Matheus Nunes - Wolverhampton Wanderers

massey

I'm at a loss to explain how Wolves, after signing Nunes a year ago for £42m - effectively taking a very successful punt on him adapting to the Premier League - are now selling Nunes for £47m to city.

City either have the best transfer negotiators in the business. Or...?
Yep or there's undisclosed money as per usual,when you get away with something for this long why stop.

sirAlexsglasses

There is no way……..that Wolves spent £42m on Nunes a year ago, and accepted £47m with 48 hours remaining to sign a replacement for not just a squad player but a key player in their first 11.

philippexyz

Publicly quoted fee is probably the baseline fee, with a large signing bonus from a shell company(s) and it is funneled to the selling club, agents, player, and maybe even buying club in some form of third party transfer consultant that is controlled by CFG.

Since when does a player move after 1 full season for the slightest of marginal gain on their initial transfer fee? And wages aren't an issue?

Bellingham had one or two very good years at Dortmund then went exponentially higher to Madrid. Makes sense.

Even di Maria went for a few million less after a poor season at United to PSG. But it wasn't as if he was totally written off as a loss because it was only 1 year from a player United desperately wanted to get rid of.
Yeah, i never believe in the "official", public City transfer fees and wages. Who knows really how much people employed at that club really earn, what is happening under the table? I believe Guardiola could be a billionaire by now, or at least close to it.

When people mention that City's net spend particularly high(compared to United, Chelsea and Arsenal, for example) i say that is not relevant at all.
The true power of City lies in what they do(spend) "behind the scenes" - scouting, management, facilities, academy, secret additional payments of employees...

Logistical, financial support of a whole oil rich nation(UAE). They're not really a football club in a normal sense - they're something far more grander, sinister, foul. Geopolitical, vane PR project for displaying soft power and what people like to call "sportswashing".

Idxomer

City, Wolvez and Mendes. Can you get any more dodgy than this trio?

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It's a sort of a cartel between dodgy clubs. Basically mafia clubs. City, Wolves, Chelsea. Tons of others in Europe too. They buy and sell from each other and circumnavigate the FFP. It's been happening for decades now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
City signed him for 62 million euros, which is around 53 million pounds. That's a reasonable price tbh, nothing dodgy about it.

sirAlexsglasses

City signed him for 62 million euros, which is around 53 million pounds. That's a reasonable price tbh, nothing dodgy about it.
under normal circumstances probably not, but less than 48 hours before the window closes and they have no time to replace a key player with 4 years left on their contract…….I’d say it is.

OverratedOpinion

Is it not only a few million more than they brought him for?

Add that to the fact he has clearly shown enough at Wolves for the treble winners to want him, it being late in the window and Wolves having already sold a midfielder for big money. Compared with what midfielders are going for this summer it feels strange.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
under normal circumstances probably not, but less than 48 hours before the window closes and they have no time to replace a key player with 4 years left on their contract…….I’d say it is.
Is it not only a few million more than they brought him for?

Add that to the fact he has clearly shown enough at Wolves for the treble winners to want him, it being late in the window and Wolves having already sold a midfielder for big money. Compared with what midfielders are going for this summer it feels strange.
Both fair enough points.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

I thought his next club would be PSG or Liverpool, albeit in a season or two given Wolves just acquired him only a year ago.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I really wanted us to sign him when he was at sporting and now he’s joined city! Would he of been a better purchase than Mount for a similar price…

AneRu

Or they just have better negociators than MU and many many, other clubs in the world.

And they got a plan. Not saying that they don't have many skeletons in their closet, they absolutely have, but this just sounds like sour grapes. There's currently no real reason for him to chose MU, or any other PL top club for that matter, over Man City. They sold Palmer who never had a real chance under Guardiola and never would have, to buy a player more suited to their system. System being the key word here. Palmer will do well elsewhere, imo. People might (rightly, most of the time) object to Man City's dealings, but they buy and sell smart. Furthermore, from a player point of view, it's just a no-brainer, especially with them now breaking that perennial CL mental block. They now have a bit more than just the financial pull.

No aiming at you personally, but I get the feeling that too many people are letting their bias getting in the way of facts.
The merits for the signing are well known but if you believe the reported fee well, let's just say, I have an airport to sell you. Its clear what's happened here, Mendes engineered a deal with a much higher fee, he will receive it via back channels and Wolves will get one of Mendes' players in Portugal for a song with Mendes covering whatever costs from his City loot. Any other club would be paying 60m plus, its not a negotiation its a racket.

black country red

I really wanted us to sign him when he was at sporting and now he’s joined city! Would he of been a better purchase than Mount for a similar price…
I come from near dingle land and I do believe they found him underwhelming not complaining about him going

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Similar price to Mount and Mount had done more with Chelsea than Nunes with Wolves.

+English tax and homegrown tax.

sirAlexsglasses

You can pretty much guarantee that the price would have been a lot more had we come calling, because people know we are absolute dog , when it comes to negotiating transfers.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Girona fans must be fuming losing their 20m rated defender so cheap to Wolves to help City fund this.