Mateo Kovacic

CA1

Real would be mad to let him go. He's Modric's replacement already at the club.

J_XO

As much as I like Kovacic, does it make sense for us to sign him along with Fred? Can’t see where he would fit in, same problem with SMS really

izec

I think he will stay. With a new manager, he probably fancies anoter season and his chances to get a starting spot (which probably won't happen, injuries aside)

Infra-red

As much as I like Kovacic, does it make sense for us to sign him along with Fred? Can’t see where he would fit in, same problem with SMS really
No chance of this (Kovacic) happening with Fred coming in.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Yes. If he were signable, he is a number 10 in the mould of Deco or Kroos when he played there in Bayern's treble year and Germany's 2014 world cup win. A 10 who can run the game, whilst also being a defensive asset high up the pitch. Able to chip in with goals from time to time

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Watched him from when he was 17 and love him to bits, but he is starting to be the most overrating player in the world.

He did not show near enough that he is ready to lead the midfield of a top team and we would basically be paying for the potential again. That wouldn't be such a problem if we are not talking about his potential for the last 6 years now.

Ban

Watched him from when he was 17 and love him to bits, but he is starting to be the most overrating player in the world.

He did not show near enough that he is ready to lead the midfield of a top team and we would basically be paying for the potential again. That wouldn't be such a problem if we are not talking about his potential for the last 6 years now.
He's a Croatian player but I agree with is. I'm not seeing it in him, he's a good player but not that good.

Jim Beam

He's a Croatian player but I agree with is. I'm not seeing it in him, he's a good player but not that good.
Yeah, maybe it will come together, he is still young. But, the truth is that he hasn't nearly lived up to the hype when he started playing. Not much of goal threat (or at all), doesn't rack up assists and he isn't the one to control the game like Modric who was far ahead at that age. So, he is still the best at what he did 6 years ago and that is in quick transition when he has lots of space. And even then he ends up mostly with suspicious decision making.

Improved a lot in defence while in Madrid, though.

Fer

He is a great CM. But I would prefer Tiago or Verrati if they are available.

suhaylah

Available for 70 million euros according to La Stampa. He's being linked with Juventus

sherrinford

Available for 70 million euros according to La Stampa. He's being linked with Juventus
I’ve read he has a release clause at 50m?
With Fred signing for similar amounts the ship has probably sailed. We have purchased our big midfield signing, so I think the kind of big name, out of favour and available/ potentially available midfielders at elite clubs such as Kovacic, Isco, Thiago, Vidal and Draxler are no longer an option.

kthanksbye

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/06/23/5b2dfce122601de60e8b4674.html

"I understand the situation, but because of that I believe the best thing for me would be to go to another club where I'd have the opportunity to play regularly as a starter."

But, also says this. "I don't know the new coach and I've never spoken to him, but I now that we need to talk about my future,"

Overall, it looks like he's made up his mind and wants to leave.

Varun

Staff
http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/06/23/5b2dfce122601de60e8b4674.html

"I understand the situation, but because of that I believe the best thing for me would be to go to another club where I'd have the opportunity to play regularly as a starter."

But, also says this. "I don't know the new coach and I've never spoken to him, but I now that we need to talk about my future,"

Overall, it looks like he's made up his mind and wants to leave.
Having a new manager changes things. I think he'll talk sweet nothings to the likes of Kovacic, Bale etc and they'll all agree to stay another year and see how it goes. Not an easy decision to leave Madrid anyway, players would want to be certain they aren't needed which is easily manageable by a new manager.

kthanksbye

Having a new manager changes things. I think he'll talk sweet nothings to the likes of Kovacic, Bale etc and they'll all agree to stay another year and see how it goes. Not an easy decision to leave Madrid anyway, players would want to be certain they aren't needed which is easily manageable by a new manager.
Kovacic should ask the manager to hold this talk in the presence of Modric and Kroos. That'll be fun. :devil:

StonedhamsterZA

Once again, probably typical Madrid tactics to use us to get more money or minutes with the new coach.

Would love to see him bolster our lineup, but I’m not convinced he wants to leave.

Sanche7

Once again, probably typical Madrid tactics to use us to get more money or minutes with the new coach.

Would love to see him bolster our lineup, but I’m not convinced he wants to leave.
Don't know about the rest, but if I'm not wrong, he has a 50 million euros / 44 million pound release clause which is pretty cheap for a player of his caliber. So Madrid can't use us.
I think he can be really good in a team where he gets to play continuously.

Fer

Just curious... Would you prefer Kovacic instead of Thiago who is also available?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Just curious... Would you prefer Kovacic instead of Thiago who is also available?
Thiago is better for me but likely to cost a lot more, if Bayern are even willing to sell.

£44m would be a steal for Kovacic if it's true about his release clause IMO. 3 years younger than Thiago too.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
both for me. We're that short of midfield quality and in such a need for fresh energy. I would get both and then if we get real full backs we're golden. Midfield wise in terms of options/bench etc we're quite short. Sometimes you need to be greedy. Some people might ask can Fred make the difference? Fact is if he got injured, we're back to square one. We need to bolster properly with quality. If I was me? I'd bring back Mitchell and give him a chance I just feel at this time, we have to be bold. Even if we bring in 3 midfielders then we should do it. If we buy one here, one there etc..we're praying for no injuries. Midfield, width (from full back or attacking etc) are what we need so why choose? More so bascause it's not like we're an inch from being the best team in the world. We're a distance away. To shorten the gap we have to be serious

Last edited:

MJJ

Yeah he'd be a perfect fit in a midfield three alongside two other midfielders who don't play for United. How will the link up with Dybala and Griezmann work though?
Well would be a bit tough but the width supplied by semedo and sandro should make it a good fit.

Mylock

It would depend on who's position they would take in the team, Thiago is more experienced than Kovacic, but more injury prone. Kovacic looks to have alot of potential but needs to play more games. Dream signing would be kroos, it would solve our problems in midfield straight away .

StonedhamsterZA

Don't know about the rest, but if I'm not wrong, he has a 50 million euros / 44 million pound release clause which is pretty cheap for a player of his caliber. So Madrid can't use us.
Apologies, I meant a Madrid player tactic, not the club itself.

suhaylah

Is kovacic a box to box midfielder or a deep lying midfielder or an attacking midfielder?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You mean he can play all 3 positions? What is his best position though?
He can play all 3 positions and his best role is still to be determined because he hasn't played enough.

Bestietom

Fred is enough for midfield this season, I would rather we bring in a Top right winger.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Matic, Pogba, Fred and Ander - we don’t really have an excuses with those options, plus the younger lads providing back up. Sort the fecking full back areas out now!

Bestietom

Matic, Pogba, Fred and Ander - we don’t really have an excuses with those options, plus the younger lads providing back up. Sort the fecking full back areas out now!
This I agree with, and before we go for a CB. Especially Boateng who I do not rate.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Back to Inter and completing the midfield with Brozovic and Nainggolan.

Jim Beam

You mean he can play all 3 positions? What is his best position though?
Box to box midfielder from his qualities and what he has shown so far in his career (best suited to the counter-attacking team), although Madrid knew to play him a little bit more defensively this season or give him a special defensive role in midfield (shut down Messi or Veratti for example). For him to play DM he would have to improve his passing range, decision making and positioning.

Despite what I've said about him not progressing enough in this thread, I definitely hope Liverpool and Klopp don't go after him. Feel he could do really good in their system.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
This I agree with, and before we go for a CB. Especially Boateng who I do not rate.
Boateng looks like he’s fallen off a cliff. I’d like another top drawer CB to help us play from the back better but don’t think it’s necessary assuming we have transfer budget limitations. Stylistically, the full back areas are far more important. I wonder if this Dalot lad will be ripe for involvement from the off...?

FrantikChicken

If Fellaini leaves then we should expect to sign another midfielder. Mourinho did say hedh need replacements for him as well as Carrick. I don't really know anything about this fella but if the club sees him as the right option, I wouldn't be surprised if we do try to sign him.

Bestietom

Boateng looks like he’s fallen off a cliff. I’d like another top drawer CB to help us play from the back better but don’t think it’s necessary assuming we have transfer budget limitations. Stylistically, the full back areas are far more important. I wonder if this Dalot lad will be ripe for involvement from the off...?
I certainly hope Dalot is good from the off. We are lacking most in the full back areas and this is putting more pressure on the CB's, as well as the forwards not getting the right service with crosses going into the box.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think he's one of the most overrated players in Europe.

He's very classy and a good dribbler but he's 24 now and has yet to do anything particularly meaningful in his career thus far.
Hey, i'm not alone! :lol:

But seriously, i like him well enough in the DM role, his pace is a real asset and his energy and workrate are good. Plus he's good on the ball, hard to disposses and can turn pressing against you with his pace and dribbling. He is good, and has a lot of interesting tools

He's also a lesser attacking player than Ander Herrera, and he's not quite a world class ball winner or defensive player. At this point i think the best case scenario with him would be a lesser version of Kante but with great dribbling...

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
You're wrong, that number was being reported by trash Catalan rags, you rarely find Madrid players with clauses under 200M, let alone that ridiculously low number.

Edit: I see, 300M being reported by Marca

Last edited: