Matic and Lukaku quotes

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The seeds of destruction of squad harmony are being sewn, and people are cheering the fact players are being actively encouraged to turn on one another. Madness.
Exacty. Players coming out and calling other out isn't something to cheer on. Thats how fractures start in dressing rooms.

Mourinho suck them off a bit and they decide to follow suit into his antics.

Sigh

GM K

It doesn't really address my points, though. Some good players might remain and others won't. All players should be on the manager's side, ideally. However, if you buy a running horse and use it for field work, the horse might not feel alright or show its strengths. I expected some players to not fit Mourinho's plans but I'm slightly concerned when his purchases are the odd ones out.

I'm also for one extra season only because it will give us ample time to prepare for post Mourinho cycle. I just don' want to see us losing talent until then.

Fair points

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I thought Matic spoke well from what I read.

Lukaku for me shouldn't have said anything about new players coming in and that the manager will be happy blah blah. I don't think it's a good thing to say when you're a part of a team. Is he implying in public that some of his team mates are shit? Not saying it will, but it can cause friction with his team mates. It's not his place to say something like that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That Lukaku quote about a lot of new players is bizarre, how can he be so sure
Because Mourinho walked around the dressing room after the Sevilla game like Will from the Inbetweeners when he didn’t get served in the pub.

He’s getting sold. And him. Him too. Him? Sold. Him? We won’t even get double figures for him! Him? SOLD.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The only player I think that has performed well enough over the course of the season is DeGea. I really don't think any other player is in a position to call out others. Matic has been quite consistent to be fair but has struggled in some games and looked ponderous at times. He hasn't raised us a level. Lukaku ? If I'm honest he's had some shocking games throughout the season. For me I see him being a problem for us long term because his all round game needs a lot of polishing. He's scored goals and I'd presume will continue to do that but he won't help with cohesion and despite being in favour with Jose, I don't think others will look at him and think fair enough he's walked the walk.

Revaulx

You also have to keep in mind that we've signed a lot of players under Jose, and somme of them are clearly in the category of players who don't have this mentality, so if it's such an important aspect for him to have players who come with the mentality ready made, why is the club happy for us to sign players who don't have it?
Because they haven’t a clue. All they’re interested is how many Instachat followers they have, or whether their agent is from the right Masonic lodge :mad:

Given Jose’s supposed attention to detail and analysis of opponents’ strengths and weaknesses, you’d think that he’d be able to assess that himself. It’s surprising and disappointing that he’s not better at it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Build the team around those with real desire and bring in more of the same ilk.
Matic may not be the youngest, but he's still got 3 or 4 years left in him.

These are the kind of players that will follow instructions, attack when told (so long as the rest of the team does too), and do it for the fans.

Jose knows his mistake now, I think. A few luxury players is great and would be fine if the majority of the team has the attitude of these two. We do need world class talent, but not at the expense of attitude right now. Looking forward to the clearout.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think this is one of the hardest things to coach. You can improve a player's ability and tactical awareness but it is really difficult to coach an inherent winning mentality. I think it is possible to develop it but mainly through being in an environment where the entire squad has that burning desire to win. Fergie often talked about signing players based on their character.

That said, I agree with your last point. Jose has signed plenty of players and if they don't have that winning mentality you have to question why he bought them.
Signing players based on their character is difficult too. My gripe there would be less that were not good at it and more that we don't even try to do it in the first place.

I think Though, you can coach a team of players to have a hunger and belief in what they are doing. When you look at city's squad, I'm not having that their squad is full of people with a better mentality than our players. A lot of them are proven summer's.

The difference is they come out and play every week like they as hungry and confident. United come out and look like a group of people who hate football and have been dragged out of bed and forced to play it at 5am. Jose can bang on about heritage all he likes, but there's a clear problem with the attitude with which we approach games.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Think he's playing with fire here. It's his first season in the squad and he's basically telling the rest of his teammates that a lot of them would be replaced in the summer.

Obviously I know nothing about what goes on in the dressing room, but the only way I see this turning out well is if the majority of the players are all on the same page with Mou.
I'd be comfortable if I were him exactly because he of this. In his first season and already performing at higher levels than people who have been here for years.

Most of the players we have at the club now can be said to be failed United players. They've been the constant in an unsuccessful period at the club.

haram

Makes me sick that Lukaku was the one called a donkey for months when he is the one who cares the most. Now everyone loves him. If it wasn’t for his hard work and desire where would he be?

Other players who care less get a free ride though.

sajeev

Meh, it is just the teacher's pets spouting his message.
Matic, for all his individual performances hasn't really helped the team. Also made us slower as a team compared to Herrera, without much benefit. Plays well in a few matches after being a drag for a while, and now blames his team mates. Certainly symptomatic of the Mourinho school of poisoning the squad chemistry. Should get rid whenever Mourinho goes.

donkeyfish

Signing players based on their character is difficult too. My gripe there would be less that were not good at it and more that we don't even try to do it in the first place.

I think Though, you can coach a team of players to have a hunger and belief in what they are doing. When you look at city's squad, I'm not having that their squad is full of people with a better mentality than our players. A lot of them are proven summer's.

The difference is they come out and play every week like they as hungry and confident. United come out and look like a group of people who hate football and have been dragged out of bed and forced to play it at 5am. Jose can bang on about heritage all he likes, but there's a clear problem with the attitude with which we approach games.
There's a lot of factors. I've no doubt it's possible to improve with coaching, just as I've no doubt it's impossible to make coaching the only relevant feature.

Personality is not something that change easily, nor is it something easy to describe from the outside.

When you see United in the state of paralysis against Sevilla, it could be nerves, it could be they dislike the tactics, it could be they don't mentally prepare sufficiently for the occasion. In every of those cases it could be poor management, poor personell, bad luck or a combination.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You can only appreciate players who have this attitude tbh because it's a sign that they're true winners and they can give satisfaction to whoever coaches them, not just Mourinho.

There's a lot of factors. I've no doubt it's possible to improve with coaching, just as I've no doubt it's impossible to make coaching the only relevant feature.

Personality is not something that change easily, nor is it something easy to describe from the outside.

When you see United in the state of paralysis against Sevilla, it could be nerves, it could be they dislike the tactics, it could be they don't mentally prepare sufficiently for the occasion. In every of those cases it could be poor management, poor personell, bad luck or a combination.
It's without a doubt a combination of many things. Mourinho for all his faults, cannot be blamed alone.

Ashley R1+O

It is probably a season, maybe two too early for Lukaku to be skipper. I can definitely see Matic taking the armband next season though - if he does also have the same type of rawness. I think he'd be a great skipper.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I'd be comfortable if I were him exactly because he of this. In his first season and already performing at higher levels than people who have been here for years.

Most of the players we have at the club now can be said to be failed United players. They've been the constant in an unsuccessful period at the club.
Oh I have little doubt his place is secure! What I meant was I don't know if his teammates would take kindly to him saying that sort of thing to the media, given that he's new.

I think you're reading too much into it. I doubt people are going to be that upset over him saying good players will be added to the squad in the summer.
Certainly a possibility. I just think it can easily be taken negatively by his teammates. Given that squad size is limited, saying that "a lot" of new players would be coming in was just half a step short of saying many of his current teammates would be getting shipped out. Hopefully the dressing room isn't nearly as negative as is being speculated by us and the media, or I could see this turning bad.

Kapardin

Matic quotes
Asked if the FA Cup could save United's season, Matic replied: "I think no. If we win the FA Cup it is good, but not perfect. You have four competitions in the season - if you win one for me it is not enough, but you always have to do your best. In the Premier League, when you are in the first four this is not perfect but is good to play for the Champions League next season. If you win the FA Cup I cannot say it is a successful season, but it's a good season.
Compare this to Blind saying winning FA Cup and coming 5th was a successful end to the season. The difference in mentality is so clear, one is content with mid-table mediocrity and the other is a league winner who is not content with just domestic cups and Top 4 finishes.

This is what we have needed. Credit to Lukaku too, he seems driven to win trophies, which is understandable as he hasn't yet won much.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

It could be a number of things but it is very clearly a problem. It isn't just against Seville, it is literally every game. The first half against Chelsea it looked like we were warming up for a training session. Against Palace it was the same until it was 2-0...and these are the supposed good performances.

Any game this season you can find stats for, United have put in less work than the opposition.

If you're the manager your job is to find out what the problem is and get to the bottom of it. Jose seems to have only just acknowledged that there is even a problem, and only because he wants to use it to deflect criticism from himself.

It's about the most obvious problem there can be. Regardless of tactics or "negative approach" or anything else, nothing will work as well as it should if the players aren't putting the effort in to make it.

POF

I definitely agree that top managers can get players to buy in to what they're doing and that belief makes the team more successful.

Jose currently seems to be struggling to get the players on his side. In his first spell at Chelsea you got the impression that the players would run through walls for him. At United he seems to have a running battle with a number of players to put a basic level of effort in.

Success breeds confidence and that certainly seems to be the case for City. With United, whenever they seem to be on a good run, it usually ends with an utter shit show like Spurs away and Sevilla at home. Not sure if that's down to the players or Jose but it reflects badly on all of them.