Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boycott

Neuer guesses the wrong way and the narrative will be how Darmian calmly dispatched his penalty.

It always is that way with penalties. Captain Hindsight runs the rule.

At least he hit the target which more qualified takers failed to do.

LouisDanGaal

Not an awful penalty, and not a dodgy run up, Neuer had him with the little feint. No blame at all can be attached to him, just isn't a good penalty taker.

Dominos

Are we meant to be concerned that our right back isn't a confident penalty taker? It's almost certainly never going to affect us.

There's hardly a strong link between a right back not wanting to take a penalty and being mentally weak. I don't recall Gary Neville was ever stepping up during a shoot out and calmly slotting one home?

NK86

Neuer guesses the wrong way and the narrative will be how Darmian calmly dispatched his penalty.

Imagine a keeper remaining upright when the penalty taker hits it the middle. That will be more humiliating. Would anyone here then say that the player lacked bottle?

Dominos

Hitting the target where he did is as bad as missing it IMO. A weak shot to a position and height where the keeper saves if he guesses right is worse than blasting it over. At least when you blasting it over your are being overly positive rather than too timid.
:lol: logic

You're taking a pen and beforehand you're given only 2 options on how you take your pen. You either blast it over the bar or put a weak shot on target. And you choose to blast it over the bar. Nice one.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I didn't see a mentally weak player. All I saw was one who was finding it difficult to adapt to a different league. Not the same as mental weakness.
Really? He visibly went into his shell when things went badly. He was terrified to receive the ball.

You can hardly look at series of pens with Darmian to get a picture.
Ronaldo missed, Ronaldo scored.
I don't think Darmian will shoot a penalty in the near future.

It's funny how you and others now think he's mentally weak just cause he missed a penalty.
I think it's funny that you're completely misunderstanding. People are not saying if you miss a penalty, you're mentally weak. They're saying if you're mentally weak, you'll very likely miss the penalty. Hence why people said he would miss a penalty before he took it, regardless of what people want to say about captain hindsight. I'd have taken off Darmian rather than Chiellini every day of the week.

vk20legend

You can't blame the loss on him.. Penalty misses happen.. Zaza and Pelle had far worse penalties than Darmian..

Hopefully he now gets a break and joins back for a full pre season..

Ban

Really? He visibly went into his shell when things went badly. He was terrified to receive the ball.

I think it's funny that you're completely misunderstanding. People are not saying if you miss a penalty, you're mentally weak. They're saying if you're mentally weak, you'll very likely miss the penalty. Hence why people said he would miss a penalty before he took it, regardless of what people want to say about captain hindsight. I'd have taken off Darmian rather than Chiellini every day of the week.
It's not like that. It's exactly captain hindsight stuff. Some want get rid of him, think he lacks composure or whatever, he's mentally weak and this just made their point stronger in their heads.
You had posts like, penalty or not he's crap, he's garbage, sell him, whatnot.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Feck sake, I'd sell him after that. Pathetic penalty, if your that nervous then just blast it down the middle
Wow, you want a player sold because he missed a penalty for his national team?Wtf?
I'd call Muller mentally weak, yes. He's a great player 99% of the time, but he bottles it with alarming regularity with the going gets properly tough and the pressure is ramped up. He missed a penalty and an amazing chance against Atletico too that would have sent Bayern through.
:lol: I hate Müller with a passion but before this tournament he's been widely regarded as a big game player and now suddenly he's mentally weak?

Some on here love to get their knives out, I'd keep in mind that Darmian was actually on of the few United players to take part in those late stages of this tournament, most of the squad have already been send packing or weren't there.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seems like a majority of the Caf are Psych majors.
It isn't hard to say that he was going to miss. A few minutes before I said that I hope he isn't taking one as he was holding his hands to his face and lost colour in his face due to nerves. Never in a million years was he going to score that peno

spwd

People going overboard on his penalty, yes it was weak but was absolutely nowhere near the worst out of all of them, pelle and BFS nevermind zaza Gabor were absolutely shocking pens, also he went the opposite side to where Neuer kept diving, it was just weak, but at least he kept it in the stadium!

Robbie Boy

It isn't hard to say that he was going to miss. A few minutes before I said that I hope he isn't taking one as he was holding his hands to his face and lost colour in his face due to nerves. Never in a million years was he going to score that peno
Yup, as soon as I saw him stepping up, I felt it was inevitable that he was going to miss. He then went on to hit a very unconvincing peno.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
You could see on his face, as it was getting closer to his turn, with the cameras panning to the Italy team, just how scared Darmian looked.
I also expected Schweinsteiger to miss, and he duly obliged.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Ronaldo scored a lot more than he missed to be fair.

But yes, you can't judge Darmian the penalty taker here with any great certainty but I though from quite shortly into his United career that he lacks confidence at the top level.
Ronaldo who is a great goal scorer has missed some penalties. Against Barca, against Chelsea, against Bayern in the shoot out 2012, has already missed one in this Euros. Of course he has also scored a lot but he is expected to do so whereas Darmian really is not expected to take penalties.

Bojan11

Our potential new signing Mkhitaryan refused to take one a few years back. I can't believe the criticism he is getting. It is perfectly normal to be shitting it when you a fullback in those situations unless you Alves, Alaba or Roberto Carlos.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Spot on. Which is why criticizing penalties is always the worst kneejerking. It becomes doubly bad when some attempt to link a missed NT penalty with their regular season club form.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He needs to get rid of those sideburns, him thinking that it looks nice is far bigger concern about him than his penalty miss.

Irrational.

:lol:

Penalties don't tell you shit about a player's mentality. It's a complete gamble the majority of the time. The most you can do is hit it on target and hope the keeper gets it wrong.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
:lol:

Penalties don't tell you shit about a player's mentality. It's a complete gamble the majority of the time. The most you can do is hit it on target and hope the keeper gets it wrong.
I couldn't disagree more. If you hit it hard enough and low/high into the corners, the keeper is never going to say it... it's very much a skill, not a gamble.

I agree it probably doesn't tell you as much about a players mentality as people would have you believe (and Darmian looks like he's going to shit himself every time he passes the half way line, so obviously he's going to look shit scared when faced with actually taking a penalty) but yeah... it's way more then just a gamble/hit and hope.

The United

Our potential new signing Mkhitaryan refused to take one a few years back. I can't believe the criticism he is getting. It is perfectly normal to be shitting it when you a fullback in those situations unless you Alves, Alaba or Roberto Carlos.
LOL good one.

Let's see if CAF is going to call him a spineless shit and what not.

Darmian was not supposed to take one normally.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Said to my mates this is over as soon as Darmian is up. Couldn't see him scoring it, in any case.

Sid234

Expected to see people on here sympathize with Darmian but instead i see posts questioning his mentality. Give the guy a break.

Some of you talk like it's a walk in the park to take a deciding penalty in the QF's of the Euro's where you have to score against the best GK in the world. Especially after you've had to see Pelle's crappy excuse for a pen and Zaza's chicken dance! It's nerve-racking stuff and not everyone is capable of taking exceptional penalties. There is a reason he was so far down the pecking order for pen takers

NK86

No, I was being factious but feck me he was in bits before taking that so I like others worry about his temperment.
Did you see Muller? I was certain he will miss. He looked like he had already shat his pants.

NK86

I felt he was struggling big time and it ultimately hit his confidence and whether we like it or not, confidence will always affect a player especially one who had just moved leagues to a new team and the whole team was massively underperforming. If the team was playing well then I feel it would have released some pressure off him.

If you see Valencia or Young, one who will rather jump off a cliff than use his left leg to pass and another is "Mr. Pass to his full back rather than take his man on", then the same allegations of being mentally weak can be levelled at them for these reasonsw.

Some players are not very gifted with the ball at their feet but Darmian never shirked from his main duties as a defender and always looked confident (apart from that game against Sanchez) when he was defending. Just feel that his lack of skills as a rampaging full back is coloring a lot of opinions here who are taking it as a lack of bottle.

NK86

Bayern should sell him for being mentally weak like that...
Yeah, people need to realize that players are human and sometimes pressure gets to you. That does not mean you are generally mentally weak. Darmian is not a regular penalty taker and his team's destiny riding on his pen taking skills in sudden death was obviously going to have some effect. Not everyone can hide their emotions and act like a robot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Bayern should sell him for being mentally weak like that...
The thing is Darmian has been mentally feeble ever since he joined us.. bar the first few games he looks absolutely clueless. This just enhances that viewpoint.

Muller is just having a shite tourney. Its a different kettle of fish.

ti vu

Are there this much Italy fan on RedCafe? Or just losing better? Or just scapegoat hater?

It's a great game for neutral fans. It's not like United is losing...

Last edited:

The United

So are you agreeing with @Bojan11 or not? :lol:

The "LOL good one" bit has thrown me a tad
Well I was agreeing with him in general. Since he is a new shiny toy which hasn't had a bad performance yet, so people would not judge his mentality and what not. Which is a good thing of course. It is just a bit over the top that our won fans going ridiculous on our own players in convincing that they are shit.

I mean might as well read pool's forums instead for it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, but that doesn't make him mentally weak. It just makes him a bad (unconfident) penalty shooter.

I knew that Trezeguet was going to lose it in 2006 the moment I saw him going to shoot. I was saying yesterday to my brother and his wife (Italian), 'don't worry, Schweinsteiger is going to lose it'. Does that make these two players mentally weak? Muller is one of the top big match players in recent history and he lost it yesterday as he did in UCL' semis. Pelle was so confident that he was saying to Neuer that I am going to do a panenka and then completely missed the target.

I think that people are over-analyzing this. Darmian isn't a good penalty taker and it seems he knows it too. There were other players yesterday (Germany's right back and Italy's left back) who looked as unconfident as Darmian in the run, and they scored the pens.

The United

Yeah, but that doesn't make him mentally weak. It just makes him a bad (unconfident) penalty shooter.

I knew that Trezeguet was going to lose it in 2006 the moment I saw him going to shoot. I was saying yesterday to my brother and his wife (Italian), 'don't worry, Schweinsteiger is going to lose it'. Does that make these two players mentally weak? Muller is one of the top big match players in recent history and he lost it yesterday as he did in UCL' semis. Pelle was so confident that he was saying to Neuer that I am going to do a panenka and then completely missed the target.

I think that people are over-analyzing this. Darmian isn't a good penalty taker and it seems he knows it too. There were other players yesterday (Germany's right back and Italy's left back) who looked as unconfident as Darmian in the run, and they scored the pens.
That's pretty much it. I have watched football for ages and hardly have seen a very very few penalty takers looked confident unless their teams were already comfortably winning.

It is pretty much hindsight shit. I thought pretty much all penalty takers last night on that shoot out seemed nervous as feck. Why wouldn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.