Match Compilations

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I dont know about comparing Belodidici to Savicevic/Prosinecki etc when talking about things like consistency though, as imo centre and attacking midfield are harder positions to play and be consistent in than CB/sweeper especially in the organisational/using the ball aspects of the game where i find the difference significant. Even though there can be few things better to see than a good creator from defence adding extra control to a game.

The former need much more constant 360 degree awareness opposed to 95% of the time having everything play out in front of you when you're on the ball and being able to pick your options for an interception and pass from that widely viewable canvas. There's good reason you see an occasional player of those positions falling back and playing a sweeper/organising cb role like Olaf Thon, Matthaus and Sauzee or deeper lying playmaker role to a still good level for a few seasons later in their career, but not nearly as much the other way. This is maybe an idosyncratic view of things though, as i've always viewed it easier to defend and play from the back than be creative and effective in attack.
Tbf it depends on the team, individual etc. To stay true to the topic, Savicevic and Prosinecki could walk through parts of the game if they needed rest, nobody was giving them stick if they lost the ball(which they did often as both games were pretty much high risk high reward which was normal in that era) when then ran blind allies etc. so while yeah, you need more awareness to play in the middle of the park you can also drop your guard at times(in that era at least) while at the back you need other qualities to excel - consistency, concentration, tactical knowledge and specifically for a type like Belodedici organization skills as he was pretty much controlling that defence like in a puppet show.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Great video @Šjor Bepo That line on him made it much easier to see what he was actually doing otherwise it would have been another dark haired defender. Looks a quality player.

Reminded me of Mike Smalling against PSG but much better on the ball

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Both Boli and Mozer look quality and underrated to me, with Mozer seeming a class above due to his ability on the ball. Shall give some of these Prosinecki videos a watch soon!
Mozer's just pure class and so complete every time I catch him. Seems to be hugely underappreciated when folk rank their best Brazilian centre-halves of all time.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Pirri playing as a libero. Light on off the ball defensive stuff as I lack Bepo's tekkers of adding lines to the screen :(. A good showcase of his quality on the ball though (Pirri not Bepo), capped with a stunning goal.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Pirri playing as a libero. Light on off the ball defensive stuff as I lack Bepo's tekkers of adding lines to the screen :(. A good showcase of his quality on the ball though (Pirri not Bepo), capped with a stunning goal.

Great watch, thanks for sharing.

I have watched the game earlier, so would recommend people to checkout the full game.

Bonhof and Stielike vs Netzer, Breitner and Pirri. What a midfield battle that :drool:

Šjor Bepo

Snapshot + caption :) tekkers level - phil jones stepover.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Couple of Scholesy-esque passes topped by a couple of Scholesy-esque tackles :drool:
Classy performance and a brilliant goal. That Madrid side really should've done more in Europe, they were very good domestically, outperforming Cruyff's Barca (and a very strong Atletico) most of the time, but struggled to bring that form to continental competitions.

Pat_Mustard

Great watch, thanks for sharing.

I have watched the game earlier, so would recommend people to checkout the full game.

Bonhof and Stielike vs Netzer, Breitner and Pirri. What a midfield battle that :drool:
Cheers mate. Yep, the whole game is definitely worth a watch. So many great players (Heynckes is another who invariably impresses me when I see him), and some properly impressive '70s moustaches.

Couple of Scholesy-esque passes topped by a couple of Scholesy-esque tackles :drool:
Classy performance and a brilliant goal. That Madrid side really should've done more in Europe, they were very good domestically, outperforming Cruyff's Barca (and a very strong Atletico) most of the time, but struggled to bring that form to continental competitions.
Some of the tackles were brutal indeed :lol: . Agreed that they should have went further in Europe. Maybe slightly similar to the late 80s/early 90s Real team in that regard?

harms

Staff
If you have time, try to make a compilation of his goals from 1967. I think he had scored 10 goals for USSR in the space of that year!

harms

Staff

This game includes one of the greatest goals that you've probably never seen (as it was disallowed).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A great display from Simonsen against Platini's France (soon to be Euro champions).

Was unlucky and should have had a goal or two but managed to cap off his excellent display with a cracking assist, jinxing his way past the French backline before threading a lovely through ball @5.55

A really intelligent player with terrific movement off the ball. He had an innate knack for popping up in pockets of space in crowded areas, or making incisive runs off the ball and catching the defense flat footed (@3.10, 5.35 etc - I actually included a fair few of his runs off the ball, even when he wasn't found, to highlight his wily movement).

Fair to say, Michael Laudrup, who was also on the pitch, definitely picked up a thing or two from Simonsen @4.50 :drool:.

Also notice his industry and the number of recoveries that he makes, frequently covering for his RB.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

great to see you back in compilations joga:drool:

harms

Staff
A tap in scored with a scissor kick, a genius free kick, an earned penalty & fantastic link up and movement throughout the whole 90 minutes :drool:

Pat_Mustard

Trying to compete against @harms and @Joga Bonito in the pre-match video-making stakes.

Fantastic game though, with Sao Paulo 2-0 up going into the second half, against the run of play imo, with Serginho scoring both, generally being a nuisance, yet still looking nothing like a professional footballer a lot of the time. Zico dragged Flamengo back into the match and to an eventual 3-2 victory. I Included a superbly pointless handball from Serginho just because it amused me, and regret not including his subsequent attempt to stop a GK kickout volleyball-style. I wish the video quality in those domestic Brazilian matches was better as the matches are often superb.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A relatively more muted performance by Simonsen given it being an extremely cagey affair and of course the zona mista defense with Scirea at its core. Was excellent linking things up, buzzing about and being a nuisance and his inventiveness on the ball was really impressive as usual. Was more impressive in the second half as things started opening up more.

Almost got on the score sheet and forced a good save from Zoff and played a lovely scooped ball for Lerby who mishit the ball (@4.22) but played a key role in the 3rd goal (when the scoreline was 2-1) with a delicate scooped ball (@5.50) for Elkjaer, who was fouled, but the ball fell to Bastrup who put it in the back of the net.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Trying to compete against @harms and @Joga Bonito in the pre-match video-making stakes.

:lol:
Great display from Zico with 2 goals (the first especially was brilliant) and an assist. Was interesting to see the Zico-Junior link up too.

That yellow card though :houllier:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Simonsen in his ballon d'or winning form :drool: . Brilliant ball control and dribbling - had to slow mo a few of them. Dynamo really put the screws in on Gladbach and put them on the back foot, with Simonsen being Gladbach's only threat on the day with Heynckes looking to be nursing an injury. Dynamo couldn't get a handle on Simonsen esp with his dribbling and inventiveness, and he was a legitimate threat on the counter with his pace and wily movement of the ball.

Worth noting that his work rate was phenomenal as usual, esp given the context of the match- an European Cup semi final away leg against the ridiculously industrious and universalistic Lobanovsky's Dynamo side. You'd find many instances where Simonsen finds himself one on one against the opposition's LB or LW and he did a brilliant defensive job - all the more remarkable given his stature as the side's star player (and soon to be Balon d'Or winner) and well given his stature :lol: .

His performance in the return leg of the semi final for those intetested, his dribbling and ball control is sensational to say the least. This one is not my compilation btw.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Manni banana, I head, goal :lol:

This particular cross was from Dremmler, I think, but even in this game you can see the synergy between the two.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Manni banana, I head, goal :lol:

This particular cross was from Dremmler, I think, but even in this game you can see the synergy between the two.
Fischer, as per the commentator. But yeah, that general match of abilities between Kaltz & Hrubesch is almost comical.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

What.a.feckin.performance :eek:

All the more ridiculous given that he was 20 years old away at Paris and playing against France in a WC qualifier.

Oh and @Pat_Mustard

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

All the more ridiculous given that he was 20 years old away at Paris and playing against France in a WC qualifier.

Oh and @Pat_Mustard
Watched the ‘79 FA Cup Final yesterday. Clearly the classiest player on the park and the one who would make the most seamless transition into a modern possession-based set up.

harms

Staff
He was quite good in that Inter game against Rangers as well, although you can feel that he was already a bit past it.

Šjor Bepo

magnifique!
Just proves a point that there are so many great players that could feature regularly in all-time drafts but they dont, both older ones and current ones but we as a draft community shut down anyone that isnt from our draft pool and more often then not he gets called out as the weakest link on the pitch.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Watched the ‘79 FA Cup Final yesterday. Clearly the classiest player on the park and the one who would make the most seamless transition into a modern possession-based set up.
Aye, quite a classy player but what really truly impressed me was how technically refined he was - rarely made errors or gave away the ball cheaply despite being rather direct and playing rather adventurously.

He was quite good in that Inter game against Rangers as well, although you can feel that he was already a bit past it.
Yeah I honestly can't say I've watched much of him, his career more or less coincides with relatively less vaunted periods in his clubs or country's history - obviously no fault of his own but might affect his standing amongst future generations, unfairly at that.

He made 3 FA cup finals and won one of them, but at a period when English clubs (esp Liverpool) were being dominant in Europe

He was by all accounts great for Juventus where he led them to 2 Serie As and was their first foreign player after the ban on foreign players was removed. He was extremely well received by his teammates and fans alike and led them to 2 titles. Was rather unfairly replaced (due to the foreign players rule) by the more shiny Platini who proceeded to herald one of the greatest periods in Juve's history. Strange that there is not a lot of furor about his Italian stint, British/Irish players notoriously used to flop overseas and you'd think Brady just went to Italy and spent a few years there as part of the supporting cast or something. Apart from the notable exception of Charles it's hard to think of too many British/Irish players making the step, by this point of time in history.

Likewise his International career where he more or less just misses out on Ireland's golden period in the late 80s and early 90s.

Just unfortunate with the timing, sort of like Baggio and his club career.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
magnifique!
Just proves a point that there are so many great players that could feature regularly in all-time drafts but they dont, both older ones and current ones but we as a draft community shut down anyone that isnt from our draft pool and more often then not he gets called out as the weakest link on the pitch.
We need more video makers. It's the only real way to change perceptions

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
magnifique!
That's a shame but well I guess he's one if those players people (obviously me too) have heard good things about but not watched much of in detail.

A brilliant display. Oh and forgot to mention but his unbelievable solo assist (@6.55) where he starts off from his own half and scythes through the French defense by himself, was disallowed. I still have no idea for what though. Absolutely no foul there whatsoever andcan't have been an offside either :confused: .

Šjor Bepo

Finally finished Uwe vid that i started few weeks ago, thanks to insane productivity of joga and harms :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Finally finished Uwe vid that i started few weeks ago, thanks to insane productivity of joga and harms :D
Excellent all round and industrious display (with his pressing also playing a role in Müller's goal), and he capped it off with one of the more innovative headed goals you'll ever see.

Pat_Mustard

Oh and @Pat_Mustard
Magnificent performance :drool:. It was a treat to see him and Giles in the same midfield too, and playing against the man who would replace at Juve was a nice subplot.