Match Compilations

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Joga Bonito The Brady vids are class. From the all-touch compilations I have seen of them he looks a better player than Schuster and van Hanegem.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Hope it doesn't get blocked.

Schuster as a 19 year old against Nottingham Forest in the European Cup semi finals. Plays as a midfielder in the first half - more defensive relative to the #10 and then as a sweeper in the 2nd half :drool:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/post-17063934

Guess the quotes here about him as a sweeper don't seem so outlandish now eh :smirk:
Excellent! Not his flashiest display but that natural authority he exudes on the pitch is pretty crazy at 19 years of age.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito The Brady vids are class. From the all-touch compilations I have seen of them he looks a better player than Schuster and van Hanegem.
Cheers. Tbf I understand where you are coming from as there aren't too many compilations of Schuster or van Hanegem, thus it isn't a fair comparison. With van Hanegem it's a matter of relative scarcity of footage (esp at Feyenoord) and Schuster barely has any footage of him (be sure to check out harm's dailymotion vids of his Euro 80s showings).

Maybe I just need to see more of the others.
Aye, well worth it though.

Excellent! Not his flashiest display but that natural authority he exudes on the pitch is pretty crazy at 19 years of age.
Indeed, kept it simple and did what was asked of him. Really highlights his maturity and class, playing as a sweeper in a high pressure European Cup semi final, and being one of the standout players as a 19 year old.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Something a bit different this time, only defensive actions from the most underrated United player in history of the club.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That corner by Giggs at 7:00 :lol:. Great idea and execution @Šjor Bepo . I'm a fan of Carrick but do admit with getting disillusioned with him when he lost form around 2010ish? and generally probably overlooked so much of the subtle great stuff he did. I remember posing the question a few times as to who was better overall between him and peak Ince. Is it underrating Carrick to pose that question?

Šjor Bepo

That corner by Giggs at 7:00 :lol:. Great idea and execution @Šjor Bepo . I'm a fan of Carrick but do admit with getting disillusioned with him when he lost form around 2010ish? and generally probably overlooked so much of the subtle great stuff he did. I remember posing the question a few times as to who was better overall between him and peak Ince. Is it underrating Carrick to pose that question?
Yeah, was painful to watch in possession that period when he lost confidence :(
Id say so then again i rate him a bit higher then the rest as i think i the only one that had him in top 30 DMs.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!

Hope it doesn't get blocked.

Schuster as a 19 year old against Nottingham Forest in the European Cup semi finals. Plays as a midfielder in the first half - more defensive relative to the #10 and then as a sweeper in the 2nd half :drool:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-second-redcafe-sheep-draft.399759/post-17063934

Guess the quotes here about him as a sweeper don't seem so outlandish now eh :smirk:
Really nice watch. Would have been a half decent libero by the looks of it.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I can remember reading reading a few articles that mentioned schuster playing libero when he moved back to Bayer Leverkusen at the end of his career, and doing well enough there that many wanted him back into the national team.

However looking at kicker site they've got him rated for midfield 93/94 and 94/95, but they also seem to have players like sammer and thon rated for midfield during seasons i was sure they had switched to defence by, so i'm not sure of their methodology.

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/topspieler-mittelfeld/1994-95/34

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Subbed.. you deserve a lot more recognition for your work!
Cheers.

I can remember reading reading a few articles that mentioned schuster playing libero when he moved back to Bayer Leverkusen at the end of his career, and doing well enough there that many wanted him back into the national team.

However looking at kicker site they've got him rated for midfield 93/94 and 94/95, but they also seem to have players like sammer and thon rated for midfield during seasons i was sure they had switched to defence by, so i'm not sure of their methodology.

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/topspieler-mittelfeld/1994-95/34
Yeah read about that too.

Perhaps @Synco could clarify more on kickers methodology.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

An intriguing display once again. Plays a very restrained role handing over the creative duties to Hansi Müller and to some extent Bonhof.

Really shows off his defensive work rate - closing down players and making plenty of recoveries whilst his work rate was terrific. Oh and Kalle :drool:

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Think we can thank physio for last few vids :D

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Think we can thank physio for last few vids :D
:lol:

I'm sure he'll like this one too ;)

An impressive performance given the fact that he was man marked by Jean Tigana who was shadowing him throughout the match.

Unfortunately he didn't have a Giles or another player to share the creative burden, so the man marking (Tigana had an excellent game) really hurt Ireland - showed how important Brady was for France to dedicate a man-marker on him (and Tigana at that too) and how dependent Ireland were on Brady. Still managed to create a great chance for Houghton and played in some great crosses (one of them following a trademark :drool: dribble of his).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just phenomenal. Worth a watch @Physiocrat if you'd like to see van Hanegem at his best. Scored a cracking goal - the winner to knock out defending champions Milan, to cap of a brilliant display (there was only 70 mins or so of match footage with a portion of the 1st half missing).

A crying shame that there's barely any footage of him in his twenties (just the 4 matches) and the bulk of them are him in his 30s.

EDIT: C.Moulijn had a good game too - looked like a tricky winger with a nice cross on him (he's the #11 who provides the assist for van Hanegem's winner).

As too did Schnellinger.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

An excellent performance once again. Conceded a free kick with a 'foul' (didn't look like one to me and rather poor goalkeeping too) - but played a major role in the equalizer as Feyenoord hit back instantly. C.Moulijn had a pretty good game too.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

17 minutes :lol:
He just can't help himself and needs to be right in the middle of any action.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Just phenomenal. Worth a watch @Physiocrat if you'd like to see van Hanegem at his best. Scored a cracking goal - the winner to knock out defending champions Milan, to cap of a brilliant display (there was only 70 mins or so of match footage with a portion of the 1st half missing).

A crying shame that there's barely any footage of him in his twenties (just the 4 matches) and the bulk of them are him in his 30s.

EDIT: C.Moulijn had a good game too - looked like a tricky winger with a nice cross on him (he's the #11 who provides the assist for van Hanegem's winner).

As too did Schnellinger.
Nice vid. Much better than most of the others I have seen.

Great assist for him by Moulijn

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Perhaps this will shed some light on the whole 'can van Hangem play B2B or is he dynamic enough to play in a midfield duo in a back 5 set up?' debate.

The past 2 games saw him play a relatively restrained yet commanding role in the center of the pitch, whilst he gets the shackles taken off in this particular game.

A proper dynamic B2B display - plays as an attacking B2B and very nearly gets on the scoresheet (got a goal disallowed, not sure why exactly though) and not much needs to be said about his defensive contributions.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
very nearly gets on the scoresheet (got a goal disallowed, not sure why exactly though)
Probably for pushing in the box.

Going through all his Dutch and Feyenoord videos, looks like he was more than decent in the air. See him winning most of the aerial duels.

harms

Staff
Probably for pushing in the box.

Going through all his Dutch and Feyenoord videos, looks like he was more than decent in the air. See him winning most of the aerial duels.
He seemed to score quite a lot of headers from his late runs iirc. Which is not really surprising, considering his physicality.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

An excellent performance once again. Conceded a free kick with a 'foul' (didn't look like one to me and rather poor goalkeeping too) - but played a major role in the equalizer as Feyenoord hit back instantly. C.Moulijn had a pretty good game too.

The youtube video has been unblocked so here you go.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Has a rather iffy start but grows into it as the game progresses and starts to dominate proceedings from the center of the pitch.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
That Bayern team of the 80's had some insane games.This one is considered to be one of, if not the best comebacks in the club's history.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

No shortage of fireworks in this one - scores a stunning free kick, wins a penalty and gets sent off with 13 minutes to go. Classic Schuster :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Schuster is class. :drool: He, Elkjaer, Blokhin and Enzo go into that group of players that I started appreciate/love once I got into draft games.

Must have forgot someone, but this four come to mind immediately.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Schuster is class. :drool: He, Elkjaer, Blokhin and Enzo go into that group of players that I started appreciate/love once I got into draft games.

Must have forgot someone, but this four come to mind immediately.
Aye a brilliant player.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That Bayern team of the 80's had some insane games.This one is considered to be one of, if not the best comebacks in the club's history.

Lovely display. Great striker's instinct to grab the goal and could have had more, although at least his effort off the upright was converted.

Has got to be an absolute nightmare for defenders to play against- always buzzing about, razor sharp reflexes inside the box, at ease drifting in from either flank or attacking the ball in the box and just as likely to give you the slip with a dribble or a sneaky run off the ball.

Always had a niggling feeling that he was underrated - he is rated obviously but perhaps doesn't get his kudos as a matchwinner. Having seen even more of him recently, whilst tailing Brady and Schuster, I've really got to say he's probably one of those who doesn't get his deserved dues (as a matchwinner) despite being a draft regular.

Mind you, I haven't exactly been taking part in drafts recently so I could be way off the mark here.

Last edited: