Matheus Cunha

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Times ticking if we want to sign this guy or anyone for that matter. Don’t we need them signed by Friday to be able to feature against Liverpool?

adam118

His Goals and assists are not far off Felix's from last season in the league and he wasn't a regular starter. Felix got 8G 4A, Cunha 6G, 4A but the difference is Cunha has a decent defensive contribution too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The days of "is he good enough for us" are over. The question is "he surely cant be worse than what we have can he?"
We have issues signing known stars at top clubs. However that was pretty much the norm even during SAF's reign. For example we tried to sign Batistuta from FIORENTINA but his salary was higher then anything United could offer. Blomqvist turned us down to join first Milan then Parma, Zanetti turned Sir Alex down while Blanc turned us down multiple times and only joined when he was basically semi retired. I remember reading Blanc's old interview at the Inter official magazine and I was shocked what he said. He made the EPL players look like the German tribe who fought Maximus's army in the Gladiator movie. .

United's issue isn't down to us being unattractive but its down to us being incompetent. Take this window as an example. We got fixated with De Jong, even refusing to sign any other players while dealing with him. Then around two weeks ago we panicked. Its very difficult to sign players so late because most players had already committed themselves for next season + teams hate having to resort to panic signings. We've brought this mess on ourselves.

frostbite

You haven't answered or solved the issue. The selling club knows we are rich and desperate. Price goes up.

Goes for first, second or third choices.
Sure it goes up, but not by much. Because if you offer 10% above market value they will not ask you for 50% above market value, because they know you can leave and go get your next choice (and they will lose that 10%). If you work on it months ahead, you can do that. If it is just one week before the deadline, you can't do that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As someone who watches every Hertha game...

He was absolutely fantastic when he first joined us. Playing for a completely dysfunctional team that didn't have any other game plan than to give him the ball he essentially scored 12 goals in his first 17 appearances (I removed those two games after injury that had him play 15 and 7 minutes, also the German DFL insisted on labeling one of his goals an own goal by a defender, that's why the official numbers are a bit different). During that time he also scored 5 goals in 5 matches for Brazil's Olympic team, helping them qualify for the Olympics.

And then he stopped scoring....he literally only scored once in the remaining 20 games he played for Berlin. It's not like he forgot how to play though, felt more like a mental block as he even missed penalties.

I loosely followed his career at Atletico and it seemed to me that he may have gotten over that slump. Had to earn his minutes but was very efficient as a sub until he was rewarded with some starts.

50 million Euros sounds a bit weird though considering he only cost Atletico 30 millions and didn't have the type of season that would explain this type of increase.
This is good to know. Thanks! If he can give us something strong up front whether goalscoring or bringing others into play, seems he'll be a good addition given his dribbling and work rate is high. But important he does that and isn't just another limp option.

I think we are the stage where I accept we will overpay. Our squad is looking an absolute mess, we've started the season pathetically, fan pressure is enormous and we are a rich club. Everyone is going to jack up their demands at the moment as they know our hand is weak.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sure it goes up, but not by much. Because if you offer 10% above market value they will not ask you for 50% above market value, because they know you can leave and go get your next choice (and they will lose that 10%). If you work on it months ahead, you can do that. If it is just one week before the deadline, you can't do that.
Absolutely. We have worked ourselves into a corner as usual. Once are actually a proper football team on the pitch we'd at least be in a position to negotiate better. Right now we are a unique combination that makes us an easy prey.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is good to know. Thanks! If he can give us something strong up front whether goalscoring or bringing others into play, seems he'll be a good addition given his dribbling and work rate is high. But important he does that and isn't just another limp option.

I think we are the stage where I accept we will overpay. Our squad is looking an absolute mess, we've started the season pathetically, fan pressure is enormous and we are a rich club. Everyone is going to jack up their demands at the moment as they know our hand is weak.
we're overpaying because we left it late and we're shit in negotiating. If we were at the beginning of the transfer window and we went for Cunha, Scamacca, Icardi and Raphinha then rest assured that we would have signed a decent striker for a reasonable price.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
talkshite "sources"? does that amount to Kelvin McKenzie telling them to make something up? :):rolleyes:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This thread was missing never ending mitchmouse negativity, now it’s a real transfer thread! :drool:
there's nothing negative about saying I've never heard of him when I've never heard of him.

Oh... and how is all that positivity (aka lack of realistic approach) working?

Judas

Open to offers
I’m just having fun, it’s muppet season, I’m very negative when I need to be. My posts in the Utd forum have been nothing but misery for weeks :(

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’m just having fun, it’s muppet season, I’m very negative when I need to be. My posts in the Utd forum have been nothing but misery for weeks :(
I run classes twice a week (any profit is sent to United to help buy back Bebe)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If he was signed for 20 million, not sure why we are paying 50 million year later when he barely started for them.

We have made real mess of this window. If we want to take some random punts, it should be low costs one, not 50 million which is a big enough fee to sign very good players.

Irrational.

I’d have shit goalscoring stats too if I was a striker under Diego Simeone. Don’t forget they live for narrow 1-0 wins. My shithousery and “falling over if someone breathes in the same postcode as me” stats would be through the roof though.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Times ticking if we want to sign this guy or anyone for that matter. Don’t we need them signed by Friday to be able to feature against Liverpool?
No one we sign this week will feature against Liverpool. These guys needs visas sorted and as we've seen it takes a few days for that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s valued at €50m because they signed him for €26m with a 10% sell-on clause back to Hertha (source: Romano) with 4 years still left on his contract. This isn’t “such an MU signing” — its just basic logic that Atletico are using over their player. It was very similar logic to Nunez who Benfica signed for around the same price and had an even higher sell on clause from Nunez’s original club.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s valued at €50m because they signed him for €26m with a 10% sell-on clause back to Hertha (source: Romano) with 4 years still left on his contract. This isn’t “such an MU signing” — its just basic logic that Atletico are using over their player. It was very similar logic to Nunez who Benfica signed for around the same price and had an even higher sell on clause from Nunez’s original club.
Sure, but clubs aren’t just entitled to a profit. He’s a sub for them most weeks. Looking to double their money on a guy that hasn’t exactly pulled up any trees with them is great if they get the money but if not, they can’t really complain.

Castia

They won’t accept €50m :lol:

Clubs don’t want to sell their players after the season has kicked off, we are absolutely useless.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sure, but clubs aren’t just entitled to a profit. He’s a sub for them most weeks. Looking to double their money on a guy that hasn’t exactly pulled up any trees with them is great if they get the money but if not, they can’t really complain.
Of course, but that’s how you start a negotiation. Especially this late into a transfer window and when the team looking at your player is quite possibly the most desperate club in Europe right now. If they can’t get that sort of profit I’m sure they'd have no qualms just keeping him for another year.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think they'd be selling if they didn't need that kind of money. He's their only #9 other than Morata as the rest are support strikers or #10s like Griezmann and Felix. I'd much rather get him than pay 35M or so for Morata, who is trash.

yamo123x

Any first offer we make will be rejected, im sure Gary Neville tipped off the world to reject our first bids anyway.

We are desperate so we end up paying well over the odds, like we did with Martinez.

It is a very very poor show by our recruitment team and for all his promise Murtough is not delivering and this is worse than Woodward's stint.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Atletico don't want to sell. Either his release clause is paid or he stays.