Matt Judge - Not doing anything in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

El B

Didn't see this anywhere else in here. Maybe I missed it, feel free to delete.

I would take this with a pinch of salt, in an interview with The Athletic an unnamed agent quotes Matt Judge as saying (paraphrasing here) - we have our targets for the summer, if they are at the right price and it's worth it we could being them in now and loan them back....... not doing something for the sake of it

El B

What’s the point in this thread?
Thought the quotes were interesting. In the context of him being the chief transfer negotiator and the speculation going on around different players.

jackal&hyde

The title is a miss representation. The context of the article was about clubs going in a frenzy during the Jan window and making panic buys that most of the time do not work out (play wise and financially). United (and Chelsea) were given as examples of clubs that are not going to do that but will only move if established target become available.

It's rare nowdays to see United given as a positive example but there you go. Whomever we sign has been targeted for the summer, it just so happens we can do the deals now.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Thought the quotes were interesting. In the context of him being the chief transfer negotiator and the speculation going on around different players.
It’s obvious that we’d do that though. January isn’t a good time to buy. It’s also obvious that we’re close to signing Bruno Fernandes making this thread pretty redundant.

El B

The title is a miss representation. The context of the article was about clubs going in a frenzy during the Jan window and making panic buys that most of the time do not work out (play wise and financially). United (and Chelsea) were given as examples of clubs that are not going to do that but will only move if established target become available.

It's rare nowdays to see United given as a positive example but there you go. Whomever we sign has been targeted for the summer, it just so happens we can do the deals now.
The title may be yeah. But I included the bulk of the quote. Thought it was interesting and actually a refreshing approach given some of the disastrous transfer business in the last 6 years.

El B

It is thought.
If the thought that the club isn't doing business is driving people insane then they need to chill. They need players yeah but this could be confirmation that there is a larger plan being followed rather than the conspiracy theories being bandied about. I've read on here that Ole and Woodward are deliberately misleading the fans to save money for the Glazers.

If they can get Fernandes in then that's great. Confirms he is a target and the price and situation were right.

jackal&hyde

The title may be yeah. But I included the bulk of the quote. Thought it was interesting and actually a refreshing approach given some of the disastrous transfer business in the last 6 years.
It's a good thing yeah, part of why i'm so exited about Bruno. All part of the plan :drool:

tomaldinho1

So basically he's saying we have transfer targets and will try to sign them...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nothing to see here really. Common sense approach.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I mean really what we should be looking to do this window is just sign anyone we can whether we need them or not. We shouldn't really be restricting ourselves to players we need.

Smores

Our whole PR these days seems to be based on repeating truisms. Why does it need stating that we're not going to purposefully buy for the sake of it, as if any club does actually do such a thing.

It's irritating because loads latch onto it as if it means we suddenly have a plan.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So basically he's saying we have transfer targets and will try to sign them...
He's basically saying if a January deal is worth it then we'll sign em. If there's no point and it'll be a waste then it'll be saved for the summer.

The question is, does he think paying 5/10 mill extra for a player we badly need isn't worth it?

Infra-red

He's basically saying if a January deal is worth it then we'll sign em. If there's no point and it'll be a waste then it'll be saved for the summer.

The question is, does he think paying 5/10 mill extra for a player we badly need isn't worth it?
Thankfully, he brings a wealth of football expertise to the table, which makes him uniquely qualified to make exactly that decision.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I mean really what we should be looking to do this window is just sign anyone we can whether we need them or not. We shouldn't really be restricting ourselves to players we need.
You are acting as if we don't really need anybody.
As of now, we need:
2 x CMs (if Pogba leaves in the Summer, then we need 3)
1 x RW
1 x ST

Nobody is saying that we should go nuts in splashing the cash, but let's not make out that we don't really need players and that we in a position to buy if and only if the right player comes along.

The fans seem to be in support of the strategy of saving money and as we get worse, over a period of time, these fans are getting used to our current league position.
Only 2 years ago, 2nd place was disappointing. These days, 5th is alright and we don't need to worry about signing players.

In saying all of the above, I think the best signing we can make is Woodward's replacement. That will transform us quickly.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I read the title and thought it meant Matt Judge isn't doing anything in January.
Same. I was like, yeah, maybe this is not the best time to reuse all your remaining vacation days from 2019 in this business, but then again it's his life. So who are we to judge?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Thankfully, he brings a wealth of football expertise to the table, which makes him uniquely qualified to make exactly that decision.
Are you talking about Matt Judge?
The man who is responsible for giving us one of the highest wage bills in World football, with players such as Lingard, Jones, Bailly, Perreira, Mata, Matic, etc.
Matt Judge is absolutely not qualified (uniquely or otherwise), to do any business when it comes to negotiating player contracts or buying players. He has proved beyond doubt, that he is an unmitigated disaster.
In most organisations, if Matt Judge and Woodward had resided over the years during which the wage bill became one of the highest in the World, while the operational results (in our case, on-pitch results) were average-poor, they'd both be fired.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The man who is responsible for giving us one of the highest wage bills in World football, with players such as Lingard, Jones, Bailly, Perreira, Mata, Matic, etc.
Matt Judge is absolutely not qualified (uniquely or otherwise), to do any business when it comes to negotiating player contracts or buying players. He has proved beyond doubt, that he is an unmitigated disaster.
In most organisations, if Matt Judge and Woodward had resided over the years during which the wage bill became one of the highest in the World, while the operational results (in our case, on-pitch results) were average-poor, they'd both be fired.
Our wage bill is currently the 5th highest in the league with an average of £90k per week.

Previously our wage bill was sky high because of Pogba, Zlatan/Lukaku and Sanchez, not because of the names mentioned.

Skills

Snitch
Our wage bill is currently the 5th highest in the league with an average of £90k per week.

Previously our wage bill was sky high because of Pogba, Zlatan/Lukaku and Sanchez, not because of the names mentioned.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it's still the 2nd highest in the league

Infra-red

Unfortunately, it appears that the old adage that sarcasm doesn't translate well in to text, is correct.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What’s the point in this thread?
I think he's trying to say that he would take this with a pinch of salt, in an interview with The Athletic an unnamed agent quotes Matt Judge as saying (paraphrasing here) - we have our targets for the summer, if they are at the right price and it's worth it we could being them in now and loan them back....... not doing something for the sake of it.

Lebowski

Sauce?

I haven't pulled out each club's most recent financial statements but from memory our most recent accounts announced the highest wage bill ever in the history of the league.

It's commonly suspected that city keep their wage bill artificially low through similar payment structures that they have allegedly used to skirt FFP rules, but I'm fairly sure we have the highest wage bill in the league (on paper, at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.