Matic and Lukaku quotes

Velvet Revolver

Good to see the desire from these too. Not just words they show it on the pitch too. And I guess that's what Jose wants to see in all his players. Hopefully, we buy players next season that fit his mold.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
See the key word is back up, I'm not sure Jose will use him as back up. Same with Fellaini, he gets tempted to use the dull option. We need 2 new full back's who will start weekly.
He will be a back up if we get a good attacking left back in the summer. Fellaini has started 5 games the entire season and Pogba was injured for 4 of them.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like Lukaku and his fighting spiriting is something I wish other players had but his quotes are unnecessary, he's pretty much calling his teammates shit and turning into a transfer muppet. Shouldn't be talking about things like publicly, how does that help with creating the siege mentality Mourinho seems to love?

RedBrickWall

I wasn’t too sold on Lukaku to begin with due to some of the faults in his game, but the past couple of months workrate and desire he’s shown on the pitch have won me over he’s definitely got what it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 90678

But, Lukaku isn't straight out of the box? He has things in his game that need ironing out. The same with Rashford who is very inconsistent.

I'm hard pressed to find any top manager that doesn't demand the right mentality from his players. Wasn't SAF someone who would make sure to screen out the personality of potential signings?

Is that something you can coach into a player? I'm not sure.
Good post, not sure of the exact statement but I'm sure Fergie said he used to look in the players eyes after they won a trophy and see if they had the desire to start over again and win it the following year.
The right attitude and work ethic can turn a average player into a good player.
I for one will back the opinion of a habitual trophy winner than the opinion of a pundit or armchair manager.

arthurka

See the key word is back up, I'm not sure Jose will use him as back up. Same with Fellaini, he gets tempted to use the dull option. We need 2 new full back's who will start weekly.
I agree with that... But having Young here will help with that transition as I don´t see us selling Shaw and not buying a first choice LB this summer. Valencia isn´t getting younger so I am all for extending Young´s contract.

Coops73

The seeds of destruction of squad harmony are being sewn, and people are cheering the fact players are being actively encouraged to turn on one another. Madness.
Not really sure how you’re coming to that conclusion after those comments, I assume you’re referring to Matics quotes about Mourinho whom he knows really well. I guess we all read into it in different ways but I’m not sure Mourinho would get some of his players to deliberately cause division in the squad.

JK-27

I agree with that... But having Young here will help with that transition as I don´t see us selling Shaw and not buying a first choice LB this summer. Valencia isn´t getting younger so I am all for extending Young´s contract.
Valencia is actually younger than Ashley Young (by a month), so if you think Valencia's time is up then Young's has to be too.

We need a new RB, no question. And Valencia could be back up to that RB. I am of the opinion that Shaw is and will be a quality LB, so Young can be back up to Shaw.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For some reason the way Matic presents himself in interviews reminds me a lot of Carrick, both very professional. Would be happy to see him as captain next season, he's been a really fantastic signing and proved myself and a lot of doubters wrong. Lukaku seems to love being here, very grateful for having him too, gives his all and has probably been our best outfield player since the turn of the year.

RedPnutz

Or the manager actually man-manages the players in the correct way to get the best out of them. Not everyone responds well to the stick.
He’s been mostly praising the team this year and who can claim to know that he doesn’t approach differently in private? The base assumption is always that Mourinho only knows how to show the stick.

Manny

Grammar Police
Nothing wrong with any of those quotes.

Just like we criticise the manager, a lot of these players have had at least a couple of seasons to get their ass in gear and if they are still underperforming, they need to be binned.

I remember Keane coming out in 01 or 02, after we underperformed and got knocked out of the CL, and saying it might be the end of the line for some of those players. Sometimes sh!t needs to be said.

arthurka

Valencia is actually younger than Ashley Young (by a month), so if you think Valencia's time is up then Young's has to be too.

We need a new RB, no question. And Valencia could be back up to that RB. I am of the opinion that Shaw is and will be a quality LB, so Young can be back up to Shaw.
Never talked about age in that regard just pointed out that Valencia is getting older and Young could be back up on both sides. I am sure that Shaw will leave this summer that is if Jose wont have a huge implosion before the season ends.

walkinhop

Yeah he does deserve criticism for that but i still firmly believe not all players have the mentality to play for us so I'm with Jose in that we need guys like Lukaku and Matic and less of the other sort.

I think Jose has shown he can instil it in some of our players but we all know he's not good at utilising those who aren't 100% dedicated. Do we as fans want those giving less than 100% though?
Well, we first need to ask ourselves whether we want to be his team. Both aforementioned players are work horses and, bar special moments, don't shine with any creativity. Are we ready to give up on watching football? If it means guaranteed PLs and maybe a CL over some period, sure. The issue is when we lose, the pain is tenfold.

Member 90887

It's time that the players start taking responsability. to posters saying that this will destroy the harmony of the group, if it does then it certainly there's a problem with the group. this should motivate them, there's no reason to disagree with what's been said as this is how it should be.

Is a player doesn't like it, he can feck right off of the club. it's time we stop protecting them, saying that it's always the manager. our players can't do the basic shit right.

We have absolute dross in the squad and we have some quality players.

There are players that are happy to get paid and play for manchester united. there are players that should absolutely not be here.

Smores

Well, we first need to ask ourselves whether we want to be his team. Both aforementioned players are work horses and, bar special moments, don't shine with any creativity. Are we ready to give up on watching football? If it means guaranteed PLs and maybe a CL over some period, sure. The issue is when we lose, the pain is tenfold.
Give up on watching football is a bit much? How do you think 99% of football fans cope with watching their lesser teams?

People are being far too dramatic, some of our games have been bad i won't deny that but its not been all season like is being portrayed

GM K

Hope I'm wrong and just being too pessimistic but it looks like a split in 2 groups. The ones that obey and fit and the ones that are misused and can't adapt. The Mourinho camp and the rest.

Usually, i would be on the manager's side but since some the players that don't fit are his buys...it begs the question why he bought them if they don't fit. Surely, a compromise is the best solution but i don't think it's possible with the egos involved.

I just fear we might lose top talent because we can't or won't manage them properly. If we bring top talent that fits in return, so be it. If not, however, we'll be at the start of yet another rebuild. This time with the same manager.
Aren't all players supposed to it into the 'manager's side'?

I think Jose is a hard taskmaster and not all players can deal with that. If he gets his players thinking like him, he will have a formidable team as he has had many times in his career. But if he doesn't and the dressing room cracks due to his desire to have one by all means, then he gets fired or he walks. That's probably the story of his managerial career.

I will suggest that the board backs him fully and the fans be patient with him at least for one more season. One thing is sure, he does well at building winning teams and even after he leaves, the next manager often has good players to continue with. Already, any other manager will relish having Lukaku, Bailly, Sanchez, Matic etc as personnel to build around.

GM K

What you are saying is logical.
But believe it or not, there are some on this forum who think that Sanchez is a failure for us. :p
It is way too early to tag a player of Sanchez's calibre a failure.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Perhaps there is a reason why the manager picks and praise them every game.
You could also say it is why some teams never win anything, because the manager always praises players who are actually not achieving much, even if the players are being led to believe they are.
Why does the word achieve always looks like you have spelt it wrong?:(

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Give up on watching football is a bit much? How do you think 99% of football fans cope with watching their lesser teams?

People are being far too dramatic, some of our games have been bad i won't deny that but its not been all season like is being portrayed
The way people have spoken about us after the Seville result you'd think we were 7th. It was a really poor showing and left a sour taste but surely that can't erase the three cracking results before it, coming from 2 down to beat Palace and then beating two of our rivals in crucial top 4 games

GM K

He’s been mostly praising the team this year and who can claim to know that he doesn’t approach differently in private? The base assumption is always that Mourinho only knows how to show the stick.
People conveniently forget all the praises when he brings out the stick. Jose probably praises his players 90% of the time and criticizes them when the team plays as shite as the Sevilla game or as average as the Brighton game.

If we have players who can deal with those criticisms like real fighters and buckle up, then we'll be back to the top of world football in no time.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Matic and Lukaku are the reason why we've broken our 5 year shitty spell and are holding down 2nd place. They're speaking like outsiders because they are. They've come into a team that has no clue what it means or feels like to be a winner. They're carrying the flag for Mourinho.

rhajdu

Matic and Lukaku are the reason why we've broken our 5 year shitty spell and are holding down 2nd place. They're speaking like outsiders because they are. They've come into a team that has no clue what it means or feels like to be a winner. They're carrying the flag for Mourinho.
It's not a surprise that they are playing every possible game.

AR87

Matic's mentality stood out to me after we drew to Stoke away in the beginning of the year. He said something like if we want to win the league results like that are unacceptable. Lukaku has only talked about winning trophies and how helping the team is more important for him than scoring goals constantly.

Their mentality is 100% what we need more of in the squad.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
"We are Manchester United, we have to improve every year and I know that a lot of players, a lot of good players, will come in next season. That's for sure," said Lukaku after Saturday's win.
Think he's playing with fire here. It's his first season in the squad and he's basically telling the rest of his teammates that a lot of them would be replaced in the summer.

Obviously I know nothing about what goes on in the dressing room, but the only way I see this turning out well is if the majority of the players are all on the same page with Mou.

walkinhop

You can't take the team stature out of context when talking about fandom. Supporting United is due to different reasons for all of us but in the end we do. It's silly to just bend over simply because other teams do. It's also silly to just pluck expectations out of the whole picture and compare.

As for giving up on football, what i meant is actual football with the ball, creativity, not the sport itself.

walkinhop

Aren't all players supposed to it into the 'manager's side'?

I think Jose is a hard taskmaster and not all players can deal with that. If he gets his players thinking like him, he will have a formidable team as he has had many times in his career. But if he doesn't and the dressing room cracks due to his desire to have one by all means, then he gets fired or he walks. That's probably the story of his managerial career.

I will suggest that the board backs him fully and the fans be patient with him at least for one more season. One thing is sure, he does well at building winning teams and even after he leaves, the next manager often has good players to continue with. Already, any other manager will relish having Lukaku, Bailly, Sanchez, Matic etc as personnel to build around.
It doesn't really address my points, though. Some good players might remain and others won't. All players should be on the manager's side, ideally. However, if you buy a running horse and use it for field work, the horse might not feel alright or show its strengths. I expected some players to not fit Mourinho's plans but I'm slightly concerned when his purchases are the odd ones out.

I'm also for one extra season only because it will give us ample time to prepare for post Mourinho cycle. I just don' want to see us losing talent until then.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
People moan about spineless squad, and then also moan when the manager and some players say the same thing. The bottom line is, you're never going to win with mentally weak players.

I would sell Pogba without hesitation. At Juventus he was a kid surrounded by men, and he did well providing some extra quality as long as others around him carried most of the load. At United he was asked to be a leader and he completely folded under pressure, using everything as an excuse. One would expect him to come in to the Sevilla game and put the team on his shoulders, and instead he gives a "mister, take me out of the game" performance. If only McTominay had his talent.

POF

I meant mentally. I don't think you can really question the mentally of the likes of Lukaku and Matic, or even someone like Rashford who always works hard on the pitch and who you only ever hear good things about from managers, coaches, players, etc.

You need to get the riight mentality out of players, but they don't all come instilled with it...and it's pretty clear Jose isn't getting it from them at this point. People go on about his tactics, but whatever the tactics, the players just look lethargic. They look like they're warming up for the game instead of playing in it.

Of coourse the have to take criticism foor that, because to be frank iit's bordered on being absolutely pathetic at times, but it's the manager's job to cut it out. I don't think you'll find many squads of players where you have 10+ Lukakus or Matics who more or less don't need to be managed or motivated.

You also have to keep in mind that we've signed a lot of players under Jose, and somme of them are clearly in the category of players who don't have this mentality, so if it's such an important aspect for him to have players who come with the mentality ready made, why is the club happy for us to sign players who don't have it?
I think this is one of the hardest things to coach. You can improve a player's ability and tactical awareness but it is really difficult to coach an inherent winning mentality. I think it is possible to develop it but mainly through being in an environment where the entire squad has that burning desire to win. Fergie often talked about signing players based on their character.

That said, I agree with your last point. Jose has signed plenty of players and if they don't have that winning mentality you have to question why he bought them.