Matthews & Kubala.
It's not that difficult to distinguish Vukas from Nordahl (the tallest one) and Kubala (with short shorts) + he has a 10 on his back and you can spot the difference between 2 digits and 1 (Nordahl is a 9 and Kubala is an 8). Zebec & Boniperti are also quite distinctive in their appearance while Ocwirk & Cajkovski don't go forward much.

Šjor Bepo

It actually won't be that hard but I've only done Matthews & Kubala.
It's not that difficult to distinguish Vukas from Nordahl (the tallest one) and Kubala (with short shorts) + he has a 10 on his back and you can spot the difference between 2 digits and 1 (Nordahl is a 9 and Kubala is an 8). Zebec & Boniperti are also quite distinctive in their appearance while Ocwirk & Cajkovski don't go forward much.
hmm, will try it while im doing Beara, that i cant feck up.....i think.

harms

Staff

Ridiculous performance — much better than the one against Villa. Sadly, the footage only includes the 2nd half, but it's insane — an 18-years old, making his first international appearance, looks like peak Frank fecking Rijkaard that was taken straight from the 1980's and put back into the 1950's without any adjustments to the level of athleticism & training.

His first touch passing is beautiful.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Wonderful stuff.
an 18-years old, making his first international appearance, looks like peak Frank fecking Rijkaard that was taken straight from the 1980's and put back into the 1950's without any adjustments to the level of athleticism & training.
Apt comparison. What a player he could (no, would) have been :(
Yeah, and on a 50s pitch, etc.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
think that the pitch was pretty good as most players had a good control of the ball
Yeah, you're right, the ball seems to roll well on a second look.

But another thing I noticed now is how naturally he uses his left foot (long ball at 0:37, shot attempt at 2:20, several other situations).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Some impressive passing range. Liked the defending on the wrong side of the winger at 3.10, where he just bullies him.

think that the pitch was pretty good as most players had a good control of the ball
Aye, Wembley was usually in good condition.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

Ridiculous performance — much better than the one against Villa. Sadly, the footage only includes the 2nd half, but it's insane — an 18-years old, making his first international appearance, looks like peak Frank fecking Rijkaard that was taken straight from the 1980's and put back into the 1950's without any adjustments to the level of athleticism & training.

Imagine this guy reached his full-potential, he would be untouchable in midfield-position.

harms

Staff

Sets up 4 out of 7 goals that England put past Scotland that night. The man was a machine — he shows some nice skills in deeper positions and even appears centrally a couple of times but when he finds himself isolated one on one against left back, he beats him and puts a dangerous cross 9 times out of 10.

Šjor Bepo

:drool:
Very impressive, shame its a circus game but feck it, finally a chance to see him in a game! Very proactive style, quick of the line, commanding the box, lots of short passes(some with his weaker foot!) and one great save.

harms

Staff

He was a few centimetres away from scoring a hat-trick at Wembley — his shot near the end hit the woodwork instead of going inside. Still, a wonderful performance — probably the best out of the whole Rest of the World XI and it was a tough choice!

A fascinating watch, especially when you can see Kubala doing his trademark upper-body wiggling trick that looks more like something from boxing rather from football... but if it works, it works. His second goal is absolutely sublime as well, it's a shame that the quality is so poor.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

He was a few centimetres away from scoring a hat-trick at Wembley — his shot near the end hit the woodwork instead of going inside. Still, a wonderful performance — probably the best out of the whole Rest of the World XI and it was a tough choice!

A fascinating watch, especially when you can see Kubala doing his trademark upper-body wiggling trick that looks more like something from boxing rather from football... but if it works, it works. His second goal is absolutely sublime as well, it's a shame that the quality is so poor.
That guy heavy roller has some great unwatched stuff from the 50's and 60's by probably almost everyone.

harms

Staff
That guy heavy roller has some great unwatched stuff from the 50's and 60's by probably almost everyone.
Thankfully England loved to challenge themselves in those days :)
But yeah, his collection is insane (although I'm so angry about the watermark — at least do something beautiful, not a fecking comic sans :o)

GodShaveTheQueen

Thankfully England loved to challenge themselves in those days :)
But yeah, his collection is insane (although I'm so angry about the watermark — at least do something beautiful, not a fecking comic sans :o)
He even uploaded a couple of minutes of an England Italy game from 1949. Wish he had uploaded the full game, would have been close to peak Finney. Still a couple of glimpses of Finney from the right pulling off great stuff.

harms

Staff
He even uploaded a couple of minutes of an England Italy game from 1949. Wish he had uploaded the full game, would have been close to peak Finney. Still a couple of glimpses of Finney from the right pulling off great stuff.

Yeah, I’ve seen it — and that bit on the right didn’t make it into any other highlights.

harms

Staff
“We played out of our skins but you could have chucked a handful of rice at Peter Schmeichel that night and he would have kept out every grain,” says Keegan. “It was the greatest goalkeeping performance I had ever witnessed.”

“Peter was unbelievable as he thwarted Newcastle time and again,” writes Ferguson. “Our first concerted attack did not come until just before the interval. It was a relief to gather in the dressing room and take stock of our position.”

GodShaveTheQueen

“We played out of our skins but you could have chucked a handful of rice at Peter Schmeichel that night and he would have kept out every grain,” says Keegan. “It was the greatest goalkeeping performance I had ever witnessed.”

“Peter was unbelievable as he thwarted Newcastle time and again,” writes Ferguson. “Our first concerted attack did not come until just before the interval. It was a relief to gather in the dressing room and take stock of our position.”

Good performance but peak De Gea was making twice or more the number of goal saving contributions week in week out. Keegan seems a bit overstretching it calling it (one of) the greatest goalkeeping performance(s). Didn't see that many difficult saves as well. Still flawless performance of course (except for that De Gea - esque clearance at the end giving the ball straight back to the opponent not very far from the box)

harms

Staff
Good performance but peak De Gea was making twice or more the number of goal saving contributions week in week out. Keegan seems a bit overstretching it calling it (one of) the greatest goalkeeping performance(s). Didn't see that many difficult saves as well. Still flawless performance of course (except for that De Gea - esque clearance at the end giving the ball straight back to the opponent not very far from the box)
The first save is so much better from the original angle but I've had to leave it out due to copyright issues, only leaving replays from other angles that don't give it justice.

As for the performance — the context & the importance of it is what elevates a "simple" flawless performance to an almost unmatched level. De Gea's performances, sadly, never were that important even though it's not his fault.

GodShaveTheQueen

As for the performance — the context & the importance of it is what elevates a "simple" flawless performance to an almost unmatched level. De Gea's performances, sadly, never were that important even though it's not his fault.
Fair.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Lovely stuff. Big Pete and Cantona really got us over the line that season. I found myself watching one of his Brondby matches last week. Conceded 3 goals against a brilliant Marseille team but was individually excellent, particularly in dealing with crosses. Made me very wistful, frankly.

harms

Staff
Another game with 18-years old Duncan Edwards — this time its 45 minutes of footage of England U-23 playing against their Italian counterparts. Other standouts from that game are Billy Foulkes and Johnny Haynes — I've made the compilation of the latter, will post it later.

Šjor Bepo

Classy as ever, unsung hero of the 02 World Cup. Alongside Kahn dragged a distinguishably average german side to the WC final where he got beat mostly thanks to a individual mistakes of Hamann and Kahn.

Pat_Mustard

Password: 123

Roy Keane vs Real Madrid in the 2000 CL Quarter Final 2nd Leg - the (in)famous Redondo-inspired 3-2 defeat. We were up against it from the get-go here after failing to score an away goal in the goalless first leg. Fergie has subsequently expressed his regret that he didn't switch to a 4-3-3 after seeing Real's unexpected formation, and the course of the match reflects that - we just couldn't get close to Redondo and McManaman quickly enough, and were regularly undone on the counter. We created plenty though, and it's not as outrageous as it sounds to suggest that we could have won that match. If Karanka had rightfully conceded a penalty and got sent off for handball when we were only 1-0 down then the outcome could have been very different. The heart and desire of that Utd team was very much in evidence, with Keane at the vanguard as he surged forward more than usual as we chased the match. He was unfortunate with the own goal, should have done better with a wayward finish after doing the hard work and getting in a great position, but he drove us forward relentlessly, in generally acquitted himself well in his 1v1 duels. It was Redondo's night, but Keane wasn't too shabby himself.

GodShaveTheQueen

Password: 123

Roy Keane vs Real Madrid in the 2000 CL Quarter Final 2nd Leg - the (in)famous Redondo-inspired 3-2 defeat. We were up against it from the get-go here after failing to score an away goal in the goalless first leg. Fergie has subsequently expressed his regret that he didn't switch to a 4-3-3 after seeing Real's unexpected formation, and the course of the match reflects that - we just couldn't get close to Redondo and McManaman quickly enough, and were regularly undone on the counter. We created plenty though, and it's not as outrageous as it sounds to suggest that we could have won that match. If Karanka had rightfully conceded a penalty and got sent off for handball when we were only 1-0 down then the outcome could have been very different. The heart and desire of that Utd team was very much in evidence, with Keane at the vanguard as he surged forward more than usual as we chased the match. He was unfortunate with the own goal, should have done better with a wayward finish after doing the hard work and getting in a great position, but he drove us forward relentlessly, in generally acquitted himself well in his 1v1 duels. It was Redondo's night, but Keane wasn't too shabby himself.
Why is it password protected? Copyrights?

Pat_Mustard

Why is it password protected? Copyrights?
Youtube blocked it due to an automatic copyright claim by UEFA before it was even published. God knows what's going on with Dailymotion. When it finally uploaded without crashing they didn't give me the option to have the video public - private or password protected only. Such a shit site.

harms

Staff

Another colossal international performance by Stanley Matthews in one of the rare games where he and Tom Finney actually featured together. Due to some erratic finishing by his partners he only provides one assist but his dribbling rans, especially near the end of the game, are just sublime. He dominated pretty much every game that I've seen him in which is just ridiculous considering that the only footage that exists is of the 39-40+ years old Matthews, far from his physical peak. He was playing against Germany even before the 18 years old Seeler (also on the pitch) was born.

Šjor Bepo

a bit hit and miss(was 17 at the time) but interesting watch considering its the total opposite of what he played at his peak. @oneniltothearsenal might like it cause its still God.
Otherwise, Marco Van Basten is pure class. Actually unreal how good the guy is and its a absolute farce more often then not he is just seen as a n9.