Mats Møller Dæhli

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At this point of his career, it's important for him to be playing regular football. OGS is someone he has very good relationship with and given the talents he'll be competing for a first team place in United the obvious choice was to sign for Ole. It doesn't make sense to sign for United and then go on perennial loans which may or may not work out when there is a stable alternative.

He did seem to enjoy playing for our club so I wouldn't rule out a return when he is more ready to compete for a place in our first team which at the moment I don't think he is. Also, I don't think he'd have left us permanently if not for Ole.
That's the point. If he's one of your more talented players why let sell him? The kid is just 18. Who's to say he wouldn't above developed well through a year or two of loans and reserve team football before being brought into the first team. Or are we going to sell periera and co as well? I'm just trying to understand the logic. I've not seen this kid at all but it is odd that people were raving bout this kid as a future superstar when he was with us (as much if not Moreso than Januzaj) and we suddenly sold him.

surf

It was addressed in posts on the previous page. He wanted to leave and play for OGS. Time will tell whether it was a wise career decision. So far it looks like he did the right thing from his point of view.

Tooni

That's the point. If he's one of your more talented players why let sell him? The kid is just 18. Who's to say he wouldn't above developed well through a year or two of loans and reserve team football before being brought into the first team. Or are we going to sell periera and co as well? I'm just trying to understand the logic. I've not seen this kid at all but it is odd that people were raving bout this kid as a future superstar when he was with us (as much if not Moreso than Januzaj) and we suddenly sold him.
It's simple why we sold him because he wanted to leave.

It's also simple why he wanted to leave, to play football (though homesickness could be one of the reasons). In OGS he had someone who he could trust would do the best for his development.

There are obvious differences between being 'that player on loan' with a team and being 'their player'.

Yes, it's a problem that not just us but all the top clubs in England face with the talents that are too good for reserves yet not ready enough for first team football. Loan is one option but if you look at the success rate of such loan moves it's not hard to see why some prefer permanent moves.

Ekeke

The thing is our loans have generally been successes and the ones that werent were usually down to the player, or rarely in the case of Newcastle and Rossi because we sent him somewhere that wanted to play 1 striker alone up front. And being a small, slight, kid, that was unlikely to work out.

Looking at Welbeck and Cleverley a young player at United should feel assured that if they go out on one or two loans and work hard there, they'll get their chances in the first team.

And sure, there's going to be one or two times when the young player is asked if he'd like to go on loan to a club that has a manager playing some football he's unlikely to do well with, like Rossi... But surely they can say no and we'll find another club for them to go on loan to.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Hope people that had bets on Daelhi one day making his premier league debut at OT worded it carefully.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's got a big future I think. Didn't have much of the ball in his limited time obviously, but everytime he got it he showed some calmness on the ball as well as a great touch. Sort of like Januzaj actually. Hopefully we see him in a United shirt one day, as he's got loads of talent.

Giggsforever

Jesus, that was great. Sad we lost him and Pogba, the comfort is that we managed to keep the most important one.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I'm tellin' ya... the kid's going to make it big!
I hope you're right. I've always rated him highly but I was never one of those who thought he was quite at Januzaj's level but I think he could potentially be top class if Ole nurtures him well.

Ekeke

The part where the commentator screams because he thinks the shot is on target and it hits the corner flag :lol: Great skill in the clips though

bosnian_red

His dribbling is actually insanely good. QPR made him look like a Messi/Iniesta hybrid in that video:lol:
He actually looked like a right footed messi, and that's not an exaggeration. He's clearly way too good for that level

Will Absolute

A bit depressing really. We've certainly acquired the knack of losing our best young players. If we're going to continue the policy of bringing top 16 year olds from around the world to Old Trafford, we need to find a way of holding on to them.

bosnian_red

Playing them ?
Daehli I think is a special case and jumped at the chance to follow Ole to Molde, and Sir Alex still being here might not have made a huge difference. Pogba and Januzaj were pretty much the same cases, the only difference being we played januzaj and never looked back while with Pogba we hesitated and thus lost out on him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Anyone caught his display today? Cant believe we let him go. Class act. His one-touch play, technique, creativity and flair, combined with the intensity in his game would be exactly what we need. Probably not good enough yet, but could be very, very soon. Would hate see him at a rival.

Considering mr.mujacs latest analysis of lack of gametime for our youngsters he might have left us at a perfect time.

leviathan

Anyone caught his display today? Cant believe we let him go. Class act. His one-touch play, technique, creativity and flair, combined with the intensity in his game would be exactly what we need. Probably not good enough yet, but could be very, very soon. Would hate see him at a rival.

Considering mr.mujacs latest analysis of lack of gametime for our youngsters he might have left us at a perfect time.
decent display. one of the very few Cardiff players to emerge with any credit.

Eirik Raude

I think that if (or maybe when) he comes good enough to play for a top team, and we come in for him then, we'll be very likely to sign him. That is if we're still a top team at the time. If it's between us and the other top 5-6 teams in England, I believe he would want to come back to a club he already knows and he has good relations and fond memories from.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news

I was impressed with him too. The others weren't on his wavelength. I see them going down but a bright performance from Daehli.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Well, we didn't let him go as such but, yeah, he did indeed seem to leave at the right time as he's come on in leaps and bound since. He was tremendous today and it stings a bit that he's no longer our player but, as Eirik says, if he develops into the exceptional player he seem to have the potential to become, I'm sure there's a good chance he will be back.

Hal9000

I think he wanted to go because he knew he was not getting near the first team any time soon. I think he's been very smart with his moves, especially following OGS who he knows will give him plenty of game time. Just hope Cardiff give OGS some time because you do worry if Daehli will be stuck in Cardiff reserves without the believe OGS has in him.

Mad Winger

He's the first Norwegian I've been excited about for as long as I can remember. He's definitely gonna be a star. He even looks more exciting than Januzaj to me. If he had better players around him, then I'm sure he'd be a top player already.

Rossa

He's the first Norwegian I've been excited about for as long as I can remember. He's definitely gonna be a star. He even looks more exciting than Januzaj to me. If he had better players around him, then I'm sure he'd be a top player already.
That bolded part is what I can only assume is the Norwegian inside of you. He is exciting, but branding him a greater talent or more exciting player than Januzaj at this stage sounds a bit Liverpool-ish.;)

Mad Winger

That bolded part is what I can only assume is the Norwegian inside of you. He is exciting, but branding him a greater talent or more exciting player than Januzaj at this stage sounds a bit Liverpool-ish.;)
Oh I wouldn't go as far as saying that he is a greater talent than Januzaj. He just looks more exciting because of his skill set. He's not as quick as Januzaj, nor is he as good at dribbling, or shooting for that matter. What excites me about Dæhli, is his quick thinking and close control. He's far beyond his years in those aspects, and those are things that really can't be trained. Well, it can improve with time obviously, but some players just "have it". And Dæhli seems to be one of them.

amolbhatia50k

Well, that's a bit sad if true.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
He wouldn't be playing for Cardiff reserves if he was more exciting than Januzaj.

Whilst technically fantastic I always thought that Mats lacked that bit of character to really stamp his authority on games. He could have matured since and the little that I have seen of him at Cardiff he has impressed with his all round intelligent game.

amolbhatia50k

He wouldn't be playing for Cardiff reserves if he was more exciting than Januzaj.

Whilst technically fantastic I always thought that Mats lacked that bit of character to really stamp his authority on games. He could have matured since and the little that I have seen of him at Cardiff he has impressed with his all round intelligent game.
Not saying you're wrong, but Pogba wouldn't be behind Rafael and Park in United's pecking order if he was good enough to be a star for Juventus :)

Mad Winger

And Pogba would surely have gotten more playtime if he had any promise as a CM, right? Also, Dæhli has gotten many minutes for the first team, and he's always on the bench.

Solskjær was the main reason for Mats leaving. Had it not been for him, then he might have stayed and gotten some playtime this season along with Januzaj. We'll never know. But I'm fairly confident that Mats didn't want to make the same mistake Eikrem did. They are 4 or 5 years apart, but Dæhli already looks much, much better. Going to Norway to play professional football and then to Cardiff, was a genius move.

The reason I think Januzaj managed to break through is because of his skillset. It's much easier to throw Januzaj into the mix because of his speed and dribbling. Mats plays more with his head, which is typically the sort of game you'd expect from seasoned pros. When it comes to young players, it's easier to go for the quick and unpredictable flair players and hope that they mature over time.

Overall I think that Mats has a more rare skillset, which will take him far. Quite possibly further than Januzaj, though it's obviously not a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.