Matic to leave the club at the end of the season

Blood Mage

One of our better post-Fergie signings, but we signed him too fecking late and his legs were already starting to go by the end of his first season here. We really should have signed Fabinho instead.

RkkMan

You have to be realistic as well . I’ve named 5 and I can see Henderson leaving and possibly Bailly or Jones . I’d be surprised to see any more than that
Axel has a year left on his deal and hasn`t earned one he`ll go
One of Martial/Ronaldo will 100% leave even if it means wages being subsidized because of a new ST coming in

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The fact he's still our best CM shows how much of a poor situation we're in.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good luck to you Nemanja, all the best and thanks for your service!

GL21

What I wouldnt give for a 10 year younger matic now. I remember when he re-signed for Chelsea he looked a different player while we had fellaini and herrera with their average performances then scweinsteiger and schneiderlain adding to the disappointments. Only DM we had was Carrick and he too was criticised back then

Pickle85

Good luck to him. A proper professional that never moaned and always gave his all. Shame we didn't get him five years earlier as in his prime at Chelsea he was fabulous. The right time to move on.

SamVimes

It makes perfect sense. He hasn't had huge game time this season and with a new Manager with a new style of play next season I can see why he has decided to move on. I give him a lot of credit as he could have decided to sit on the bench pulling in a fat pay cheque but isn't going to.

Red_toad

5 seasons at Manchester United and not a single medal to show for it. Sad state of affairs
2 runners up medals, so not nothing. Earned a fair few million, travelled the world etc. Good bloke and decent player, shame he didn’t leave last summer and Ole got a replacement.

RedDevil@84

Great attitude. Too bad he was almost done by the time he arrived.

And I think he is cancelling his last year at United. So kudos to not sitting on bench to just collect his big cheque.

Heinzesight

Really like him as a player and seems a very decent guy. Just a shame his legs are going as he is one of the very few players we have with footballing intelligence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm surprised by how nice people are with Matic, he has generally been bad or injured outside of his first season. I wish him a nice end of career.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Least the thick board will now know we need a DM…. Incase they didn’t already. We’ve needed one for years but it’s been a neglected position. Wish you good luck matic, one of the few players that put in effort wether starting or coming of the bench.

Polar

Good decision. His prime was in Chelsea and the flame went out pretty fast after joining United. Unfortunately for Matic the level of football and especially PL developed away from old-school midfielders like him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t agree with the sentiment that he’s been a great player for us. I think he’s been a strange player for us. His first season he was a bit of a revelation at first but quickly faded. Beyond that he’s seemed to come in and out of the team. Coming on as sub has seemed to be his best role. Often he’s played so well coming on that you have to play him the next game but every time he’s had a run of games he’s ended up playing poorly.

He’s the sort of player we need but a massively better version than the one we’ve seen in Matic overall in his time here. He’s been bit part for most of it.

Mike Smalling

Good piece of news. Nothing against Matic and best of luck to him, but he’s the kind of player we should be moving on as part of the rebuild.

Hopefully more will follow.

Mercurial

I'm surprised by how nice people are with Matic, he has generally been bad or injured outside of his first season. I wish him a nice end of career.
He has a great personality. He is tactically adept, asides from a decline due to age I feel as he was a good player to us in all other aspects and if used wisely. He still can pick his forward passes better than what we have from that position.

Irwin99

Not a great signing if we're being honest and i think even his first few months here were a bit overrated by a lot of people. Can't fault his attitude though, never heard anything bad said about him. Actually played pretty well when he's come off the bench a few times this season.

Wish him well. Think he'd do well in Italy.

Tiber

Seems a good guy who cares about the club. But in terms of footballing ability, he should have been moved on years ago and was probably past his best when we signed him.

always_hoping

All the best to him, gave his all and was little or no drama about him unlike some others.. Unfortunately for United his best years was before he joined the club.

Jacob

Great. Now we need similar messaging from Mata, Ronaldo, Pogba, Lingard, Jones, Bailly etc.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has a great personality. He is tactically adept, asides from a decline due to age I feel as he was a good player to us in all other aspects and if used wisely. He still can pick his forward passes better than what we have from that position.
I don't think that he showed any of that at United, he has been a subpar signing and a waste of 40m. I have nothing against him because I don't think that he has done anything wrong but he hasn't done anything good either, he hasn't shown any sort of personality or tactical acumen and his technique hasn't been remarkable. He is an other Mata without actually showing a great personality, at least Mata has Common Goal.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
This is good news. With Pogba and Matic leaving this will force the Glazers into signing a couple of new midfielders.

Silverman

Wish him all the best. We signed him too late but he still showed the quality he has.
Good to get him off the wage bill too.
Best for all.

Irrational.

An honourable decision and certainly something to be respected. He knew he couldn’t keep up with the demands and rigours of playing for United and therefore called it a day. Other footballers sitting on their arses running down their contracts taking paycheck after paycheck when they know they aren’t good enough should take note.

Devil81

This is a good move for the club in my opinion, the squad needs stripping and this adds to the numbers.

The board better have a large cheque book this summer as we're going to need at least 5 or 6 players.

Mercurial

I don't think that he showed any of that at United, he has been a subpar signing and a waste of 40m. I have nothing against him because I don't think that he has done anything wrong but he hasn't done anything good either, he hasn't shown any sort of personality or tactical acumen and his technique hasn't been remarkable. He is an other Mata without actually showing a great personality, at least Mata has Common Goal.
Pretty much this, his best was behind him. Waste of 40m for sure. He was probably part of some tall and big player revamp that didn't materialize fully.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
“Leave in four years” was probably what was written in the note Bailly gave him.