Matic - Debut season review

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think he's been a bit over-rated on here. Started extremely well, but has rarely hit those heights again other than a match here and there. He's also had quite a few matches where he has been decidedly poor. Overall if we compare him to someone like Carrick (who is the obvious comparison for us), Matic is nowhere even close.

In saying that he's still done well and has been arguably our best player this season. Next season if we bring in the right midfielder it could be as beneficial to Matic as it is to Pogba (and the team as a whole).

Rajma

Solid throughout, had to cover for Pogba's deficiencies a lot which contributed to him being knackered. However, his inability to release the ball without taking few extra touches made us a bit static on transitions. Needs a competition and someone to rotate with for next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Best player in the team bar Dave.

Great signing all in all. Wish Pogba could learn from him.
This. Most consistent outfield player (even if he's suffered a dip in form recently). Probably the only player in our team to run with the ball to open up spaces and not lose the ball, which is crazy given he's a deep-lying midfielder.

RedCurry

I think he's been a bit over-rated on here. Started extremely well, but has rarely hit those heights again other than a match here and there. He's also had quite a few matches where he has been decidedly poor. Overall if we compare him to someone like Carrick (who is the obvious comparison for us), Matic is nowhere even close.

In saying that he's still done well and has been arguably our best player this season. Next season if we bring in the right midfielder it could be as beneficial to Matic as it is to Pogba (and the team as a whole).
Agreed. I don't know where exactly he fits in. He isn't really great at being a midfielder who controls the tempo of the game like Carrick, Alonso etc. He's not really good enough as a box-to-box player. It's been a decent second half of the season though with some big performances against the bigger teams and he gets a solid 6.5/10 from me for this season.

Rajma

Being big and strong I think he relies too much on shielding the ball to escape the press rather than his awareness of the surroundings before receiving the ball, he starts to think only once he gets the ball, hence the unnecessary touches. When combined with Pogba who also tends to dither on the ball you get midfield that brings the ball to its attackers way too late - when opposition managed to get themselves into a defensive shape.

6.5/10.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Not even close to herrera last year. People are going to try rewrite history to suit their narrative but, statistically at least, herrera went toe to toe with kante last year and came out squeaky clean. Still been a solid 7, though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Been good. Started great, a little disappointing he hasn't been as good over the season as he started but that aside, also he holds the ball too long, he's been good.

el3mel

Not even close to herrera last year. People are going to try rewrite history to suit their narrative but, statistically at least, herrera went toe to toe with kante last year and came out squeaky clean. Still been a solid 7, though.
Matic dominated Kante at Old Trafford this season too. You are really the one who is pushing his narrative tbh.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Very good, one of the few players who has been playing to potential and consistently.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Had plenty of games where he hadn’t been up to scratch, despite what the caf says, but overall he’s been a really good signing. I just wish he would release the ball a bit quicker. So often he’s taken 7/8 touches before he does anything with it.

CM

He's been alright. I think we've seen the benefit of having a consistent option in his position rather than Matic having a great individual season though.

manichester

Started very well and then very poor for a lot of games, super annoying at times holding on to the ball too long. Over the full season so far I would give him a 5/10 average as alot of our players are. He is nearing the Dads Army phase of his career and needs some time off to maintain

arthurka

It's a weird myth this one, I mean, he looked tired during and after the Christmas period but since then he's been full of beans. In our wins v. Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Spurs, and that comeback v. Palace he was everywhere and was absolutely top drawer.
Well that isn´t really what I said at all.. He has had games where he looks really good but over all in the latter stages he has looked well off pace. Both legs v Sevilla he looked off and the games v West Brom, Arsenal and Brighton he wasn´t really playing or was he?

What I was trying to point out is that for me he has been really good but we need another DCM to share the load.

Jinn

A bit like Carrick, take him out of the team and you know you missing something.
Solid player

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Decent signing. Worrisome that he started looking tired halfway through the season. Should get competition/cover for him.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Great signing but we need to rest him a bit more. I'm hoping we sign Neves as an understudy so we can use him to rest Matic ans give him time to develop before eventually taking over.

donkeyfish

As expected, he's been solid and consistent. A few games he's been outstanding, also in his offensive contribution. But I think the "average" part of his season is something we've been lacking previously, doing all the basics right every week.

A typical defensive midfielder, who can have an excellent game without really being noticed.

GeorgieBoy

Surprised there seems to be a fair few people describing his season as '6.5/10' or just 'decent'
I thought he's been fantastic, and our best outfield player this year. The midfield looks much more composed and balanced with him in there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Agreed. I don't know where exactly he fits in. He isn't really great at being a midfielder who controls the tempo of the game like Carrick, Alonso etc. He's not really good enough as a box-to-box player.
I think he can be a great foil for a Modric-style player. Somebody who can take over the duties of actually controlling the team around, but with Matic next to them can be more attacking than players like Carrick or Alonso were. And then of course Pogba could play off them and focus more on providing the magic while helping control the midfield instead of being expected to control it himself which isn't really his game.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Been more impressed by his composure on the ball and his ability to pick a forward pass in between the lines than his ability to snuff out danger. Think he's left the defence exposed a fair bit in certain games. Could be down to our balance in midfield, particularly when he's partnered by Pogba only. Either way positive debut season. 7.5/10.

RedFish

Unequivocally great signing. Does what's required and more, and knows the score with Mourinho tactically so understands his role to a tee. Authoratative and calm , he'll be even better when the team has more balance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
With Herrera failing to be anywhere near as good as he was last season and Pogba being Pogba, Matic has essentially been our midfield this season. Given that, he's certainly been a quality signing.

tomaldinho1

Had a great start, then a dip and then extremely consistent for a long time now. Pogba's yo-yo form means he's a key man.

redflair

Immensely talented but also immensely dozy. Some incredible passing giveaways that should make a schoolboy blush, under no pressure whatsoever.

That said, a solid season. Stablisation and low-key interceptions that are key to Mourinho's 'turnover' strategy, which is still a work-in progress.

All in all, a good Jose signing. Let's hope he can get the chemistry right with the other midfielders for next season.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The single biggest reason we’ve moved from 6th to 2nd. Badly needed when that peacock beside him decides to tune out during matches. Great signing, what were Chelsea think letting us have him?

promisedlanchiao

OP - Great idea for a thread and good opening post too. But, that question you could say is a slightly questionable one...

To answer that question though, obviously Matic has a great, if not phenomenal season. The amount of qualities that he has brought to the team which we were hugely lacking in the past has played a big part in us continuing our improvement in a big way this season from the dark years of 2013-2016. What we have lacked for those years in midfield were a world class holding midfielder, a good consistent passer, a calm composed player who could get himself out of tight spots and a hardman who could tackle and intercept well. In Matic, we have got all of those important qualities in one player, which is why our midfield has been so much more stabilized this season and we’ve had the ability to make so many comebacks knowing we wouldn’t get caught out no matter how many attackers we throw on due to having Matic there covering for them.

For this matter, well done Jose and Woodward. 40 million bargain. Thank God he was 29 already actually when we bought him, as if he was still say 27 we would have had to pay over 60 million for him. That I am sure of.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Really good season but I still think we could do better. Happy with him for the next season though.

Nikelesh Reddy

Its seems like he has flown under the radar this season which is strange given hes played every premier league game for us.

So whats the verdict? Has he been a good signing or not really?
Matic and Lukaku have had similar seasons...Both began with a bang and they were terrific up until November.Both went off the boil between December and Feb,but Both regained their form towards the home stretch...
So all in all,it's been a good,solid first season for Matic...

kundalini

I find it difficult to assess players that play all the time, because you don't get to see how well the team operates without them.

Matic started the season looking much better than I expected from watching him play for Chelsea. As the season progressed, his performance level dropped, at times alarmingly, then he'd come up with an excellent performance such as Chelsea at home, or the cup win over Brighton, before going missing once again. Real concerns that he has been on the pitch for all our shocking performances.

My biggest criticism of him would be that he failed to use his vast experience when we were 2-1 up at Leicester, with the clock ticking into injury time.

If he was meant to be the player that allowed Pogba to play to his potential, that clearly didn't work. If anything, Matic looked better alongside McTominay.

Overall a good player, who has played fine, but the wrong age for me.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's so calm on the ball. If he had more mobility he'd be incredible.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Generally happy with him, but he's not perfect. Has some excellent attributes (composure, tactical nous) but also some limitations (like Carrick, if a MF runs past him, he's done, and his passing is subpar for a top-level midfielder).

I think given what we've spent on him, and his age, he's going to remain a first XI player for at least another season. Which is fine, we have far larger problems elsewhere.

In matches we're going to dominate, I'd love if it if we had another partner for Pogba that can contribute more to the attack.

Silver

I wasn't really enthused when he signed for us but he's been fantastic - he's improved our midfield tenfold and provided a long-needed stability in that area which is even more impressive when you consider that Carrick has been out for the whole season and Herrera and Pogba have been erratic and injured so Matic has basically been the constant anchor in that area.

Ubermensch

Matic dominated Kante at Old Trafford this season too. You are really the one who is pushing his narrative tbh.
I'm not pushing a narrative:herrera was objectively excellent and history should remember that. Our points aren't mutually exclusive anyway, however I'm of the opinion that some of these comments are displaying recency bias.