Match Compilations

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

His ability to somehow create an opportunity for himself to take a shot in most unlikeliest of situations really was second to none. All 3 of his goals were pretty straight-forward but some of his acrobatic attempts throughout the game, including a scorpion kick, were simply magical :drool:
the thing i like the most is his movement, its truly exceptional and not only in the final third - all over the pitch. Almost like every move he makes is a correct one.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Edmundo for Palmeiras vs Sao Paulo in the 1994 Campeonato Brasileiro. A constant threat with the ball at his feet. Scores twice. Gets sent off. Sparks mass brawl that ends with FIVE more players getting red carded. Standard practice.

Was having so much watching this that I didn't even bother turning on tonight's CL matches until the last half hour. Young Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Edmundo and Zinho for Palmeiras, and Alemao and Cafu (in a tasty flank battle with R. Carlos) for Sao Paulo :drool:.

Šjor Bepo

Edmundo for Palmeiras vs Sao Paulo in the 1994 Campeonato Brasileiro. A constant threat with the ball at his feet. Scores twice. Gets sent off. Sparks mass brawl that ends with FIVE more players getting red carded. Standard practice.

Was having so much watching this that I didn't even bother turning on tonight's CL matches until the last half hour. Young Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Edmundo and Zinho for Palmeiras, and Alemao and Cafu (in a tasty flank battle with R. Carlos) for Sao Paulo :drool:.
how shit was Carlos?
Also, Edmundo :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

He'll never stop to amaze me, really. Played in a very tactically limited right wing role and still stole the show (despite van Basten scoring a hat-trick). Poor Pessotto!

Pat_Mustard

He'll never stop to amaze me, really. Played in a very tactically limited right wing role and still stole the show (despite van Basten scoring a hat-trick). Poor Pessotto!
What a ridiculously complete footballer. Brilliant stuff. Also, I enjoyed Rijkaard's unexpected, less than Zidane-like pirouette :lol:

harms

Staff
What a ridiculously complete footballer. Brilliant stuff. Also, I enjoyed Rijkaard's unexpected, less than Zidane-like pirouette :lol:
He did it one or two times more in that game, he was clearly having fun!

harms

Staff

Just so classy. The biggest game in Serie A (Roma will finish 2nd only 3 point behind Juve), marketed as Platini vs Falcão (The King vs The Eight King of Rome), and he goes on and does it — a goal, an assist, another marvelous pass that probably should've earned them a penalty and simply an overall brilliant playmaking performance by Le Roi.

harms

Staff
Excellent defensive performance, neat in the build-up and an obligatory assist by Brehme

harms

Staff

Cruyff starts in a free midfield role but soon drops even deeper — for the entirety of the second half he was playing as a full-time libero.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

No one apart from Gio is going to watch this, but I'd highly recommend it though, nonetheless :lol:.

An excellent display from Souness and it's a pity that there's very little footage of him online. I do recall a thread on the United forum (regarding Pogba and the whole put your medals on the table issue) and people just saw him as a clogger who was 'dirty' and only good for 50 yard backward passes to the goalie. I'm exaggerating here obviously, but you get the point.

Anyways, do notice his two-footedness, ball control, press-resistance and astute passing in this compilation.

Spot on, it was a high octane fixture with tackles flying about, with your typical 'flair' players struggling to impose themselves on the game. In that aspect, Souness's performance really stood out here, as he was the calming influence for Scotland, which enabled them to slowly grab the foothold in this match. I'd rated his ball playing ability (relative to other players of his ilk) but this was the first time that I'd really seen it in that light so it was intriguing to say the least.

That being said, I do think he lacks a wee bit in dynamism and covering of the pitch, relative to the likes of Keane, Mackay, Robson etc but perhaps, I do need to watch more of Souness from the late seventies.
See the Scottish FA shared this one on their Scottish National Team Facebook page yesterday

harms

Staff
See the Scottish FA shared this one on their Scottish National Team Facebook page yesterday
Lovely! Although I’m so bitter that they’ve reuploaded it instead of linking it directly to YouTube :o

harms

Staff
Yet another full game by Edwards — against the snake-legged Didi (who humiliated poor England's keeper with one of his trick shots)!

Šjor Bepo

Yet another full game by Edwards — against the snake-legged Didi (who humiliated poor England's keeper with one of his trick shots)!

how many unsuccessful nutmegs did he had in a game?

harms

Staff
how many unsuccessful nutmegs did he had in a game?
Haven’t kept count but probably a couple. His shot was hilarious, you just know that Matthews (the keeper) simply wasn’t aware that the balls can fly that way :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

This time his defending stands out the most for me. And I guess we can imagine his style quite well from this comp, a dominant DM with a strong all-action BTB game.

Beyond his freak physicality, he clearly has outstanding defensive anticipation and timing, intercepting & winning tackles by being a split-second ahead of his opponents. He then uses the dynamic of his defensive charges to instantly turn the momentum around with an attacking pass or driving run.

I know it sounds weird at first, but all of this reminds me a bit of an oversized Kante with additional passing range.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
This time his defending stands out the most for me. And I guess we can imagine his style quite well from this comp, a dominant DM with a strong all-action BTB game.

Beyond his freak physicality, he clearly has outstanding defensive anticipation and timing, intercepting & winning tackles by being a split-second ahead of his opponents. He then uses the dynamic of his defensive charges to instantly turn the momentum around with an attacking pass or driving run.

I know it sounds weird at first, but all of this reminds me a bit of an oversized Kante with additional passing range.
Yeah, the more I watch him the more I become convinced that he'd be a monstrous defensive midfielder with the additional threat of those incisive runs forward (and very good passing — he was slightly inconsistent in it but you can see that his ceiling was very high). It's quite incredible that the things that footballers improve most with age & experience at — understanding of the game, anticipation, behavior under pressure, came so natural for him.

Rijkaard is still my first comparison though. Just this incredible brute strength that they both possessed... I loved the moment at the end when a Brazilian striker tried to do an overhead kick while Edwards headed the ball out of the box, the striker kicked him in the head with his boot and Edwards just ran forward like nothing even happened, he did not even flinch.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
It's quite incredible that the things that footballers improve most with age & experience at — understanding of the game, anticipation, behavior under pressure, came so natural for him.
Yeah, the level of ability and natural command over the game is outstanding, and he was a freaking 19 year old freshman in these games. I think with this footage it's clear that Bobby Charlton's praise wasn't just compliments for a fallen comrade, but simply the truth. Great work on these comps. Even if it's as niche as it gets, I find it a real step forward for football historicism.
Rijkaard is still my first comparison though. Just this incredible brute strength that they both possessed...
Yep, that's the other one. I just thought "a mix between Rijkaard and Kante" sounds like too much hyperbole :lol: But that's actually where I'm at.

(The Kante reference seems less obvious for their vastly different physical appearances, but I think in terms of defensive football brain and intercepting/tackling/transition style it's apt.)

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Some footage of Willy van der Kuijlen, the PSV legend and all-time Eredivisie top scorer. He's one of the players i wasn't already too familiar with that most caught my attention, after watching through the compilations on this account. He was among the psv players from the Cruyff era that were involved in feuds with Cruyff, and didn't get too many caps partially because of it, though watching him play, it's quite likely he wouldn't have easily fit anyway.

He seems to have often played the broadly same role to Cruyff, regardless of either as the false 9, attacking midfield or part of a front 2. Basically the attacking line player that wants to drop deeper and have a free role, drifting about dictating attacking play. However, he's only got "typical player" average pace and agility, compared to Cruyff being elite there, so was never likely to win that selection battle and play in his main position even if they had been best friends. His vision and passing are top tier though, albeit lots of risks and verticality as was typical for the era. The style being more like Platini or maybe Barca era Luis Suarez or even a two-footed, non physical Van hanegem; a more classic slower pace orchestrator common of those era's but one that covers a wide area and always finds space with smart movement, and good slow dribbling moments.

To be fair, he is around 30 in these clips, with a lot of games already played, so was probably pacier/more agile earlier, but i doubt he was ever a fast player. He was also known for very powerful two-footed shooting that brought his consistent goal threat (along with set pieces i'm guessing, from some other highlights and the fact he takes almost all of them in these games) which you can see a bit of in these clips, though there's only one goal and i wouldn't necessarily have placed him as a prolific goalscorer from solely them, nor even primarily a forward line player.

the footage isn't the best quality, and the editing isn't nearly as consistent as posters like harms or sjor bepo, so can be confusing initially, but they are worth a watch.

This one more of a grind on a mudbath pitch, probably the least worthwhile

harms

Staff

The legendary performance against Brazil that secured his Ballon d’Or that year.

Johnny Haynes asked Stanley Matthews for his autograph in the dressing-room before this match against Brazil. The Maestro's hands were shaking so much that he could not hold the pen properly, and he asked Johnny to wait until after the game! Stanley was really wound up for this one because the Brazilians had stressed in the pre-match build-up that there was not a player in the world who could get the better of the great Nilton Santos. But as good a player as Santos was, he could not get near Stanley who was in untouchable form. At the end of the game Nilton was sporting enough to say, "Mister Matthews, you are the king."

Pat_Mustard

The legendary performance against Brazil that secured his Ballon d’Or that year.

Johnny Haynes asked Stanley Matthews for his autograph in the dressing-room before this match against Brazil. The Maestro's hands were shaking so much that he could not hold the pen properly, and he asked Johnny to wait until after the game! Stanley was really wound up for this one because the Brazilians had stressed in the pre-match build-up that there was not a player in the world who could get the better of the great Nilton Santos. But as good a player as Santos was, he could not get near Stanley who was in untouchable form. At the end of the game Nilton was sporting enough to say, "Mister Matthews, you are the king."
Lovely stuff. It was interesting to see Nilton attacking into the final third early on, and Matthews not only tracking him all the way but retrieving the ball and playing his way out of trouble really nicely. I watched the first half hour or so if the match after @Synco mentioned that it was now online and the commentator suggested that this tracking back had become a regular occurrence from Matthews.

I was really impressed by Tommy Taylor from what I saw. Some of Haynes' passing was lovely. Didi was very hit and miss in those early stages. I must try and watch the rest of it soon.

harms

Staff
Lovely stuff. It was interesting to see Nilton attacking into the final third early on, and Matthews not only tracking him all the way but retrieving the ball and playing his way out of trouble really nicely. I watched the first half hour or so if the match after @Synco mentioned that it was now online and the commentator suggested that this tracking back had become a regular occurrence from Matthews.

I was really impressed by Tommy Taylor from what I saw. Some of Haynes' passing was lovely. Didi was very hit and miss in those early stages. I must try and watch the rest of it soon.
Haynes was the undoubted MotM, just an insanely gifted player. I have his compilation ready.

Nìlton was brilliant in the build-up and pretty smart in his defending, usually avoiding 1 on 1 situations against Matthews — you can hear a commentator say that the ironic cheers when Matthews got the ball in the second half were because he was completely isolated for a while — that’s completely on Nìlton.

Djalma was also taking a piss on another flank — sombreros, backheels etc., you name it, he’s done it. It was interesting to see him without Garrincha ahead of him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Djalma was also taking a piss on another flank — sombreros, backheels etc., you name it, he’s done it. It was interesting to see him without Garrincha ahead of him.
Nice, would count that as further confirmation of my own impressions. Said a few times I see him as a full-range attacking (edit: perhaps "modern" is the better term) fullback at heart, restricted by tactics, not by ability. There's just so much pent-up energy in his game, which I reckon could have been released under different tactical orders.

He's surely one of the most technically gifted fullbacks I've watched, plus an impressive athlete, very proactive and tactically smart at the same time. I reckon he would have been as great as a one man flank dominator as he was on pure defensive terms.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Haynes was the undoubted MotM, just an insanely gifted player. I have his compilation ready.
Lovely stuff. Looking forward to bringing to life everything I’ve read of 50s and 60s football in the UK where Haynes is invariably rated as the best about by his peers and the media. His legacy is not quite what it could have been without the World Cup or European success, but that was circumstantial and shouldn’t diminish just how good he apparently was.

harms

Staff
As promised @Gio

3 assists (or 2 assists and technically a pre-assist but it was the pass that made the goal), hit the crossbar and also won 2 penalties. England had somehow managed to miss both and still win 4 goals to 2! It's quite incredible just how much talent England had around the time — and most of those were young(ish) ones as well: Haynes was only 21, Edwards & Charlton were 19, Taylor 24...

Šjor Bepo

Far from a good game from him but still scored 2 in extra time to win the cup. Though whole Ajax was very poor, specially Rijkaard who played like McFred was morphed into one.

harms

Staff

A big compilation on Suárez. As far as playmaking midfielders go, the man could do it all. One-touch flicks, dribbling, short & long passing, marvelous shooting ability, crossing (especially from the right). Gem of a player.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
polar opposite of xaviesta though:D
Was about to say that.

Great work @harms , I think the music made me enjoy the compilation a lot more.

Would it be fair to call him closer to KdB in his Barca days reflected in the video, closer to Pirlo in his Inter days.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Excellent work and music @harms

What impresses him the most on his Inter days is defensive discipline. He always tracked back and positioned himself correctly(he's not a lazy deep-playmaker, that's why I appreciate about him ).

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Would it be fair to call him closer to KdB in his Barca days reflected in the video, closer to Pirlo in his Inter days.
It's really hard to compare him to anyone. He dribbles a lot more than De Bruyne but it's probably a fair comparison considering how both of them loved those inside channels (especially crossing from the right).

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

A big compilation on Suárez. As far as playmaking midfielders go, the man could do it all. One-touch flicks, dribbling, short & long passing, marvelous shooting ability, crossing (especially from the right). Gem of a player.
What a baller. He has a way of constantly throwing his markers off balance, really playing with their reactions. There's always a surprise in his moves, his timing, his choices, and it leaves them -> :houllier:

harms

Staff
Already past his physical best and clearly a bit overweight yet still as decisive as ever. Scored 2 goals, hit the post & gave a penalty to Careca, missing out on a hat-trick (the whole sequence started with one of the best passes by Diego that you'll ever see).

The best bit:

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Already past his physical best and clearly a bit overweight yet still as decisive as ever. Scored 2 goals, hit the post & gave a penalty to Careca, missing out on a hat-trick (the whole sequence started with one of the best passes by Diego that you'll ever see).

The best bit:
Lovely performance from Diego :drool: