Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley R1+O

Thought he was great until the last 5-10 minutes when he went to shit a bit, but maybe he was tired I guess. I actually thought he was possibly our best player first half though weirdly, very aggressive and composed in defence. Him, Pogba and Fred were all big positives from the game for me overall though.
Yep he worked hard tonight, that is all you can really ask for. Got stuck in and facilitated - Not even sure why people are just yelling "SHIT!!" for. Kinda weird just going after minor things to moan about.

Loublaze

ATLien
Worked hard but he's simply not good enough. Hope he can finally move on before the window closes.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He’ll go back to playing a minimal role when Dalot/Valencia are back.

But whilst they aren’t ready, I do hope he just continues to work hard and not do anything stupid.

Andersons Dietician

I noticed a general theme last night that most thought he was atrocious. Couldn’t decide if I was just blind to it or it’s just the usual CAF have decided he is awful long ago so must keep saying it. He certainly had issues with gray and Chillwell and wasn’t really helped out by Mata but overall thought he was actually quite good. Aggressive, tried to steal the ball before there was any danger and one thing he and Luke do that Valencia and Young don’t tend to do as much is get forward and offer themselves in dangerous positions and have the willingness to go at that space.
Glad to see there are people who didn’t think he was just awful.

Seanus

Not awful but perhaps a sign we are a long way from the level we need to be at when a 5.5 out of 10 is seen as acceptable?

The Purley King

Standard performance from him ie pretty shit.
Gray owned him whenever he ran at him and he offered 0 going forward.
Hopefully we can see what dalot can do soon and sell Darmian.

Hes 100% deadweight. If Shaw finally gets his breakthrough season and manage to stay fit, we might have the LB sorted, but RB is still an issue. Valencia is getting old and Darmian just isn't the quality we need.
We have Dalot remember

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
we are stilla t the point when Mata and Darmian start on the RW, that's pretty awful. Mata could be still kept as a squadie/ impact sub this last year, Darmian is just poor, anyone would be playing better in his position anyone.. I mean look at his touch he's got a touch of heavyweight boxer after 3 rounds of box, can't pass to save his life, has absolutely no dribbling always passes back and puts us under pressure, can't defend.. horrible player would rather put Bailly there

izec

Hope we sell him for 15m and move on. Valencia and Dalot are enough.

He started badly, got better. Decent, but i would take the money. He wants the move too

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's just too limited. Going forward he's really poor while he's a mediocre defender at best.

haram

I may be the only one who thought he was decent?
Wasn't as bad as some people are making out. Still need better on the ball and he did get roasted by Gray a couple times.

True, and he might be one for the future. but i honestly dont think a freshly signed 19 year old is going to help us much this season. Hope he proves me wrong though
I think he will :drool:;)

He's probably better than Darmian but not as good as Valencia, which is fine imo.

JMack1234

I felt very sorry for Darmian.

Of course I don't know him personally, but I feel that he's a decent honest bloke who just wants to go back home and play football. He must know that he's completely out of his depth here and he'll be 3rd choice before too long.

Personally I think we're keeping him to play against Brighton and Spurs and then we'll look to move him before the European windows close.

Fracture90

Was OK, he was always gonna struggle with super quick Chivel and Gray going up against him with him having only Mata as his backup.

He did his job on Friday.

stevoc

I noticed a general theme last night that most thought he was atrocious. Couldn’t decide if I was just blind to it or it’s just the usual CAF have decided he is awful long ago so must keep saying it. He certainly had issues with gray and Chillwell and wasn’t really helped out by Mata but overall thought he was actually quite good. Aggressive, tried to steal the ball before there was any danger and one thing he and Luke do that Valencia and Young don’t tend to do as much is get forward and offer themselves in dangerous positions and have the willingness to go at that space.
I didn't watch the match the other night, are you talking about that match in isolation or Darmian in general?

Because Darmian and a willingness to get forward don't belong in the same sentence based on what i've seen over his 3 years at United.

stevoc

If we are still at the point when Mata and Darmian start on the RW, that's pretty awful. Mata could be still kept as a squadie/ impact sub this last year, Darmian is just poor, anyone would be playing better in his position anyone.. I mean look at his touch he's got a touch of heavyweight boxer after 3 rounds of box, can't pass to save his life, has absolutely no dribbling always passes back and puts us under pressure, can't defend.. horrible player would rather put Bailly there
Yeah thats 5 transfer windows Mourinho has had now to rectify it. Has there been a less dynamic and more pedestrian winger/fullback combination in.. well ever?

I'm at the point where i just can't watch a game where these two start together, it's soul crushing. In 25-30 years if i've been able to get to a match or it's been televised then i have made time to watch. Before this season i missed maybe 5-10 games that i could have watched but only due to weddings/funerals etc.

But with Bayern and Leicester thats two games in a row now where i've turned the game on seen Darmian and Mata lining up on the right and turned it off again. I just can't watch that shit, anymore.

Andersons Dietician

I didn't watch the match the other night, are you talking about that match in isolation or Darmian in general?

Because Darmian and a willingness to get forward don't belong in the same sentence based on what i've seen over his 3 years at United.
We must watch different games as even when he was on the left he got in more dangerous areas that Valencia and Young combined. Valencia and Young have some issue about going beyond the 18 yarder, Darmian does not, he maybe doesn’t carry the ball out and fly up the wing which I suspect is what most people envision when they think of fullbacks getting forward. But watch he and Shaw, they get up and they are offering to go behind the back line and will make runs which Young and Valencia do not. I’ve seen Carrick and Martial both pointing and shouting at Valencia to go in to space and he has just stood back.
He’s also crossing wise leap years ahead of Valencia on the right.

SpyLuke10

Darmian is Italian for 'not United quality' isn't it?

Honestly the man struggles to defend against championship level defenders, and going forward hes pretty meh as well. I'm surprised there wasn't a lot less interest from Serie A teams and a lot more interest from Serie B teams.

stevoc

We must watch different games as even when he was on the left he got in more dangerous areas that Valencia and Young combined. Valencia and Young have some issue about going beyond the 18 yarder, Darmian does not, he maybe doesn’t carry the ball out and fly up the wing which I suspect is what most people envision when they think of fullbacks getting forward. But watch he and Shaw, they get up and they are offering to go behind the back line and will make runs which Young and Valencia do not. I’ve seen Carrick and Martial both pointing and shouting at Valencia to go in to space and he has just stood back.
We definitely seem to mate, lots of other people must be watching different games as well. Because if you look back over his performances threads in the last 3 seasons you will see literally hundreds of posts from people commenting on his complete unwillingness to rarely ever venture beyond the halfway line most of the time. Are we all suffering from some sort of mass hallucination?

I've seen plenty of games where Darmian didn't pass the half way line more than several times. And some where he never crossed it at all.

Andersons Dietician

We definitely seem to mate, lots of other people must be watching different games as well. Because if you look back over his performances threads in the last 3 seasons you will see literally hundreds of posts from people commenting on his complete unwillingness to rarely ever venture beyond the halfway line most of the time. Are we all suffering from some sort of mass hallucination?

I've seen plenty of games where Darmian didn't pass the half way line more than several times. And some where he never crossed it at all.
I think a lot of it is just a case of the Smallings where people made up their mind about him long ago so now the consensus is no matter what he does he is rubbish in the eyes of the CAF. Because Unwillingness to go beyond the halfway line is bonkers to me. Because every time he plays even if the ball is down on the left if you look at the top of your screen there he is giving an option. I’m sure there are games where he has sat back, probably against the higher teams when we’ve played 6 at the back and even the likes of Martial and Rashford were struggiling to get up the field.

stevoc

I think a lot of it is just a case of the Smallings where people made up their mind about him long ago so now the consensus is no matter what he does he is rubbish in the eyes of the CAF. Because Unwillingness to go beyond the halfway line is bonkers to me. Because every time he plays even if the ball is down on the left if you look at the top of your screen there he is giving an option. I’m sure there are games where he has sat back, probably against the higher teams when we’ve played 6 at the back and even the likes of Martial and Rashford were struggiling to get up the field.
Mate the biggest criticism of him during his time at United has almost certainly been about the attacking side of his game or the complete lack there of. Come on you've seen people complain during and after games about the lack of attacking threat he provides whenever he plays haven't you?

They aren't making it up they are reacting to what they've seen in matches. The Smalling stuff is a bit different in that most of the criticism surrounding him is about his ability on the ball, which is largely subjective and blown out of all proportion by some. Almost everyone agrees he's poor on the ball though, with most of the discussion being just how detrimental that is to United's overall play.

But with Darmian you watch him regularly and you'll see he barely gets up the pitch most games. 9 times out of 10 he'll just about cross the half way line receive the ball and then pass it back and walk back to his position. And not just against the top sides, there was an FA Cup game vs Sheffield United where i was convinced he didn't enter the oppositions half.

Now i have definitely seen games where he has tried to get up and offer an outlet, a game on the left vs Palace 2 years comes to mind where he assisted and scored i think. But those games are few and far between.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Yeah thats 5 transfer windows Mourinho has had now to rectify it. Has there been a less dynamic and more pedestrian winger/fullback combination in.. well ever?

I'm at the point where i just can't watch a game where these two start together, it's soul crushing. In 25-30 years if i've been able to get to a match or it's been televised then i have made time to watch. Before this season i missed maybe 5-10 games that i could have watched but only due to weddings/funerals etc.

But with Bayern and Leicester thats two games in a row now where i've turned the game on seen Darmian and Mata lining up on the right and turned it off again. I just can't watch that shit, anymore.
I still watch every game if I can, just never watch only football because it's so boring and dull that I am doing something else at the same time. It's so sad because there were days when I was glued to the screen and would be excited, clapping my hands and shouting around every minute for some good piece of action goals etc.. but now? There is absolutely nothing exciting in our football and a player like Darmian makes me wanna cry, everytime I see him as a RB I am get depressed, Mata still is a valuable squad player who will be replaced soon but the starting two it's just very underwhelming... and there are other positions..

Andersons Dietician

Mate the biggest criticism of him during his time at United has almost certainly been about the attacking side of his game or the complete lack there of. Come on you've seen people complain during and after games about the lack of attacking threat he provides whenever he plays haven't you?

They aren't making it up they are reacting to what they've seen in matches. The Smalling stuff is a bit different in that most of the criticism surrounding him is about his ability on the ball, which is largely subjective and blown out of all proportion by some. Almost everyone agrees he's poor on the ball though, with most of the discussion being just how detrimental that is to United's overall play.

But with Darmian you watch him regularly and you'll see he barely gets up the pitch most games. 9 times out of 10 he'll just about cross the half way line receive the ball and then pass it back and walk back to his position. And not just against the top sides, there was an FA Cup game vs Sheffield United where i was convinced he didn't enter the oppositions half.

Now i have definitely seen games where he has tried to get up and offer an outlet, a game on the left vs Palace 2 years comes to mind where he assisted and scored i think. But those games are few and far between.
Ive seen it discussed but doesn’t mean agree with any of it, because I think a lot of it is absolute rubbish, if people think he doesn’t get forward enough god knows what these people think of Valencia and Young.
In pre season he has probably already put in more decent crosses in more dangerous positions than Valencia has in the last year. When he also played on the left he was a lot more dangerous than anyone else we had other than that period.

I think a lot of what he gives us again goes unnoticed and a lot of it because “the CAF” have made up their mind on him. Yesterday for example he was good, yet I saw a lot of posts declaring him the worst player on the pitch and so on when quite frankly it wasn’t true at all.

Anyway we ain’t going to agree on it, i’m Not going to conform to the CAF opinion on him because what I see and what others clearly don’t see is vastly different. He is by no means perfect, he’s far from it, but if it’s between he and Valencia then i’d Rather keep Darmian.

Edit: hopefully Dalot solves all the issues of that position or Shaw makes LB his own so we can shift Young to the right.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That’s exactly it, he looks like he’s doing the right things. He does get himself in dangerous positions. However if you compile all the touches and decisions he makes when he gets the ball it’s beyond laughable. That’s the reason why no one wants to pay more than 5 quid for him

stevoc

Ive seen it discussed but doesn’t mean agree with any of it, because I think a lot of it is absolute rubbish, if people think he doesn’t get forward enough god knows what these people think of Valencia and Young.
In pre season he has probably already put in more decent crosses in more dangerous positions than Valencia has in the last year. When he also played on the left he was a lot more dangerous than anyone else we had other than that period.

I think a lot of what he gives us again goes unnoticed and a lot of it because “the CAF” have made up their mind on him. Yesterday for example he was good, yet I saw a lot of posts declaring him the worst player on the pitch and so on when quite frankly it wasn’t true at all.

Anyway we ain’t going to agree on it, i’m Not going to conform to the CAF opinion on him because what I see and what others clearly don’t see is vastly different. He is by no means perfect, he’s far from it, but if it’s between he and Valencia then i’d Rather keep Darmian.

Edit: hopefully Dalot solves all the issues of that position or Shaw makes LB his own so we can shift Young to the right.
See i haven't watched any of our pre-season games or the Leicester match. So it's possible he has been getting up the pitch a lot more and attacking in those matches and that could colouring your own opinion of his attacking output.

But judging him over the his United career as a whole i honestly have no idea how you can say he's not only an attacking fullback like Shaw but more attacking than Valencia and Young. To be honest mate i find that opinion a bit bizarre, no idea how you can think that way but fair enough you are entitled to your own opinion.

I was never the biggest fan of Valencia at RB and he is on the wane, but at least he gets up the pitch even if he's not very effective. And he's still solid enough defensively, even at 33 he's twice the player Darmian has been for United.

Foxbatt

I have seen Damian play for Italy on both sides and he is good. He attacks and he crosses and he shoots from long range. Maybe he is confident that his manager for Italy trusts him so he can play his normal game. His crossing and his movements off the ball is a lot better than either Valencia or that of Young. Yes he is slow compared to both of them. Valencia is one of the quickest defenders in the PL and hence it is not easy for forwards to go by him that easily unlike Darmian. Having Gary against him and the with Leicester left back attacking against him with Mata in front of him will give anyone nightmares. I saw many times the Leicester full back running with the ball and Mata just unable to even harass him with Darmian left alone to deal with the full back and Gray at the same time.
We need a right sided midfield player who can both attack and defend and send Mata on his way.

Murray3007

1st half was terrible no help as usual from mata as chilwell just left him for dead all the time. 2nd half defence wise thought he done well, actually attacked the ball and not let his man just ghost past him. think he will be in for the next few weeks due to injurys so hopefully continues his 2nd half performances.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
1st half was terrible no help as usual from mata as chilwell just left him for dead all the time. 2nd half defence wise thought he done well, actually attacked the ball and not let his man just ghost past him. think he will be in for the next few weeks due to injurys so hopefully continues his 2nd half performances.
I think if a good offer comes in and Young returns, he might be allowed to leave.

Yeah, hes far from as bad as some make out. Positioning wise he's actually better than Valencia. Mata was awful defensively in the first half, Chilwell(?) just kept running the length of the pitch past him. No full back looks good against that.

Status
Not open for further replies.