Position: Defender - Right-Back/Left-Back
Foot: Right
Player Agent: TMP SOCCER srl
Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2020​

binary bot
Matteo 'the hostage' Darmian.

Rumour has it Woodward starts negotiations with a cardboard cutout of him. He'll get something of value for you any day now, Matteo.

Ban

What a bizarre situation, he isn't getting any games but we can't sell him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I have no idea how he's still at this club tbh. Even bigger joke is extending the contract because we wanted to get a fee for him only to keep him longer because nobody wants to pay it.

IrishRedDevil

I feel kinda sorry for him, he seems like a bit of a loner in the squad and us fans clearly don’t have any love for him. He has wanted out for a few seasons now yet it’s dragged on and on.

Revaulx

A real shame for him and the club, he’s a solid defender.
I cannot believe this is a thread in 2019.
Both true.

It was obvious by the end of his first season that he wasn't going to make it here, yet he's almost certainly about to go into his FIFTH season. He's done nothing to deserve being vilified just because he's the poster boy for the club's shambolic squad management.

Bwuk

The fact he’s about to enter his 5th season is mind boggling.

Sparky Rhiwabon

We seem to have been holding out for that extra £2m for about two years now (whilst paying out much more in wages).

UncleBob

He's not even a bad player. He'd be a solid player on Serie A or La Liga imo. United should be doing more for him if he wants a move imo.
Like what ? Let him leave on a free transfer ?

Sir Scott McToMinay

Like what ? Let him leave on a free transfer ?
Sell him for a low price, rather that than pay his salary and than lose him on a free whenever his contract runs out, on top of fecking up the man’s career.
I Understand that Woodward knows absolutely nothing about football, but surely he should understand that you can’t expect to sell a player who’s literally not playing at all for decent money, not happening.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Sell him for a low price, rather that than pay his salary and than lose him on a free whenever his contract runs out, on top of fecking up the man’s career.
I Understand that Woodward knows absolutely nothing about football, but surely he should understand that you can’t expect to sell a player who’s literally not playing at all for decent money, not happening.
This, pretty much. We don't know the truth of the situation, Darmian might like not playing football. But if he does want to move and we've talked him into signing a new deal to get more money, but now can't find a buyer, we need to change our expectations. The guy never plays, has remained very professional and now deserves to play football.

If we had a bit of class we'd help sort the mess we've created that is now ruining his career.

binary bot
It further highlights the need for someone with a footballing background in Woodwards role, or as a DOF.

Darmian and Rojo seem like they've been viewed purely as assets on a balance sheet.

Irwin99

I cannot believe this is a thread in 2019.
Completely agree. It's just crazy. The guy was an Italian international and he is a decent defender in the right set up/right league. What a waste of a career and i'd much rather we play a youngster who might have a future at the club than a guy who can't wait for his nightmare career move to be over.

stevoc

Thats exactly what we should have done, let him go for 500,000 or a million. He's an awful player let's be honest, he can barely even make it into the current United squad, never mind team and can't even displace a 34 years old winger at RB.

So it was obvious no club was ever going to pay any sort of decent fee for him. We should have let him move on last summer for whatever was offered and just got him off the wage bill. Over the last 2 years he's probably cost the club around £6-7m in wages and that could be close to £10m if he stays here another year.

I wonder if he could have done more himself to try to get out of United for the sake of his career. He can't be happy sitting in the stands month after month for years.

Ban

It is strange he hasn't pushed from his end. Maybe he has but it doesn't seem like it from outside. Ed should just let him go cause it's pretty obvious Ole doesn't rate him. It's a pity cause I think he'd more useful than Young although that isn't saying much.
What a waste of a career sadly.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I always think he does a very serviceable job whenever he plays. He is a far better full back than Young, but is not English and does not overtly display pashun.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thats exactly what we should have done, let him go for 500,000 or a million. He's an awful player let's be honest, he can barely even make it into the current United squad, never mind team and can't even displace a 34 years old winger at RB.

So it was obvious no club was ever going to pay any sort of decent fee for him. We should have let him move on last summer for whatever was offered and just got him off the wage bill. Over the last 2 years he's probably cost the club around £6-7m in wages and that could be close to £10m if he stays here another year.

I wonder if he could have done more himself to try to get out of United for the sake of his career. He can't be happy sitting in the stands month after month for years.
Some players can be just like that, I don't know if it is the case for him. He was playing for Italy when we signed him. The whole thing is weird.

flappyjay

We have also fecked his career he has been ready to leave since 2 summers ago

Kostov

If someone needs a demonstration of how badly the club is being run, then take a look at this guy and Rojo. On to the 5th season here, earning a wage and being absolutely out of any plans or needs whatsoever.

Raw

If someone needs a demonstration of how badly the club is being run, then take a look at this guy and Rojo. On to the 5th season here, earning a wage and being absolutely out of any plans or needs whatsoever.
Halfway to having a testimonial!

Jacob

You've got to feel sorry for him considering the way United has treated him. If he isn't good enough, fine, move him on. But no, let's keep him as a backup that will never be used.

The wages paid during this time surely makes up for any underbid we've received for him.

stevoc

Some players can be just like that, I don't know if it is the case for him. He was playing for Italy when we signed him. The whole thing is weird.
We've seen it with guys like Bogarde in the past who are picking up a huge wage they wouldn't get elsewhere so they just sit out their contract. But all reports seem to indicate Darmian is on £50-60k per week. I'm sure he could get a similar wage in Italy.

flappyjay

We've seen it with guys like Bogarde in the past who are picking up a huge wage they wouldn't get elsewhere so they just sit out their contract. But all reports seem to indicate Darmian is on £50-60k per week. I'm sure he could get a similar wage in Italy.
He was ready to leave but we prized him out of a move to inter and I think juventus over the past 2 summers. It's either he is highly professional for not kicking up a fuss or he does enjoy his salary. I think he is just a good pro

redIndianDevil

He would have no problem finding suitors especially in Italy, but most of them are put off by the transfer fee we demand I guess.

stevoc

He was ready to leave but we prized him out of a move to inter and I think juventus over the past 2 summers. It's either he is highly professional for not kicking up a fuss or he does enjoy his salary. I think he is just a good pro
Two years ago there were lunatics on here who thought he was worth north of £25m for some reason the club seemed to agree as we reportedly turned down offers of around £16m for him. Last summer the offers were around £10m but we probably still wanted £16m.

We'll never sell him, he wasn't even worth what we paid for him in 2015, he's a dud who's barely played for 2 years. So it's baffling that the club think his value has somehow increased.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Whatever lukaku ends up in serie A we should just let darmian go with him.

Water Melon

Should have let him go when there was half a decent offer. I am sure Woody decided he can get more, so here we are paying his wages and letting him see his contract out. As a result we will have paid his wages in full and got square root of feck all in return.

Based Adnan

In the last 2 seasons the guy has played a total of 24 games including sub appearances despite no major injuries and he's still here :lol::lol::lol:

Sums us up

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is not included in the travelling squad for next preseason game.

Status
Not open for further replies.