Match Compilations

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The club blocked my Robson vs Barcelona compilation :(

harms

Staff
Not that it matters to anyone else but it looks like the club had lifted the ban on the Robson's video after my appeal! :drool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Seeler vs. Santos 1962

A discussion in the last draft has made me take interest in 1960s Uwe Seeler. I think this match compilation of him hasn't been posted yet. I can only recommend watching that game in full, as it features (young) prime Pelé and prime Seeler on the same pitch, and a highly entertaining contest between two very different teams. Also, Seeler's video compilation is missing several scenes.

While I guess Pelé's qualities are generally known, that draft game discussion gave me the impression Seeler's overall game might be somewhat underrated. In this game he can showcase his full repertoire: It finishes 3-3, with Seeler assisting twice and scoring the third, hitting the woodwork on another attempt, while acting as a playmaking allround attacking player throughout.*

Seeler

My main takeaway is that Seeler is showing himself to be more than "just" the hardworking center forward he's mainly remembered as. He's the central figure in Hamburg's attacking play, albeit in a different style to Pelé (which goes for the teams as well). His role can perhaps best be described as "transition playmaker cum center forward". Whenever Hamburg wins the ball, he makes himself available in midfield (sometimes deep in Hamburg's half, sometimes higher up) to carry the attack, which he then does in a direct and efficient manner.

The amount of ground he covers and the range of options at his disposal are impressive. During the game he can be seen orchestrating attacks from CM, shaking off his markers with technical ease, playing passes from AM (his assists are two perfect through balls), attacking over both wings & whipping in crosses, shooting from distance, and of course pushing into the box to occupy the CF position.

He does all of this with great intensity, and he wins the ball in pressing multiple times. At the same time he's creative, but in a pragmatic and fast-paced way rather than a flamboyant one.

His aerial game was discussed during the last draft, and this match shows why he's seen as one of the best ever in that regard, despite his lack of height. He's a constant menace for Santos's defenders on high balls and crosses, and his goal is a brilliantly taken header in typical fashion. (His meager aerial stats in this game have to do with me counting several successful heading attempts as shots, not aerial duels. No idea how Opta handles this.)

Match compilations & stats

(compilation is incomplete)

Match stats for Seeler & Pelé, give and take a few miscountings. ~10 minutes of the game are missing in the video, so stats are for ~80 minutes:

__________________________Seeler________Pelé

touches_____________________85__________72

passes att. / succ._________57/43 (75%)___46/35 (76%)

assists + key passes__________4 + 2________0 + 2

shots (on target + on post)__11 (4 + 1)______9 (4 + 0)

goals________________________1___________2

dribbles att. / succ._____________3/3_________7/4

aerial duels total / won__________9/2_________1/0

turnovers_____________________4___________5

fouls won_____________________1___________1

tackles att. / succ.______________3/2_________3/3

interceptions___________________5__________-

clearances_____________________-__________-

blocks_________________________-__________1

------------------
* Of course this is an exhibition match, and probably hasn't got the same defensive intensity as a high-profile competitive one. But it still helps to highlight Seeler's general style & role in that HSV team. More definite hints about his peak performance level may be obtained from other games.

This match nevertheless seems close enough to a "real" game, as both teams clearly want to prove themselves and win. If it is representative in any way, Santos's friendlies against European top teams should definitely be taken seriously.

harms

Staff
Yeah, it's a great game and this compilation is relatively well-known here. Seeler's playmaking qualities are probably a little understated here — he was equally fantastic in 1966, where he created many goals for Beckenbauer and Haller. Really one of the most complete strikers ever — and also one of the least selfish ones, despite scoring close to 600 goals.

I personally take those friendly games as serious as the competitive ones.

harms

Staff
I genuinely think that this is one of the best performance at Old Trafford by any opposition player. A good idea for a thread, actually.

harms

Staff
I finally finished it. I would appreciate any feedback — I'd like to get better at those. Too long? Needs more/less focus on some aspects of his game? Anything. Cheers!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I finally finished it. I would appreciate any feedback — I'd like to get better at those. Too long? Needs more/less focus on some aspects of his game? Anything. Cheers!

That was excellent mate. I don't really have any constructive criticism tbh. I get your concerns over the length - with the all-touches videos I've done I tend to err on the side of too little off the ball stuff rather than too much for brevity, as it seems a bit self-defeating for the video to end up brutally long when the whole idea is for it be concise. Worst one I ever did was Maicon vs Juve which topped out at 15 minutes+. Boring as feck to make and to watch despite him scoring a brilliant goal. I suppose it illustrated very well quite how influential he was to that Inter team but realistically no-one really wants to watch 1/6 of a highly forgettable match. In this case though the length is fine - you're not going to get many casual viewers given the subject matter so far better to make something comprehensive instead, and you've done a fine job.

Incidentally, has anyone done a better job in the draft community at elevating a player's reputation than you and @Joga Bonito with Voronin? I did a search and he did appear in some of the earliest drafts, but in the past year or two he seems to have went from relative obscurity on here to the equal of any DM bar Rijkaard.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Wow, what a player.

It feels like a pretty wholesome first overview on what he did on the pitch, which is quite a feat for just one video. A video catering to the usual youtube attention span would probably have to be limited to 4-6 minutes, but that would have seriously compromised the content. It maybe could have been edited down to 3/4 of its length without losing much, but I like it as it is.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

Congratulations on finishing your Voronin project.

It's a spectacular watch.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@harms Exceptional stuff. Great musical choices too, completely unlike most youtube vids with the poor thump thumpy dance tracks.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Yeah, for some reason they reacted with a bit of a delay. I'll delete the post-match celebrations, they seem to be a problem.
Ah okay, it's automatized. Wondered about the super fast reaction, but it wasn't actually that quick then. Good luck, would love to see it.

harms

Staff
Meh, they've figured out my little trick and blocked it anyway :(
I've submitted a dispute but it's not likely that they'll approve it.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Meh, they've figured out my little trick and blocked it anyway :(
I've submitted a dispute but it's not likely that they'll approve it.
:( Can you upload it on Daily Motion or Vimeo? Also hasn't the copyright run out yet?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I had a chance to watch the video before it was blocked. I have to admit it was hard for me to really make out Puskas' brilliance there, as the football looks kind of bumpy and random. It's probably the footage more than the actual football, because I've seen games from the early 60s in which the dynamic of the game was much more perceivable. Watching it a second time might have helped too, but youtube prevented that.

harms

Staff
I had a chance to watch the video before it was blocked. I have to admit it was hard for me to really make out Puskas' brilliance there, as the football looks kind of bumpy and random. It's probably the footage more than the actual football, because I've seen games from the early 60s in which the dynamic of the game was much more perceivable. Watching it a second time might have helped too, but youtube prevented that.
It should be available now, while the appeal is active. There was a huge change from the late 50’s to mid 60’s in terms of the game’s organization and pace though.

And you have to keep in mind, that it wasn't peak Puskas. He had definitely lost a lot of his mobility, but his finishing was so good that he managed to score 4 goals in that game.

harms

Staff
UEFA lifted all of the restrictions after reviewing my appeal — at least there's no mention of copyrighted material in the video anymore. That's 2 out of 2 (although I haven't expected UEFA to give in, unlike Manchester United)!

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
UEFA lifted all of the restrictions after reviewing my appeal — at least there's no mention of copyrighted material in the video anymore. That's 2 out of 2 (although I haven't expected UEFA to give in, unlike Manchester United)!

I haven't watched your compilation fully yet as I just started.

But when I watched the game before, you do get the feeling that 'Di Stefano not letting others express themselves' is not really true.

Puskas didn't feel like a pure poacher to me and I saw him drop deep so many times.

Maybe he was capable of doing more than that, but the general consensus about Di Stefano and fits seemed really over stretched.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Before the semi, Bobby Robson said, ‘When you lose the ball, ideally you want Gazza to pick [Lothar] Matthäus up’ and Gazza went, ‘who’s he?’ I’d be sitting in my room watching a game and he’d come and in and say, ‘Oh not the football on again’.”

and he wasnt far from the truth, Matthaus at his very best as a complete package got man marked out of the game and turned into a defensive midfielder. England and specially Gazza didnt deserve to lose that game.

harms

Staff
And another copyright appeal won :drool: Haven't even disguised the goal, just went straight to the fair use argument.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@harms @Šjor Bepo

Very good videos, enjoyed watching them. I like it when defensive movement and scenic context is included (Sjor even cranked it up a notch). It gives a much more complete picture of a player's performance & overall traits.

On Gascoigne: I knew he had a tenacious side to his game, but the discussion from a few days ago and this video (plus the 1996 one on vimeo) were still an eye-opener on how complete he was as a midfielder.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
cheers @Synco , i was convinced im the only one that watches mine as they are a bit too long so its great to hear someone else enjoys them as well :D

harms

Staff
cheers @Synco , i was convinced im the only one that watches mine as they are a bit too long so its great to hear someone else enjoys them as well :D
:lol: I have to say, the in-game episodes were a bit too long even for my liking though.

harms

Staff
I was quite intrigued by that Bordeaux side — Giresse, Tigana, Battiston... They almost managed to go past Juventus in the semi-final — they've won the home tie 2:0 before losing 3:0 in Turin. Unsurprisingly, Tigana assumes a more attacking role for Bordeaux, since there's no Platini around; he absolutely loved those surgical dribbling runs forward.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I was quite intrigued by that Bordeaux side — Giresse, Tigana, Battiston... They almost managed to go past Juventus in the semi-final — they've won the home tie 2:0 before losing 3:0 in Turin. Unsurprisingly, Tigana assumes a more attacking role for Bordeaux, since there's no Platini around; he absolutely loved those surgical dribbling runs forward.
Great side. Battiston's goal in the semi was a proper humdinger made better when the stakes were at their highest.