Matt Olosunde

032Devil

I don't know if I should be posting this and the source is not great but its a low-key story that doesn't need BS. Anyway, here it is (and apologises in advance):

http://thestar.ie/manchester-united...g-as-international-defender-arrives-at-club/?

Manchester United close in on fifth signing as international defender arrives at club

MANCHESTER UNITED have taken New York Red Bulls defender Matt Olosunde on trial.

The 16-year-old, who plays at centre-back or right-back, is training with the Red Devils, according to the Red Devils.

Olosunde will be hoping to impress the United coaches with the aim of securing a permanent move to Old Trafford.

He has represented USA youth teams since he was 13 sand is expected to be part of their Under-17 World Cup squad for the tournament in Chile in October.

Olosunde could replace Reece James at United after the 21-year-old joined Wigan on a three-year contract on Tuesday.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Impressive to be representing the USA when you're 13 grains of sand. Maybe it speaks volumes about the quality of their youth team though.

FromTheBench

Err, replacement for Reece James? He was a left back no?
Yep, Left back or holding mid. Anyway, Olusunde if signed will go with the U18 squad probably anyway given his age and not be a replacement in the U21 squad.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Can play CB and RB and at 186cm he might be a good signing.

The US hasn't produced a superstar yet so he might also be another average player. :(

khoazany

Can play CB and RB and at 186cm he might be a good signing.

The US hasn't produced a superstar yet so he might also be another average player. :(
He's only on trial along with 3-4 other lads (there're a Dutch LB,a Spanish CM as well as a GK).Far from joining us.

Sid234

Dont think so, i think this is one of the new laws implemented by the FA, didnt we sign Rafael and Fabio before they turned 18?
We had a deal in place to sign them when they were 16, just that they could join only once they turned 18.

We might something similar for Olosunde too if he proves good enough. But then would we take a 16 yr old on trial if we can't sign him immediately? Maybe he has an eu passport?

khoazany

We had a deal in place to sign them when they were 16, just that they could join only once they turned 18.

We might something similar for Olosunde too if he proves good enough. But then would we take a 16 yr old on trial if we can't sign him immediately? Maybe he has an eu passport?
It's a normal practice to have them on trial early and monitor their development until they're old enough to sign.We had a few 14-16 years old South American/American trialists although they can't be officially signed before 18.We also sent a few of them to Depostivo Brasil for training.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Seems to have signed now.

Who is he?
He is 18 years old (date of birth - March 7, 1998) and is from Trenton, New Jersey. He is 6ft 1ins tall.

What position does he play?
He is a defender and can play at full-back or centre-back. He started his junior career as a right winger and is not afraid to join the attack. He has also been capped by the United States at youth level and was a member of the Under 17 national team for the 2015 FIFA World Cup.

What do his coaches say about him?
Duke head coach John Kerr told Go Dukes earlier this year : “Matthew is a fantastic player who is comfortable playing in the back or in midfield. He has wicked pace and has incredible defensive recovery speed.

“He has great one vs one instincts on both sides of the ball and will help us right away in a number of positions.”

What have Manchester United said about his signing?
They announced the signing on their official website. The article said: "Matthew Olosunde has completed a move to Manchester United and has been included in tonight's Under-18 squad to face Brighton & Hove Albion.

The defender signed for the club on 29 January but his arrival has only been announced now that international clearance has been received for the young American."

When will he make his Manchester United debut?
He is expected to play for the Under 18s tonight in their home match against Brighton and Hove Albion.
Anything else to add @khoazany ?

khoazany

Seems to have signed now.

Anything else to add @khoazany ?
He should have signed for us in the summer if the deal didn't get over the deadline and he has been away a lot with US youth teams which delayed the deal.

Originally a centreback but he impressed at right-back during his trial.Thought we couldn't get a work permit to sign him but seem everything is done and dusted now.

jb8521

He normally a right back but has played centre back at times and played left back for the u18s tonight so seems adaptable anyway

jb8521

Olosunde has been called up to the USA under 20 squad for the Dallas Cup

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
@khoazany How did he do since arrival? Just saw his name in the retained list and reminded me to ask.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
OLOSUNDE HAS PERFECT ROLE MODEL IN VALENCIA

Matthew Olosunde admits he was delighted with his progress last season as he has the perfect role model to study in Manchester United's Players' Player of the Year Antonio Valencia.

The American youngster looked at home when performing at right-back in the Reserves and travelled with the first-team squad for the Premier League games at Arsenal and Tottenham, coming close to making the bench.

After coming on leaps and bounds towards the end of the campaign and adding a real attacking thrust to his game, the 19-year-old revealed he is getting help all the way behind the scenes at the Aon Training Complex.

"I'm very happy with how the season has gone," he told ManUtd.com. "Just travelling with the first team was a big thing for me. It's a lot different when you are actually with them. You just think 'wow'!

"They're all friendly and talk to you to try to help you out. I was training with them for a bit and it was a great experience. I really enjoyed it. I would have loved to be involved in the matchday squad but it's good knowing, eventually, I could get my chance and I will just need to take it."

Olosunde is feeling settled in Manchester after arriving in the early part of last year and certainly looks comfortable on the right side of defence in the Reserves.

"I was happy with the way I was playing and happy with the position I'm in," he said. "I'm enjoying my football and enjoying things off the field too.

"I feel really comfortable at right-back and have done pretty well. I feel like I know my surroundings and have my bearings so I feel good when I'm out with the players on the pitch.

"It was a bit of a culture shock coming here but I'd been over a couple of times before so it was not that much different, even if living here for a long period of time has of course been a big change. I was playing international football for the United States when I was asked to come over on trial.

"It was just a case of 'wow'. I was taken aback and was speechless. I came on trial with one of my friends who was on the international team as well, so I had a colleague with me."

Olosunde has grown in stature and become a real physical specimen when marauding down the flank to good effect. It is obvious Valencia, who is one of the best exponents of his trade in the game, is somebody to look to emulate in this respect.

"Yes, he is a real inspiration," agreed the young defender. "Bombing forward but also being great defensively. I really look up to him. When I watch him play, I just think I appreciate he's a great player and a great marking point to reach for. He's a big guy and so strong.

"It's a very demanding game so Mark Hulse [the club's athletic development coach] works with us a lot and tries to build us up, strengthening us to be able to play at the highest level.

"[Interim Reserves coach] Nicky Butt has helped me a lot. He has taken me to one side, talked to me and told me the things I need to work on and the things I do wrong. He tries to help me on and off the pitch."

It will be interesting to see if Olosunde can continue such rapid improvement when the preparations for 2017/18 begin in earnest. For now, he will be enjoying a welcome - and much deserved - break.

"I'm going to go back home to New Jersey to see my family and friends," he said. "Pre-season in July will involve a lot of hard work and, whatever happens, I'll just play as well as I can."

khoazany

@khoazany How did he do since arrival? Just saw his name in the retained list and reminded me to ask.
I like him but I think he has come to the club quite late to be developed properly, God knows what they coached him in his former clubs. Very raw player who has similar attributes to Valencia and can actually beat a man but his defensive side (positioning etc) is no where near the required level. Reminds me of Bebe in terms of being too rough of a diamond to be polished.