Matheus Nunes - Wolverhampton Wanderers

BerryBerryShrew

I don’t really agree with this. He is not an attacking midfielder at all.

When you think of an attacking midfielder you think if someone like Bruno, Ozil, Kaká, etc. guys who are very active in the final third and contribute heavy with goals and assists by getting at the edge of the box or late runs into the box. Nunes does non of that.

Nunes is a straight up box to box CM, no debate. He is very difficult to dispossess and assists defensively with pressing and winning the ball back. If he did not do that then Sporting would struggle heavily in their 2 man midfield.

Nunes wins the ball or gets the ball in Sporting final third and drives the ball forward, helping out at both ends, that’s the definition of a box to box midfielder.

Also if you watch him or even in some of thr videos you can see his ability to hold the ball and retain possession when being pressed to be able to pass it to the open man or switch it out wide with a long ball.

United okay a 4-2–3-1, Nunes would never play in behind the sticker (AKA the attacking mid position) that is not his position.
If he's a B2B who has a certain amount of defensive nous, then he would fit in well to a midfield with FdJ wouldn't he? If so, it is infuriating that we aren't in for him.

Wrecking ralf

We could get Rabiot and Nunes for cheaper than what we’ll pay for Frenkie. Surely we’d be in a better position that way. Not seen one thing linking us to him though. Mental.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If he's a B2B who has a certain amount of defensive nous, then he would fit in well to a midfield with FdJ wouldn't he? If so, it is infuriating that we aren't in for him.
Absolutely he could.

SportingCP96

Supports
Apparently rejected West Ham.
Yep West Ham boss confirmed it.

He has rejected both West Ham and Wolves now.

This kid is not dumb. Why leave Sporting to go to a smaller club in the EPL when he can play CL and get better exposure.

He will only leave to a big club.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think he'd be a good fit for all of City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal to be honest.

I can only think that Mendes is waiting until the FDJ/Bernardo Silva circus reaches its conclusion, whatever that may be. Then he most likely goes to City, especially if they have sold Bernardo. If that doesn't happen, I can see a number of other clubs then trying to compete for him in the last days of the window.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think he'd be a good fit for all of City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal to be honest.

I can only think that Mendes is waiting until the FDJ/Bernardo Silva circus reaches its conclusion, whatever that may be. Then he most likely goes to City, especially if they have sold Bernardo. If that doesn't happen, I can see a number of other clubs then trying to compete for him in the last days of the window.
I keep saying it and I’ll say it again, I think he wants a City offer. Ever since the remarks Pep made about him I have no doubt he wants to play for a coach that is so fond of him.

SportingCP96

Supports
MY GOD.

The fecking goal this boy just scored !! What a rocket.

SportingCP96

Supports
Just turned over to see that goal. Some power in that shot.
If he adds that to his game he will be unreal.

He needs to more of that, in 3 years at Sporting that is the first goal he has scored like that.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yep West Ham boss confirmed it.

He has rejected both West Ham and Wolves now.

This kid is not dumb. Why leave Sporting to go to a smaller club in the EPL when he can play CL and get better exposure.

He will only leave to a big club.
It is either city or Liverpool.

SportingCP96

Supports
I want to throw up. I have not been so gutted about a loss in a long time. Losing a player like this at this point in the transfer window is a gut punch especially before a key game vs Porto.

Season is in the garbage as fas as I am concerned now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Why say yes after initially declining Matheus, I will ask ways root for him but to go to a club like Wolves? come on.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why say yes after initially declining Matheus, I will ask ways root for him but to go to a club like Wolves? come on.
I hear you mate. It sucks. Unless he thinks the big clubs that were sniffing around him this summer won’t come back again and he wants to take the PL wages now, I don’t understand not being a little more patient with your career.

SportingCP96

Supports
I hear you mate. It sucks. Unless he thinks the big clubs that were sniffing around him this summer won’t come back again and he wants to take the PL wages now, I don’t understand not being a little more patient with your career.
I don't think it was what he wanted. Sporting have Mendes in the mix and I think the president got in his ear saying Sporting need the money etc.

Looks to me like Sporting want the money more so then Nunes wants the move. Mendes is starting the Money trade and I suspect Sporting and Braga will make a deal soon. Quote this for when it happens.

The reason I come to this conclusions is he just rejected going to West Ham which is a bigger club then Wolves and have a better squad arguably, then you say yes to Wolves (Mendes club) after initially saying no?

Nah mate their is more at play here. Thats why I am even more gutted.

Blood Mage

He looks too good for Wolves, not sure why a bigger club isn't taking a punt.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
I'm furious with this sale.

There was no need to sell him. We were even told that Tabata's sale was to help Mathus Nunes stay. Now this.

We could easily sell him for the release clause.

SportingCP96

Supports
I'm furious with this sale.

There was no need to sell him. We were even told that Tabata's sale was to help Mathus Nunes stay. Now this.

We could easily sell him for the release clause.
Amorim must be furious. It seems he was told Nunes would stay so this sale must cause a rift between him and the board.

Also welcome I don’t think I’ve seen you before ! Nice to have another sporting fan

SportingCP96

Supports
I felt pain changing the thread name from Sporting to Wolves.

I guess we will follow his progression here.

SportingCP96

Supports
More rumors coming out of Portugal now that Varandas (our president) closed the deal without consulting with Hugo Viana (Sporting Director) or Ruben Amorim.

Amorim in the past 2 press conferences commented on various occasions that moves were made so that Nunes can stay one more season as he was a vital player.

Outlets in Portugal stating Amorim and Viana were completely blindsided by this transfer and in complete shock as they were told no offer was to be accepted for Nunes in this window.

Furthermore Nunes was seen leaving the facilities in tears (as has been noted before he did not want to leave). Matheus Nunes mother also confirming that Matheus did not expect to leave Sporting this transfer window.

If all of this is true then I would not be surprised if Amorim would want to leave Sporting. This smells like like some shady dealings between Varandas and Mendes.

Very curious to see what Amorim says in the press conference.

TheGame

More rumors coming out of Portugal now that Varandas (our president) closed the deal without consulting with Hugo Viana (Sporting Director) or Ruben Amorim.

Amorim in the past 2 press conferences commented on various occasions that moves were made so that Nunes can stay one more season as he was a vital player.

Outlets in Portugal stating Amorim and Viana were completely blindsided by this transfer and in complete shock as they were told no offer was to be accepted for Nunes in this window.

Furthermore Nunes was seen leaving the facilities in tears (as has been noted before he did not want to leave). Matheus Nunes mother also confirming that Matheus did not expect to leave Sporting this transfer window.

If all of this is true then I would not be surprised if Amorim would want to leave Sporting. This smells like like some shady dealings between Varandas and Mendes.

To be fair, I would be in tears if I was heading from Lisbon to Wolverhampton.

BerryBerryShrew

We have Mendes biggest and most lucrative client under a contract that he wants to get out of. While I recognise that Wolves is effectively Mendes' personal plaything, we could surely have used the Ronaldo situation as leverage to get Nunes to come here. Unfortunately, our scouts have probably never even heard of the guy let alone considered bidding for him.

chicha14

Fans need to vote this tool out of the club!

SportingCP96

Supports
If Sporting fails to qualify for Champions League next season, that might happen.
Varandas is on a balloon called Ruben Amorim. That is the only move he managed to get right, the moment Amorim leaves the club, Sporting is going to fall so hard that I am worried about what will happen.

If it’s true that Amorim has no knowledge of this deal when it was done then that’s one nail in the coffin. A loss to Porto will be another one coming.

This transfer by Varandas may have single-handedly cost Sporting the season already.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Varandas is on a balloon called Ruben Amorim. That is the only move he managed to get right, the moment Amorim leaves the club, Sporting is going to fall so hard that I am worried about what will happen.

If it’s true that Amorim has no knowledge of this deal when it was done then that’s one nail in the coffin. A loss to Porto will be another one coming.

This transfer by Varandas may have single-handedly cost Sporting the season already.
It was a strange timing for the transfer. Now Sporting needs to move as quick as possible in the market to get a center midfielder. Fortunately it is a position that has a lot of offer in the market, unlike defenders or strikers.

SportingCP96

Supports
Good luck on your debut kid. Hope you show the world how great you are starting with the game today!