Mateo Kovacic

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Mateo Kovacic Latest Real Madrid Star to Hint at Exit After Insisting He Needs to 'Play More'
https://www.90min.com/posts/6077667...at-exit-after-insisting-he-needs-to-play-more
Mateo Kovacic is the latest Real Madrid star to hint at a summer exit, after admitting his desire to play more regular football next season could lead to him starting season 2018/19 with a new club.

The Croatia international has been linked with the likes of Juventus, Tottenham and Manchester United following two-and-a-half seasons with Madrid which has failed to see him secure a regular starting position alongside the club's star studded midfield.

With just 10 starts from his 21 La Liga appearances last season, Kovacic was forced to admit that no guarantees could be made over his future with the club - ensuring he has now joined the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale who have both suggested a summer move awaits.

"I believe I'll play more, whether in Real or somewhere else," Kovacic told reporters, via Goal.

"Now is the time for me to play. Offers? I am under contract with Real and I wish not to comment on other clubs."

The 24-year-old has lifted the league title and three Champions League crowns since arriving at the Bernabeu from Inter in 2015, amassing over 100 appearances for the Spanish giants in that time - predominantly from the bench.

Kovacic has been named in Croatia's preliminary 25-man squad for the World Cup, where their group games in Russia see them come up against Nigeria, Iceland and Argentina.

El Pasillo

IIRC, Kovacic's release clause is reportedly worth €50m.

Modric is argubaly the best midfielder in the world alongside with Kroos.

But he'll be 33 year old in few months and his legs are fading away.

Kovacic should be eased in as a starter in the up-coming season for Madrid IMO.

Infra-red

Great talent but we won't be interested with the Fred deal all but complete. Madrid would be silly to let him go.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Would love him to join us and it isnt beyond the realms of possibility he could join us. Alas he is a player I can see Spurs buying, and him being brilliant for them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Haven't watched him this season. With Fred now in, I'd like us to sign someone like Jorginho, Veratti...not another link/dynamic player. Pogba, Fred and Kovacic sounds like overkill to me. Unless his game has changed of course.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Abandon Fred and sign a Kovacic instead - genuinely elite talent who’d prosper with regular game time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yet he's at one and doesn't play?
Because the team he's playing at has the two best CM's and the best DM in football ahead of him.

Identical issue for James Rodriguez. Whose season this year is what I'd expect should Kovacic make the right move.

Gordon S

Fred-Thiago-Kovacic midfield could work.
3 natural cm’s with quick feet, good technical ability and good workrate to top it off.

Matic, Herrera and Pogba for backup and competition. Pogba is too talented to warm the bench of course but he could play as an am instead.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Because the team he's playing at has the two best CM's and the best DM in football ahead of him.

Identical issue for James Rodriguez. Whose season this year is what I'd expect should Kovacic make the right move.
Casemiro isn't the best DM in the world, and as Zidane showed last season if you're good enough you'll play

Understand I'm not saying Kovacic isn't good enough for us, far from it just the message I quoted was contradictory

El Jefe

I think he's one of the most overrated players in Europe.

He's very classy and a good dribbler but he's 24 now and has yet to do anything particularly meaningful in his career thus far.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he's one of the most overrated players in Europe.

He's very classy and a good dribbler but he's 24 now and has yet to do anything particularly meaningful in his career thus far.
Tbf though, kroos and Modric are the 2 best midfielders in the world. So it's not really a slight on him when not a single other player would get into their midfield over them 2.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
3 natural cm’s with quick feet, good technical ability and good workrate to top it off.

Matic, Herrera and Pogba for backup and competition. Pogba is too talented to warm the bench of course but he could play as an am instead.
Do the sheets stick to you when you wake up?

witchtrials

Yeah he'd be a perfect fit in a midfield three alongside two other midfielders who don't play for United. How will the link up with Dybala and Griezmann work though?

Vanya

He thrives on carrying the ball from midfield into attack. We need a player like that. But i believe Fred can do that job. We don't need Kovacic.

gaucho_10

He'd be the signing of the season. Immensely talented and not so inexperienced any more (he's the first player of the bench for all three of Caemiro, Modric and Kroos).

Don't think we'll be selling him.