Matej Kovar

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles

GOALKEEPER JOINS UNITED FROM FC SLOVACKO

Matej Kovar has joined Manchester United from FC Slovacko, subject to international clearance.

The 17-year-old is a talented young goalkeeper who has already appeared for Czech Republic’s Under-18s on two occasions, highlighting his promising pedigree and excellent potential.

An exciting prospect, Kovar has signed a professional contract with the club and will soon join the ranks of the Academy, specifically with Kieran McKenna's impressive Under-18s team

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Born 17th May 2000

Stands at 185cm so is relatively tall already.

Has played twice for Czech Republic youth last November against Netherlands and Ireland.

Not a lot about him on the FC Slovacko website.

Interesting to see what happens with Fojticek, Carney, Thompson now.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We have so many keepers on our books. De Gea, Romero, S.Johnstone, Castro-Pereira, O'Hara, Henderson, Richardson, M.Johnstone, Moutha-Sebtaoui, Fojticek, Thompson, Carney and now this lad. That's 13! Surely something has to give!

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
We have so many keepers on our books. De Gea, Romero, S.Johnstone, Castro-Pereira, O'Hara, Henderson, Richardson, M.Johnstone, Moutha-Sebtaoui, Fojticek, Thompson, Carney and now this lad. That's 13! Surely something has to give!
Takes parking the bus to a new level...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Born 17th May 2000

Stands at 185cm so is relatively tall already.

Has played twice for Czech Republic youth last November against Netherlands and Ireland.

Not a lot about him on the FC Slovacko website.

Interesting to see what happens with Fojticek, Carney, Thompson now.
How's Carney getting on? I remember when the youth intake was announced on here one of the posters said he was highly rated but really small, has he grown any?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Henderson and Johnstone would be gone I'm guessing.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Henderson and Johnstone would be gone I'm guessing.
I would imagine both Johnstones and Richardson leaving, but two of those three have not been at the club all that long. Henderson is one of the more promising keepers IMO, though not sure about his contract situ.

KM

I would imagine both Johnstones and Richardson leaving, but two of those three have not been at the club all that long. Henderson is one of the more promising keepers IMO, though not sure about his contract situ.
Henderson's contract is ending this summer. On Johnstone's contract we've an option to extend.

Btw, I'm really liking the fact that we're treating the signings or announcement of professional deals as big deals on OS now. One or two years ago, there was nothing on OS.

oskarutd

I am sure United would not have let Henderson leave on loan unless the contract would be sorted or an option in place.

jb8521

How's Carney getting on? I remember when the youth intake was announced on here one of the posters said he was highly rated but really small, has he grown any?
He's only played with the u16s and u17 friendlies so far, looks to have grown a bit but is still only on a part time contract so will be interesting to see what happens with him this summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see the us bring in another keeper for next year's u18s since the current u16s keeper hasn't been retained.

AltiUn

He's only played with the u16s and u17 friendlies so far, looks to have grown a bit but is still only on a part time contract so will be interesting to see what happens with him this summer. I wouldn't be surprised to see the us bring in another keeper for next year's u18s since the current u16s keeper hasn't been retained.
Okay thanks for the update.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Cant say I ever heard of him but good to see a Czech on our books after a long time, probably second ever since Poborsky? We are probably hoping that one of the 60 young goalkeepers we have come good after David leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYAS

This lad doesn’t look convincing at all for Czech U-19s. Flapping at crosses and letting balls through under his body to the back of the net.

AltiUn

This lad doesn’t look convincing at all for Czech U-19s. Flapping at crosses and letting balls through under his body to the back of the net.
Doesn’t really look that good in general, he’s fine but that’s it, can’t see him having a career at the top of the game.

AltiUn

what about fojticek, is he better?
Not really, I don’t think either of them are particularly good. Only standout keeper we’ve produced recently is Henderson.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Seems to be showing huge potential and has come on leaps and bounds in the last year. Very impressed with him this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is class, once again saved penalty and made few good saves. Apart from shot stopping, he commands his area and distribution is class.

He is arrogant in his play too (in a good way), picks up risky short passes instead of just kicking it long and losing possession.

KM

Good stuff by the club to extend his contract till 2023. Should be sent on loan in January itself now.

VJ1762

Good stuff by the club to extend his contract till 2023. Should be sent on loan in January itself now.
We have so many talented keepers at the same time. I think he would benefit from a loan move as I don't think DDG is going anywhere any time soon. He has also recaptured some of his old form.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, if not January then at least should send him on loan next season.

AltiUn

He's turning into a bit of a monster, before this season I'll admit I've never been particularly impressed with him but with the rate he's improving he could end up a quality player. His form this season is the best I've seen from one of our youth keepers in years.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Out of all the things I like about this guy, probably the best thing is that he's so good with both feet. Remember him taking goal kicks with either of his feet impeccably in the U18s.

Varun1

Who is the better keeper at the same stage of their careers, Henderson or Kovar? I wonder how we'll manage the GK position since DDG's form has improved and I can't see many top teams who may soon need a GK except for Bayern but the transfer fee will be a deterrent.

Grant is in his last season, not sure how long Romero has left on his contract.

Reactions: KM

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Who is the better keeper at the same stage of their careers, Henderson or Kovar? I wonder how we'll manage the GK position since DDG's form has improved and I can't see many top teams who may soon need a GK except for Bayern but the transfer fee will be a deterrent.

Grant is in his last season, not sure how long Romero has left on his contract.
Romero (contract runs until 2021 btw) is an interesting one. At 32, he could be playing his best years as a starting keeper in any of the top leagues (not the very best teams in them mind) in the world, but he seems content at United. Which is great, can’t think of any club that would have as good a substitute keeper. But you’d think he would want to play more than 5+ matches a season.

I truly believe that Henderson will be our next no.1 after DDG. But as you said, it’s an interesting situation. One could even add Joel Pereira, who’s not a bad keeper, in the mix, but I think he’ll be sold by summer 2021.

For so many years it looked almost certain that De Gea would leave soon, but at the moment it doesn’t seem that way, can’t even remember reading about any strong rumours last summer. Partly due to his form.

Sometimes I wonder how long will Henderson’s patience last, but it looks like he doesn’t have a problem with being on loan every season (I admire that attitude) as he has been superb at all the levels; League One, Championship and now PL. And as long as his development continues and, for example, he keeps on getting called to the England side, I feel there’s no immediate threat of him leaving.

Kovar hopefully gets a loan if not in January, then for next season. He’s definitely ready for some first team football.

My crystal ball says that Henderson will be the starting keeper when the 2021-22 season starts, and Kovar his no.2.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Romero (contract runs until 2021 btw) is an interesting one. At 32, he could be playing his best years as a starting keeper in any of the top leagues (not the very best teams in them mind) in the world, but he seems content at United. Which is great, can’t think of any club that would have as good a substitute keeper. But you’d think he would want to play more than 5+ matches a season.

I truly believe that Henderson will be our next no.1 after DDG. But as you said, it’s an interesting situation. One could even add Joel Pereira, who’s not a bad keeper, in the mix, but I think he’ll be sold by summer 2021.

For so many years it looked almost certain that De Gea would leave soon, but at the moment it doesn’t seem that way, can’t even remember reading about any strong rumours last summer. Partly due to his form.

Sometimes I wonder how long will Henderson’s patience last, but it looks like he doesn’t have a problem with being on loan every season (I admire that attitude) as he has been superb at all the levels; League One, Championship and now PL. And as long as his development continues and, for example, he keeps on getting called to the England side, I feel there’s no immediate threat of him leaving.

Kovar hopefully gets a loan if not in January, then for next season. He’s definitely ready for some first team football.

My crystal ball says that Henderson will be the starting keeper when the 2021-22 season starts, and Kovar his no.2.
I have a little feeling Romero might be off soon.

I don't know if he was injured or not but Grant seems to be getting game time. Might be a good time to get rid of Romero and bring back give chances to Henderson/Kovar.

Varun1

Coincidentally, today's comments from Romero about his contract: @sistoney67 Twitter account -
Sergio Romero says he wants to extend his stay
@ManUtd. Calls it the best club in the world but admits 'not easy' being permanent second choice.

Mickson

Saved 3/4 penalties, 6 clean sheets in 15 games. Pretty decent season from him. So far. I think he's an excellent keeper, although a bit short for England maybe. He will most definitely have a very good career. I read at The Athletic that a coach at United thinks he's ready for top-level football right now, strong words that but I'm not surprised.

georgipep

Saved 3/4 penalties, 6 clean sheets in 15 games. Pretty decent season from him. So far. I think he's an excellent keeper, although a bit short for England maybe. He will most definitely have a very good career. I read at The Athletic that a coach at United thinks he's ready for top-level football right now, strong words that but I'm not surprised.
Being a talented, young keeper with ambitions to make it at your big club is probably one of the most difficult things to achieve for a footballer. The only position where you simply cannot expect to be given a chance. Even a successful loan (or two) might not do the trick.

jb8521

I'm fairly sure he's taller than any other keeper at the club