Matteo Darmian image 36

Matteo Darmian Italy flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

Apparently Barcelona are looking into him? :lol: I seriously can't imagine any club paying money for Darmian, he basically hasn't been playing proper football in years. What a waste of a career.

Lemansky

He ain’t travelling to Norway so might be close to a transfer somewhere else.

Andersons Dietician

Always remember him being able to put a better cross in on his swinger under pressure than Valencia could on his right with all the time in the world. Was a good player but for some reason he’s never solidified a place even when he was easily better than Valencia was.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Always remember him being able to put a better cross in on his swinger under pressure than Valencia could on his right with all the time in the world. Was a good player but for some reason he’s never solidified a place even when he was easily better than Valencia was.
He stared as first choice RB and played really well. Then he looked completely out of his depth, failing to deal with the intensity of the game. That's when Valencia was back into the team and played well.

stevoc

Before he came to United perhaps, been awful during his time at United though. Which is why he couldn't displace first Valencia and now Young at RB, 2 older converted wingers.

As for his crossing we haven't seen enough of it as to cross the ball you have to get up the pitch which Darmian very rarely does.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Darmian is available for £5.4M according to the Telegraph. I would be surprised if we can't find a buyer for him in the next month.

stevoc

Darmian is available for £5.4M according to the Telegraph. I would be surprised if we can't find a buyer for him in the next month.
I wouldn't i doubt any club is going to pay £5-6m for a dud thats sat on his arse for 2 years when they could pick him up in 12 months for nothing and probably on a smaller wage than he is currently. The only way i see him leaving now is on loan, for a free transfer or a token transfer fee.

If we had sold him for £10m 2 years ago when it was offered we would be about £16-17m better off right now than we currently are when you factor in his wages. More than enough to probably seal the Maguire deal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No club would pay a fee for him, in my opinion.
Of course they will. £5m is a very small amount for a player currently. They probably won't match his wages but he has to decide whether playing is more important.

DoomSlayer

Of course they will. £5m is a very small amount for a player currently. They probably won't match his wages but he has to decide whether playing is more important.
It might be small, but why would anyone realistically pay any money for Darmian? They can get him for free next summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It might be small, but why would anyone realistically pay any money for Darmian? They can get him for free next summer.
If a club needs a new right back or somebody to cover LB/RB this year - then £5m is clearly worth it.

SATA

Villa should be buying him. Do they have any money left after all that spending? He’ll be probably better than any of their fullbacks they have

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Waste of a career. Hope we find him a club, he's not even a bad player.

DoomSlayer

5m pounds they will, As his salary is not astronomical
I don't agree, Darmian is literally unknown quality at the moment as he has played 14 league games in the last 2 seasons, a lot of them as a substitute as well. He has 1 year left on his contract and anyone interested can get him on a free next summer.

Maybe for £1-£2 million some club could bite, but he is just not worth any sort of hassle.

Alemar

I don't agree, Darmian is literally unknown quality at the moment as he has played 14 league games in the last 2 seasons, a lot of them as a substitute as well. He has 1 year left on his contract and anyone interested can get him on a free next summer.

Maybe for £1-£2 million some club could bite, but he is just not worth any sort of hassle.
Some clubs may simply need a full back NOW. Darmian is a cheap option, he was known as a “defensive” full back and he even had caps for Italy I believe. Certainly he’s not a top club material, but for mid table teams in need of reinforcements his level of competence may suffice at a low price

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We've seen it with guys like Bogarde in the past who are picking up a huge wage they wouldn't get elsewhere so they just sit out their contract. But all reports seem to indicate Darmian is on £50-60k per week. I'm sure he could get a similar wage in Italy.
I'm trying to look for answers tbh, the whole thing makes no sense. He wasn't a valuable asset 2 years ago, he was never gonna get us a big transfer fee and since then his value has dropped.

UncleBob

Sell him for a low price, rather that than pay his salary and than lose him on a free whenever his contract runs out, on top of fecking up the man’s career.
I Understand that Woodward knows absolutely nothing about football, but surely he should understand that you can’t expect to sell a player who’s literally not playing at all for decent money, not happening.
To any of our knowledge, there hasn't been any actual bids...There's claims certain Italian clubs wanted to loan him with us paying a % of his wages.

It's tempting to put you in the bracket you've deemed fit for Woodward

Always remember that Dutch fullback at Chelsea Bogarde , spent 4 years there and played something like 12 games. This is our version.
Bogarde.

Completly different, Bogarde wouldn’t move because he was on massive wages. Darmain has previously come out to say he wants to go back to Italy - in this case it’s either no one wanting him/ or Utd asking too much.

We all know Darmian is crap, but it’s the club holding on to him. Chelsea wanted rid of Bogarde for years.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I really don't get the logic of why we renewed his contract. If we managed to sell him this summer it was never likely to be more then we would risk paying him in wages.

If their was a chance he would contribute to the first team then i'd get, but that never seems to have been on the cards.

I use to think Woodward was at least a smart businessman, but what he is doing with player contracts is beyond stupid.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Why would he sign for another club when he can get paid his current wages for another year (which he probably wouldn't make elsewhere) and sign as a free agent next summer? I would be surprised if he agrees to any move, regardless which team. I also don't believe any big clubs are in for him given he hasn't looked that good, is approaching 30, and only has a year left on his contract. The party his transfer would benefit is United.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Where have he been all these years anyway? Seems never see him play.

kouroux

Why would he sign for another club when he can get paid his current wages for another year (which he probably wouldn't make elsewhere) and sign as a free agent next summer? I would be surprised if he agrees to any move, regardless which team. I also don't believe any big clubs are in for him given he hasn't looked that good, is approaching 30, and only has a year left on his contract. The party his transfer would benefit is United.
If a club can give him wages similar those his and a guarantee of more playing time, he could be interested of course.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If a club can give him wages similar those his and a guarantee of more playing time, he could be interested of course.
I don't see why a club would pay a transfer fee AND match his wages when he's almost 30, not that good, and only has a year left on his deal. I would imagine all the clubs who are actually capable of paying his wages would be better off taking a punt on youth prospect.

kouroux

I don't see why a club would pay a transfer fee AND match his wages when he's almost 30, not that good, and only has a year left on his deal. I would imagine all the clubs who are actually capable of paying his wages would be better off taking a punt on youth prospect.
He's not that good for us but he is interesting for some clubs in Italy.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
He's not that good for us but he is interesting for some clubs in Italy.
I just don't see any sane team paying a fee for a player like Damian while matching his wages. If a team in Italy wants a player like him I would be floored if there wasn't a similar player like him available for loan.

kouroux

I just don't see any sane team paying a fee for a player like Damian while matching his wages. If a team in Italy wants a player like him I would be floored if there wasn't a similar player like him available for loan.
Just because we don't see it , doesn't mean there aren't clubs interested all over the world.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Just because we don't see it , doesn't mean there aren't clubs interested all over the world.
It's not about interest. It's about value for money. I'm sure there are many clubs that would want him to play for them, but given his age, contract situation, playing level, and potential fee I don't understand what any team would do it. At this point, United would probably accept a loan deal to get his salary off the books for a year.

kouroux

It's not about interest. It's about value for money. I'm sure there are many clubs that would want him to play for them, but given his age, contract situation, playing level, and potential fee I don't understand what any team would do it. At this point, United would probably accept a loan deal to get his salary off the books for a year.
Oh you're talking about now when I was talking about before we extended him. We should have let him on a free, not like Darmian was gonna generate a high transfer fee.
I think we made a stupid gamble with his situation that clubs would still be interested in him for a fee rather than on free.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Oh you're talking about now when I was talking about before we extended him. We should have let him on a free, not like Darmian was gonna generate a high transfer fee.
I think we made a stupid gamble with his situation that clubs would still be interested in him for a fee rather than on free.
I agree extending him was very stupid.

Jacob

He seemed capable at CB imo, should be tried more often ahead of Bailly, Jones and Rojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.