Match Compilations

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Not the best game from Cubillas, being a kid at your first WC and already you carry the pressure of being the best player in the team....was visible. Mind you, he still won them the game!
But its amazing how poor Peru was, they have United version of Bebe on the left wing and by some miracle the striker is even worse!

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Great performance :drool:
But its so sad to watch him with those turds around, born and played in a wrong era :(
Cant remember a player that loved one two so much, absolute joy to watch.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Just :drool:

A stunning brace against Parma in the playoffs for the Champions League, featuring his best free kick ever probably.

Parma had a great team and a fantastic defense featuring Lilian Thuram, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon and also other excellent players such as Dino Baggio and Hernan Crespo.

Quite the send off from Baggio in his final match for Inter.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Great performance :drool:
But its so sad to watch him with those turds around, born and played in a wrong era :(
Cant remember a player that loved one two so much, absolute joy to watch.
Impressive! Really deft and nimble and great link up play.

Šjor Bepo

Impressive! Really deft and nimble and great link up play.
Would be perfect for tiki taka if he just had a bit higher work-rate. When you watch him he wasnt lazy nor anything, at times he presses and is fairly disciplined so in a more modern era i have no doubt he would be able to do his part in a high demanding defensive phase. Wrong era :(

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I think all the one-twos and short collective passing attempts are a Peru national team stylistic trademark in general, probably coming from one of their top club teams back then. Almost all the games i've ever watched them in are full of it, from 60s to the last world cup like it's a very ingrained tactical tradition even if sometimes numerous players don't really have the technical level for it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Just :drool:

A stunning brace against Parma in the playoffs for the Champions League, featuring his best free kick ever probably.

Parma had a great team and a fantastic defense featuring Lilian Thuram, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluigi Buffon and also other excellent players such as Dino Baggio and Hernan Crespo.

Quite the send off from Baggio in his final match for Inter.
Hope he won a passion cup for that one.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Wow, that's probably the best I've seen him play, including his performance against us at Old Trafford. Untouchable.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Another good game in what has to be one of the funniest bottle jobs ever.

Real went into the final match day 1 point ahead of Cruyff's dream team and they stormed into a 2-0 goal lead (including a Hagi classic) but managed to somehow lose 3-2 and hand Barca the title :lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Keano with an excellent performance, grabs a goal and an assist to send Nottingham Forest to the FA Cup Final.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Not really a fan of those type of strikers/football but this was an absolute joy to watch, they just cant get near him :lol:
If you dont have time to watch the full clip, watch this:

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Fantastic assist for Müller and a sturdy performance at the back.

Very nearly repeats the dinked free kick assist of the 1st leg, with Haller hitting the post on this instance(@1.32)

Nonetheless his free kick @6.00 leads to Müller scoring.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A good game to see his fantastic movement off the ball (has to be noted that PSG defense wasn't all that though)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Baggio's deflected shot leads to the other Baggio's winner - the goal which sent Italy on their way to the 94 WC.

harms

Staff
By the way, it's on for now but they make take it down yet. Probably the best game of Boniek's career – he plays as a lone striker up front, terrorises Belgium's defense single-handedly (reminded me of Francescoli vs Scotland) – and also scores 3 fantastic goals.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Not really a fan of those type of strikers/football but this was an absolute joy to watch, they just cant get near him :lol:
If you dont have time to watch the full clip, watch this:
Never thought I'd see an all-touches video on here for Chris Sutton but that was great! He was so effective and intelligent relative to his technical limitations. Gets bonus Mustard points for saying that Henrik was better than Shearer. I wonder if that sort of centre-forward is still being developed and/or will make a resurgence, as it seems such an obvious way for smaller teams to counter the bigger, high-pressing juggernauts.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
By the way, it's on for now but they make take it down yet. Probably the best game of Boniek's career – he plays as a lone striker up front, terrorises Belgium's defense single-handedly (reminded me of Francescoli vs Scotland) – and also scores 3 fantastic goals.

Brilliant. Could have very nearly had 4 goals too (10.12)!

harms

Staff
A bit harsh on Lato, especially with the assist for 3rd goal.

Good watch.
It wasn't a comment about quality (Lato was great in that game as well), but about his position, especially in the 2nd time – he was usually alone up front, facing from 2 to 4 defenders, with the rest of his teammates way behind him. Lato had played in a surprisingly reserved role on the right – very much unlike his wing-forward-ish one in 1974.

Boniek
Smolarek - Polandball - Lato
Polandball - Polandball
Polandball - Zmuda - Polandball - Polandball
Polandball​

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

A great game encapsulating Beckenbauer's influence esp his assist, where he wins the ball at the edge of his box and dictates proceedings before finishing off the move with a raking through ball for Uli Hoeneß's goal (8.16).

Footage quality is top notch for a seventies match too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
After watching his goal against Gladbach in the previous match, really felt like I had to do a compilation of his more 'enterprising' goals.

Seriously, screw Romario or whoever, Müller wasn't the greatest dribbler (in a conventional sense) but he pulled off some of the craziest manoeuvres I've seen in the box and it was like he fast forwarded himself in the box whilst others were lagging behind. Just a treat to watch him being a few seconds ahead whilst the defenders didn't even know what hit them.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Squares up against Schuster here in this match.

Once again plays as the most advanced midfielder in a defensive set up against Atletico - some nice dribbles and passes (should have had an assist which was unfairly ruled offside) but his ball retention skills is top notch even early into his career.

Defensively he offered plenty of closing down and could be counted on to put a shift without really being hard working.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Boy was he fired up for this one :lol: . Don't ever recall him working this hard off the ball. A lovely display topped off by a sublime one touch pass for the winner.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Another good game in what has to be one of the funniest bottle jobs ever.

Real went into the final match day 1 point ahead of Cruyff's dream team and they stormed into a 2-0 goal lead (including a Hagi classic) but managed to somehow lose 3-2 and hand Barca the title :lol:
Revealing window into his stage of development at the time. He's a touch more direct and vertical in his play compared to later in his career - his ball-carrying is more of a weapon while his ball retention is not as disciplined, albeit still high quality. Interestingly even in a pure single player compilation, you can see Real's title chances unravelling during the course of the match. All compact and organised early in the game, all strung out and frustrated as they lost their shit in the second half. Redondo of course exploiting that with his midfield ball-carrying.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Revealing window into his stage of development at the time. He's a touch more direct and vertical in his play compared to later in his career - his ball-carrying is more of a weapon while his ball retention is not as disciplined, albeit still high quality.
Agreed. Didn't realize he was such a good player in his early years too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Picchi has a good game although he could have done better for Dortmund's second. His reading of the game, anticipation and ability on the ball is fantastic and it really shows in this game.

Sandro Mazzola said:
When I played, we had Helenio Herrera as the coach, and he didn’t joke around. Then we had Armando Picchi, the leader of the Great Inter. When he saw a player that didn’t do what he was supposed to, he confronted him and put him in line again
Kevin Wolstenholme said:
If a player got beyond the line of four backs, either by dribbling his way there or by creating space with one-two passing movement with a colleague, he would be confronted by Picchi. Any player who ran through to pick up a long pass would be confronted by … Picchi. Any high lob or centre which was floated into the Inter Milan goalmouth would be picked off by … Picchi.