Matic - Debut season review

Silver

If he was meant to be the player that allowed Pogba to play to his potential, that clearly didn't work. If anything, Matic looked better alongside McTominay.
That's a pretty twisted way to look at it. It's not Matic's or any other player's responsibility to allow a teammate to realize their potential. And that certainly isn't why he was brought in to the team.

Green_Red

Matic and Lukaku have had similar seasons...Both began with a bang and they were terrific up until November.Both went off the boil between December and Feb,but Both regained their form towards the home stretch...
So all in all,it's been a good,solid first season for Matic...
Yea, its just a surprise there hasnt been many threads bigging up his performances this season. Thought he deserved one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Very happy with him. Need to add another top midfielder this summer to complete the picture.

FujiVice

Not even close to herrera last year. People are going to try rewrite history to suit their narrative but, statistically at least, herrera went toe to toe with kante last year and came out squeaky clean. Still been a solid 7, though.
Herrera last year wasnt close to Matic last year. Hence why we bought him.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Our most consistent player this season. He adds a lot of composure to the team and has justified every penny of his fee.

Tarrou

He's been brilliant. Was feeling a bit meh about this signing but can't fault him one bit.

el3mel

I'm not pushing a narrative:herrera was objectively excellent and history should remember that. Our points aren't mutually exclusive anyway, however I'm of the opinion that some of these comments are displaying recency bias.
The only 2 things that changed from last season and this are Matic and Lukaku, so I don't find any single reason for not giving both + De Gea the credit for us jumping from 6th to 2nd.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Have you noticed though @Lawman, there's a trend in here like every other thread on the caf.

Those that can't stand Mourinho our falling over themselves not to give Matic the credit he deserves. Pretty much without fail.
Yep totally and bash him for failure of Shaw and Martial. No blame attached on any these two players at all (for these posters) but when they do well it’s players who get credit and Jose none. I’m a big Jose fan (but I’d be first to give him pelters if he deserves it.

He was actually quite similar, got on the ball a lot and made lots of safe passes, made some tackles and interceptions but was out of position to help defend too many times to be ideal. Pretty much the same from Matic this season (and he played in the 6 role far more often than the handful of times Ander did) only I would assume that Matic made more dribbles.
Ekeke 6 is like quarter back as you decide which way the play goes. So basically you start our moves off. To play this you need composure on the ball, a good mix in your passing range and obviously positioning sense and game intelligence. For me these are things Herrera doesn’t excel at. Herrera is much better as an eight pressing and playing mostly on instinct.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's been our best outfield player, imo. I think he's better suited as a box to box player rather than a DM, though. He gets overrun too easily.

Andersons Dietician

Massive upgrade on what we had. He’s been a fantastic signing.
Massive upgrade on Carrick and Herrera? Umm ok..

I do think he was a great signing and fully supported his purchase but I think that is a bit of a reach of a statement. He’s had a few brilliant games and quite a few atrocious games. overall he’s had a good season but Some of his passing has been horrible. I’ll also never forget Martial tearing him a new one for not passing the ball when he was in a great position. I thought we were going to see fists fly as Matic walked over like he was away to square up to him.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He's been one of our best players this season, had a pretty severe drop in form after Christmas but apart from that, his form has been mostly good.

He has however really struggled to function in a midfield two with Pogba, but I don't really blame Matic for that, Pogba has never worked well in a midfield two, and we should have been playing a midfield 3 of Pogba Matic and Herrera whenever feasible.

Definitely, need to buy him some competition this summer though, if he goes down the only really proper defensive midfielder we have on our books is Blind, and he hasn't played there since that eveton game a few years back.

Lawman

Massive upgrade on Carrick and Herrera? Umm ok..

I do think he was a great signing and fully supported his purchase but I think that is a bit of a reach of a statement. He’s had a few brilliant games and quite a few atrocious games. overall he’s had a good season but Some of his passing has been horrible. I’ll also never forget Martial tearing him a new one for not passing the ball when he was in a great position. I thought we were going to see fists fly as Matic walked over like he was away to square up to him.
He is a massive upgrade on Herrera and Carrick (36 year old version) in the number six position. I don’t know how you can even argue that.

Lawman

I'd say it's the exact opposite. He doesn't react well to being pressed at all.
You are kidding he uses a mixture of body strength and intelligence better than most and if anything can be over assured on the ball. He’s exactly the type we need to play out from the back.

Lawman

He's been one of our best players this season, had a pretty severe drop in form after Christmas but apart from that, his form has been mostly good.

He has however really struggled to function in a midfield two with Pogba, but I don't really blame Matic for that, Pogba has never worked well in a midfield two, and we should have been playing a midfield 3 of Pogba Matic and Herrera whenever feasible.

Definitely, need to buy him some competition this summer though, if he goes down the only really proper defensive midfielder we have on our books is Blind, and he hasn't played there since that eveton game a few years back.
I’d agree with this.

Andersons Dietician

He is a massive upgrade on Herrera and Carrick (36 year old version) in the number six position. I don’t know how you can even argue that.
If you’re going to specify due to age over Carrick then fair enough but Carrick showed on the rare occasion he played this season he still has it so to say massive upgrade for me is a reach. Also add in Herrera went toe to toe with Kante for stats last year and had some really good performances last year which is similar to anything Matic has done this year.

Just think it’s a serious bit of overhyping on your behalf. He had a good season but not outstanding that he dwarfs the others.
Anyway everyone is obviously going to have a differing opinions on how great or poor he was. Like I said earlier he had some great performances and he also had performances when he was atrocious, but overall a pretty good season.

Andersons Dietician

I have seen him go in to panic mode but for the most part he is pretty solid and when he’s really pressed he just passes it back to the defence which is the right thing to do. His strength and size is a massive benefit for him. However there are also times when he will just bounce people off of him or I think in the last game he just powered out of midfield and left 2 or 3 for dead.

Sure tho there are times when pressed he fluffs it but just part of the game. There was an incident not long ago where he was mucking about realised he had no options panicked lost the ball and fell on his ass but occasionally things like that are going to happen. If anything his biggest downfall this season is how unadventurous his passing has been and how sloppy it is.

Witchking

No he is not. Matic was someone who wanted to join United and we could not miss out on a player like him, however number 6 was not a position of concern and Herrera was brilliant there. Let's not rewrite history.

He was not the missing piece in the formation for United to click, we have / had pressing concerns around the pitch which still need to be taken care of. I like Matic and he started off very well, but dropped off in December and has come back again, and hopefully continues and wins the FA cup.

Janson

How can someone be dreadful in a position where they played extremely well for an entire season?

He was literally our player of the season. Don't understand all the attempts to re-write the past and pretend we didn't already have a good midfield. Especially as Pogba clearly played better alongside Herrera than he does with Matic.
He was voted by the fans as poty, doesn't mean he actually was.

Woodenlung

I think people are going soft on him. Matic started very well but his performances have tapered off since the new year. I'd say he's been rubbish in many games since February. He's much too slow in possession and doesn't get around the pitch quickly enough. I don't think he works in a two man midfield where he's asked to be the player that drops deep to colectc the ball. Doesn't have the ability to pick out a pass and he takes too long to release the ball.

Dinghy

He's had an OK season, nothing more. Started out very good, but has faded a lot since then, with some very good games in-between.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Consistantly impressed me whenever I've seen a United game this season.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He's been good but in my opinion he's been overused due to our lack of quality in midfield.
7/10.
Great goal at Palace!

Eli Zee

He stays completely composed, maintains possession, and completes his pass like 90% of the time.....

Patrick08

He had a slightly more than a decent season but that's about it in my view. Clearly he lacks the legs, energy and ruthlessness he had at Chelsea in the title winning season now. He alone in a two man midfield is not capable enough to cover Pogba's defensive weaknesses and he himself was vunrable at times which cost us dearly in many games. Also under high pressure and against defensive teams his ability to pass the ball forward with quicker transition suffers a lot and the team is reduced to passing it sideways and backwards with slow ponderous attacking build up. He does not have the passing range and vision of say Michael Carrick whose quick penetrating forward passes caught opposition defenses napping and we have been lacking that cutting edge we had as a player. I personally think we should not be over dependent on any player next season and should also have a strong competition in Matic's place to start over him with a better passing range and vision and ambition to pass the ball forward with quicker transition or get a better playmaker to play along side him as well with more mobility and energy to win the midfield battle and win the possession in dangerous areas.

fellaini's barber

Will be an unpopular opinion but he's been gash for the second half of the season, he's just the better of a terrible bunch since Herrera and Pogba have gone to shit. Still a good signing but should be a bit part player next season, we should not be depending on him this much

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He looks like He's been here for 15 years. Solid 7.5/10 overall.

el3mel

Matic for me is like Carrick when the latter's role in the team was massively underrated and we started to appreciate what he was bringing to the team whenever he goes out of the selection. You don't always appreciate what a consistent number 6 does in the team till he's out.

dove

I think people are going soft on him. Matic started very well but his performances have tapered off since the new year. I'd say he's been rubbish in many games since February. He's much too slow in possession and doesn't get around the pitch quickly enough. I don't think he works in a two man midfield where he's asked to be the player that drops deep to colectc the ball. Doesn't have the ability to pick out a pass and he takes too long to release the ball.
Well, it's hard for Matic when his midfield partner turns up in 1 out of 5 matches, other times he is basically alone. I would also argue that Pogba takes even longer to release the ball as he is absolutely clueless how to control the tempo of the game. Matic is probably our most consistent outfield player this season, would give him a solid 8.

DWelbz19

Matic for me is like Carrick when the latter's role in the team was massively underrated and we started to appreciate what he was bringing to the team whenever he goes out of the selection. You don't always appreciate what a consistent number 6 does in the team till he's out.
Matic is a good player in his own right but he’s not even close to what Carrick used to provide to our sides.

el3mel

Matic is a good player in his own right but he’s not even close to what Carrick used to provide to our sides.
Is that what you don't understood from my post ? Because I'm not comparing both and that's clear tbh. I'm talking about appreciating consistent number 6 player that keeps everything ticking around him.

Carrick was one of our most underrated players for years. Many only started to appreciate his role in later years when we saw the midfield without him. Sometimes you don't understand what certain player provides for your team till he's out of the team.

Will be an unpopular opinion but he's been gash for the second half of the season, he's just the better of a terrible bunch since Herrera and Pogba have gone to shit. Still a good signing but should be a bit part player next season, we should not be depending on him this much
@fellaini's barber, was he, or was he not one of our best players vs. Palace away, Chelsea home, City away, Liverpool home, Spurs semi?

Last edited: